Develop 10: Developers Stuff Faces With Cake

By Kieron Gillen on July 14th, 2010 at 2:09 pm.

Hot news from the develop free delegate lunch. Of the two varieties of cake provided, the micro-chocolate cakes disappeared with unseemly haste into the ravenous maws of sugar-depleted developers. Their attention turned to micro-Pavlova, which were in turn devoured. At the time of writing, it’s impossible to ascertain whether this famine of micro-chocolate cakes is due to a difference in the supply of the two cakes, or whether there has been a fatal overestimation of the micro-Pavlovas amongst the games industry community on the part of the Develop Caterers.

, .

1. Novotny says:

Good work. Keep us informed.

2. robrob says:

So are you off anywhere today Keiron? Got any plans?

3. Jhoosier says:

Clearly, there’s a behavioral economics PhD thesis in there somewhere.

Also, what’s a Pavlova? I’m cake-ignorant.

JB says:

A meringue-based pile of loveliness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlova_(food)

• Jhoosier says:

Ah. I always called them, “those cookies my grandmother always made”. Nice to know they have a name.

And who says you don’t learn anything from gaming sites.

• Alexander Norris says:

I’m sorry, how could anyone prefer to chocolate to meringue?

What is wrong with the world today?

• bill says:

It’s named after a famous russian ballet dancer, if that helps… but cake-ignorant is a terrible situation to be in!

• Jhoosier says:

It’s a slow process, but I’m going to attempt to make a cheesecake this weekend. It’s either going to be delicious or end up with a call to the fire department.

AndrewC says:

Meringue is just empty froth and sugar that crumbles under the tiniest scrutiny and is ultimately unsatisfying. LIKE CONSOLE GAMES.

• Ian says:

@ Andrew C: That’s why you pile cream and strawberries onto it.

Also like console games.

AndrewC says:

And chocolate, the best of all the good things, which I shall call PC GAMES, you know – pure chocolate, 100% cocoa without any added sugar or milk or cream – is so bitter as to be inedible. IT MAKES YOU THINK.

• stahlwerk says:

If homeopathy actually worked, you could dissolve a crumb of meringue a thousand times and still use it to cure all kinds of toothaches.

It is that sweet!

JB says:

This is exactly the sort of thing I sub to RPS for. Keep toiling away at the coalface KG. ;)

5. Bascule42 says:

I bet it was Sion Lenton who at all the choccy ones. Nice.

6. Hodge says:

I can’t be the only one who read that as ‘faeces’.

7. PhiIl Cameron says:

I ate all the cake. I descended upon it, and then there was none.

8. Binni says:

Also…I had to wait 10-15 minutes for terrible “teryiaki” chicken skewers. What’s up with that?

Them chocolate thingies were a lot better then the pavlova’s btw!

9. Rich says:

Chocolate thingies are the satay chicken skewers of desserts. If you don’t get to the front of the initial food rush, you can forget about them.

10. Cooper says:

The obvious response to a pile of mini-Pavlovas and mini-choccie cakes is to take a chocolate one and sandwich it between two mini-Pavlovas.

But clearly the shortage of choccie cakes means no one at the Conference is capable of lateral cake-thinking

11. bill says:

I know it’s not PC, but did you go to this talk?

PS/ I really want mini pavlovas now…

• DrGonzo says:

Well two of those aren’t lol at all though. Monkey’s riding motorbikes is brilliant, and I really could see that game doing a LOT better if it was on Facebook rather than Ps3.

• Mo says:

Monkeys are nice, yes, but Joe Danger is charming. I haven’t played it (yet) but the boys at Hello Games worked on his character, as the dare-devil stuntman, and so on. Turning him into a monkey devalues all that. Joe Danger also goes back to the days where the lead character *was* the game (like Mario, Sonic, etc). Joe Danger has character. Monkey Stunt Bikers does not.

Putting it on Facebook… have you really thought this through? It might get more views/clicks on FB, but where’s the revenue model? Joe Danger took 2 years to develop. Joe Danger isn’t a simple flash game, it takes the idea and runs deep with it, both from a game mechanic and aesthetic point of view. In other words, a game of Joe Danger’s quality would not be financially viable on Facebook.

12. golden_worm says:

THERE IS NO CAKE

13. Psychopomp says:

/rps/ – cake

14. Collic says:

Haha thankyou Mr Gillen, that made me laugh

15. Miked says:

I love the graphic arrows you draw Kieron. I also love cake.

16. PiP says:

lol @ micro-pavlovas

17. Clovis says:

Is that picture at the top one of them Solerium Infernum maps or something?

18. DMJ says:

The micro-chocolate to micro-pavlova conversion rate is disappointingly low this quarter.

Perhaps they should consider a demo micro-pavlova to entice people in, like a nanopavlova.

19. Flakfizer says:

No wonder PC Zone mag had to die when it was up against in-depth, up to the minute reportage of this calibre.

20. The Dark One says:

I drool at the thought of micro-pavlova snacks.

Vandelay says:

We need pictures of said chocolate cake. If it was nothing but plain chocolate then I would be very disappointed for the lack of meringue munching. Chocolate cake on its own is a bit dull and probably isn’t even as nice as your standard Victoria sponge (I usually go for single chocolate muffins over double chocolate muffins, as another example.) But if it is heated chocolate cake with a dollop of ice cream or, better yet, chocolate cake covered in warm chocolate sauce with a dollop of ice cream than pavlova stood no chance.

I demand a RPS spin-off site ‘Rock, Paper, Confectionery’!

22. golden_worm says:

Cake, the new killer drug from prague.

23. Eli Just says:

aaaand this is why Kieron is my favorite member of RPS. Keep us updated!

24. TeeJay says: