Captain Blood Is Not Captain Blood

By Jim Rossignol on June 29th, 2010 at 1:14 pm.

By Captain Blood I am of course referring to Captain Blood, and not Captain Blood, because Captain Blood is that Captain Blood, obviously. But that’s not to say that 1c’s God Of War At Sea brawler isn’t looking appealling all on its own, just that the appeal is somewhat different, as you can see from GT’s E3 preview, which I looted for our own usages and linked below decks. I saw and played the Russian version of Captain Blood about two years ago, and it was looking reasonably polished and proficient at that time, so it’s a mystery that the appearance on Westernised shores has taken so long. Anyway, it’s slated for Q3 this year, and it’s kind of good to see this kind of action game looking so healthy.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Thirith says:

Wow… Captain Blood was one of the games I never managed to wrap my head around. Might have had something to do with me not having a manual, mind you…

2. Alexander Norris says:

So wait, is this coming to PC? Because the video is console stuff (also, eww, QTEs) and Jim’s post doesn’t state either way (yes, it probably wouldn’t be on RPS if it weren’t on PC, but you never know).

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, it’s deffo on PC. I think it was even shown on PC at the last 1c event.

• Centy says:

Don’t perpetuate the myth that we don’t want this kind of game please. Most of us have a 360 pad or similar these days and I wouldn’t mind giving this a bash since I have never owned a Sony console last time I got a taste of a good brawler was Spartan Total War on the cube and before that Streets of Rage on the MD.

More games of all kinds on PC please even if it’s pad only.

• subedii says:

I know that personally, I had a huge blast playing DMC4 on the PC, and this looks like a really solid action title already.

Regardless, they even point out in the preview that 1C are primarily a PC based publisher. Their entire catalogue is almost exclusively PC based, and if you go to their website, it lists the game as coming Q3 2010 for both PC and 360:

• TotalBiscuit says:

Get Ninja Blade, probably the best and most under-rated game of this type on the PC.

3. Yargh says:

and I so wanted to play a withering arm controlling a spaceship and seduce aliens with emotes once again.

• Tunips says:

Is there any modern remake/compatabalizer for the old Captain Blood? I’ve read the wiki article, and it seems like the sort of thing would play excessively.

• Baf says:

Have you tried DOSBox? That works wonders on most old DOS games. (Mind you, you’d have to be playing the DOS port for that to work, and it’s considerably less pretty than the Atari ST version.)

4. phlebas says:

CODE INFORMATION HELP

5. kulak says:

way to completely waste any opportunity for innovation using the pirate setting.

This kind of “finisher” action game was over played back in 1990, and a serious publisher is going to publish one without ANY kind of ambition of originality or innovation?

embarrassing.

• MartinNr5 says:

I think it looks great! So what if there’s nothing really groundbreaking as long as it’s well executed?

If we weren’t allowed to reuse old ideas there’d only be one driving game, etc.

6. Duoae says:

Is it just me or is he really similar to Victor Radek from Sin Episodes: Emergence?

Also… between this, Fable 2/3 and the Pirates of the Caribbean brawler… how many almost identical games (including the health bars etc) can exist at the same time?

• subedii says:

That’s probably a question for the Call of Modern Battlefields series.

Or as someone posted earlier:

• subedii says:

And really, even from the footage it’s pretty apparent this is going to be playing pretty differently from something like Fable.

• Duoae says:

Pretty differently? Are we watching two different videos here? It’s Fable but with finishers.

• subedii says:

What can I say? It looks like it plays differently. The combat flows much faster and seems a lot less clunky, as you’d expect from something that’s dedicated to being an action game as opposed to a mish-mash of different things as with Fable.

I mean in theory I could say that DMC4 plays “like Fable” but that’s only true to the extent of them being action games from a sort-of overhead perspective.

7. _Nocturnal says:

No, no, no. The quick moves seem all wrong for this huge character, the acrobatics lack weight, the appearance of coins looks ridiculous among the otherwise realistic visuals…

• Vitamin Powered says:

This.

Those sword antics are just… bahhh. The swords lack any form of weight or momentum, and their random flailing removes any illusion of lethalness.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Basically, it looks shallow. Flashy, but shallow.

8. Barbellion says:

This is a terrible waste of an opportunity. Rafael Sabatini’s captain Blood is a classic piece of pirate lore and this is a genero-slasher with crap music. Why not call it something else? It’ll either piss fans of the Giger-arm-ship version off, or piss fans of the original pirate version off, or in my case both. So I’m doubly pissed off. A waste of time.

9. Risingson says:

BTW, I saw the movie reciently and it’s still great. And Errol Flynn looks as gorgeous as ever, always fun, always witty. How beautiful he was in his first years.

10. jsutcliffe says:

No! The real Captain Blood is the Sabatini novel, or perhaps the Errol Flynn-starring adaptation. I really don’t understand how this God of War clone can be based on that lovely story.

11. SuperBladesman says:

There is only one Captain Blood (videogame) and I never understood it :(

12. DrGonzo says:

This looks completely bland and uninteresting. Although after playing Bayonetta pretty much all of these style games do.

13. Springy says:

“This game has rather unfitting music,” I thought, before realising that Gametrailers had scored the preview with the Verdun theme from Battlefield 2142.

14. Tei says:

I have fond memories of Commander Blood. It was a “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” with all, but the name. A fantastic game. Poetic.
    I also have very good memories of Captain Blood, the dark and white classic movie.
    I have no memories of Captain Blood, the space epic, because It was 16 bits of something, I never played it *sadface*

15. Huggster says:

Captain Blood was of course French, as all the best games of that time were (KULT??).
    I played it a lot, and most of the Aliens responded well by telling them you loved them using the symbol language. Quite sweet!
    I don’t think I have played anything like it since.

16. Beefeater1980 says:

We now need a retrospective on the real Captain Blood. I could never get past that first damn alien. You took him anywhere and he made a sad moue face about wanting to go home, and then disappeared. I guess he starved or something.

17. hydra9 says:

Captain Blood made me. That Captain Blood obviously. The one set in the Hydra galaxy.

18. Navagon says:

You cut people’s heads off. Coins come out. They encircle you and you absorb them.

Is this a capitalist version of Highlander?

19. terry says:

Captain Blood was the best icon-driven alien dating simulator ever.

20. Helm says:

Captain Blood remains an amazing adventure game and anyone who is intrigued by it would do well to play the Atari ST version (easily emulated) and NOT the Amiga version with a manual and the novel in hand. Those can be found at http://argnet.fatal-design.com/bluddian.php

This was one of the first websites I remember visiting on the internet. I was once so fluent in Captain Blood speak that I’ve written romantic poetry in it. Tell ‘em Helm sent you.

21. Jimbo says:

Huh, I was under the impression this was going to be one of those Sea Dogs style games that 1C puts out from time to time. This used to carry the ‘Age of Pirates’ name, right?

Speaking of pirates, ‘PotC: Armada of the Damned’ doesn’t look too shabby at all, and I’m pretty sure it’s coming out on PC. Has RPS had a chance to see it yet?

22. Pew says:

No love for Errol Flynn :(

Happy to see more pirate themed hack & slash games, but honestly we need a proper pirate adventure game where you can also create a fleet of ships and whatnot. The first Pirates of the Caribbean game (in 2003 or something?) did a decent job with that, until it started randomly crashing and wiping save games.

23. Psychopomp says:

If my forrays into brawlers that aren’t by Capcom or Platinum are any indication, I can’t wait to SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE QTE

24. grimskin says:

That “final blow” really reminds me about Hitman series – there was same feature, when you already out of HP but you still can take several bastards with you to the grave