Potters Not Barred: Lego Harry Potter Demo

By Kieron Gillen on June 28th, 2010 at 12:00 pm.

Are those the Weasleys? Many sat that Jamie McKelvie and I are comics' answer to the Weasleys. I think it's an insult, but wouldn't know.

I’m pretty sure that title line doesn’t work at all, but it’s early. So early, that I even posted this story with just the title at 9:27, before I’d written anything. Man! I need more tea. Anyway, it’s later in the day now, and as we mentioned on Friday, the most outstanding literature sequence of the last fifteen years has finally been given its long-expected treatment in Lego. But now there’s a demo. Which you can play, the gaming equivalent of standing in Borders and just reading the first few chapters of the fucker. And to prepare you, here’s the trailer…

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. robrob says:

The Fucker, the new novel by JK Rowling.

2. Kast says:

Having played the demo, it keeps the same silly and irreverent attitude of previous Lego X games and I like what I think are new features of levitating tetris-shape bricks to form new steps and platforms. The control system is fiddly as hell on the PC though. In the second example level you are given control of four characters at once and flipping between them AND choosing the right ability for the task is really too convoluted for what is essentially a casual child-oriented game.

3. Mac says:

“The Fucker – Harry Potter and the Wizard Gigalo”

4. 1nightStand says:

I want a Lego No Country for Old Men.

5. Malcolm says:

I love the Travellers Tales Lego games – and barring the extended Indy one I think I’ve played them all so Harry Potter was an immediate steam purchase for me. Excellent fun so far, and Harry Potter seems a pretty good fit (more so than Indy or Batman I think) – not that I’m a great fan of Harry Potter generally. There’s a few new features (mainly the slightly more freeform lego assembly puzzles) but it’s a good example of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

6. Sobric says:

As someone mentioned on a previous DX thread, I’d quite like to see Lego versions of classic PC games: Lego Deus Ex; Lego Fallout; Lego System Shock.

It could work, honest.

No, really.

7. bansama says:

Sweet. Been looking forward to this one. Here’s hoping it’s not regionally restricted on Steam when it gets released in a few days time. While I’m waiting, I’ll be downloading that demo, I’m sure my girls will love this one.

8. Gareth says:

Lego games are such a great idea, but I agree that a few more “mature” subjects might be amusing. Lego Night of the Living Dead? Lego Lovecraft, maybe, where you can either be “good”, detecting, or bad, and making your own crazy\horrific creations out of bricks.

9. Pmeie says:

I really don’t like lego games… they just seem to take something I like and turn it into something soulless.. :<

• kyynis says:

Lego is only plastic element known to man that actually has a soul. True story.

• Pmeie says:

Yeah… it’s probably because I never got attached to lego as a kid… and that’s probably because I never really had any… even though I wanted it so bad :<

My parent just saw stuff like that as a burden on their money ……………………. srsly. :|

• Jayt says:

The whole charm for me is the fact I used to love them as a kid. So your probably right.

10. oceanclub says:

I love the DS versions of these games, but found that the XBox/PC versions are just too fiddly – analogue controls aren’t always the best.

P.

11. DigitalSignalX says:

I’ve been playing this on and off some now for a couple days, it’s a guilty pleasure. The controls on PC are horrible, and the lack of a save game is frustrating. To exit you have to literally go back to a starter area just to get access to a “exit game” menu, where you then “get to exit to windows” and then a, “are you sure?” %$#@.

If you accidentally press the F2 key to allow a 2nd player co-op, I’ve yet to figure out how to reverse it back to single player without a restart.

The bad aside.. it’s just SO DAMN CUTE. The radial spell dial thing is nice, all the little animations and “grunt” voices. It does seem somewhat complex for a kid, but there’s rarely a real need to rush things so with time they should be able to figure things out.

• Dr_Ham says:

You need to bring up the menu from the second player (Enter on the keypad) The select drop out.
      This is helpful when your second character breaks the blocks you are trying so hard to stack up.

12. iainl says:

Having been to Legoland just yesterday, I discovered in the shop that they do LEGO Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time figures. Which surely has to go all meta and become videogame, right?

Also:

the most outstanding literature sequence of the last fifteen years

Anyone wanting to make LEGO: The Baroque Cycle is a total fucking genius. I’d say the same about James Ellroy’s Underworld USA trilogy, but yeah, right, that stands any more chance than LEGO: Alien.

13. Brulleks says:

@ Pmeie

Nah, I liked Lego as a kid, even though I only had some odds and ends of a kitchen set and one space kit. Bought Lego Star Wars and it really felt empty. There was no way of playing with the Lego – it just forms predefined shapes.

These games look like Lego, they’re branded like Lego but they sure as hell don’t play like Lego. There wasn’t even one single saucepan I could jam on Jar Jar Bink’s filthy head, twisting it until it came off and sticking a flower in its place. It’s just not the same.

14. WyldOne says:

Now if you want old schoole it HAS to be….

Lego adventure…

You are in a maze of twisty passages all alike and about to be eaten by a grue

15. Simone says:

Is there any way to save besides the autosave( playing on ps3 )? I find myself having to redo missions and rewatch videos because the autosave isn’t saving every time a challenge/mission is completed.

Comment on this story