Neatly Embossed: Crysis 2

By Jim Rossignol on June 30th, 2010 at 2:53 pm.

Mysteriously, I’ve been idly replaying the original Crysis over the past few weeks, and there a bits a pieces in there that make me genuinely excited for the sequel. The whole port-attack level is lovely, and the first fight vs tanks in the little village is one of those perfect open-ended FPS arena moments. Of course there are other habits that I hope – but don’t expect – CryTek to drop, such as that first-person cutscene stuff, or the suit not being quite powerful enough to be a full on power fantasy indulgence. But anyway, I’d been meaning to post this newer trailer, because it’s got a lot more actual combat in it and, despite the horrible quick-cut editing style of it, there’s some interesting scenes, such as a skyscraper coming down, and a fight with some kind of boss robot. You might say boss robots aren’t all that new or interesting, I say there should be an FPS equivalent of Warning Forever.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AndrewC says:

It makes it look like an incredibly sexy corridor shooter, not the almost-open-world or open-ended arena design of Crysis 1.

But I really, really, really want a PC that can handle sexy smoke effects. It’s just really important.

• neems says:

I think a lot of people preferred the more focused approach of Warhead to Crysis, which I guess may have affected the design of the sequel. Personally I much preferred the first game, but each to their own I guess.

• Turin Turambar says:

The pathetic thing is that Far Cry was even a little bit more open than Crysis 1. It seems that they are “closing in” their level design with each game.

• Ravenger says:

I didn’t like Warhead anywhere near as much as Crysis. I felt you were being railroaded along the game with constant radio messages telling you to do this, do that, get moving.

There were far fewer opportunities to just take stock of the situation and much fewer alternative methods of approach. It was much more linear.

The much vaunted engine ‘optimisations’ resulted in a lot more vegetation pop-in which ruined the sense of realism.

The pre-rendered cutscenes using a low quality playback codec were nowhere near as good as the Crysis in-game cutscenes, which I preferred for the first person view because it made them much more immediate and involving, and didn’t take you out of the game.

The only saving grace was the alien behaviour which was much improved.

The whole thing was soured by a limited activation DRM that was only disclosed after my pre-order had shipped, giving me no chance to cancel.

I loved Crysis by comparison, even the alien ship level, though the latter third of the game was nowhere near as good as the first two thirds, due to the replacement of human enemies by aliens.

2. Adrian says:

that must be the least enjoyable trailer i have ever seen!

3. Coded One says:

That’s not a very safe safezone…

4. Flappybat says:

Drop first person cutscenes? I always liked them, so long as they weren’t too obnoxious in how useless your character was despite single handedly destroying five thousand trained soldiers before you get hit in the face with a plank of wood.

• user@example.com says:

I liked them in Crysis. Was instantly annoyed by them in Dark Messiah, though, where the character took a few seconds to ogle the Generic Hot Demon Chick. Then I stopped playing because of the spider level, ugh, but that’s not First Person Cutscene-related.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

That FEAR1 reference made me laugh…Yeah, that sucked, but….it kinda surprise me every time, it’s so sudden!

• Optimaximal says:

In all fairness, the plank of wood came when you hadn’t actually mown down the replica army…

5. Wulf says:

Power fantasy indulgences, eh?

I think the game that satisfied those for me, the best, was Prototype. Prototype was a truly amazing little game, especially when one got that Mr. Tickle arm and could slap people silly in a sort of superpowered way. Also, running up the sides of buildings.

It was therapeutic, too! There’s just something incredibly relaxing about tearing a crowd of screaming, fleeing meat into shreds

There need to be more games like that.

Shame Prototype will probably never have a sequel, as that’s one of those rare instances where I really, really want one. :<

6. Roadrunner says:

too bad my GPU died so I won’t be able to play this one :’(

7. toni says:

i have high hopes and hope for more sandbox in the vein of crysis1 than warhead.

8. toni says:

ah, and if you wanna see how it is done:

9. Stijn says:

What is GLaDOS doing in there? “Please move forward to the next chamber.”

10. Stas says:

The old aliens were much more… Alien.

Waiting to see if this will justfy my purches of a 4000$ pc.

11. yaster says:

Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warn….

12. lhzr says:

the terrible editing hurt my eyes. also looks like every other shooter, except for the collapsing building, which was nice.

the best part of the first one, for me, was that it let you approach most situations in a variety of manners. for example crawling through bushes while cloaked, sniper rifle in hand or jumping over the fence into the back of an enemy base, rambo-ing my way into the closest building and firing rockets outta the window towards anyone that approached. this one looks like it won’t have that sort of openness, unfortunately, so i’m less hyped about it. also jungle > city.

13. rocketman71 says:

Crytek and id are really alike: great engines for pathethic games. And both of them have enormous douches as CEOs. Curious.

• Wulf says:

Frankly, you could say the same about Epic, these days, too. I haven’t been really impressed by anything from them in the longest while. Cliffy “Don’t call me CliffyB” B is a walking, talking arse, but the Unreal engine can be quite impressive.

In fact, the only one that breaks the mould is Valve. Team Fortress 2, at least, is an amazing game that runs on their own engine, and I find Gabe Newell at least tolerable if not the most likeable person in the world.

Might have something to do with my bias toward Source over Unreal, CryTek, and Id’s latest. That, or it might be that only Source seems to be able to do passable facial expressions. Id’s might too, time will tell, but I’m not really expecting that.

• lhzr says:

oh? what’s wrong with todd hollenshead ?

• Mojo says:

You know what? I think that whole “great graphics = bad gameplay” thing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Crysis is an amazing game, as in gameplay. The freedom you have, the way that suit is balanced… it works perfectly. It’s the ultimate sandbox experience. Their AI is as good as AI has ever gotten (admittedly, nowhere near I would have hoped it would go, 10 years ago).

Same thing, btw, for id. I made fun about Quake 3 at the time when UT kicked its ass. But I’ve sunk 72 frickin hours into Quake Live now. Guess who’s laughing now? Same thing about Doom 3. It was always the “lesser” game to me, after it had to compete with HL2 of all games, unfortunately. Then I actually gave it a second chance and damn, this is a smooth, atmospheric and plain fun shooter. In fact, and I say that as the biggest Valve fan, I think it succeeded more at being a horror shooter than HL2 at being a story-driven sci fi epic.

That being said, graphics of Crysis 2 are actually worse than Crysis 1 because of console bottlenecks. Also the Mortal Kombat style “takedown” animation and general clumsiness of the controls look like we’re having another simplified console shooter at our hands. All I’m seeing of the gameplay in the trailer are first person cut scenes and… well, shooting kitschy alien creatures in the face. No “Uhhhh, ahhh!” for interactivity or gameplay.

14. Cooper says:

I was thinking the other day that someone needs to make a Predator mod for Crysis.

Basically, with Strength, Speed and Armour setting all On at the same time, the CryGuy is basically the Predator.

Fork in some thermal data for the thermal vision, add in the shoulder cannon etc. and you have yourself the perfect Predator game.

15. Ian says:

Very shiny, looks like there’s some nice moments and such but….

Eh, favourite bits of the original were the bits where it was like; okay, here’s a little settlement/camp with some soldiers. Decide how you’d like to clear it out.

16. DodgyDave says:

I loved the first person cutscenes, they shined with the graphics on show. When they went third person in Warhead, they turned a bit….. shit (still looked good, but eurgh that direction). Or does Jim prefer the removal of cut scenes altogether with the player always being in control (like HL2 etc) ?

17. Pemptus says:

What an annoying trailer. More static and eardrum-fucking cuts from scene to scene every 2 seconds, please!

18. Radiant says:

I also recently just went back to Crysis and it’s add on.
    I just upgraded my machine and wanted to test it out and Crysis and Warzone seem to still be the test dejour for big rigs. [Install the natural mod btw it's aces].

It’s actually pretty good once you have a machine capable of playing it so it’s not a slide show.
    There are some surprisingly good ideas in it.
    Yeah it degenerates into an alien shoot fest but it still has some nice touches that are a lot less confusing when you have the hardware capable of rendering it in more then10 fps.

19. westyfield says:

I quite liked the first-person cutscenes actually, it avoided the confusion that would inevitably have ensued from a third-person scene, given that everyone looks the same inside their suits.
    It took me a while to work out that BC2′s cutscenes were from a third-person perspective, I kept wondering where this fifth soldier had come from.

20. Roadrunner says:

It reminds me of Cloverfield.

• Antithesis says:

That’s exactly what I thought as soon as it started. The enormous alien robot boss crashing through buildings didn’t help.

But I liked Cloverfield, so it’s all good.

21. Duck says:

That was an impressive trailer. While I hated the quick cuts, I was able to appreciate that they were going for a Cloverfield-type trailer, and not a “here’s a ‘GAMEPLAY’ trailer, bunch of shooty guys with no theme” trailer, which I hate more than quick cuts.

22. Andrew W says:

This is not a corridor shooter! Look how open-worldy it is! “Please move forward into the next chamber” Damn.

23. Mojo says:

I have no idea why Crytek decided that what gamers liked most about their previous games were the cheesy alien creatures (rasta robot thingy in the trailer). Also, “Fatality!” moves… ewwwww…

24. Jimbo says:

Robots are the best type of game enemy. Discuss.

• Mr_Day says:

Daybot 117 concurs with this statement.

Daybot 118 does not concur, but has met with unfortunate smelting accident.

Daybot 119 concurs, but only after being shown what happened to Daybot 118.

25. UW says:

Wow, okay. I know it’s been mentioned several times but that editing was horrific. It made me want to vomit. I do actually feel physically sick.

The game itself looks good, but that really is one of the worst trailers I have ever seen.

26. Joflar says:

I really like the element of vulnerability in Crysis. Playing on Delta and slowly picking off people by clobbering them with thrown objects or grabbing them and running away is a fun kind of cat and mouse game. When your avatar can go down in a few hits it motivates you to play tactically.

I know the bink video that plays at the beginning creates a false expectation for the nanosuit, but I enjoy the default suit abilities. (Besides, if you want to do power fantasy all you need is a quick edit in Notepad)

• Jad says:

@Joflar

Definitely agree. I liked to call your character in that game a “vulnerable bad-ass”. Like basically all FPS heroes, you were clearly more powerful than the average enemy, but unlike most games this was explained quite neatly by the nanosuit. However, you were not that much more powerful than your enemies, which made the game feel more realistic despite all the sci-fi craziness. You’re not the doom guy or the magical COD guy, you’re a soldier fighting hundreds of other soldiers, and the only reason why that scenario its not totally lopsided is because you’re wearing a neat, near-future supersuit. In Crysis you are a bad-ass, not a superhero.

27. Moomin says:

I like that a lot of trailer designers (inc for films) feel that the quality of the trailer is proportional to the number of seizures it induces.

Also sure Crysis was pretty but to me the gameplay was less fun than watching grass grow thanks to stupid A.I. and pretty cliche settings. This trailer leaves me feeling there will be little change.

28. Xercies says:

The best part in Crysis i thought was that big ass base on top of that cliff with those two bridges connecting to it. There was so many ways to get into that base and how to get to do the objective in there that it really blew your mind and you just wanted the game to recreate that for the rest of it. Then it sento you off to fight aliens and it all went downhill.

At first i was kind of excited about Crysis 2 but every trailer i see is filling me with dread…it looks like a genric shooter to me unfortunatly. and the graphics haven’t improved that much.

29. Gap Gen says:

I’m sure someone’s already mentioned this, but: they took the part of Crysis that people liked the least (the aliens) and made a sequel containing only aliens?

• karthik says:

I’m pretty sure I saw the player shooting some humans in the E3 footage. Plus, these aliens seem to be humanoid; combat probably won’t have the same feel as before.

30. Ice-Fyre says:

How come you cant blow a hole in that skyscraper and see the outside world? Games need to move on to where everything can be destroyed or blows up Simpsons style lol I love Just Cause 2 but hate the fact a little shack can stand up to everything you throw at it :-(

31. Robyrt says:

I hated that port attack level SO MUCH because it was linear without telling you. You have 2 objectives to destroy, and a deadly helicopter spawns as soon as you take one out. There is a rocket launcher by objective A, but not by objective B. I thought I could flank them by doing B first… Guess I have to restart the level!

• Gunsmith AKA NanosuitNinja says:

hate to break it to you but there are rocket launchers all over the level and yes they are next to your AAA objectives as well.

32. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

this is what pc gamers get for pirating the shit out of crysis

so of course you’ll all pirate it because it sucks/because of drm/because you don’t want to give money to big videogames/*insert excuse here* next time don’t act surprised when companies make games for the lowest common denominator because they’ll the only people who buy games these days.

• godwin says:

Uhh what? Since when has Crytek said they were going to consoles because of piracy? Get out of here.

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

“Crytek, the studio that created the hardware intensive Far Cry and Crysis games exclusively for PC, has repeatedly stated that the upcoming Crysis Warhead will be its last PC-only game due to the abundant piracy of PC games. “

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

lol you just got pwned by the dumbest person here

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

but feel free to ignore it so you can pretend piracy isn’t a big deal because you have a right to consumption or whatever they’re saying these days

• poop says:

see the thing is that both Crysis and UT3 had problems that hurt sales far more than piracy. people thought UT3 was shit because it got bad reviews and people thought Crysis wouldn’t run on their computer.

piracy has always been a really shitty excuse for poor sales and developers trying to justify (quite reasonably) chasing after console cash.

shut up.

• Tei says:

Piracy is not lost sales. Pirates pirate all games, but people that buy games only buy a few, so piracy=lost sale is a error. These billions are calculated based on this erroneus asumption. Crysis is not as succesfull has the technology behind for the same reason Id Software has sell less games than Valve. Because Crysis (has a game) is not all that interesting, is more a techdemo. And this is the reason, and not piracy. If you don’t sell enough games, and enough engine lienses, you have yourself and all other game devs to blame. If the creators of MW2 reuse his old engine, is because don’t really need the power of Crytek engine, where a outdated engine could do the same work, hence… the creators of MW2 will not buy your engine. How can the creators of MW2 use a outdated engine? because the type of game that are making (very small corridor shotte, with few players, highly scripted) is not all that demanding. Dedicated servers on the console, could have raised the demand of hardware … but is consoles where are talking about, consoles don’t get hardware upgrades. So your whole strategy to sell crytek engine is flawed because of that: we live a era of stagnation. Don’t blame the freeloaders for that. I have see freeloaders piracing games in 1982, is nothing new, you can’t factor new problems with soo old bad habits of people.

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

cool story bro

but that still doesn’t disprove crytek deciding to develop for consoles because of piracy.

• Tei says:

I can’t disprove that tinfoil hats protect you from vampire aliens. I seriusly can’t.

33. Geoff says:

Well I just want to give some love for the editing of the trailer. I found it very exciting, one of my favourite trailers for a while actually in terms of filmic quality, I stress not as a game. This game I think is basically going to be similar to Halo. I love Farcry and Im sad that its older cousin looks like this atm but Im hopeful it is better than my skeptical mind predicts.

34. boommoob says:

is it just me, or is that trailer edited by the least talented videoeditor in the history of mankind?

35. Henry Turner says:

I miss Far Cry. The first three quarters of Far Cry were awesome and that’s what they should have built on, not the crappy last quarter. I guess Just Cause 2 is the game Crytek should have made.

36. toni says:

I like Crysis and thought it’s a very good shooter and replayed it a few times.

• Tei says:

You are probably a North Korean, and play the game solelly run in national proudness, since North Korea is the only force opossing the all-powerfull USA army, with his nanitepowered supersoldiers.

/trolling