Best Of British: Ultima 6 Project Released

By Kieron Gillen on July 6th, 2010 at 10:31 am.

I was working on a Low Avatar Cigarettes gag, but gave up, because it wasn't a gag. And I now realise just by clicking the tag, this was the same screenshot I used for the Beta post. Oh noes!

It’s always heartwarming when one of these enormous mod-projects actually reaches the holy 1.0. They started in 2001. And now, in 2010, they release their complete Ultima VI mod for Dungeon Siege. You can go and get it here. I can only give them a hearty round of applause. And, alas, I mean it literally – I’ve long since lost my copy of Dungeon Siege, and it’s really tricky to buy online (You’re best off trying on a place like Amazon). No video of the finished version available, but here’s a little footage from the 5th out of 8th milestone…

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Azazel says:

Wow – I never thought I’d have a reason to open the Dungeon Siege box again. Take that thought!

2. Mart says:

Oooh. Anyone know where to buy DS1 online (aka digital distribution) that is not region locked?

3. Matt says:

GoGamer has it for $15, which admittedly doesn’t help any non-US folks.

4. oceanclub says:

So is it any good? What I mean is, is the story of Ultima 6 so good that’s worth playing in a new (!) engine?

P.

• Ezhar says:

Nice. Now where do I get a Dungeon Siege game? I think I sold mine ages ago, damnit.

@oceanclub: Yes, Ultima 6 was really damn good. And long. Especially if you wanted to explore everything. I also remember getting slain a lot.

• EaterOfCheese says:

Short answer: yes, it’s very very good :) Old school open world awesome rpg ftw.

The story is excellent – similar quality to the ultima 5 remake, also using the dungeon siege engine. Find a mirror from the main site at u6project.com

5. iLag says:

true story: I saved a boxed copy of Dungeon Siege for this. and then I almost miss the release. ouch. (so thanks for reminding me. and hooray!)

6. Ripbeefbone says:

I thought the great thing about ultima was being able to pick up anything and interact with everything, and the dialogue trees, not the combat, isn’t dungeon siege just a hack and slash?

7. Rodalpho says:

Yes, the story is strong enough. Ultima6 is either the second or third best ultima. Probably the third, I’d rate them 7, 5, 6, 7.5, 4, 3.

This is a total conversion, it’s nothing like dungeon siege.

8. malkav11 says:

Yeah, I’ve never really understood the Ultima V remake and now fail to understand this one. Why Dungeon Siege? The vanilla game didn’t do anything interesting whatsoever and certainly didn’t show any signs of being able to accurately recreate a game with the depth and complexity of the late era Ultimas (well, V through VII).

• dancingcrab says:

It’s a highly moddable engine. Nothing to do with the game design of DS, just the fact that the engine was/is very accessible. Ultima 5: Lazarus is actually really really good.

• EaterOfCheese says:

@ malkav11

Oh ye of little faith.

The Ultima V remake – Lazarus – did wonders with the DS engine – and was fun, complex, and extremely well written.

The Ultima 6 remake goes even further, it rocks.

• EaterOfCheese says:

Ah wow :D Just read the DS1MOD.txt in the u6 directory… Brought a smile to my face when I sped-read to the end:

“Have fun storming the castle!”

Nice touch.

• jsdn says:

The game crashed at the end of the video.

9. dancingcrab says:

Dungeon Siege is easy to easy to get online. I bought a Legends Of Aranna copy a couple of months ago on eBay.co.uk to replace my regular copy (because it was cheap). Now I have a spare kicking around…

10. Mana_Garmr says:

You can get the original or Legends of Aranna for < £3 on Play.com aswell.

11. ruaidhri says:

oh no, i’ve just found my copy of dungeon siege after seeing this article. and hostile waters. and the nomad soul. and NOLF. and about a dozen others. I’m meant to be going on holiday in two days damnit.

12. EaterOfCheese says:

btw there’s a Let’s Play of the Ultima 5 remake that’s pretty representative of U6 – e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMY9YGAguw

13. Mad Hamish says:

Everyone’s thinking it but no ones asking.
    So…eh.. who’s working on the Ultima 7 remake and when’s it coming out?

14. Aletys says:

Either DS1 or DSLOA will work. If you use DS1 you will need to update the latest patch (1.11 version). If you use DSLOA, it contains the fully patched version of DS1, so nothing else needed. Enjoy!

Aletys
    Ultima 6 Project Development Team

15. Mad Hamish says:

Everyone’s thinking it but nobody’s asking.
    So….eh….who’s remaking Ultima 7 and when’s it coming out?

• JKjoker says:

The Ultima 7 (both parts) emulator, Exult has been available for years with everything you could ever want (except maybe 3d graphics but come on, you can live with the 2d ones), it has zoomed graphics, filters, high quality music and so on

i wish Pentagram, the ultima 8/crusader emulator would come back of the dead tho, u8 works and you can finish it with the current version but its buggy and i’d really like to play crusader with it

• JKjoker says:

The Ultima 7 (both parts) emulator, Exult (http://exult.sourceforge.net) has been available for years with everything you could ever want (except maybe 3d graphics but come on, you can live with the 2d ones), it has zoomed graphics, filters, high quality music and so on

i wish Pentagram (http://pentagram.sourceforge.net), the ultima 8/crusader emulator would come back of the dead tho, u8 works and you can finish it with the current version but its buggy and i’d really like to play crusader with it

• Gritz says:

There’s no reason to remake Ultima 7 as it’s already one of the most perfect computer role playing games ever made. There’s no modern game engine that could capture the seamlessness, vibrance and interactivity of Ultima 7′s world.

16. Lord_Santa says:

hehe, I bought DS1 for the Ultima V – Lazarus remake and then I heard of this

needless to say, I’ve been waiting for many years for these to arrive

alas, I need to finish up Ultima IV before I continue (XU4 FTW!)

17. halfthought says:

lol the game is retailing for less then a dollar.

If you feel that bad about piracy, just send the studio five bucks or something :/

18. Zephyr says:

Hey there. Just wanted to address a couple of questions.

“isn’t dungeon siege just a hack and slash?”

Yes. Yes it is. However, our mod is not. I think we went further than the original U6 did in terms of interacting. There is a whole trade system, a crafting system, instruments to play, etc.

I get this one a lot:

“Why Dungeon Siege?”

Because the other engines wouldn’t have worked. We looked at NWN (total fail – locked in to D&D rules and the dialog system sucked) and Morrowind (no party system at all) and rejected both in favor of Dungeon Siege. Yes, it’s not the best system in the world, but it’s the only modern game engine that allows simultaneous control of 8 player characters. Or, it was at the time.

“U4’s not getting enough love here.”

It’s true. Someone else should go out and mod that one up. It only takes 8 years or so. :) Maybe half that, since we’ve already done the hard work for you with the Project Britannia back-end.

• malkav11 says:

• James T says:

It’s true. Someone else should go out and mod that one up.

Agreed! I just meant insufficient love in this thread, my game-engine-repurposing capabilities are limited ;|

19. 7rigger says:

Shout out for U4!

Still my favorite, despite the fact that I haven’t beanten it after many years of trying.

20. Zephyr says:

Yes. We were not able to implement ridable horses, and you can’t fly the ::thing that I don’t want to mention as it’s a spoiler:: anywhere you want a la flying carpet.

21. Zephyr says:

“So here’s my question: are there any features from the original that couldn’t be implemented, either due to engine limitations or some other reason?”

Let’s try this again.

Yes. We were not able to implement ridable horses (there is a horribly difficult way, but it’s not practical with an 8-character party system anyway), and you can’t fly the ::thing that I don’t want to mention as it’s a spoiler:: anywhere you want a la flying carpet.

22. JonSmith says:

Hmmm. Be nice to have a torrent of this as my download keeps dropping.

23. Zephyr says:

“Hmmm. Be nice to have a torrent of this as my download keeps dropping.”

We broke it into 10 smaller files. Hope that helps.

24. pistolhamster says:

I promptly went and ordered Dungeon Siege + Aranna compilation for a mere fiver. It is on disc, but heck, I RLY RLY don’t care since I’m gonna play Ultima VI. And then Ultima V :)

25. Mad Hamish says:

Yeah you’re right. I don’t think Ultima 7 would be the same with out the sprites. I would lose it’s charm with all the lighting and effects.
    Didn’t know someone was fiddling with Ultima 8 though. It got a lot of stick back in the day, but I thought it was great.

26. RedFred says:

Oh sweet mother of awesomeness. Will have to purchase DS though, argh.

27. Ozzy says:

Jsdn: Are you playing with core Dungeon Siege? In that case you should install Dungeon Siege v1.13 patch (can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/dungeonsiege.aspx).
    This was usually the reason for the game crashing after the initial video.

If you are running Legends of Aranna then you do not need the patch. In that case all I can suggest is to pop up at our forum, report the issue and tell us what OS you use and we will try to find the solution.

28. Zephyr says:

Site’s down, which is joyful. We did issue a torrent:

Dealing with fallout w/host now. Got slashdotted. Full helping of blessing with side order of curse.

29. mioara says:

WOW, MU, Cabal, RO, LN2, Ran, RS, Flyff, PW, MS, Aion, Dekaron
    Gaming Sites, Guilds, Free Servers, Online Servers wow private servers

30. Hardwired says:

Buy a non-region locked copy? I don’t know about buying one, but just about anything that was ever digitized is available via bitorrent client. Most countries outside the US still view the legality of bitorrent with a (relatively) open mind, especially with ancientware like DungeonSiege.

Comment on this story