Believe Every Word: Disciples III Demo

By Alec Meer on July 8th, 2010 at 9:50 pm.

In a just world, I would be playing this right now. But as it’s 4 Gigabytes fat and my internet connection in my new flat currently involves dangling a hacked phone out of the window in a near-futile attempt to tether my PC to a flaky 3G connection, I am not. Would you mind doing it for me and telling me what you think? It’s the demo of Disciples III: Rennaisance, a Heroes of Might and Magic / King’s Bounty-style turn-based strategy roleplaying hybrid that looks rather pretty and agreeably fiendish. I would like to play it. I can’t. I’m going to go and kill some puppies because I’m so upset about this.

Oh, and the big fat demo apparently contains three levels (each starring a different faction) and the tutorial.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Antsy says:

4 gigs? Blimey.

I’d like to download it but after the Steam sale I’m expecting BT to send two “heavies” to my door to explain their fair use policy. Bloody Sale, Blood Bowl for £8.50? That’s like a free sample of crystal meth!

2. ChampionHyena says:

Four gigs is a little heavy, yeah. Though I might see about loosing some dead weight from my hard drive. I adored Disciples II.

• ChampionHyena says:

“Loosing” as in “setting loose,” not “loosing” as in “typographically mutated gerund of the word ‘lose,’” before anyone slaps me.

• Riaktion says:

*slap*

• Jeremy says:

Thanks for the clarification, I was winding up. I really can’t handle “loose” v. “lose” or the “their, there, they’re” shame that people are so ready to produce with their vile typing.

• Okami says:

I was at a festival in germany a few weeks ago and saw a guy there with the following sentence tattooed across his chest in rather big letters: “Life is a loosing game”

I didn’t have the heart ask him if he knew, that he had an o too much etched into his skin…

3. Vinraith says:

What are terabyte drives for? I quite enjoyed D2, so despite having heard bad things I’ll give this one a shot.

4. Gothrek says:

I might say I’ve enjoyed D1 n D2 but this part is too much HoMM and a bit too buggy(its out in europe after all this time, and they havent fixed a thing). It lost every part of Disciplenes, maybe almost every part, the units and buildings are the same as D2 only in 3D

5. Aninhumer says:

Is your internet also the reason for the horrible jpeg artifacts in that image?
    Sorry, to nitpick, but it bugs me! :P

6. Riaktion says:

Downloaded…. installing… its now 1:29am and I have work in the morning.

I really should be in bed

7. John Peat says:

First impressions are that it’s intro video is the biggest heap of fantasy drivel I’ve ever heard – it’s like the guy is reading from random pages of ‘insert generic fantasy book here’.

The game’s “tutorial” is basically a helpfile you have to hack through as well – that’s not entirely promising…

• John Peat says:

Update: That tutorial helpfile is thrown at you as you guess your way around and it’s fairly predictable HOMM/KB/AOW stuff to start with at least.

It’s quite pretty – the combat system is what you’re expect (nothing more and nothing less) – this does seem to be a genre which is utterly stuck tho.

KB was desribed as a 10/10 game with an 8/10 combat system (Eurogamer IIRC?) so I think we’ll have to rely on the Russians to dig this one out??

• RUN msdos.exe -DMC says:

Eh, combat t’was slightly innovative in the previous title. Perhaps as far back as the first. That’s my impression based on seeing King’s Bounty combat and extrapolating that to HoMM combat. Their combat is on a (another?) grid while D2 was a deadly accurate clone of the turn-based combat from an archaic (S)NES RPG.

Pretty conjecture, though, as I’ve not played HoMM. It struck me as odd when I played King’s and found the combat area to be grid-based (ie. drawn in the scene) and the standard terrain to not be. I was so used to strategy RPGs wrought by Japanese masters that even separate fields for combat and movement was fairly odd.

It’s not like I’ve finished D2, so D3 doesn’t do anything for me.

8. Danny says:

It’s made by Russians, silly.

9. mrpier says:

That angel looks like Elaine Belloc from Lucifer.

10. Megazver says:

The Russian version got the average scores of, like, four out of ten. And Russian game magazines are not exactly strangers to the whole 7-9 game scale, especially when it’s a game by a native developer. Apparently, it’s that bad.

But maybe they completely retooled it for western release, I don’t know.

11. Mac says:

I played the full game and it’s really bad. I generally like these types of games, really like, and while this is pretty and has really nice art it’s like they gave up developing before they were even finished. There’s a lot of unfinished stuff in the game. I won’t name it all but one of the funniest things is that there’s only 1 single player map and 2 hot seat maps. There’s the campaigns but in them you’re forced to use 1 single named hero, and while you can find plenty armories throughout the many maps in the campaign that sells you gear, you can’t use ANY of it cause it’s only for custom map game heroes, not campaign.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

You can hire secondary heroes at your capital in campaign missions, at least in version 1.6, the release version for Europe.

Comment on this story