The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bringing Sexy Back

By Lewie Procter on July 3rd, 2010 at 1:53 pm.

I’ve been away for two weeks, did you miss me? I’ve been hibernating, but I’m back, baby. It’s the fully rejuvenated bargain bucket. I hope you haven’t all gone crazy and started buying games at RRP in my absence. Valve, the sneaky devils, waited until I wasn’t around to start their big summer sale, but I’m on their case now. I’ve fiddled with the usual bargain bucket format a bit because no one is going to stop me. As always plug plug SavyGamer.co.uk plug. Let the bargainification commenciate.

TODAY ONLY
These are a few choice deals from Steam’s sale. They only have 6 hours left (at time of writing), so snap them up right now if you’re interested.
Borderlands – £6.79/€10.19/$10.19 (also available as a 4 pack, £5.10/€7.65/$7.65 each)
Day of Defeat: Source, PC – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49
Bionic Commando + Bionic Commando: Rearmed, PC – £8.74/€10.74/$11.24
Half-Life 2, PC – £2.37/€3.05/$3.39 (The Episodes are £2.03/€2.37/$2.71 a pop too)
Prototype, PC – £12.49/€24.99/$14.99
Saints Row 2, PC – £2.49/€2.49/$7.49
Max and the Magic Marker, PC – £3.25/€3.75/$5
Beat Hazard, PC – £1.74/€1.74/$2.49

PROBABLY AVAILABLE TOMORROWISH
Just Cause 2 for the cheaps.
Call it a premonition, or a crystal ball, but I’ve got a hunch that Just Cause 2 is going to be on sale later on today. The Steamworks retail release costs £14.95, so hopefully they will beat that.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena – £5.09/€6.79/$6.79
It has nasty, awful TAGES activation, but this is damn cheap. Especially considering (in the UK at last) the retail release of this was under produced, meaning that it was only ever available at or near RRP for a long time. I loved it, I loved the original game, although I never finished it. When this was announced, I just decided to wait and play the remake. It’s pretty top notch as remakes go, the graphics are still excellent, and the animation has been measurably improved. If you never played it first time round, then this brutal Riddick ‘em up is a must play. If you already played the original, then the new stuff ain’t that bad (the Ulaks are something special), but definitely play the Dark Athena on the easiest difficulty settings, it makes it much more fun. It’s a good price for a lot of game, I can’t wait to see Starbreeze’s next game. Jim’s words here.

NecroVisioN: Lost Company – £3
The business model is still kind of wonky [And its capitalisation too - Ed] but £3 for this nazi-zombie armed-warfare simulator is a good deal in my books. I do wish they wouldn’t autoplay the trailer when the site loads up. Not sure what the availability of this offer is to people outside the UK, it is a UK based site. Let me know if you have any success. I’m downloading it using capsule now. I never did get my Painkiller to work, hopefully this actually does work. The game is a shooty shooty thing, looks silly enough to forgive any problems it does have.

Penumbra Collection – £3.95/€4.95/$4.95
Penumbra, all of it. Overture, Black Plague and then Requiem. Dark corridors and hands groping around for objects are the two things that stuck with me most from Penumbra. Those, and the scares, lots of scares. They can be a bit fiddly, but they really represent a fantastic leap forward for adventure game controls and immersion. Top stuff, and fantastic value at this price.

Deal of the week
The discount comes off during checkout.
Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition – £4.60/€5.56/$6.99
The discount comes off during checkout.
The best version of one of the best games ever made. Eric Chahi’s experimental journey from A to B is littered with magical moment after magical moment. It looks utterly incredible, and it never lets you stop thinking. It’s creative, challenging, and fair. It is your fault if you die. The discount comes off during checkout. It’s the reason modern games have no excuse for awful cut scenes. It’s a brief visit to a world that is in many ways entirely alien from your own, but in others not so much. Mr Walker did a retrospective for Eurogamer back in April.
The discount comes off during checkout.

Also of note:
USA week at GamersGate
Impulse probably have something on sale, bless ‘em.
The Steam sale is still updating every 24 hours, so keep checking the store frontpage.

SavyGamer yo.

__________________

« | »

1. Lars Westergren says:

Half Life 2 Episode 1 & 2 are also on special 66% sale today…

2. Wes says:

I’ll be getting the Borderlands 4-Pack if anybody else is interested?

3. Dominus says:

there’s also a promo on GOG.com for another amazing adventure game, Sanitarium:

4. TinnionA says:

It’s also worth pointing out the Borderlands DLC is also reduced, to a much more reasonable £2.14 each.

• Stu says:

Do you know if they were just reduced at the same time as Borderlands or whether they’re part of the ongoing sale? I’m going to buy Borderlands but won’t have time to play it before the next batch of deals; if they’re going back up in price at 6pm then I’ll want to buy them now so at least if I like the game, I’ll have all the DLC for a third of what it would normally cost.

• Starky says:

Pretty sure it is part of the sale, given they have the same % reduction on them.

• Butterbumps says:

Yes, the 66% is for the next few hours only. They were also slightly reduced as part of the general sale, by 25%, I think.

• Stu says:

Yeah, that’s what got me thinking. In fact, I just found this spreadsheet which shows that they only had 25% off at the start of the sale so I guess they’ll almost certainly go back up in price when the next bunch of deals hit.

• Stu says:

Ah, Butterbumps just snuck in there to say what I was going to say. Curse you, Butterbumps!

• Nick says:

Zombies and Knoxx are both worth getting, Moxxi isn’t really, that could be a couple of quid better spent elsewhere.

• malkav11 says:

Keep in mind that both Dr. Ned and Mad Moxxi come with nasty awful 5 installation limit SecuROM that neither the base game nor General Knoxx have. But because of the way Steam handles DLC, if you buy the DRMed DLC, it will be inextricably bonded to the rest of your Borderlands install, vile DRM and all.

5. John Peat says:

I think most people are shellshocked after 10 days of the Steam wallet-drain – perhaps you should do a “reassuringly full price” feature instead? ;)

• Arathain says:

@John Peat:

To the reassuringly full price feature I would like to add Sins of a Solar Empire on Impulse. I got my weekend sale e-mail from them and a picture of a box with Sins and the two expansions and the price of $15. Oo, I thought, I’ll ‘ave that. But no, the $15 is just for the two expansions. You still have to pay $20 for the original. Or $40 for the three together, for a total discount of $5. Nice, but not Steam nice, I’m afraid.

• RLacey says:

Or you could go to GAME’s online store, hand them £11.99, and get a code for the entire trilogy that plugs into Impulse.

• Arathain says:

I fear for me you would have to add a cross-Atlantic flight to that price.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I got Sins of a Solar Empire on Impulse for under £3 ($4 at the time as they charge everything in USD regardless of your locale) during the last weekend in May. Also bought GalCiv2: Ultimate Edition at the time for under £7 ($10) so I haven’t had a chance to play Sins yet since GalCiv2 has been satifying my cravings for Space 4X/RTS/whatever genre you want to put them & Sword of the Stars in.

I considered buying the expansion packs pack when I got the sales e-mail on Friday from Impulse but it’s only a $5 discount on the pack (normal price is apparently $20 not $30 as the e-mail says but the prices go up & down at what appears to be random on Impulse so I could be both wrong & right e.g. GalCiv2 being $40 for both download or retail box currently) so I’d advise waiting for a better deal if a digital copy is your only option as the full game is likely to be discounted again.

Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection is 50% off right now so it’s £12.49 for us UK people (not sure how to check the USD price for you, easy enough to search the Steam store though). It’s very good in my opinion & should scratch that itch until you can get Sins cheap. The complete collection is the full game plus all 4 expansion packs so you’ll get the full experience from the get-go.

6. Srekel says:

“It is your fault if you die.”

Hah, right. I’d like to see anyone completing that game without dying just because they were smart enough. It’s a trial and error game. That said, it’s extremely beautiful and very cool.

• Wilson says:

@Srekel – Yeah, this is a good point. I used a walkthrough to get through a few bits myself, but I don’t think that detracts from it. It’s the same way I do any old adventure games I replay, I normally have to get a guide out for some bits of it.

• MadMatty says:

@Srekel

was about to post the same. Its one of my top five all-time most fondly remembered games- but there are a handfull of sequences which are trial-and-error.
      Mainly the one where you roll thru some ducts in the dark, early on in the game- there is one point or two where you have to make the leap of faith.
      …. and some of the puzzles are a bit obscure, tho i completed it myself- xcept for the very very last scene, where i remember having to phone a friend.
      In general tho, its skill based.
      The art and inventiveness found in the game outshines almost all latter games, and even tho it may have aged a bit mechanically, its main fault is basically that its too short, only about 7 hours of playtime or so.
      Its semi-sequel Flashback is a bit more like Prince of Persia with guns, using somewhat repetitive 2d-blocks for levels, rather than the splendid vectorized “every screen is a painting” style of Another World… while Flashback is fairly enjoyable, its story is a lot more sci-fi by-the-numbers, and it lacks a bit of the charm of its earlier relative.

7. Starky says:

I’ve bought 25 games in this last month in steam sales, for a grand total of £76.36.

Including 14.99 for fallout 3 in the weekend before the sale.
    Excluding FO3, 24 games for 61.37 giving an average of £2.55 per game.

Which is insane, sure some of them are old or indie titles, but in terms of play per pound that’s pretty hard to beat.

I’m kind of hoping that steam WON’T be offering any more must have bargains in the next week – All these £3-4 bargains are adding up to a small fortune pretty fast.

• bob_d says:

I know… I’ve bought about 30 games on sale in the last month, knowing full well that I won’t play them all. It got to the point where I was saying, “Hmm, for a couple bucks, it would be nice just to have this in my games library in case, at some point, I want have time to play it.”
      I’ve been so spoiled/overloaded by this that for the next couple of years a game is going to have to be at least 66% off for me to even consider buying it…

• Shadowcat says:

I quite like the fact that Steam just put on a crazy sale, and not only did I not spend a cent, but I wasn’t even particularly tempted to. Clearly I’m making progress in the right direction.

8. Lars Westergren says:

Also Direct2Drive has 65% off wargames to celebrate 4th of July (what does that say about the US I wonder… or at least peoples perception of it?)

Also Impulse have some sale I think, don’t know if it still on?

• Lars Westergren says:

Edit: It doesn’t say much about either come to think about it, the only thing it says something about is D2Ds view of America.

• devlocke says:

@Lars:

You do know why the 4th of July is a holiday, right?

9. LewieP says:

@Srekel
    I guess I mean if you die over and over again in the same place, not just the first few times.

10. Jimbo says:

May I recommend UFO: Afterlight in the ongoing Steam Sale (£1.50)? I’ve been playing it a bunch in the last week or so and like it a lot.

11. Ice-Fyre says:

Only game I want there is Just Cause 2, but my pc can’t play it so rules that out :-(

• Tacroy says:

Have you tried the demo? Just Cause 2 has a very well-written engine; it managed to run on my computer just fine when I had the world’s shittiest graphics card. You may be surprised at its performance, and the demo is free.

• Rohit says:

He may be running XP.

• Ice-Fyre says:

Or I may have an old pc

AMD Athlon 2800+
      1gig ram
      Radeon 9800 Pro

:-(

12. LewieP says:

Update:
    After a few hiccups, I got NecroVisioN: Lost Company installed, and it is a lot of fun, if a little claustrophobic.

13. Sobric says:

Just to add a little bit of perspective on binging on Steam sales (especially when drunk), thank God your not this guy:

• jeremypeel says:

Holy fuck, that’s hilarious. And awful. But hilarious.

14. malkav11 says:

If people want Necrovision, it’s worth noting that the Steam sale has both Necrovision and Lost Company on deep discount. $3.24 for the original, $7.50 for Lost Company. (Or presumably some lower number of pounds – not quite 3 for Lost Company, I’d warrant, but still cheapy-cheap if you live outside the UK or don’t want to mess with that other site.)

15. yaster says:

The discount comes off during checkout.

16. Mr_Day says:

If you missed CoH in the Steam sale, Impulse have it a fraction cheaper than Steam did:

Well, cheaper than it was in the UK, anyway.

17. Pepelusky says:

I’ll wait for the steam version of penumbra pack, i dont think they’ll let that one pass.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s been on sale at least twice in weekend sales on Steam over the last year or so as I picked it up for under £4 back in July last year & I remember seeing it on a weekend sale early this year too.

18. Tacroy says:

Just Cause 2 is literally the game I’ve been waiting for in this sale. If it’s $20 USD or less, I’m getting it – I might even go as high as $25 USD, which seems like a ridiculous price to pay in this new digital distribution era.

• Malibu Stacey says:

A winner is you! It’s 50% (which is £15 for us UK people) off until 18:00 UK time in the Steam daily sale. Get in quick before it gets more expensive.

• iainl says:

I was going to do so, but then I noticed that Red Faction: Guerilla, essentially the same sort of thing, is only £3.75, and that’s my kind of price.

19. TychoCelchuuu says:

I’m interested in Another World, but I’d like to know where the discount comes off before I purchase.

20. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Is Day of Defeat Source any good?

• Heliocentric says:

Its more fun than cod2, but less than cod4

fun=cod3?(its a shame that cod3 doesn’t exist and thus cannot be compared)

21. ZIGS says:

Lemme just say this: the value Assault on Dark Athena gives for that price is unbelievable. Escape From Butcher Bay remains one of the best games I have EVER played

22. jon_hill987 says:

“Call it a premonition, or a crystal ball, but I’ve got a hunch that Just Cause 2 is going to be on sale later on today.”

How did you know?

• Ricc says:

A PR person revealed the discount at the beginning of the week.

23. Vinraith says:

For any fans of tabletop-like wargames, the AGEOD titles in that Gamersgate sale (specifically American Civil War and Birth of America 2) are well worth a look. They’re rich, deep, full featured sims of the periods in question with some of the best developer support you’ll ever see and an active fan/mod base.

24. Infarmer says:

@jon_hill987

@Vinraith

Also, Birth of America 1 is $1.50 at Steam.

• Vinraith says:

@Infarmer

Yes, but there’s no reason to buy Birth of America 1, Birth of America 2 completely replaces it and improves on it in every way.

• ordteapot says:

I’d imagine the reasoning is something like: Birth of America 2 costs around 10 times as much right now.

• Vinraith says:

@ordteapot

BoA2 is $10 on Gamersgate. Honestly, if you’re interested enough to put the time in to learn one of these games, why not get the most recent one? Especially when it completely replaces the original, no matter how cheap said original may be?

• ordteapot says:

If I got on well enough with Napoleon’s Campaigns, but was never really “grabbed” by it, are Birth of America 1 and 2 probably going to be more of the same for me, or have they expanded/modified the gameplay a good bit?

For $1.50 I’m probably just going to grab the BoA 1 and try it out, and pick up BoA 2 from gamersgate if the trial run goes well.

• Vinraith says:

@ordteapot

BoA 1 & 2 and Napoleon’s Campaigns play pretty similarly. If you’re looking for an AGEOD game along those lines but with more depth and flexibility, your best bet is American Civil War, which is also $10 on Gamersgate this weekend and which conveniently has a free demo. Birth of America also has a free demo, by the way, so you could probably save yourself the $1.50 by giving it a look that way.

25. Walrus says:

jon_hill987
    Mike Oldman mentioned it on Twitter a few days ago. http://twitter.com/mycoldman/status/17421704878

26. sinister agent says:

Damn you, Lewie. I had money while you were away.

27. Alastayr says:

Steam Time To Save!

Title
    Bad Company 2
    Good game all in all. Nice multi-player and possibly the only reason to buy this now rather than, say, around Black Friday. Single-player is unplayable for me because of horrible non-fixable FOV. I get head-pains after after a couple of minutes. Literally. Two.

Freedom Force Pack
    I don’t know. Supposedly brilliant. Should I get this?

Portal
    It was for free the other day. For free. And still, it looks like there are some people without Portal. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?

Just Cause 2
    Finished this week. Brilliant sandbox, okay game. Sandbox of the Year when combined with BOLOPatch. Don’t get this if you have a stick up your arse and thought True Lies was a bad movie, because this is like True Lies and Predator minus the things I didn’t like from Predator.

Mount & Blade
    Must. Resist. Mounting. And. Blading.

Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse
    Somewhere at Telltale sits a genius, constantly monitoring market supply and demand to maximise profits on their properties. Might this person please inquire with Shipping why it is July and I am still waiting for my ToME SE to be shipped! Thank you Tellale genius.

Devil May Cry 4
    I watched someone play the game and dozed off after approx. 3.6 minutes. It was midday and the wind carried a warm summer breeze through the open window. My face relaxed and I, contempt with the satisfying feeling of just the right amount of delicious food in my belly, didn’t care at all for crying devils.

World of Goo
    See Portal. Replace “free” with “nearly free if you wanted to pay that little and pretty expensive if you wanted to pay more”.

Metro 2033
    See Devil May Cry 4. Replace “3.6 minutes” with “a while”; “midday” with “afternoon”; “just the right amount of delicious food” with “junkfood” and “crying devils” with “subway Nazis and ammunition shortages”.

That’s it!

• oceanclub says:

Yes, the Freedom Force games are still great; well, worth a few quid. I finished “…vs 3rd Reich” after buying it cheap in a previous Steam sale. Graphically they still hold up well due to the comic style.

P.

• Urthman says:

If you buy Freedom Force, and are a superhero comics geek, don’t forget to try the Strangers mod, which is even more fun and more comic-geeky than the original game:

• Jimbo says:

Stars and bars, Liberty Lad! To the Freedom Flyer!

The Freedom Force games are great, and as charming as they come. Nuclear Winter’s theme song alone is worth the price of admission.

28. Kid A says:

I’ve lobbed a summary of the Day 10 Sale up here: http://drugcrazed.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/steam-sale-day-10/

Kinda disappointing, today, really.

29. Kid A says:

DAMN YOU ALASTAYR.

• Alastayr says:

It is okay. You have convinced me to buy Freedom Force Pack.

30. Arathain says:

So how is Devil May Cry 4, for, for example, someone who hasn’t played any of the others and doesn’t own a gamepad?

• Vinraith says:

@Arathain

For someone without a game pad, it’s impossible to play.

• Heliocentric says:

Get a pad, its critical for enjoying aquaria, bionic commando rearmed, and a few racing/vehicle based games with terrible keyboard controls but inherent deadzones which ruins usage of wheels.

• Arathain says:

I will get a pad at some point. I’m not sure when, though, since I haven’t managed it yet! My limited disposable income tends to be spend on games rather than peripherals.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

So far I’ve found Aquaria’s mouse’keyboard control to work quite well, does it get worse later or something? I agree with you on the others, though. I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 (always preferred PS2 controllers to Xbox ones) primarily for racing games.

• piecoughed says:

@Vinraith I’m baffled that you use a Rumblepad 2 for racing games. Aren’t the triggers on it basically just buttons? As in, not even spring loaded?

Dirt2/GRID are completely different games with actual triggers for gas/break.

• Vinraith says:

@piecoughed

It works fine for me. I usually remap gas and brake to face buttons anyway, having them on the trigger buttons has always felt unnatural. It’s all in what you’re used to, I suppose. If I was big into sim racing and felt the need for good analog gas/brake/steering control I’d own a wheel and pedal setup.

• Heliocentric says:

I cannot imagine how hard some of the boss battles would be without the reflexes and finesse which the analogue pad offers. Its strictly a one stick affair which is a shame because the one of the bosses make me wish i could sing the spells/songs which maneuvering, not finished yet though i just finished “the veil”. Its a bloody good game.

• Urthman says:

For someone without a game pad, it’s impossible to play.

Literally impossible? Like Ape Escape or Jet Grind Radio where the game won’t let you continue unless it registers certain analogue stick motions?

Or seemingly impossible in the sense that it’s really hard to find a keyboard layout that lets you push all the buttons with two hands? (I had some trouble setting up Spider-Man Web of Shadows so you could have all the moves under your fingertips, but with some thinking I made it work just fine.)

Or just “impossible” the way people claim that you “need” an analogue stick to control the Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider games? (Not my experience at all.)

• Heliocentric says:

You could get by on the easier settings and miss all the dynamics,flow and synergy of the game. Not actually impossible, not even seemingly, just a massive loss of enjoyment.

31. Jake says:

Crysis Complete (both games) was listed at 50% off for me, saying it was a 24 hour offer. But before I could get it, the offer seems to have vanished. I notice it is in the top sellers, so maybe it was listed at 50% off for a while?

32. piecoughed says:

If you don’t have a gamepad stay away, far far away. From what I can remember, the control scheme seemed to want me to put both hands on the keyboard AND use the mouse. Couldn’t even get past the tutorial with the strange feats of dexterity there were asking of me.

For people that have a 360 Gamepad (Logitech didn’t play nice with it.) it’s an OK game that was ported actually pretty well. Lots of visual options to turn on and even a benchmarking tool (personally I think Capcom deserves more credit for their PC ports). But if you really want the kind of game DMC4 is trying to be, I’d recommend you find a way to play Bayonetta. Much better time spent there.

• piecoughed says:

Arg, that was for @Arathain, serves me right for trying to talk to the internet on my laptop filtered through noscript.

33. malkav11 says:

Freedom Force and sequel are both amazing and should have been bought a long time ago, but if you don’t have them yet, $2 is a silly price for the pair. The rest of the sale isn’t that exciting, personally. Everyone should have Portal already, Mount and Blade has been on sale much cheaper (and Warband is, while discounted, inexplicably not counted in the sale), World of Goo has been on so many sales at that price point, Metro 2033 is a decent value at that price but I bought it last time it was on sale for that, Bad Company 2 continues to be one of those games that makes a mockery of Steam’s otherwise excellent sale discounts (if I wasn’t going to buy it to begin with, 33% is not enough to force my hand), and I got Just Cause 2 when it came out thankyewverymuch.

I’m a little torn on DMC4, though. It’s the sort of game that I would normally play on console because it’s designed for a gamepad and the ports are generally rubbish. However, this one is purportedly not, and takes advantage of the increased computing power of the PC to add a mode with a lot more enemies, which sounds fun….except for the part where I suck at these games and that’s a setting meant for additional challenge. So I dunno.

34. penhat says:

so, even though everyone is excited for the DotD on Steam, are there any suggestions for other games on Steam that are on sale and non-DotD? There are soooo many, most that I’m not familiar with, and I figure a lot are secret gems (for example, is Bad Rats a steal at less than a £1?)
    What say you?

• malkav11 says:

I say: ask again tomorrow. Until then, potentially anything on sale now could be on sale at a significantly lower price in the next set of daily deals.

• LewieP says:

@malkav11
      Agreed.

• Ricc says:

I suggest Clive Barker’s Jericho. It’s 1,7€ (won’t get any cheaper). The story is ludicrous, but I ended up liking some of the characters towards the end of the game. The combat makes for an interesting dynamic, which was a positive surprise for me. I’d even go so far as to call it an underappreciated game. :)

35. YogSo says:

Maybe this campaign is not so ‘glamorous’ as Steam’s Perils of Summer, but I thinks it should be granted at least a mention before it ends tomorrow:

David and Goliath 5-Day Showdown at GOG!.

An extract:
    “Sometimes it’s not easy being the “little guy” going up against a behemoth. Goliath’s massive stature casts a shadow over his challengers, and there are those who would simply retreat, cowering, back to their placid lives. But not David. While Goliath lets off some steam by offering those in his realm all sorts of grand discounts, in David’s kingdom, rock-bottom prices are already the norm; profit margins are slim. Instead, David relies on other tools, which he will use to topple his monstrous foe – all in good-natured competition, of course. Read on to find out how you, the citizens of David’s kingdom, can help him succeed in battle and share in the spoils of war (i.e. win one of 10 free games each day until July 4).”

I see what you did there, GOG :P

36. malkav11 says:

Oh, and I find Direct2Drive’s definition of wargame as “a game that in some way involves a war at some point” to be disappointing. Hearts of Iron III is the only thing that would normally be classed in that genre, and even then debatably.

• Vinraith says:

Gamersgate’s doing a much better job of putting on a 4th of July sale than D2D. They have some real, era-appropriate wargames in there at great prices.

37. Psychopomp says:

I cannot tell if Valve hates or loves our wallets.

38. ordteapot says:

Isn’t that, uh, present perfect? Is this a trap?

39. Vinraith says:

@ordteapot

40. jeremypeel says:

“Impulse probably have something on sale, bless ‘em.”

Ahaaa, I laughed, and then felt terrible for doing so.

41. fallingmagpie says:

Can’t believe Saints Row 2 for £2.49 isn’t getting more love. It’s phenomenal.

Picked up DMC4 for cheaps. Might Wikipedia read what the hell happened in the previous 3 games so I’ve got a clue…

• Jimbo says:

It is apparently terribly optimized for PC. Which is a shame, because I played it through co-op on 360 and it is indeed an awesome game.

• capital L says:

I’m starting to wonder if the PC-port issues were a problem that were either specifically solved, or solved by the drumbeat of computer advancement—because I bought it a few days ago and have had zero problems thus far (discounting the time I got stuck seated somehow in the passenger side of a vehicle, which is a more of a gameplay bug than a performance issue).

I’ve read speculation that it may have to do with simply having above a certain amount of ram for the PC version to run smoothly? At this price I’d totally recommend giving it a shot though, because I have found it to be a tremendous amount of fun thus far.

• Nick says:

It runs like arse on my PC sadly, at lest when driving, its mostly fine on foot and I still managed to get quite a lot of fun from it although certain challenges were pretty much impossible.

• drewski says:

Yeah, you just need a hefty amount of RAM. Don’t bother if you’re not toting 4GB.

If you’re intending to play on Win7, check the Steam forums for info on a speedup bug and what some interpid coders have done to fix it.

42. The Hammer says:

Hey, the discount for Another World isn’t working! What gives, Lewie?!

• Heliocentric says:

Error: Meme Timeout Error(0): This meme was only valid until 4/Jul/2010 24:00. Please enter a new meme.

43. Wizardglick says:

Maybe that we remember these conflicts and what the people who fought them have sacrificed. And what that payment bought for all of us?

• jarvoll says:

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

PRIVATE PROPERTY

SECEDERS WILL BE SHOT

SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN

44. Mac says:

Metro 2033 is cheaper at Retail … £11.99

45. Kefren says:

Steam doesn’t seem too good as a platform to those who aren’t already converted – http://crapcustserv.blogspot.com/2010/05/game-download-services.html. GOG bargains are great though, I picked up Another World yesterday haviin only played – and loved – the demo on the Amiga. I had a boxed version of Sanitarium so didn’t need that.

• arqueturus says:

I rate that blog site as a steaming pile of shit too.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Welcome to the internet, where anyone can write about anything without any basis in facts & someone somewhere will believe it & make decisions based upon it.

• Kefren says:

“no basis in facts”
      The posts were based on information from the service websites plus each service was given the chance to correct any mistakes. Which seems to be the only two factual sources that are reliable?

46. Iztli says:

Starcraft 2 on sale for $5 at best buy..

47. Iztli says:

from the US btw sorry >:P

48. TeeJay says:

Is today (ie JC2, Bad Company 2, etc) the last day of the Steam sale or is another 24 hours left starting at 6pm UK time?

49. penhat says:

so, repeating my earlier question, now that it’s the final day, any non-DotD day STEAM sale suggestions? Thanks babes

• Oak says:

A few, because you asked nicely:

Tropico Reloaded ($3.39) – One of the most interesting city builders ever, plus its expansion pack, plus its unusual pirate-themed sequel.

Vegas: Make it Big ($1.69) – Light tycoon funfest in which you construct and manage your resort and casino(s) to the minutest detail. Charming.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 ($10.19) – It’s Rollercoaster Tycoon in 3D. Doesn’t compare so favorably to the isometric masterpieces which preceded it, but it’s still RCT and is usually impossible to find on discount.

50. Nosredna says:

Ghost master on steam for £0.48! Hell year!

Oh yeah, Left4dead2 sale will SKYROCKET for this price.