Fortissimo: Air Forte

By Kieron Gillen on July 19th, 2010 at 12:00 pm.

The screenshot doesn't explain the game best, but it's an awesome screenshot.

Blendo Games latest project has just been released. The makers of micro-indie FPS-joy Gravity Bone and turn-based space-fleet-battle game Flotilla have let Air Forte out into the world. It’s – to quote the site – a “high-altitude game of math, vocabulary, and geography”. In other words, an educational game where you zip your plane around to select the answers. Features co-op, adventure modes and… oh, you can play the demo or see the trailer below. And it’s available on PC, Haircut-PC, Beardy-PC and Console-Toy.

, , , , .

1. Metalfish says:

Excellent looking indeed. Flotilla was a little slice of odd brilliance.

Also, kudos on the indiscriminate hating of other platforms, you sexy PC demigods.

Rikard Peterson says:

Yay haircut PC!

3. Kazang says:

“And it’s available on PC, Haircut-PC, Beardy-PC and Console-Toy.”

Haha, that’s quality.
    That made my morning.

RLacey says:

I fully approve of this PC nomenclature.

5. Brumisator says:

Yoda is the Frog King?

This explains everything!
    *starts writing star wars fanfic*

6. robrob says:

I love Blendo. Everything he makes is really good. Is this really good? Probably!

7. Chris D says:

The soundtrack appears to be Silent Night in the style of the Beach Boys. Ok, I won’t swear to the beach boys but it’s definitely silent night. Oddly it sort of works.

8. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I saw the image without reading Kieron’s text-gubbins and immediately thought “that looks a bit Blendo”, and lo and behold it was. Hooray!

9. Alexander Norris says:

But will there be Rasta cats?

10. MartynEm says:

And pigs on the run for corporate crime?

11. John Peat says:

Must the THE shortest demo in the history of the world (you could easily complete it in 3-4 mins) but it’s a lovely idea, fantastic presentation etc. etc.

12. Wulf says:

I learned to love Blendo after the bizarre (but really quite enjoyable) Flotilla, and hey, Flotilla had animal people in it. How could that possibly not win me over?

So I’m going to try this on the merits of Flotilla, despite it being some bizarre edutainment thing which is likely to scare and confuse me – or delight me, I’m really not sure which, yet.

I’m going to be tricked into learning things, and have flashbacks of my youth, where I played similar things and was tricked into learning things. Wheeee.

• Wulf says:

The demo was mental, amusing, fun, I learned something, and my pilot is a tiger.

This is a fantastic one for kids, and the parents who play it with them are probably going to learn something as well.

The only bad thing is when one goes careering off into an answer they know to be incorrect, but can’t stop their plane from doing so, though that is all part of the action-y gameplay, so it’s intended. Still… D:<

• Vague-rant says:

I imagine the controls would be a brilliant excuse to avoid making an idiot of yourself if you decide to play with your kids.

Also I chose the pirate penguin named General Ignorance. I am weak and pathetic.

13. terry says:

This is super but waaaaay too short :-O

• geldonyetich says:

Seriously, the demo lasted less than 5 minutes for me, partly because the vast majority of the stages were related to finding the multiples of 2, 5, and 10.

Very stylish game, I’ll give it that.

• Wulf says:

I enjoyed it, it was pretty funny, especially the ending… but the content wasn’t there for the money asked. It would make a great kid’s game, though. And I had a lot of laughs with it. The storyline was just bizarre enough to be appealing to me.

If they throw in a few more ‘worlds’ for free down the line though, covering other topics (history would be a nice addition), then it’ll definitely be worth the asking price. As it is though, I’d say to grab it on Steam when it hits the $10/£6 mark.

14. Max says:

I’m still waiting on the content update to Flotilla that Brendon said he was working on. I absolutely loved Flotilla but I played it so much that it got boring!

Hodge says:

Beardy PC! This is Hodge’s time to shine.

16. a says: