Happy New Year: Metro 2034

By Alec Meer on June 29th, 2010 at 9:02 pm.

Nearly Good shooter Metro 2033 is to recieve a sequel, Metro 2034. If you missed the first 2032 Metro games, I suspect it’s a bit too late to catch-up now. Where have you been?

So yes, a sequel to last year’s impressively moody but slightly annoying under-tunnel shooter. THQ’s Danny Bilson said so, and that they could make it cheaply. That is all.

That is all.

Seriously.

I have literally no more information about the game, so frankly I don’t know why you’re still reading. You’re still here? Really? How long are you going to stick this out? Do you genuinely think I’m going to say something else useful about the game? Honestly? What’s wrong with you?

Oh, alright. It’s in 3D, as in the silly bollocks with the glasses and the special (i.e. expensive) monitors/televisions. I love technology, me. But I really couldn’t give a monkey’s surly uncle about 3D. Is this because a) I have a mild stigma that prevents me from seeing 3D as acutely as others do b) I’m a sulky idiot or c) honestly, c’mon, 3D?

Oh, alright once more. Honestly, I know nothing at all about Metro 2034 bar its intended existence, but when I spoke to Bilson myself about Homefront a month or so back, he was incredibly bullish about every forthcoming THQ game being mega-blockbuster territory, and there being no room to not be successful. No B-list games allowed, essentially.

So, regardless of Metro 2033’s pulled punches and general weirdness, I suspect this follow-up will be production-valued up to the nines, aimed at the massest of mass audiences there is. My money would, in fact, be on this being a reboot/relaunch of the IP rather than a straight sequel as such.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sobric says:

Although I’m not sure how far this multi-industry attempt to get 3D into the home will go, or how much I actually want 3D, I did hear some really cool stuff on the radio about some of the technology coming our way soon. Like, the holograms from Star Wars isn’t actually that far off. That sort of thing.

Also, I saw some rugby in 3D in a cinema. It was really fun. But I think that was just the excitement of being encouraged to drink and shout in a cinema.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Hahhaha, they’ve been saying the holograms in Star Wars haven’t been that far off since the films were first made!

• james says:

I hate most 3D stuff right now. The technology isn’t really there on a mass scale to experience it comfortably, and yet we are expected to pay double for it and wear wonky glasses while we’re at it.

That said, the nintendo 3DS has gotten rave reviews across the board. when it becomes standard (it will) we probably won’t be able to do without it.

2. Grape Flavor says:

Don’t franchises usually get a “reboot” after several years and many games? (Medal of Honor, for example) I don’t think usually they’re announced less than 4 months after the first game.

Or were you implying this is just going to be a souped-up “Special Edition” of Metro 2033, in the vein of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition?

Kelron says:

Probably suggesting it’s going to be Call of Duty: Russian Metro, rather than another linear-Stalker kind of thing.

• Barman1942 says:

No, it’s an actual sequel to Metro 2033 based on the books.

3. Heliosicle says:

Don’t care about the 3D, loved Metro when it was £15 for it on Steam. Good 9 hour game with amazing atmosphere, as good as CoP’s, worth the money on sale, or even in the THQ pack thats on sale at the mo.

4. SF Legend says:

Will it improve the taste of the throwing knives? This guy had to put jam on his because they were so bland.

5. l1ddl3monkey says:

Metro had a brilliantly realised and very atmospheric environment and was very pretty and had a few original ideas on display (or at least old ideas done in a new way).

But: the basic shooty mechanics were rough, particularly the hit registration (especially on the shotgun) which was largely variable and the plot was mostly unintelligible (reading the book afterwards helped a bit).

If they can fix these things for the sequel without losing the good stuff it will be well worth playing.

6. Centy says:

No doubt the book will come out just before the game and I’ll need to wait a week before I play it *sigh*

7. Jamesworkshop says:

Ahh thats all well and good but its Diablo 2’s Ten birthday today

8. airtekh says:

“last year’s”

I though Metro 2033 came out this year? O_o

Or am I missing something?

9. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

i bet it sucks to be a kid there

10. Psychopomp says:

Not sure if I’m happy about this or not.

Regardless, the shotgun in Metro was one of the coolest I’d ever seen. I adored that reload animation.

11. Ricc says:

The book (Metro 2034, that is) has already been out since 2009, which means that we know exactly what to expect plotwise, I guess. The events of the sequel are not a continuation of 2033, except for one returning character playing a major role, or so I gathered.

12. ZIGS says:

PLEASE, don’t ruin it with tacked-on multiplayer!!

BTW, I loved the first (or is it the 2033th) one

• Nick says:

its not like tacked on multiplayer ruined stalker for example, the singleplayer wouldn’t suffer in any way.

13. Default137 says:

Actually, the story from 2034 is pretty much a “What happens now” type story, and still features a bunch of the people from the first book. ( Miller, Hunter, and Arytom all come back, and I’m only in Chapter 3ish, but it seems Khan might actually appear in this book, apparently he didn’t in the first? Never read that one. )

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

@Default137 “Pretty interesting so far, but not sure how this is going to be turned in to a game.”

That’s what I would have said of the first book. In some ways it’s a pity that the game was a linear shooter throughout instead of a linear exploration/atmospheric kind of game with shooting bits (more like the book).

14. malkav11 says:

I would like an edition of the book in English that is not insanely expensive. And then a translation of Metro 2034 plz.

15. Brumisator says:

Metro 2034…coming soon to Nintendo 3DS

16. Down Rodeo says:

So is it like all of RPS that can’t see 3D imagery properly or is Kieron the one and only? I’ve heard Jim and John mention it in the podcast, see. I like it for watching football – makes working out where the ball is much easier, though of course I have only ever seen small clips in the cinema :D

17. JKjoker says:

i loved the level of detail in the last game, the towns, how they made sure to explain everything, where they get the food, weapons etc

but i couldnt go with it, the gameplay was way too shitty, weak weapons with no stopping power, linear yet confusing levels, npcs you need to babysit, enemies that always rush at you and get in your face, ive played some bad fps but holy cow its boring, STALKER had waaaay better gunplay than this even in at its worst

i cant say im excited about a sequel, ill most likely skip it

18. Default137 says:

Not to be rude, but you realize most of this issues are avoidable right?

If you play on Hardcore, everything takes more damage, and it makes the guns feel just right honestly, a quick spray from the Kalash can easily take out 2-3 Nosalisis, and most of the weapons have a good amount of stopping power to them, the only downside is you will die if you try to be Rambo, and need to play the cover/snipe game a bit on some levels.

This also fixes up NPC’s and Rushes, on Hardcore the NPC’s have a bit more health, and since they have near perfect aim, they won’t have any real problem staying alive, due to their increased damage scores. And as I mentioned in the first bit, all you need to do is a little spray and pray, and you can easily kill off all the Lurkers/Nosalisis/Howlers before your clip is gone.

• JKjoker says:

no offense taken, i had no idea about that, sounds like Hardcore makes the game easier …, maybe ill give it another spin after i cool off, it will still not fix the boring levels

• n3gs says:

That’s interesting. I think I’ll go back and play it again on hardcore.

19. nine says:

I am so glad you posted this content-bulging post.

20. Lobiency says:

Khan was in the first novel.

Any idea where to obtain an English copy of Metro 2034? All I’ve had success locating are the Russian and German editions…

21. Michelle says:

Metro is my GOTY thus far this year. Amazing atmosphere and good pace. Yeah, its linear, but I like that most times anyway. thanks THQ.

22. Marar Patrunjica says:

I honestly don’t get the flack this game received, not surprisingly they were the same complaints Cryostasis got: underpowered weapons, linear levels, sluggish combat. Well gues what? This is not Call of Duty, this is not Doom, this is not Quake, it’s a survival horror game in first person, you are not supposed to be Duke Nukem and kill eveything with one hit to the groin, you are supposed to be fearing for your life, thinking that the next wave will surely decimate everyone.

As for the AI complaints, I admit, I played it 100% stealthy in the human levels, my only kills were knife based and even those were few, so I can’t judge the enemy AI in that regard, but the companions did not need babysitting, heck, on the later levels they were the ones doing most of the killing while I was trying to conserve ammo for the inevitable moment I would be alone again.

As far as I’m concered, Metro 2033 was one of the best shooters in recent memory, my only concern with the sequel is that I hope they don’t change anything, I want the same gameplay mechanics (just more stealth, I just loved the stealth missions of the first, MORE STEALTH PLEASE), same incredible level design and the same great atmosphere.

Here’s to hoping they don’t change a thing about the recipe!

• Marar Patrunjica says:

and before someone says anything, I played it on Normal

• Psychopomp says:

The problem is, combat felt like a very poor Duke Nukem, not a horror game. To me, at least. The game was fine when I could stealth it up, or it was being atmospheric, but when the waves of monsters came out, I would just go play something else for a few hours.

• Marar Patrunjica says:

Weird, I for one loved the combat against the enemies, it felt desperate and frantic, especially since I was trying to conserve ammo and I was limiting my shooting to “only shoot when aiming for the head”, and when the inevitable final waves came, and I was nearly overwhelmed I usually whiped out my trusty AK and just sprayed bullets everywhere I could while I was trying to dodge their attacks.

One thing was weird about the game… I never saw the need to use a medkit.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

I loved it… superb game. Had no problems whatsoever.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

@Psychopom

As Marar Patrunjica just tried to make clear, the game is a poor Duke Nukem only if you try to play it that way. That’s honestly your fault. You are given about a hundred instructions troughout the game not to play it like that…
      I just don’t get it. What exactly do you people want? A banner at every corner saying “don’t rush in! don’t rush in!”? You have to play it painfully slowly (kill by kill), just like Cryostasis, and when a wave comes, try to desperately find a corner. That looks like survival horror to me.

• Huggster says:

Metro was a great game. To be fair I would have been happy with no guns whatsoever.
      At one part on the outside I was sneaking past the dog things with sad music playing – really atmospheric moment – like I was in their domain. At that point I was not sure if they were neutral or hostile – maybe they just wanted to be left alone! Most of the animals seemed happy left alone.

At one part I dropped down a broken lift shaft and two dog things of different colour were facing away from me, sitting looking out the window like the were male and female. It was quite touching – I let them be.

• Psychopomp says:

@Andrei

I didn’t rush in. They rushed at me. Non-stop. Putting myself in a corner was a deathtrap, because there was so many of the bastards.

• Marar Patrunjica says:

Well… how is that even remotely like duke nukem?

• Black Alphamabet says:

They rush at you, you just have to learn to circle around them. In Metro 2033, you can’t survive by simply shooting the enemy. I mostly survived by shooting, retreating around a corner and reload then push forward. When its a wave, most of the time I just circle around them with my knife, and a good idea is to go in front of the NPC so it will shoot the beast.

• JKjoker says:

They always rush at you, even the humans with long range weapons keep getting closer all the time, but the worst are the melee enemies they all rush at you like facehuggers and that coupled with weapons with no stopping power (the problem is not that they are weak and need several shots to kill, the problem is that they shrug off full shotgun blasts to the face not even giving you a second to reload or change positions)

and that crap about survival games needing weak weapons is BS, STALKER had VERY powerful weapons that could kill anything in one or two shoots if you aimed to the head or at point blank range and it was much scarier than Metro, Resident Evil 4 had very powerful weapons but kept you under control giving you limited ammo forcing you to find alternative ways to deal with them or trying to squeeze as many kills as possible from every bullet, weapons in Silent Hill usually handle like crap but they kill enemies in just a few shots and wind them/knock them back with just one shot

and, like Psychopomp said, its not that the game is not meant for the player to play like Duke Nukem, its that the game forces you to play that way, there is no going past enemies, there is no avoiding battles, there is no stealth, there is only killing monsters that rush at you

about the NPCs, they do survive on their own pretty well, AS LONG AS they are following you and staying close so you can lure most monsters, if they go on their own (like they do on some battles) and you happen to pull back to avoid getting surrounded, they are freaking dead so in those battles you get to choose between rushing in and dying or pulling back and have the npc die

• Initialised says:

Look for the stuff that makes noise, avoid eye contact and you can avoid the fights.

• Sarcaz says:

I really dont see S.T.A.L.K.E.R as survival horror, even on the harder difficulties.

23. H4NNiB4L says:

About the book (sequel that is). Dont you get all excited, guys.
    I read and speak russian. I finished the book about 6 months ago.
    “Metro 2034″ is nothing like the original. If you ask me, id say the author concentrated too much on philosophy, than on unique post-apocalyptic atmosphere, which made “Metro 2033″ so enjoyable.
    Its still worth thу time tho.

24. neems says:

Metro 2033 (the book) only came out recently in English, so I imagine you’ll have a bit of a wait before Metro 2034 arrives.

As a side note, I believe the guns feel underpowered because you are using home made ammunition. You do an awful lot more damge if you switch to the ‘real’ stuff – expensive though.

25. Ian says:

Metro 1453 was probably the best in the series.

26. jamie says:

OMG metro 2033 looks absolutly amazing on 1920 res. Nothing really compares. I think people who suffer bad frame rates wont enjoy this game though. I think if you have a good pc you should buy this just for the atmosphere portrayed by the glorious graphics(the game good too, you can tell the devs really appreciate the book) and to support a company thats done a pc exclusive!

• Initialised says:

I’ve been playing it through on a 4870×2 hooked up to a 50″ 1080p PDP and a home cinema 7.1 surround sound system. it looks and sounds amazing. Do this game justice and you don’t have to forgive it anything.

27. jon_hill987 says:

What is with the “coming in 3D” that seems to be attached to every new game these days. Nearly every game is already rendered in 3D. The only code that needs to be added (or not because it could be done in the consoles firmware or the PCs drivers) is a number telling the GPU the divergence between the two viewpoints. On a PC this is already available to NVidia users, and old game not written with 3D in mind will work fine with it. I suspect it is because the console manufactures want to be able to re-release games in a “3D edition” despite the fact that the original would run in 3D with a tiny update.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

Interesting input here.
      I’ll try to remeber this one. It’s always fun to get facts from people that are more geeky than me ^_^. Never thought of this. Gaming industry sucker punching us again…

Thanks

• jon_hill987 says:

The fact that one of the launch titles for the 3DS is Mario Kart 3DS gave me the clue. There is already Mario Kart on the DS and the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games. I am certain that if they wanted they could make the DS version run in 3D on the 3DS but as they have announced a competing game I doubt they will. I expect Sony to follow Nintendo’s lead on this one.

• Dominic White says:

Given that both the DS and 3DS use ROM cartridges, no, they couldn’t just ‘make it run in 3D’. Not without somehow hacking in a system-level patch, and even then, it’d probably look really janky.

• jon_hill987 says:

That is what I am saying though. The game code does not need changing to make it display 3D. NVidia have proved that.

• Initialised says:

It’s called getting cash for development by sucking nVidias fat one!

28. Dreamhacker says:

Nearly good? Such insolence!

29. Andrei Sebastian says:

@Psychopomp

Now that’s just weird. On my run they (almost) always stayed in cover, I so wished they would rush in.

30. The Innocent says:

This is some of the best news I’ve heard this month. Metro 2033 has been my favorite fps of the year by far. I really don’t understand some of the complaints — what’s wrong with melee enemies being effective at being melee enemies? When something rushes your face, you dodge and reload and keep shooting, and it’s likely tough enough or agile enough to close the distance between you and it so that it won’t just die en route. This is a great game, though yes it has some things you need to forgive in order to enjoy that. But really, so did STALKER.

31. Initialised says:

I’m currently scaring myself to sleep most nights with Metro 2033. Doing so with a 3D screen would be a nice bonus but I can’t see getting one until my plasma dies.

The ‘Now in 3D” part is as much of a joke as having a linear shooter set literally on rails. Maybe they can get some cash of nVidia for it. As they say “in Russia humour laughs at you”

32. Scott says:

LOL actually there has been a hologram out for years i’ts only in some arcades wake up folkes its been here for 10 years or more.