The Official RPS TF2 Server

By Jim Rossignol on July 10th, 2010 at 9:13 am.

The splendid chaps over at Multiplaywho do UK-based servers for all kinds of games – have been kind enough to provide us with an official RPS server for the purposes of The Engineer Update. The IP is 85.236.100.107:27315. And if I am right this will auto-launch from Steam: steam://connect/85.236.100.107:27315

Go shoot people.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Metal_Circus says:

Ooooh, subtle ad in the opening line there. Nice.

Still, I love you RPS <3

2. Dave says:

“for the purposes of The Engineer Update” – So its only temporary? I demand clarification!

3. qx says:

What is the map rotation? Can we vote on maps? Are there crits? Etc. :-)

• dartt says:

The map rotation is quite small at the moment, dustbowl, granary and redfort. More maps will probably be added soon.

No plugins are installed as of yet so there is no map voting.

The server is set up with default settings, so there are crits and normal respawn times.

• TimA says:

Some of the round limits need a tweak, I think. For example Dustbowl only allowed us one round (didn’t switch attackers/defenders) which was a bit annoying.

Thanks for the server, great fun, I’ll be playing more later.

4. Paul says:

“Go shoot people.” In-game you mean and not in North Cumbria.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Just…go shoot people! Reduce them to bloody, awful bits, make their blood splash on your sentry…and in the game!

• CTA says:

ARGH. TOO SOON.

5. Hunky says:

I’m going to check it out, but i don’t think it will be as good as 5e servers

6. Hunky says:

I have to wait ~~ full server :C

7. HexagonalBolts says:

Full :( Aw man.

8. The Army of None says:

And so RPS’ invasion into the ‘real’ videogame world begins. First, steam feeds, now this…. next, Kieron following me around commenting on how much everything is like Deus Ex or Thief?

9. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

And previously, many bands of RPS members joining many different games….

10. TimA says:

Awesome. I’m [Ci] Tim, see you on there (if I ever get on).

11. Code Monkey says:

You’ve gone up in the world RPS, this post has appeared in TF2′s “Recent News” Feed!

• bill says:

so it’s probably full of people who don’t read RPS then…

12. Drexer says:

I started TF2 to play with you guys and my sound card started going into the fritz. I solved it.

I started TF2 once more and my headset broke in my hands…

What conspiracy is this?

13. Roadrunnerr says:

Excellent. I would play if I could play TF2. Previously I’ve had to rely on the PCG server. …and according to gametracker stats, I’m well within the top 10 most time played over there. (If you combine all the multiple alias’ i’ve used.)

14. Petethegoat says:

I say, it appears to be full of people who can’t comprehend it’s importance.

15. jsutcliffe says:

Well all righty then. All I need to do is get my computer working again and I’ll have a whole new crowd of people to get slaughtered by. Good times!

I’ll see you on the server — name of Jams O’Donnell.

16. SuperNashwan says:

I look forward to rounds ending with choruses of “What a shame”

17. Greg Wild says:

Amusingly, this post is up on the TF2 Steam News feed.

We’ve had loads of people asking what’s so special about this server, and what on earth is RPS.

18. Bloodloss says:

Ah, good. I was waiting for this to come back. Let’s hope it’s permanent this time! I’ll be sure to hop on later.

19. Jon says:

I haven’t played in a long long time, I expect to be terrible.

20. GamerOfFreedom says:

Awesome see you people in there

21. lord-le fork says:

woot de fork is dis???

22. Blandford says:

For some kind of a reason I’m always getting “Server is not responding”.
    Is there any way to validate that the server is online?

23. Sam says:

Not working for me when i use “connect 85.236.100.107:27315″.

24. Drexer says:

Yeah, the server seems to have gone down.

Well, that was quick.

Waiting for a appropriate response to this. Something along the lines of ‘That’s what…’

25. Hubba says:

Raoul Moat will be there: Go shoot people.

26. Skusey says:

Time to revive Rock Paper Shooting then?

27. AndrewC says:

What’s with the crummy Moat references? If you are going to be a dick, make sure you are a funny one.

28. Unaco says:

Awesome… Will check this out in a few hours, sometime later this afternoon. I go through patches of TF2, play it for a few hours a day for a week or so, then drop it… Having one of those patches just now, which is a little unfortunate, because all the games I join are full of Engineers… 12v12 and it’s 6v6 Engineers.

• DrGonzo says:

Everyone goes engineer, so pick Spy, Demo or Soldier. I’ve got back into the game recently and since the patch I have been gettin insanely high scores as a Soldier while everyone plays Engineer.

Plus I’m happy to play the other classes as I’ve only unlocked a couple of things for any of the characters, and to be honest I don’t really understand how to unlock things.

• Unaco says:

Yeah… seems to be when there’s an update, you’ll find servers with >40% of the people playing the updated class. The RPS server wasn’t too bad in the hour and a half I’ve just played… No more than 4 engies on a team of 12. Is about the limit I’d think, but was still enjoyable. I was in a 2Fort server yesterday though, and we had 7 or 8 engineers for a 15 man team… Our intelligence room was a deathtrap… but we only had 2 people attacking.

29. Mctittles says:

Don’t you know you need to fill your server name with more odd characters that appear first alphabetically then the next guy to show up top?

Anyway, sweet news! Glad to see another server on the list that doesn’t have instant respawn (which breaks levels most of the time anyway).

30. Cross says:

Normal respawn = Instant meh

• Bloodloss says:

I bet you have a problem with it not being a 32 man server too? It’s a shame so many servers are turned into instant respawn meat grinders.

31. Boldoran says:

Agreed, there are many good gameplay reasons for the respawn timers. For example it rewards an advancing team to capitialize their efforts if they manage to wipe out the entire front of their opponents. Also it encourages people to play more careful instead of throwing themself into the path of the next incoming rocket.

32. Mungrul says:

A bit odd having all the custom maps there, but jolly good fun. I even got called a n00b for an evilly placed sentry, so I’m happy :)

33. Fwiffo says:

Not even the RPS server is immune from stupid people telling you what to do. I’ve just been whinged at for “not playing engineer” because the blog post states “for the purposes of The Engineer Update” and someone took it a bit too literally. Wouldn’t complain normally, but they keep bringing the words “admin” and “ban” into it.

34. Stense says:

Yay. This is indeed a good thing. I look forward to being shot at by you fine people.

35. Skill/CJaZ says:

Can’t join, so I joined a different server that was up for the purposes of the Engineer Update. Everyone took it literally and called an admin on me when I started playing Spy. The admin just laughed and left.

36. Jon says:

Could you provide a download of the maps used on the server? For some reason it takes me what feels like forever to download a map if I join a server using a map I don’t already have.

37. ben says: