Interstellar Marines: “Running Man” Thinger

By Jim Rossignol on July 7th, 2010 at 7:15 pm.

I’ve said it before, but I really like what Zero Point Software are doing with the little Unity teases that they are releasing for their game. The most recent is some “Advanced Combat Training”, which you can play over on the main site.

The training takes place two kilometers below ground deep inside a secret military facility. Here you’ll face an onslaught of challenging Combat Training Robot in a range of different training environments. If you succeed you’ll be one step closer to becoming a part of the elite battalion of Interstellar Marines secretly being established as first line of defense against other sentient species.

And they’ve trailered it for our convenience, below. Good stuff.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Flint says:

I was all excited to check this out as this is definitely one of my most anticipated things (much thanks to the wonderful previews before), but the fact that you can’t reconfigure key bindings makes it completely unplayable for me. Lovely.

2. Aftershock says:

Man, it’s a real shame that some of the biggest selling games don’t put in this kind of effort…. ie, MW2 etc.

3. Tei says:

I am not a littel girl, but I would not play this thing at night. Is scaaaaaary.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

Quite. I’m a real wimp and the relentlessness of the drones plus the atmosphere and I quit during training. Too stressful, too claustrophobic.

• Lack_26 says:

Same, I gave it a try a few weeks back, but quit fairly quickly. It’s too lonely and the robots are too faceless and inhuman, they’re actually some of the scariest in-game adversaries I’ve faced.

4. Kid A says:

In the future, all elite soldiers will be trained… to charge up to the enemy, then run backwards while unloading clips into their bodies.

5. Akimbo says:

“In the future”
    “An elite group”
    “One man”
    etc’

6. Drexer says:

I only have one thing to say regarding the name:

…Minus 000 and Counting…

(…)

The explosion was tremendous, lighting up the night like the wrath of god, and it rained fire twenty blocks away.”

7. Tonamel says:

“You Will Believe”

I’m still working out what it is I’m going to be believing in…

8. DK says:

These Robots are scarier than Left 4 Dead Zombies (or any game zombies really). Don’t quite know how they managed to do that.

• Poltergeist says:

Purchasing game. This is the best. YES.

• Benny says:

“Lllllllllllllook at you hacker…. errr i mean, interstellar marine…” Brings back memories…

In this running man section she feels a bit flat voiced, but i’m sure used in full game context it’ll be much better.

9. Greg Wild says:

I do love the feel of the weapons.

They’re like BANG(!) and everything. The handle nicely too. Very nice.
    MMMmmmmMMMMMMmm.

• DK says:

They have an article about that on their site. They consider sound design 50% of the game – and did some fancy stuff to implement proper reverb in the teaser slices.

• Oneironaut says:

The sound and feel of the weapons is definitely very important for me. I spent about 2 hours in that shooting gallery they have set up there and loved it.

• Benny says:

Yup, i’d say as an fps they’ve really nailed the look, sound, recoil, and other gunny aspects of the guns that alot of large scale studios fail to do. Using Unity engine makes it even more of an acomplishment.

I think this will become a sleeper enjoyable game. As long as they get the pricing right and the game feels fun and fresh (which it’s starting to atm), then i don’t think i’ll care too much about the cliche story or characters.

10. N says:

Mouse control freezes when voice-overs come in. So if I am shooting while the overseer or whatever makes a “boo-ya!” remark the rifle continues to fire until the mag is empty. Yeah.

11. Vivian says:

Well finally someone remembered one of the many things looking glass kept shouting at the rest of the industry. I like this, it feels meaty.

12. Sunjumper says:

Great atmosphere. I enjoied this little demo (and the one that came before) more than some other games I played in the not so distant past.

For some reason it reminded me a lot of the ancient AMIGA game Hired Guns which had a simlar feel to it. Come to think of it I would really like to see a remake of that game. Especially as four player coop would not be such an eye breaking expirience as on the original…

13. ChampionHyena says:

If you find yourself enamored of this project, for the love of all that is holy do not enter the Vault.

Quadripedal sharks?

Really?

And they’re proud of this?

After the rare joy of Bullseye and Running Man, the Goddamn cougar-sharks have my head spinning. I need to lie down.

14. duel90 says:

Interstellar Marines:BACKPEDDLE MAN

15. Chris says:

seconded on the scary, and the irritation at non-remappable keys (I’m playing through Dead Space at the moment, which is a lazy console port that won’t allow movement on the cursor keys, but I don’t expect it on PC games. Is this a problem with Unity? At least it allowed invert mouse…

I actually played this through yesterday as I’m on their mailing list. Is there an RPS address we can sent stuff like this to, or should we just assume the Hive Mind is omniscient?

- Chris.

• CMaster says:

@Chris
      See “Hey developers” up above, or click any of the guy’s names to mail them individually.
      A few of the things up on here have been tips from me, and I know others have tipped off too.
      That said, RPS are also on most dev’s mailing lists, if they ever came by here.

• Chris says:

CMaster, cheers. I figured they probably knew anyway :)

• Tarqon says:

Cursor keys AND inverted mouse? What kind of an abomination are you?!

16. Tarqon says:

Why, whyyyyyyyy must every shooter have aiming down the sights? It’s such an awful and unnecessary game mechanic. :(

17. Vivian says:

DISAGREE DISAGREE DISAGREE

18. Berm says:

Well, You Will Believe is a way that the developers have of showing that this game is community-funded and the developers are building the game on the wishes of the community and not on the wishes of a game publisher. They’re trying to make a real PC-exclusive game like in the old days.

And this game won’t be browser-based, the browser-based mini-games you can play now serve more as a tech demo for the game.

Comment on this story