Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent Demo

By John Walker on July 5th, 2010 at 3:57 pm.

Wacky.

Last week I let you know Wot I Think of Telltale’s latest, Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent. This week you can decide for yourself, by having a play of the demo. It’s a cross between the DS’s Professor Layton series, and the DS’s Professor Layton series. With gnomes.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lars Westergren says:

I bought and played this over the weekend. I liked it a lot more than John did. Artwork and music was atmospheric. Voice acting and dialogue I thought was fine. I haven’t played Layton so I don’t know how it compares, but I enjoyed the puzzles. I agree that a few of them could have been explained better, sometimes you failed a puzzle because of unstated rules.

Also the story ended a bit abruptly…. But all in all I enjoyed the game. Moar plz.

• Raum says:

I say it’s definitively worth playing.

However, it’s a bit sad that it doesn’t live up to it’s Grickle roots. Somehow, it just can’t quite seem to recreate the Grickle feel. The first mistake they did was using a 3D engine. I think the only cute thing I saw it used for was the vertigo-zoom in the trailer. Also, it has another type of pacing entirely. There is no timing in this game. Grickle is all timing.

More importantly, though, the puzzles aren’t very good. Good puzzles are really a tight-rope, if you falter once, why would anyone want to think your rules makes sense the next time? I found myself not caring much if I beat the game, as I was already feeling quite a bit smarter than the designers after I, time after time, felt the rules and problems were in no way elegant, smart or stringent.

Take Machinarium, for instance. The whole game oozed logic. It all made sense, and I was compelled to just push on, really trying to understand a puzzle when I didn’t immediately get it. To try again. In Puzzle Agent, when I had been sitting a few minutes, I usually thought that it was just another badly designed puzzle. Unfortunately, I was right more times than not. Which is a crying shame. It’s a game based on Grickle. Talk about potential.

• Matt says:

The most Grickle thing about it was the ending… which was very Grickle. Also, that dream sequence was pretty out there as well….

2. Michelle says:

Well. I’ve been seeing good positive reactions on something Awful, and I generally trust Telltale.

3. Javier-de-Ass says:

loved the artstyle, story, dialogue and all that. hated the stupid puzzles.

4. Mischa says:

Loved the artstyle, story, dialog and all that. Loved the *diversity* of the puzzles. Liked most puzzles.

Also, the picture above isn’t a spoiler until someone says it is a spoiler. Or is it?

• Javier-de-Ass says:

weren’t there only like 5 different puzzles and the rest being just variations or reskins of those same puzzles over and over? I’m pretty sure that’s what was going on when I played through it hehe