Mod News: White Rabbit

By Lewis Denby on July 8th, 2010 at 2:04 pm.

Oh my goodness, it’s late. Sorry. My calendar totally whizzed back in time, or something. Quick, before anyone notices, let’s get down to business: here’s what’s been going down on the mod scene in the past eight days.

NEWS

So, this has appeared out of nowhere. Overwatch is a Half-Life 2 mod which combines FPS and RTS mechanics to create something that looks bloomin’ excellent – and is out soon. In some capacity, at least – its first closed release is less than a couple of weeks away. This looks tight, polished and professional, and certainly worth following very closely.

Also up this week is a CoD 4: Modern Warfare mod called Apocalypse 2012 – a single-player dealie about an asteroid hitting the Earth. It looks to be literally exploding with originality, as you’ll have guessed. But, er, actually, some of the level design appears neat. Have a look at the first public in-game video here.

Oh, and you know how I always moan about Stalker mods changing the visual feel of the game too much for my liking? Yeah, well, I think I might be prepared to let it go a little for AtmosFear 2, the Call of Pripyat tweak-pack. Here, for example, is what blowouts are going to look like. I can certainly get behind that, thank you very much.

And here’s some new stuff on Bloodlines mod Antitribu, which adds seven new clans, new disciplines, new weapons, new textures and new story elements to Troika’s officially-the-third-best-PC-game-ever-remember. New content for Bloodlines is always worth keeping at least half a lazy eye on, right?

RELEASES

Red Alert 3 mod Paradox is out! Well, a public beta of it, anyway. Here’s a total conversion set in the aftermath of the mother game, the global superpowers having been devastated by war and so forth. There’s not enough modding tackled for Red Alert 3, so this is probably worth checking out by default – let alone for the fact that early reports suggest it’s pretty good.

And of course there’s the Ultima 6 Project for Dungeon Siege. Should this be in Updates? There’s been public betas before, but this is the bona fide 1.0 release, so since the Releases section of this column was looking a little bare, it goes here. Kieron’s already written some brief stuff about this, though, so I refer you to his words here.

UPDATES

Bouncy bouncy Half-Life 2 multiplayer mod GraviNULL, which has been going down a treat so far, has his its first open beta. The mod, in which you move around only by grappling through zero-G space, has been picking up interest since its public alpha release back in February, and word suggests this beta version is another step in very much the right direction. One to dive into and keep an eye on, I suspect.

Meanwhile, and less overhauly, Orion (also HL2 multiplayer) has reached Beta version 1.2a. It’s server side updates with 20 fixes and additions relating to the weapons. More excitingly, perhaps, is a tremendously intriguing announcement! Of, um, an announcement. Yes, the Orion developers are promising something will be revealed on the 18th. Something is better than nothing!

AND THE REST

At UserCreated, here’s Matthew Lee writing in depth about how to polish up Mount & Blade: Warband. I suspect people should be writing more of these tutorials about how to decently mod games, rather than develop mods for games, if you see what I mean.

And over at Something Awful there’s some stuff on how to make Morrowind all pretty. Which, to be honest, I’d say still is pretty without mods. But these screenshots do look uncommonly beautiful for a game so old.

There’ll be more mod-stuff, no doubt, at UserCreated across the week. The next Mod News might be a little less substantial than usual, since I’ll have to scrawl it all out on Monday, what with my being in Brighton for the Develop Conference after that. Let’s hope the mod scene goes barmy in the next few days, then. Ta-ra.

Jim’s note: lovely new logo by Jake Ozga.

__________________

« | »

1. CMaster says:

Well now, Overwatch looks mighty impressive, and touches on a game idea I had based around the engine being used for Natural Selection 2.

• Stromko says:

The setup is the same as Iron Grip: The Oppression, another Source mod. Said mod was largely abandoned with notable gaps in completeness, so it’s just as well someone else is coming along with the same idea but more polish.

2. jonfitt says:

I would very much like a place to read articles on how to polish up games with recommended mods.

I understand that with things like Oblivion it’s very much a user preference, but I would like the opinion of someone who has seen all the mods to aid me in choosing the best set of tweaks to fully realise the game’s potential.

3. Schmung says:

Firearms Source is releasing in a couple of weeks. July 23rd to be precise.

4. Sam says:

Definitely going to to give the Morrowind guide a go, those screenshots look stunning.

5. ReV_VAdAUL says:

A word of warning regarding the Something Awful / Morrowind guide, its based on old versions of some stuff and thus may be a little bit confusing but still generally works. As with a lot of megathreads on SA the OP doesn’t have the time to update and keep things to update and users of the thread post “current stuff” as and when.

On that note Forums user Oggumogoggum has put together a truly awesome collection of aesthetic / general minor improvement mods thats easy as pie to install with Wyre Mash. Details and a link to the torrent can be found here:

And as an SA goon I may as well recommend looking in games for the Fallout 3 and Oblivion Mod threads through unless you’re a member they might not be quite as cool cos one of their major benefits is people helping you with load order and stuff.

6. Eight Rooks says:

Note that shortly after I wrote that Mount & Blade article Gutekfiutek announced on the Taleworlds forums he is porting Polished Landscapes over to Warband after all. Oh, well. At least there’s a good reason I did all that for nothing.

It’s an incredible mod, really. Even more astonishing for being a couple of days’ work. Probably my favourite user-created graphical improvement of all those I’ve ever seen. I held off on purchasing Warband partly because I felt surely the commercially released sequel/expansion ought to look better than the mods for the original game? But it very arguably doesn’t. Can’t wait to properly start playing Warband with it, particularly now he’s supposedly actually improving it as well as just porting it across.

7. edosan says:

Add me on the “I’d like to see more mod tutorials” list. There are some games I bought and never played (Morrowind) because I was overwhelmed by all the available stuff.

8. Seamus says:

I’m hoping and praying that the update to Orion the developers are teasing is the inclusion of the fabled Halo Dinosaurs. WHERE ARE THEY???

9. Jake says:

Anyone have any tips on modding The Witcher for a first playthrough? Looks like there aren’t too many mods, but loads of reports of things crashing and Steam problems.

10. Lord_Mordja says:

Guys, check out Paradox if you have the game; it’s pretty cool. Despite the inclusion of a tonne of new units and an entire side, its biggest contribution is probably the inclusion of proper dogfigting physics to the game. No longer will your planes stop in midair to shoot stupidly at each other!

It’s still beta though and so unbalanced and buggy as hell, but the team seems a dedicated lot.

11. pival says:

mmmh beautiful Morrowind <3
    If people are interested in such guide, a tiny compilation of Modding Guides for several games is available here : http://www.reddit.com/r/moddingguides/

12. sm says:

News:
    A new graphics conversion mod for mount and blade warband has been finally released.
    (given rps has a warband server worth pointing out to others here)

It renders the landscapes similar to arma 2 or crysis as people have commented (believe it or not).
    Screenshots on thread.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,87617.0.html (screenshots showing difference from a very early alpha version)

*****
    Given the difference a second wot U think or even a short retro-review is in order…

Comment on this story