Atari Return To Haunted House

By Jim Rossignol on July 15th, 2010 at 10:21 am.

It should be amusing, I suppose, that Haunted House could be considered a licence worth digging up and remaking. A classic status for this game means it is, by the rules of the games industry, destined to be brought back with physics and 3D graphics. That’s what Atari are working on, of course, and the game is due to arrive at some point in the autumn. There’s a video below, which neatly contrasts the past with the present. (Also I love that the original box art had “Ghosts, Bats, Tarantulas” written on the cover as a mini feature list. Innocent times.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Navagon says:

So will the gameplay actually make sense this time? Does it bring us closer to a Realms of the Haunting remake/sequel (or a re-release on GOG)? Or will we have to wait until that’s 30 years old too?

2. Nick says:

I wonder what the Mario Bros. remake will look like.

3. Jerricho says:

I wonder how a remake of Cloak of Death would play.

4. sassy says:

Ummmmm I don’t see PC listed as a release platform.

• sassy says:

then again it also doesn’t list PS3 and yet it mentions that the PS logo is trademarked to … so maybe they aren’t sure what they are releasing on yet.

5. AndrewC says:

I don’t know this game. Wot’s it like?

But I found the idea of running around an environment full of baddies that you weren’t supposed to just blast to crap strangely refreshing. I don’t suppose that says anything nice about game development history.

6. Heliocentric says:

That wasn’t a list of features. It was a list of things that might be in the box, kinda like piracy anti incentives.

7. Wendelius says:

Seeing that video makes me want to go back and play Rare’s excellent “Grabbed by the ghoulies” instead.

8. Loopy says:

It makes me want to get out my Spectrum emulator and go back and play Ulitmate’s “Atic Atac” actually. :)

9. Clovis says:

I’ve never played/heard of this before, but it is clearly being dumbed down for the console-tards.

Also, why is the ESRB warning me that the game will contain Role Playing?

10. Martin Kingsley says:

After a bit of hunting, I track’d down this here remake of Haunted House put together for a RetroRemakes competition back in the mists of 2004. http://www.acoders.com/acsite/viewsoftware.php?id=106&#updates

I have no idea if it’s any good.

11. James says:

Judging by the visuals and taking in Atari’s recent Blade Kitten, I’m guessing it’s headed for digital distribution, which is not a bad move. Could we start seeing more classic games remastered or remade specifically for XBLA, PSN, Steam, etc?

I hope so. We are losing so much of gaming’s history due to negligent publishers.

12. DMJ says:

Role playing is the gateway drug to Satanism. Magic? Spells? Demons? All there in the handbook. Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children?

13. Jonathan Hartley says:

Wellcrap. You won’t believe this, but I one day I planned to make an indie sort-of remake of this myself, in 2D, with rigid body physics, lines of sight, and multiple light sources. I’ve been writing a few nano-games to work myself up to it. I guess the name is non-critical, so it doesn’t really affect me, but still.

14. Hodge says:

Christ, this game’s a pile of pretentious twaddle, isn’t it? Minimalist, arty wank. It lowers the standard of RPS whenever you post something like this.

• Clovis says:

Minimalist and arty? Are you somehow referring to the original? The game shown in the video just looks boring, but not arty or minimalist at all.

My guess is that the awesomeness of the original box art is why this got posted.

• PleasingFungus says:

*point, head, whoosh*

15. Clovis says:

@FP: I was afraid of that. I just don’t get it. I guess because the joke seems to be, “This is pretentious, and not worthy of RPS, but in reality it’s just mediochre or boring”. The first part makes sense; this is clearly not arty or pretentious. Haha. But usually when someone says this kind of thing ironically, they usually mean that it is actually good. But this isn’t good, right?

Oh well … you can’t get ‘em all …

16. Breaker Morant's Ghost says:

If nothing else, they should be lauded for not remaking it as an FPS.

17. bakaohki says:

Wizard of wor remake, anyone? 3rd person camera, zillions of poligons, maze o’ death, online multiplayer + add some “role playing” features and achievements + Wizard of wor THE MOVIE in a year or two…