More Signs Of (Half) Life From Fallout: Online

By John Walker on July 5th, 2010 at 4:12 pm.

Ah, well that explains it.

There’s more movement from Interplay regarding Fallout: Online, their MMO of the post-apocalyptic series that’s been the subject of so much legal dispute. There’s a press release on Interplay’s site that explains the first newsletter about the game is being sent out to those who signed up to the teaser site that appeared last month.

Destructoid has published the first of these newsletters, which you can read here. It is, however, a little ambiguous. Or, complete nonsense.

Who could ever have guessed the game would look like this?!

But more importantly, it’s signs of life from a project that has been subject to an awful lot of time in court.

You can still sign up for the newsletter, and volunteer to take part in the beta, at the teaser site. Stay awhile to listen to the splendid song.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gaytard Fondue says:

it only took them 3 days to get this out…

2. Andy says:

A whole big chunk of the legal issue around this was that part of the licensing of the Fallout franchise stated that if Interplay had put significant resources into developing an MMO they would be allowed to finish the project.
    This strikes me very much as Interplay making the most they can of their developed assets so it seems they’ve been working hard for ages.
    From what I can tell in the legal proceedings they missed the deadline set out in the license agreement and now bethesda want to milk that cash cow instead.

3. Bhazor says:

Still no screenshots for a game that is supposedly in the public beta stage? Strike 1
    Still no mention of the game on the developers website beyond a one paragraph news post? Thirty Love (so their summary of Earthrise is somewhat familiar http://www.mastheadstudios.com/games.php)
    Interplay? Bingoal!!! They’re off to the bullshit semi finals!

I don’t much about sports but I have no nose for mischief and shenanigans and I’m getting a smell off this.

4. Mike says:

Where did you get the idea that they ever said it was in Beta. The Beta is not even planned until 2012 according to interplay, obviously this game is still very early in development and showing any actual screenshots at this point wouldnt make any sense.

5. Grunt says:

I’ve not been following this legal pugilism but I have been playing Fallout 3 for the first time this weekend so feel obliged to add my two-caps-worth. From my entirely unedumacated perspective it looks as if Interplay let licence rot for years, Bethesda swooped on it when they saw the chance to please some fans and make a few coins at the same time but now Interplay, having seen said coin flowing into Bethesda pockets, are crying no fair it’s OUR licence – we deserve to make some coin too?

Is that a fair appraisal?

• bob_d says:

My understanding is that Interplay, not doing so well (at all), sold off the Fallout rights to Bethesda but licensed back the MMO rights for a Fallout game (with a number of conditions) years before Fallout 3 came out. Bethesda are claiming that Interplay haven’t been serious about developing the MMO, with Bethesda taking concern presumably because they’re going to get some money when the MMO actually comes out. Bethesda want to make sure the IP is in the hands of a developer who can actually make the game in a timely manner, to take advantage of the IP’s revival. Interplay’s website is an attempt to say, “Yes, we’re making progress with the game,” true or not.
      I’m (wildly) guessing that Interplay may not have have been able to raise much development money until after Fallout 3 was a success, so even though they had the MMO rights since 2004, they probably weren’t able to do much with it until recently.

• suibhne says:

Not exactly. It’s now been established as a matter of public record that Bethesda didn’t swoop in to “please some fans” – they actually competed against and outbid a group of guys who made the original Fallout, who were working together at that time in developer Troika. It was all pretty mercenary.

Bethesda never got the “full” Fallout license; it didn’t automatically cover MMO rights. In the license sale and in later court shenanigans, there were conditions placed on when and whether Interplay could move ahead with an MMO, and it seems that Interplay is trying pretty hard to publicly demonstrate that they’re complying even tho they’re probably not.

6. The Pink Ninja says:

I really care about MMO games. There’s so much they can do that a single player game never can. Half the ideas I have for games are MMOs…

But until I see with my own eyes it’s not a commonplace WoW clone, I assume it will be a commonplace WoW clone and thus I do not care.

Are they smart or stupid to make such things do you think? On the one hand a successful WoW-a-like could be worth millions… On the other hand, they inevitably fail in the face of the real thing.

I hope when we finally get a new Planetside (Or a true sucessor) it’s a huge sucess and all the Publishers realise there are huge untapped markets of people like me who love the idea of MMOs but hate the reality that WoW, Everquest and WO present.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I forgot to add:

1) A harsh survival Fallout Game with more FPS like mechanics where radiation, food, water and equipment are real worries would be awesome… but given the single player version wasn’t much like that….

2) I want to play as a Ghoul… or failing that a Raider

3) Hardcore, PVP servers with slavery. Can you dig it?

• Vinraith says:

@Pink Ninja

Point #1 is handled beautifully by the Fallout Wanderer’s Edition mod for Fallout 3, and it also somewhat address point #2.

7. Aorawn says:

Fast Eddie was a character from Morrowind. More specifically, he was the High Elf you could recruit to become your Mouth in the House Telvanni storyline.

8. malkav11 says:

I really don’t want a Fallout MMO. Whenever I hear about this, I think about how badly I would like the whole project to die so entangled in legal disputation that the concept can never be resurrected.

• Zerotonine says:

Why’s that? What did a Fallout MMO ever do to you? :)

I’m not too keen on the idea myself, if I’m going to be playing a long-term game, I don’t want to look at a world that is mostly brown and grey, I’ve lived in Sheffield!

That being said, why do you not want it to even be in existence so that others may enjoy it? I sincerely doubt that the single player iterations will cease, if that’s what you’re concerned about.

• bob_d says:

You know, I really don’t care much for MMOs, but the idea of a Fallout MMO actually has some appeal, assuming they could manage to keep enough of the elements that make Fallout what it is. Of course that’s unlikely, but luckily, if they were to fail, you’re not actually obligated to play the game. I’m not sure it would have that big an impact on any future Bethesda Fallout games one way or the other, either.

9. Blahblah says:

What I thought when I saw that pic.

10. RProxyOnly says:

I would pay to play a Fallout MMO… IF… it was turn based and had the original system in tact, but a generic Fallout flavoured button pushing MMO?

No chance, you metal bastard.

Comment on this story