Liked It? Should Have Brought A Flag To It

By Kieron Gillen on July 10th, 2010 at 2:00 pm.

This is basically what RPS are like when we hit the dancefloor. I'm not even joking.

Catching up with the last few day’s Internet and I wonder how on earth I missed the wonderful dancing TF2 characters videos by Professional Animator James Benson which PC Gamer posted on Thursday. Because I’m drunk, 24-7, that’s why. God knows what Walker’s excuse is (Answer: He Is A Bad Healer). Anyway, better late than never, as Delightful Fiancée put it after the last pregnancy scare. I want you to all stand up while watching these, so you’re ready to give a standing ovation. And…

STANDING OVATION GO!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AndrewC says:

Ooo, press play on all of them with a couple seconds of delay between each. Fun!

2. Handsome Dead says:

Sorry, isn’t nearly as good as the troll dance.

Still pretty good though.

• Zogtee says:

Oh please, that was fantastic. Valve should hire this guy right away.

• Wulf says:

@HD

I’m short-sighed and I say you need your eyes checked, or perhaps your brain.

That was brilliant!

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

C’mon, get the mob out of here and be nice on people with different opinions.
      Srsly, majority is not an excuse, period. We, over at the ethics branch of philosophy, laugh at “the truth of majority”, it’s one of the biggest jokes of all*

If you want to be consistent with your other claims, you should aknowledge that how other people get bored shouldn’t be this relevant to anyone either.

——–
      *Some of the others are:
      Christianity and how Jesus doesn’t quite fit in the picture..
      Hegel and his oh my spiral keep cumming… let’s kick in another Triad and stuff
      Kant – an empty categoric imperative…man, what he was thinking!
      Big binary and absolute dichotomies like Good and Evil, West and East, Us and Them…thank God for postmodernism

• Zogtee says:

@ Frankie The Patrician.

I have no idea what you just said. Something about Jesus and Kant playing TF2. I don’t know.

• Dr. Derek Doctors, DFA says:

@Frankie — Hold on now. When you fuck with Hegel, you fuck with me.

Me and the weltgeist, actually. And if there’s one thing that the Phenomenology teaches us, it’s that you don’t fuck with the world-spirit, the world-spirit fucks with you.

• Berzee says:

Can I say some stuff I know too? I used to watch this T.V. show with these two guys whose last name was Kratt, and they talked about animals. They added a Lemur Puppet to the show, and changed its name, whereupon it jumped the shark. That’s one thing I know.*

—–
      * Others are:
      – peeling a grapefruit and eating like an orange is pretty challenging, but rewarding
      – I’m standing on one foot
      – how to make shiny buttons on the internet
      – how to be invisible
      – some maths
      – the Irish word for butterfly

• Berzee says:

Also — “be nice to people with different opinions” doesn’t really belong in the same post as a sort of world-blanketing mockery and pronouncement of various thoughts as “the biggest joke ever”. I like the latter better than the former, because it’s more honest and less froofy of you. But they don’t mix very well.

3. DMcCool says:

Ew. Could do with, well, any other soundtrack. Time to experiment…

4. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Brilliant! He has some more nice videos on that account. Like the Rock, Paper, Shotgun animation (That was posted here too, right?)

5. Vivian says:

Press play on each one second after the other for MAXIMUM DANCE

6. Baka says:

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

7. Spliter says:

Hah!
    I’ve seen this guy quite a few weeks ago, the guy’s an animation genious I hope he gets hired for valve and makes the dance a new end of the round taunt.

8. Metalfish says:

Brilliant, of course. But they’re way too fluid and slick to be something that you’d see in game or in the meet the team vids. No slight on Valve’s technique; they just have more deliberateness and heft to them in TF2 than in these fun little vids.

9. rebb says:

I’m probably just weird, but the whole TF2 fandom has grown in a way that it now just seems very odd and forced.

A bit like furries with less fur and more wrench.

Oh well, to each his own.

• Spinoza says:

this. its starting to put me off playing. very odd. sadface

• Psychopomp says:

TF2 is far too memetic for it to not grow this way.

• Bloodloss says:

@Rebb You’re right, you’re just weird. People find it amusing watching the characters they play all the time do silly dances, that’s all. You’re looking too deeply into it and shouldn’t let such a harmless thing put you off playing.Comparing it to furries is just insulting.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

@Bloodloss:
      Guess We Are Not The People, (err…Feeder got under my skin after several years, yes), then.

Insulting? C’mon, get a grip, it’s only a game, not a religion (and even then I’d tell you to get a grip, ahem :))

• Wulf says:

Some people just can’t stand watching others being creative, having fun, and enjoying themselves. To the point, in fact, where they can get neurotic and hateful because they feel they’re incapable of doing the same.

And yes, this applies to both furries, the TF2 scene, and just about anything where people have fun and are more creative than the average person.

TF2 hasn’t built up quite the level of widespread schizophrenia that furry has yet, though. For example: The reaction to a trailer to an upcoming film – Alpha and Omega – in a number of corners of the Internet was rather ridiculous. “The furries are winning, they’re going to rape our children!”

How about… less psychosis, more fun? Stop fretting over people having fun, and have a little fun yourself. You won’t regret it. You’ll probably feel healthier for it.

• Wulf says:

Well, incapable isn’t the best word for it, really. Anyone’s capable of having fun. It’s just that some people get so caught up fretting about the fun of others, and learning new and interesting ways to be angry with and irritated at them for it that they forget how to have fun themselves.

They get caught in this bizarre fun-must-be-destroyed rut. Instead, they should just find out what’s fun and entertaining for them and… well, do it! How other people have fun shouldn’t be this relevant to anyone.

• Spinoza says:

oh do not be so harsh on us misanthropes , Wulf , as, in some twisted way ,we have our fun too
      even if that require sniffing a huge amounts of glue

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Mmm…glue..

10. nk says:

Well I’m standing, and now I’m definitely ovationing. And then some.

11. Poltergeist says:

Pyro is the best.

12. Fumarole says:

Spy as Michael jack son was fantastic.

13. Unaco says:

Hmmm… I’m meant to be going out for drinking, debauchery and dancing tonight. I think I’ve found me some new moves. Now I just need to find a club that plays non-stop C&C Music Factory… so that’ll be an early 90′s German gay bar.

14. James Benson says:

Hey everyone, really glad to see people enjoying these, even though they’re work in progress shots!

Few things:

It’s the same song b/c these will all be dancing together in a final video.

Kieron, I saw you at the one life left christmas party, but I was too scared to say hello.

Oh, and I’m the guy who made the 1st peson rock paper shotgun animation that was also posted on here! Potentially, you should make me the official RPS animator.

PEACE

15. Heliocentric says:

Ova-tion egg/pregnancy pun opportunity missed. You are slipping KG.

16. Andy says:

“so you’re ready to give a standing ovulation”

I am dissapointed it did not say this

17. Web Cole says:

Pyro seems the smoothest at this point, but for WIPs these are still freakin’ awesome :D

18. bleeters says:

Hah, these are amazing, to the point where I want them as hugely impractical in-game taunts.

(Impractical because taunting leaves you incapable of defending yourself until the animation ends)

19. Steve says:

now since the demoman is drunk most of the time i’m surprised that he can do a backflip

20. Llama says:

I wish someone would create a Thriller video with the L4D characters

21. N3gentropy says:

THE SPY IS A MICHAEL JACKSON PEDOPHILE!

22. Sagan says:

I would like to see the heavy dancing the woman part.

Also: can you freely exchange the animations between the characters? I would like to see everyone do the Beyonce. Or maybe just the soldier, but then he should also be singing Single Ladies.

23. Pyrex says:

Who else thinks the Heavy+Medic was the scariest one of those besides the spy?

24. DMJ says:

I love the way that the Medic flops a little as he is manhandled by the stronger, heavier Heavy but still bounces back into the dance. Animating one character well is a challenge, plausible interaction is the real fun.

25. Lt.Unreal says:

give that man a golden wrench

26. Player2 says:

Sheer, and utter brilliance.

27. Player8 says:

Sniper = WIN

28. Mad Doc MacRae says:

It’s… beautiful.

29. Lord Byte says:

The pyro dance was also the most feminin dance of the bunch, I’m guessing this is deliberate :)

Srsly those rumours are gonna end up as : “Lady Gaga is Pyro!”

• Howl says:

It’s the Beyonce ‘single ladies’ dance, to C+C Music Factory… which doesn’t work but I guess he was limited by copyrights. Great animation though.

30. Antlerbot says:

end of heavymedic makes eyes burn

31. trigger190 says:

Actually, speaking of furries, a whole lot of people from the furry community seems to be active in Team Fortress 2, no idea why though.. :|

32. Wulf says:

*cheer!*

Can we have more of that, please? The Internet could always use more of this kind of thing.

33. DXN says:

Scarexiest, you say?

34. piphil says:

Loving the heavy/medic animation. The “lift” portion of the sequence could be repeated in a later segment but with the lifter role swapped – followed maybe by crushing/bad back animation for the poor medic. :-P

35. GHudston says:

The Heavy/Medic one was slightly disturbing… I LOVE IT!

36. WTF says:

Speaking as a career medic I would pay good money for that Heavy/Medic dance as a joint taunt.

Seriously.

37. Paul B says:

That Sniper dance reminded me.. I really should watch Napoleon Dynamite again (it’s a good movie) :)

38. Jacques says:

This made my day, thank you

39. Kit says:

Ooh, very nice. Me likes. Can’t wait for the finished scene.

40. Rufust Firefly says:

Danceoff could easily replace sudden death mode and would be a lot more entertaining. (Particularly now since a lot of teams are engineer-heavy and it turns into a turtle stalemate.)

There’s that new Misc slot in character setup now– hopefully it’s intended for tap shoes for extra crits while dancing.

41. Zane says:

What the &*(& Copy the blood elf / napolean dynamite dance on the sniper! Wow fail valve, another fail.

• DeepSleeper says:

…Valve? This is an independent animator, acting outside Valve. Working on his own.

I believe the “fail” belongs to you, my friend.

42. Dr. WellLearned says:

Valve must satisfy our dire need for a “Westside Stories” map with these dance being the only things capable of doing.

43. Archiebald says:

Not sure if you’ve seen the elusive spy-der crab :p

44. Jayt says:

Sniper as Napoleon Dynamite was a nice choice.

45. Sugar says:

Very Awesome, and so nicely done! I love em!
    Are you planning to do all of the classes?
    I’d be looking forward to seeing the scout and engineer ones! :3

46. Infinite Fruit says:

WOOT! That is BAD ASS!!! I don’t care if it’s not original; the dancing fits them awesomely. XD I can’t wait to see the finished stuff! :D

47. NoobHero says:

these videos are excellent (except the end of the medic heavy pair. that was scary) anyway i think i would love to see scout with vanilla ice dance moves. seems more like him. hope you can make that a reality XD

48. steel says:

im not a crazed man dad, im an assasin!

49. kutkh says:

In an awesome parallel universe, someone just made a series of shooting animations for a popular online team-based dance game.

Comment on this story