The Bargain Bucket: Letting Off Steam

By Lewie Procter on July 10th, 2010 at 12:24 pm.

In the wake of the massive Steam sale that was, things may be bit quieter this week, but I’ve still managed to find several interesting discounts on worthwhile games. Strike that, reverse it. For a constantly updated guide to all that is cheap in the world of gaming, hit up SavyGamer.co.uk. Read on to delve head first into this week’s Bargain Bucket.

Rebellion super duper pack – £27.13/€32.34/$40.89
OK, I added the “super duper” to the title, it seemed fitting. This bundle comes with:
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Empire Earth 2: Gold Edition
Empire Earth 3
Evil Genius
Ground Control + Expansion
Ground Control 2: Operation Exodus [Special Edition]
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Lords of Magic [Special Edition]
Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition
Lords of the Realm 3
Republic: The Revolution
This offer is a saving of 50%, and if you already own some games from this bundle, you can still get 50% off the rest of the bundle. You can also buy each game individually at 30% off.

Plain Sight – £3.95/€4.50/$4.95
Sadly there’s still no demo available for this. The game’s official web site says “A demo of Plain Sight will be available sometime after the launch”, but I guess it is not sometime after launch enough just yet. The game itself is great fun. It’s a fast paced multiplayer death match that is one part Unreal Tournament, one part Mario Galaxy and one part original ideas. The biggest let down about it for me was the lack of any worthwhile single player. With that fantastic control scheme, animation and physics, Plain Sight has most of the right ingredients of an excellent platformer, maybe along the lines of N 3D. Wot Kieron thinks is contained on this internet web page.

Footballing Manager 2010 – £9.99/€9.99/$14.99
This is an RTS with heavy RPG elements, where you have to tell your little dots to score the most goals, so that they can become the goal king. There are hundreds of thousands of different units, each with very slightly different stats, which effect their performance in combat. There is a little bit of resource management, you have to pay salaries for all your troops. The base building has a bit of a unique design to it. You battle in a big arena, where members of the public pay to watch, so to earn the most money you have to increase you arena’s capacity by hiring construction staff. Everything is hidden under layers and layers of spreadsheets, which does make you feel a little disconnect from the action, but there is a solid strategy game to be found here.

Deal of the week
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter – £8.99/€9.99/$9.99
This is also available as a 4 pack, which brings the cost down to £6.75/€7.48/$7.48 each. There was a bit of a screw up here. To coincide with this discount, there is also a free weekend going on. At first it was just restricted multiplayer, not even the mental 16 player coop. Apparently there was a miscommunication between Croteam and their marketing team. To rectify, the entire game is free to play this weekend. The multiplayer, the coop, and the single player in their entirety are free to play, from beginning to end, until Sunday night (Valve time). If you’re not busy, you could feasibly play the game to completion in that time. RPS coverage here.

Also of note:
Grappling Hook – £5.96/€7.09/$8.97
GEOM – £6.63/€7.89/$9.98
Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404: Venice – £7.48/€14.98/$9.98

Remember to direct your web browser to SavyGamer.co.uk to find all the cheap games in the world.

1. BooleanBob says:

Footballing Manager sounds like a bit of a Blood Bowl rip-off to be honest. Doubt it’ll catch on.

• LewieP says:

Beleive it or not, but it’s actually a spin off from a series of pong clones.

• Brulleks says:

From what I hear you don’t even get to control the players though. Completely dumbed-down.

• Drexer says:

It’s insistence in such a small number of units though, really retracts from tis strategy potential. I always feel like I’m playing a diluted version of a game for dumbed down audiences.

• Jockie says:

Despite the dripping sarcasm here and the irony of Lewis’ original post, Football manager is basically a football enthusiasts dream RPG. It’s perfection in the form of a barely comprehensible spreadsheet and no other game series other than Civ has ever held a candle to it for me.

2. radomaj says:

A sale of 1C Games on GamersGate.com. Finally, a discount on Men of War.

• LewieP says:

You’re joking right? Men of War has been discount so many times.

• Sam says:

Did you miss the Steam Summer Sale?

Maybe you don’t have Steam, you can get it here: http://store.steampowered.com/

• Javier-de-Ass says:

steam version of men of war.. come on.

the 1C discounts on gamersgate now are fucking awesome. probably half of those 1C games aren’t even on steam.

• Mac says:

It was around £3 on Steam …

• malkav11 says:

The vast majority of the 1C games that anyone has ever heard of are on Steam and were just as cheap or cheaper. Still, if you missed the Steam sale, here’s your chance.

• DrGonzo says:

Everyone has to get Faces of War for 98p. If you can get someone to play co op with its amazing fun. For some reason I much preferred it to Men of War even though I know it isn’t technically the best game.

• Matzerath says:

Fantasy Wars on the very cheap in this sale. Also, Delve Deeper is available on GG, and I declare it: FUN.

3. Sam says:

SSHD:2 was on offer on the summer sale for £5.50 and it was a bundle that also included the first one.

A Rebellion pack without AvP is fail.

4. apsa says:

Who want’s the latest AvP? It’s fail. Fail fail fail.

5. Jimbo says:

Are the Star Wolves games any good?

• Javier-de-Ass says:

• Vinraith says:

I’ve been curious about these as well. To those in the know: are they one of those series’ where you’re better off playing the most recent one, or should one start at the beginning?

• Qeyleb says:

Star Wolves … I haven’t played 3 yet, but the story in the first two wasn’t very important. There’s pirates, and aliens, and governments/megacorps doing shady things.

The voice acting is cringe worthy and not the same actors in each game, but the gameplay is fun (as long as you’re not a perfectionist). There are a few bits which take a few retries and can be frustrating.

I think my favorite feature is the camera controls… just like Homeworld. Felt like putting on an old familiar glove, if that’s the right saying.

6. Heliocentric says:

Bit of a crap week. Faces of war 98p on http://www.gamersgate.co.uk its like men of war:the early years, i love those guys.

7. Tobias says:

Valve time?

8. kenoxite says:

The THQ games have a 75% discount in Direct 2 Drive, at least here in Europe. Check: http://www.direct2drive.eu/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=thq

Among other gems, there’s S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for only 2,50€

• The Innocent says:

Are D2D games moddable? I’m sure I should know this, but can somebody tell me?

• kenoxite says:

Yep, unless a mod requires some change to the exe, like Oblivion. But for all the rest mods should work without problems AFAIK.

• The Innocent says:

Sweet, thanks. I have the original Stalker retail, but I’ve been waiting for a cheap digital version, so long as it can be modded.

9. Veracity says:

Outrun 2006 is £2.47 on gamersgate (UK, possibly also discounted elsewhere). Granted, I don’t think it’s more than a fiver anywhere by now, but that’s still extra cheap, probably beating even online retail. If you don’t love it, you hate fun. Online is long since dead, mind (as in switched off, not just in the sense no one’s playing it). It did have LAN, so it might work over hamachi.

10. Nikolaj says:

Does anybody know if Football Manager uses real teams and players, or if they didn’t bother to acquire the rights? It’s kind of a deal-breaker for me if they didn’t.

• LewieP says:

I’m fairly certain that they use almost 100% real names, but I am far from certain.

If it’s not real names, it’s probably “Brian Griggs” and “Derek Kentonar”

• LewieP says:

That is a horrible sentence.

Imagine I said “not entirely sure.”

Football breaks my words.

• Duffin says:

It has all real players, there are generated players however that come through the youth teams so you can continue your game for several seasons. The English premiership has no player photo’s though, some of the other leagues do like La Liga and Serie A. You can download a facepack to change this though its fairly straightfoward.

• Nikolaj says:

Thanks a lot guys. That’s what I wanted to hear.

11. Duffin says:

Sorry that was really poor English ^

12. Pijama says:

But surely, footballing manager 2010 is a rather famous series, isn’t it? I hear that it is the most played game in Europe and South America… =D

13. DrGonzo says:

What do people think to the new UFO series? I really crave a top down turn based shooter, but I’m not sure it’s for me.

What I really, really want is Space Hulk on PC. With shiny graphics and online play.

• jalf says:

You mean Aftermath/-shock/light?

It’s good fun. Aftermath wasn’t very good if you ask me, and I haven’t played Aftershock, but I’ve heard it’s good.

I loved Afterlight though. I love that it’s *not* just an X-COM clone. It’s obviously inspired by X-COM, but it dares make its own decisions and be its own game as well. Cool setting, nice stylish graphics, much more complex campaign metagame, with diplomacy, trading and territory control.

But please, don’t call it a “shooter”. Yes, you have little guys walking around shooting guns, but that’s true for 95% of all games. It’s a strategy game, not a shooter.

I never played Space Hulk, so can’t really compare.

• DrGonzo says:

Genre Nazi! But seriously yeah I don’t know why I described it like that. I blame the weather being far too hot!

Anyway, thanks for the info, it definitely sounds like its worth a try for 3 quid then.

• jalf says:

Maybe I’m missing something terribly obvious, but where are they on sale?

• Vinraith says:

@jalf

Gamersgate.

• jalf says:

Ah, thanks. Just ordered Aftershock. :)

14. geldonyetich says:

I’m waiting for somebody to drop the price of Alpha Protocol into “fun lark” territory. I see savygamer.co.uk has a number of offers for about 13-15 pounds, but it seems I can’t get it for less than $37.90 U.S.

15. Lucas says:

I also have a friend who preferred Faces of War to its sequel. He seemed to have trouble with the MoW interface and controls. We had tons of fun with Faces though.

16. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Cryostasis for 3 euros..is it worthy this price? I kind of liked the gameplay videos (i lol’d hard when I saw the reminescence scene of a cow..) and heard it’s not that hard (which is a plus…). My only concern is if a Intel 2.0GHz dual-core, 2GB RAM and a 9600GT 512 will be enough for it…

• malkav11 says:

It’s worth a lot more than that, but you may as well get it at that price.

17. Whiskey Jak says:

Maybe it’s just me but King’s Bounty The Legend at $2.48 isn’t a bad deal at all on gamersgate.com

• DrGonzo says:

I bought it for a bit more than that on Steam. Really enjoying it so far. But I get frustrated having to walk all the way to refill my troops.

18. Kommissar Nicko says:

If you bought Anno 1404 on Impulse, can you somehow apply the GamersGate key for Venice on top of it? Not exactly keen on trying after buying, especially since Anno 1404 is not my favorite game in the world.

19. NPC says:

Does anyone know if D2D’s “Plain Sight” is compatible with Steam’s and general? Or it is limited to servers of that specific version? Not sure how many people will be playing it some time down the road, so best to buy it on the most popular platform…

• NPC says:

Ah, on Plain Site forums somebody says that the servers are the same for all sellers. Which is a good thing. Though some people there also complain that the servers are always empty. Which is a bad thing :(