Mr B(ulletstorm): “We’re Big On Vistas…”

By Jim Rossignol on July 1st, 2010 at 1:12 pm.

Me and Quintin met Cliff Bleszinski a few years ago. He was the only man in the room wearing leather trousers. This means something, I’m just not sure what. In other news: GT have grabbed a walkthrough of Bulletstorm with Mr B talking People Can Fly’s absurdo-shooter through (below). It contains a bunch more footage, with a rechargeable cyberbuddy, and some really lovely vistas. So that’s nice.

I was also amused to see this Bulletstorm news story over on VG247. That’s thinking outside the box, graphics fans. Clever stuff.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lars Westergren says:

So Bulletstorm is made by Epic? My interested in this game just cooled significantly.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Nope, it’s being made by the Painkiller guys.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Though it does seem like Epic are giving them a hand.

• Lars Westergren says:

Ah, ok. Heard good stuff about the Painkiller games, supposed to be silly but fun.

Still a bit on the fence on this one… looks beautiful, and actionpacked, but I actually get a bit nauseated by the hyperviolence in the trailer. Am I the only one?

Surprising it is published on PC by Epic too, I thought they had declared they were way to cool to hang out with the PC these days?
      ;-)

• jeremypeel says:

At least anyone who had a hand in Painkiller has a sense of the ridiculous, which is more than I can say for Gears of Po-faced War developers Epic.

Although that two suns thing is hilarious. As are leather pants.

• Senethro says:

Which is awesome really. People Can Fly made the original Painkiller, not any of the sequels and I’ve just been waiting for their next game.

• ZamFear says:

@Man Raised By Puffins:
      People Can Fly were bought by Epic, hence their involvement in this.

• Navagon says:

The violence seems far too cartoon to me to be taken seriously. Reminds me more of Tom and Jerry firing Tommy guns at each other than anything.

• DrGonzo says:

@ZamFear

I don’t think it is just that though. Mark Rein was hyping up APB. They seem to help advertise games that look promising that use their engine too.

2. Lars BR says:

Oh, I had stupidly assumed this was Xbox-only, but it’s for the pc/ps3 as well. (PUT IT ON STEAM!)

3. Crush says:

Certainly looks more interesting than the snooze fest of Crysis 2.

4. 1nightStand says:

“Fire in the hole”… yep, we have a winner.

5. Mad Doc MacRae says:

When you said Mr. B I thought you meant Mr Butlertron from Clone High and I read further and was disappointed.

6. Navagon says:

Originally I didn’t think this was for me, but it’s starting to grow on me. Looks like it could be a fun game. Painkiller was awesome.

7. skyturnedred says:

Looks way more fun than realistic shooters.

8. rocketman71 says:

Mr. B is only big on douchebaggery.

9. Xercies says:

that man is quite funny…in an absurd kind of way..does he even know what he is saying?

10. Shazbut says:

Bulletstorm: successor to Bloodsquad, Bone Storm and Bloodsquad 2.

Did anyone do that yet?

11. mlaskus says:

That kick in the screenshot reminds me of Duke Nukem.
    Also, Painkiller was pure fun, I’m looking forward to this.

• LionsPhil says:

MIGHTY FOOT ENGAGED

• mlaskus says:

I can’t help it now. I have downloaded this and now I’m listen to Duke in an infinite loop.

• Nick says:

If you selected foot as your weapon and then pressed it and the kick button you kicked with both feet at once. Duke was awesome. I used to Russian dance my way around the place.

12. DeliriumWartner says:

Seems Cliff Bleszinski is a psycho. If I met him in a dark conference room wearing only leather pants (I know, I’m exaggerating slightly) I’d run, lest he decide to give me a lead colonoscopy.

13. The_B says:

It means: Kieron wasn’t there.

14. LionsPhil says:

I think the best thing about this video is that CliffyB’s drawling mostly drowns out the hurr-durr macho dialogue.

• Psychopomp says:

But the intentionally HURR DURR dialogue is the best part!

15. Clifford Extreme says:

Cliffy B ‘nex-gen’ phrasebook:

“God Beams”: glowing rays that originate in the sky.
    “Verbage”: some words that appear on the screen.
    “Horde mode/Beast Mode”: team deathmatch with another lazy gimmick.

16. Baboonanza says:

I can fine God beams from my Giant Dick.

• Vitamin Powered says:

How much do you normally force God Beams to pay you, and what is their crime?

17. subedii says:

Am I the only watching all this footage and thinking that it looks decidedly dull? Granted it’s not easy to make an FPS look interesting to play, but this just doesn’t do anything for me. The shooting looks average and didn’t really give me a sense of impact or anything, and just didn’t look exciting to play. The graphics look like they’re still having trouble shaking off the same art style they’ve had since they made UE3.

Maybe I’m the wrong audience here, from the demo I thought Painkiller was pretty dull too, like a game that was trying to replace fun gameplay with “wackiness” and pretend they were the same thing.

• Jad says:

Well, it appears that you are the wrong audience for this game. Which is totally fine, no shame it that — I could see myself writing a similar paragraph about RTSes and Starcraft II.

For those of who do consider it “easy to make an FPS look interesting to play”, and loved Painkiller and Serious Sam and the like for their wackiness and old-school gameplay, this looks pretty interesting. Although I do agree with you on the UE3-ness of it all.

• subedii says:

Well to put it another way, when I watched the footage for Gears 1, I was actually hooked and interested right from the start. Ditto for Halo 2, BF:BC2, and FEAR.

Here my reaction was more sort of “eeeh”.

18. WiPa says:

It really shows that these guys mainly dev for consoles now. All the way through he was like “LOOK AT THIS AMAZING EFFECT!” “LOOK AT THIS DEPTH OF FIELD!”.

Yeah, great…

19. skyturnedred says:

I still don’t understand why kicking never became the standard melee funtion in any given FPS game.

• skyturnedred says:

“standard melee function” I meant to say.

• AndrewC says:

Because then you would be hopping everywhere.

• Lars Westergren says:

You should play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

• subedii says:

FEAR was clearly the best FPS kicking simulator.

• disperse says:

@Lars Westergren

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Dark Messiah. I’m playing that right now and it is fairly humorous how the bad guys like to keep spiked boards lying all over the place. I imagine you could get through pretty much the entire game using only the kick.

20. Mojo says:

That zip line would rip off his hands…

21. Spd from Russia says:

I already dislike this game – it seems to be targeted at Jackazz audience. The dev pitch makes me cringe.

• Muzman says:

Is that the slightly dyslexic Jazz Jackrabbit audience? If so I agree.

• Stijn says:

If only Epic made an actual successor to Jazz Jackrabbit 2…

22. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Fancy graphics.. it just looks a bit too rail-roady. And lacking in depth. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be fun, though.

23. bill says:

The thing to remember is that Painkiller wasn’t actually a particularly good game.

It had great weapons, pretty good enemies, lots of different types of enemies, a great range of settings, and some absolutely beautiful and imaginative levels.

But the actual level design was terrible, and the end result wasn’t half as good as the sum of it’s parts. Hopefully they’ll have better luck this time.

• Rohit says:

This.

I understand that some shooter fans want to get away from modern military shooters, but there are good and bad ways of achieving this.

24. Muzman says:

Just so I don’t have to reload the vide: He did actually say “like a fat kid with cake” didn’t he?

25. LionsPhil says:

Jazz Jackrabbit was actually fun, though. And used colours other than grey, orange-brown, and blue highlights.

It also didn’t have badly-written dialogue or men with biceps wider than their heads. Or that slightly-sluggish feel that permiates console-touched FPSes. Or gratuitous amounts of blur and DoF that make actually playing the game part of the game unnecessarily awkward.

Basically, Epic were better when they still had Megagames in their title.

26. ChampionHyena says:

“Fat kid with cake.”
    “Make it rain.”
    “See ya, fucker.”

Oh, Cliffy, you gargantuan manchild. Don’t ever grow up. Not that you have the capacity, but…

I don’t know how to feel about this game. On the one hand, it’s People Can Fly, and it looks gory and violent and bombastic and utterly 100% absurd. Meanwhile the points system’s making me a little nervous. Yeah, I like getting points for stuff, but… getting points for grabbing a handrail? That seems a little obsequious to the increasingly points-obsessed gamer demographic. Plus, there’s kicking. Again, nothing wrong with kicking (anything that makes a game feel more like Duke Nukem–like these wacky-ass weapons, for example–is okay by me), but I’ve been betrayed by Dark Messiah. The kick should not solve all my problems. Finally, Epic’s involved. There was a time when that would have been a good thing (and their tech is ALWAYS solid), but I don’t want a big fat injection of “grunty macho” in a game that needs to be ridiculously silly.

I guess we’ll have to see. Count me cautiously optimistic.

27. Phil H says:

Waitwaitwait He said Rick Remender was writing this? Awesome.

28. airtekh says:

Visually, it looks interesting.

I’m worried about the ‘points’ counter at the bottom left though. I’d fear that the game would devolve into a mindless pursuit of these points. (much the same way it’s possible to slog through Just Cause 2 in search of Chaos).

That said, it looks fun lashing people with a whip and delivering a swift boot to the teeth.

• sockpuppetclock says:

“I’d fear that the game would devolve into a mindless pursuit of these points”

Is there anything truly wrong with that?

• The Dark One says:

I dunno. from what we’ve seen it could work just like the XP in Arkham Asylum did. Dispatching dudes in flashier and more inventive ways nets you more points, and later on, the ability to .do even more flashy stuff.

It’s obviously not going to mesh completely, since one’s a third-person beat ‘em up game featuring a character who never kills and the other is a first-person shooter that features take-down moves with names like “fire in the hole”, but one can hope. :)

• Tei says:

“Dispatching dudes in flashier and more inventive ways nets you more points, and later on, the ability to .do even more flashy stuff.”

To my understanding, this is a novel idea, and a very good one.
      Imagine if Carmagedoom where built like that, making ridiculous jumps and destruction worth more to the player.
      It would also conver “killing sandbox games” into lots of fun. The problem with some gamers, is that the most optimized router is the most boring one. So the more these gamers play, the more boring become the game. This kill RTS and FPS games. Your idea, I think fix that problem. But convert everything in cheese.

29. karthik says:

This looks like a game made by and for fourteen year olds. I might have thought otherwise without the voiceover.

• Psychopomp says:

It seems to be more of a parody of games for 14 year olds, to me

Poe’s Law, I guess.

30. jonfitt says:

How childish.

31. MartinNr5 says:

Looks really fun and something I most def. will be picking up for the 360.