Good Old Games Has Good New Sale

By John Walker on July 9th, 2010 at 12:59 pm.

This webiste. £400,000,000.

Everyone loves a giant sale. How else are you supposed to get your giants cheap?! Ahahaha! Oh, that was good. Hey, remember that time I did the giant sale joke?

In other news, Good Old Games is having a great offer this weekend. There’s a 50% discount on the Rebellion pack, which’ll give you (deep breath) Evil Genius, Empire Earth Gold, Empire Earth 2 Gold, Empire Earth 3, Ground Control + its expansion, Ground Control 2: Operation Exodus, Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death, Lords of Magic Special Edition, Lords of the Realm Royal Edition, Lords of the Realm 3, and Republic: The Revolution, all for $40.89.

If you already bought any of the games in that collection, you’ll still get 50% off the rest of them if you complete the pack, or 30% off only some of them. This continues until Tuesday morning, and seems a decent way to get a big pile of interesting games.

, , .

1. Brumisator says:

I’m nitpicking, but I find it funny that GoG is so set on the past that it advertises compatibility with XP and Vista…but not 7

2. toni says:

because they cannnot guarantee it yet and work on it in the background.

3. -Spooky- says:

Don´t miss the “old” Ground Control, when you like World in Conflict ;)

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I bought World in Conflict, and I tried to like it.
      But I can’t
      It’s just too distanced for me .. I ugh think..
      I’m not sure what it is, maybe I’m too old school and like the base building (RA2 Anyone?)
      I did like CoH and DoW1 and to a lesser extent DoW2

• Shagittarius says:

World in Conflict was the only RTS worth playing in the last few years. Terrific game in a genre that has grown completely redundant and stale.

• subedii says:

Well there’s always the upcoming Starcraft 2. And personally I’d recommend Supreme Commander 2. Not as big on the base building as it used to be admittedly, but that’s largely because they streamlined it down to what works and tried to cut down on the redundancy.

4. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Sorry GoG, Valve took all my money already. :(

/plus I’m still working on BG&E from you among a billion other games

5. Frank says:

I don’t think that’s a good sale, but I appreciate RPS being even-handed and not just mentioning the (much better) sales on Steam.

• Red Avatar says:

I disagree. Lord of the Realms 1&2 are still huge fun because there’s nothing else like it out there. Evil Genius: same. Brilliant game. Ground Control is still quite fun and an underrated classic. Empire Earth 1&2 are both fun too. I didn’t buy a single game during the Steam sales yet this pack is a lot more appealing to me.

• Nick says:

Never played 2, but Lords of the Realm is a great little game.

oceanclub says:

You learn great things from Wikipedia:

“Music from Lords of the Realm 2 has been used in a propaganda video by the Palestinian group Hamas.”

P.

• Jimbo says:

Lords of the Realm was incredible – one of the formative games for me. I haven’t played it for a while, but I reckon it would still stand up today.

This pack is still overpriced by at least 50%.

6. Fumarole says:

For those who loved Lords of the Realm 1 & 2 but are curious about 3, avoid it like the plague.

7. Heliocentric says:

You linked this, but not the steam sale? Seriously.

• Ian says:

Kieron wins! FLAWLESS VICTORY!

• Heliocentric says:

Not so much. A whole mess of really rather great daily deals came and went before the sale even got a post. But this whole pack which costs more than i spent the whole steam sale and contains less games than i was able to hand pick. Where this pack is restricted to all of nothing to get the real discount.

I guess i just don’t consider this that notable.

• DollarOfReactivity says:

@Ian,
      Ah, why don’t more games have a narrator that swears at me when I adjust graphical settings? :)

• subedii says:

That’s kind of the point though. The Steam sale didn’t need any advertising, everyone already knew about it.

Some things are so big that realistically, you don’t need to publish about them. There’s only so many posts in a day that RPS can reasonably have. Between Steam sales and TF2 (and other) game updates, if RPS reported on them all then half of any week would probably be dedicated to Valve, since they’re arguably the biggest hype generators on the PC.

• Kieron Gillen says:

It’s a shame actually – we had some fairly cute ideas for features to tie into the sale, but the fact the deals changes so radically every day made it almost impossible to do interesting editorial about it.

(i.e. if you spend effort on it, it’s a story which is pointless in less than 24 hours.)

EDIT: Of course, we also posted a link to a site which did exactly what you asked too, Helio.

KG

• JonFitt says:

The didimatic.com link was much more useful than any post would be. It’s just a pity I only found out about it after the first few days of the sale.

The only thing that might have had some value would be perhaps a post after the sale saying how spectacularly good it had been, saying what games you bought, and encouraging comments on the same.

• Heliocentric says:

Its not that i think steam needed a post, its more that i think this doesn’t :)

• subedii says:

Kieron, I am thoroughly appalled with your post.

How is it that YOU get access to an edit function? Are you holding out on us? Lording over your ability to change your spelling mistakes on a simple whim?

• Nick says:

Well Helio, thankfully you don’t have editorial control of RPS.

8. Ian says:

Evil Genius was one of those weird games where I adored it until the instant when it occurred to me I was actually bored. Lovelovelovelove-ohwait I’m kinda sick of it now.

Anyone else get those?

• Heliocentric says:

Its because you needed to babysit the ai to target threats. Compare this to say dungeon keeper where your units were highly self managing

• DollarOfReactivity says:

@Ian,
      Yeah, and the example that pops to mind is Evil Genius. Got it cheap on Steam and was excitedly playing through until I reached that point like hitting a wall.

• JonFitt says:

I just found that I was spending so much time micro-ing my troops to try and keep those pesky spies out (all the defences seemed to do was delay the inevitable), that I rarely got to do any base building.

• Ian says:

I think I was perhaps coming at that problem from the other side, not worrying about intense micro-management (because, y’know, it’s the suck) and base-building and hating that trusting friendly AI meant I got skullfucked. :-P

Glad it wasn’t just me!

• MWoody says:

I think what got me was the combination of not being able to un-dig a wall and not knowing what you would research next. So you’d try to plan a base, then a few minutes later, you’d discover that some new trap would invalidate all that work.

Don’t get me wrong; I loved the research system. It just didn’t jive well with the no-takebacks nature of the build engine. Even DF lets you build walls where you’ve mined out an area, and when DF is more forgiving than your game, you have an issue.

9. Carra says:

Well, I’ve already bought most of the games from that list through their site.

Thanks to their system I can still get a discount for the other games. Not like steam where you’re just screwed if you already own a few games of the bundle.

10. manintheshack says:

@Ian:
    Freedom Force: Although it happened over a very short time period. I really want to love those games but as hard as I try it doesn’t happen…

Also, Boiling Point. Loved the setup and the atmosphere. And then the combat happened.

Oh, also, also, also, also, Black & White 2! It’s a mood-specific game. Once you’re out of that particular mood there’s no going back to it.

• Heliocentric says:

After finally finishing b&w2 (you get sent back to the start) i got to building a tower of babel with the unlimited stones on the first level where you get attacked (which i handled by having a hole in my wall filled with archers and obstacles). I made it maybe 100 floors tall then saved, threw stones at it and quit.

• Heliocentric says:

On boiling point, if you want to really enjoy it avoid the story and just drive around until your car breaks down and then steal a car and have the owner (probably an old lady) pull a grenade on you, throw it at her feet, blow herself up and enrage the whole town.

• Vague-rant says:

Ah Black and White 2, the only game I ever pre-ordered. Needless to say I haven’t pre-ordered any other games.

Not so much a game that needed a mood so much as a game that, once you’d built a few towns/ the exact same town in a different level, offered nothing new save the too rare side missions.

• Tei says:

* adds builing point to his list of awesome things to play *

11. DrGonzo says:

No. I used to like RA2 etc but after CoH, Supreme Commander and DoW2 I don’t think I could ever go back. I didn’t like World in Conflict either but I don’t think it was because it lacked bases.

12. Vinraith says:

An honest question: Speaking as someone that’s never played any of the games mentioned, and who consequently passed right over this when he saw it up on GOG this morning, what makes a sale on these particular games worth my while?

• pipman300 says:

crippling nostalgia

• Carra says:

Ground Control 2 is a very good strategy game.

But the real gem in there is Evil Genius. It’s a game everyone should have tried out. Foltering James Bond in a cooking mixer is too much fun to pass.

• subedii says:

I played Ground Control 1 years ago when it was first released. Got kind of bored with it since the gameplay seemed to be “move forward, shell area, move forward, shell area.”

Granted back then I didn’t really understand strategy in RTS’s too well. But things like air units seemed a bit pointless since you couldn’t repair them. So you’d have to eliminate all AA in an area before you could use them. But then you may as well take out everything else whilst you’re there.

I guess what I’m asking is, is Ground Control 2 better than GC1 in those regards? And how does it compare to something like World in Conflict?

• Fumarole says:

Give Lords of the Realm a chance. The first two, that is; skip the third. Think of them as Total War before CA. I like them so much I bought them from GOG even though I still have my perfectly functional CDs.

• TenjouUtena says:

Basically this post is just Evil Genius++.

It’s like modern Dungeon Keeper. Dungeon Keeper is great, but it hasn’t aged especially well. Also, maybe you want to have a light Dwarf Fortress experience without a horrible horrible User Interface.

I really wish people would make more of these indirect control type of games.

13. Seth says:

Ground Control and Ground Control 2 are some of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

Two especially.

14. jonfitt says:

Oh, Rebellion bought Elixir’s stuff. I was going to say, that doesn’t look like a Rebellion back catalogue.

In fact… looking more closelier apart from Dredd, none of those games were made by Rebellion, they just own the rights now.
    Given that the other notable Rebellion games, AvP and Rogue Trooper are not on that list, it’s not exactly a Rebellion pack!

Still. Good games.

15. LewieP says:

The coverage of the Steam sale here would have been a lot better if Valve hadn’t have purposefully timed it when I was away at Glastonbury.

16. Travis says:

I think they’d have to pay me $40.89 to play Republic: The Revolution again.

17. wererogue says:

I need an option on these services to mark a game as owned separately (or, ideally not interested) and still get the offer as if I owned it through the service.

/me goes back to his cloud castle.

18. Zerotonine says:

Some of that stuff sounds interesting, but there’s pain whenever I think about Republic.

But! I just saw that GOG just released Independence War 2! What a game, nothing like a little space piracy to get the juices flowing. The inertial flight model takes some getting used to, but nowhere near as hard as Frontier. I would strongly recommend the use of a joystick. There’s a relatively good Logitech one out there with a Hat, throttle and a twist for rolling which will be perfect, but you can go nuts with a CH or Saitek setup I guess, but I wouldn’t buy one of those for one game, chances are you already have them :).

19. TooNu says:

I bought Master of Magic and it works fine on my PC, windows XP. I just adjusted the graphics and bingo-bango it worked. Great old game :) brings back memories of wasted Saturdays.

20. Sunjammer says:

Republic is like going to the dentist, only it takes 2 days and is painful AND boring. What a trainwreck of a game. Part of me wants to go over and punch the entirety of Elixir in the face for having such great ideas and never coming remotely close to executing.

IWAR2 is the best game ever made by anyone.