The Ten Year Game Pageant

By Jim Rossignol on July 8th, 2010 at 11:29 am.

Following Terry Cavanagh’s presentation of different lengths of indie game development jam at World Of Love, the guys at The Game Collective have come up with a novel length of time for their fourth games pageant: the next decade. Entrants will have ten years to come up with a game for the pageant.

So, deadline is on July the 8th, 2020.

Which is long-term thinking in a way that I like. (Although I am forced to wonder how many of these games will be rushed to completion in the final few weeks…)

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. LeFishy says:

I actually really really like this.

It gives me an excuse to start on something horribly ambitious that I can forget about and pick up every now and then when I am bored. I just hope someone remembers about it come 2020 and all that…

I fear it is a little reliant on the world’s infrastructure at least remaining similar to how it is today.

2. Baka says:

I guess I have to read that other article then, because I have no clue what this one here is about.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s like a beauty pageant. Ten year old games get tarted up in lipstick and little dresses, and made to sing a song in front of an audience.

3. CMaster says:

OK, intersting.
    Let’s say you have the resources and the desire to just make a game for 10 years.
    You presumably won’t want a huge team, but one that fluctuates over time. (Yes, I realise most entrants to this will be indie soloists doing it in addition to other things. I’m just playing thought experiment here)

What can you make 10 years before release? What can and can’t you trust?
    Writing doesn’t age. Good writing will stand you by very well, and 10 years gives a lot of time for that to done. You could have a detailed, fleshed out world, with reams of dialouge, books to read, etc etc without too much worries. Equally, you could get started on voice acting for all of this, that won’t age unfairly either. Art style can be refined thoroughly too. More problematic is actual gameplay mechanics, environment layout, graphics. All these things are dictated by both the computing power availible at the time you launch, and the control systems being used, the technological developments in engines, physics, etc etc, as well as the audience expectations. There’s certainly the time available to work up a good procedural content generation system, but I think that given 10 years development time, you’re missing an opportunity to hand craft everything to do so. On the other hand, AI development is something that can at least be worked on from the early stages.

Thoughts?

• Decimae says:

Achron is in development for more than 10 years, and from the beginning the lead designer has been building the engine. So it’s possible to start on the engine, as long as you think of something almost impossible to do(time travel in Achron).

4. Rob says:

Looks like i only have 9 years and about 50 weeks to become a programmer.

5. Smithee says:

I’d suggest Dwarf Fortress as an entrant, but somehow I doubt it will be out of alpha by 2020. (Maybe Episode 3 instead?)

6. jonfitt says:

I think I’ll have my 2 year old enter this competition. I think she can be a competent programmer by 12 if we start now.

7. NukeLord says:

I’ve got a great idea for this. The main character is a macho ladies’ man out to kick some alien butt, to make things interesting I’ll give him a lisp. The working title is DNS.

• Nallen says:

I always thought Duke was a great name for a macho ladies’ man out to kick some alien butt. Do you think it’ll catch on?

Flimgoblin says:

This might be just enough time for me to finish a game….

Maybe even the Syndicate-Civilization-Mechwarrior-FUEL-Pacman hybrid.