No Hangover: Jagex Announce Stella Dawn

By Jim Rossignol on July 14th, 2010 at 8:50 pm.

It turns out that Jagex’s planned MechScape MMO wasn’t the follow up to RuneScape after all – in fact it got scrapped – and instead they are planning a sci-fi MMO called Stella Dawn. Not much in the way of details yet, but there’s some art and a beta sign up form over on the site. Eurogamer report that a “sizeable chunk” of the game will be free, and that it is Jagex’s most ambitious game ever. I guess we’ll get to see a lot more of that in the coming months. I’d like to see someone do a genuinely playable sci-fi MMO that wasn’t just spaceships, at least.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Peter says:

Actually they said that MechScape “isn’t fun”, scrapped everything but some concept art, and started over with the name Stellar Dawn. Any company this devout to making a good game gets my respect.

2. westyfield says:

Stella or Stellar? I am confused.

• JB says:

@westyfield, definitely Stellar. The other one would be a game about waking up very early and drinking some strong booze.

• Rinox says:

Stella is strong booze? Now, if we had been talking about Duvel Dawn…

• DrGonzo says:

My flatmate used to get free Duvel. You just can’t get rid of that stuff.

• Rinox says:

I think free Duvel would be the death of me. Delicious on the one hand, diabolical on the other. Most of the crazy drunken crap i’ve pulled in my lifetime was Duvel-fueled. :-/

3. Peter says:

Their website is http://stellardawn.com/

4. JB says:

Is it just me, or does the alien beasty in that picture look very….Tyranid-like?

5. PDF says:

It also resembles the colossi from starcraft 2.

6. Quasar says:

It also looks like your mum.

7. Psychopomp says:

if u drop a itm n pres alt f4 it wll dupe!!!

• BigJonno says:

Don’t even joke about that shit!

I used to work on the Jagex customer service team.

Seriously, you’ll give me flashbacks.

8. geldonyetich says:

Waaaay too early in development for me to find reason to care.

9. Tei says:

There are at least 2 decent “flyiing in a spaceship very low” mmorpg (fps) games. Free to play, korean, with grinding, all the enchilada. Since is flying, the grinding feels less like grinding. These games are good. (Sorry about not remenbering the names,… I have played a billion mmos by now..)

• geldonyetich says:

Ace Online is probably one of them. I’d be interested in hearing the other one. (Space Cowboy isn’t it, because it is Ace Online.)

• lePooch says:

I am guessing that the second “fly low and shoot things scifi style” game would be Air Rivals? This is their website. I remember playing it a while ago, and also remember it being ruthlessly grind-tastic, and completely unapologetic about it, ie. very Korean style. If I remember correctly, your level 20 faction mission required you to grind through roughly a THOUSAND of some random creature just to unlock your class ability.

After looking at both websites, they seem rather similar, right down to ‘two factions are fighting over this god-forsaken rock’ storylines.

I hope Stellar Dawn doesn’t go down the same route. Twitchy FPS-like fighter combat sims seem to be covered. Honestly, I would much rather play something like Planetside, with multiple types of arms coming together.

• Tei says:

Ace Online is one of the two. I remenber playing it and thinking “He.. here is a gameplay, that make the typical meaningless chores of a korean mmo like ‘kill 50 rats’ less boring”.
      I can easy imagine a westernized version of Ace Online to be a very good game, but I hope Stella is tryiing to be better than that.

10. Jannakar says:

Star Trek Online seems to be getting better. The on-planet stuff is a bit shonky sometimes, but it isn’t really that bad.

• TotalBiscuit says:

ST:O is a game of two halves. One of those is space combat, which runs smoothly, is visually impressive, sounds great and on harder difficulty levels, requires some tactics to win. It’s good fun. Ground combat on the other hand, is an atrocity of poor performance and boredom. It should be removed from the game entirely or completely redesigned. Ground combat is why I unsubbed from that game.

11. SuperChimpanzee says:

Mass Effect called, they want their logo back.

12. MrBRAD! says:

News Olds

13. Dinger says:

Stella costs a fiver, and the server’s always dawn?

14. faelnor says:

Awesome, another MMO game!!!!

15. Kieran Barenchi says:

The concept art is stunning! The great thing about Jagex’s MMOs is that they are always so unique.

If you’re looking for a Stellar Dawn Community, I would recommend checking out StellarStop. Really nice people, and they’re on top of all of the new information.