Lara Croft And The Trailer Of Trailerier

By John Walker on July 19th, 2010 at 2:40 pm.

Watermarking your screenshots Eidos! Makes them look shit when we crop them!

Despite reading about it, and indeed writing about it, it’s really only watching the video below that has finally had me click over what this new Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light trailer game is really all about. Which is really nothing like Tomb Raider at all. But it looks an awful lot of Diablo-esque fun. The new trailer shows off intense combat, with minimal athletics. (The previous trailer was the other way around.). It’s a peculiar direction to have swung in, but a bright and interesting one. It’s supposed to be out sometime this Summer, but there’s still no specific date.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

lhzr says:

i’d look for it sometime in september, judging from this post: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lara-croft-a-4-week-360-exclusive

• Saul says:

If only Limbo were just a 4-week XBLA exclusive, I could handle that. *sigh*

Sorry… er, got distracted there. This looks like a bit of mindless fun. Which means I probably won’t like it, but you never know.

2. ChaK_ says:

delaying that game in september is the worst idea ever.

August was a cool month, mafia 2 was the king, and it’s on 27th, so tomb raider had plenty of opportunities.

Now it’s just in a crowded month, people will be playing mafia 2, darksiders, two world 2, or waiting for the chief : CIV 5 !

I intended to buy it, but not anymore. I can save the money for it, not the time. Bad move

• PleasingFungus says:

No offense, but I’m not sure how many people looking for a co-op action/acrobatics game will end up spending their money on Civ 5 instead of this game.

Different genres, eh?

• Antsy says:

Also, its not uncommon for games to stay available on the market once realeased!

3. Shadrach says:

/waits for the nude mod.

4. fallingmagpie says:

God she’s got an annoying voice. Looks well fun though.

Oh, and I was a bit baffled by the gun that seemed to be firing 5 or 6 streams of plasma bolts (?). Tomb Raider 40K, anyone?

• skyturnedred says:

I thought it was awesome, reminded me of the weapon power-ups in Contra.

• Antsy says:

Annoying voice? It’s Keeley Hawes!

/rant
      /splutter

Good day, sir!

• Deadjim says:

Antsy speaks the truth

Its Keelye Hawes!!!!!!

Spooks!
      Ashes to Ashes!
      and the original Death at a Funeral!!! comon!

• Antsy says:

And Tipping the Velvet, which was *cough* excellent television.

5. DeepSleeper says:

Call me when Lara Croft and the Prisoner of Azkaban is out. I hear that’s when the series really starts to shine.

6. jon_hill987 says:

Well that looks… different.

7. bill says:

the platform game looked much more interesting…

Chaz says:

Looks pretty darn good to me. Makes a welcome change for the series.

sonofsanta says:

Well that looks shit.

It’s doing that 90’s computer games thing of thinking big numbers is the key to success – “Over 30 weapons to collect!” – and Cutscene Lara looks like she has a nice holiday cottage in the Uncanny Valley.

Plus the multiple-stream-laser-thing is just ridiculous and completely out of key with the setting.

Oh well… never liked TR games anyway, so no loss!

10. lethu says:

I don’t know what to think about this one. “This summer’s biggest arcade adventure”, perhaps because there is next to no concurrency this period? Now as to if I want to give it a try… I don’t think this is the kind of game I could just jump into its full version without priorly trying a demo of it.

11. Out Reach says:

over 30 weapons? BY ZEE GODS!

Seriously game developers since Borderlands had a game with 1 million different guns, any game that makes a claim on weapon numbers which does not exceed that just look stupid.

12. Freud says:

The voice that says “PEGI 12″ surpise me every time. They should make a survival horror game where you are hunted by the guy who says it. Probably won’t be PEGI 12 though.

• ran93r says:

Would be slightly more amusing if you were hunted by a 12 year old girl called Peggy.

• Antsy says:

PEGI 12 is the latest of the time travelling ninja robo-dolls. They bounce through time preventing the burglary of history’s treasures by agents of the Fell Dimension.

True story.

abhishek says:

Not amused by the 1 month exclusivity, and the poster above is right… releasing in September will definitely hurt sales on the PC and PS3. I wonder if the SOA promotion they are getting on XBL will make up for that.

Personally, it went from a definite buy to will buy depending on how funds are at the time it releases.

14. TheApologist says:

Looks like a fun time to me, but would have been far better coming out in August than September.

Glad it’s not where the main series is headed, but will probably jump into this when it comes out

15. Alez says:

Are these types of games getting more and more popular or is it my imagination? I can’t recall any names but i’ve played in the last 6 months about 2 – 3 of these games where you have a top down view, kinda like diablo but you shoot shit. They are all 99% the same, usually in space stations or ships.

16. pakoito says:

I kinda like it better than the usual Tomb Rider shit. Diablesque shooter with a Sqenix touch.

17. TeeJay says:

My interest will depend on the price.

18. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Diablo meets Prince of Persia? With female bits added, of course.

Too bad game franchises don’t tend to go deeper as time goes by, mostly they become shallower.

That is, I’d have fancied a game about exploring faux-historical sites, riddles, puzzles, traps, ancient languages.. more of an Indiana Jones-vibe with less arcadey action, I guess.

• Mman says:

This is just a side-game so there’s still plenty of chance for that in the next main game of the series.

19. Kid A says:

“So we have a really solid looking co-op platformer here… but as Trine CLEARLY showed, no-one buys those.”
    “Best put some shitty Diablo-with-guns bits in then. Everyone loves Diablo, and everyone loves guns! Right? RIGHT?!”

• Vague-rant says:

Well, its not like Trine was completely void of actiony bits anyway. Shooty bits were also a staple of old Tomb Raider games too, so its not like this is completely out of nowhere.

Why they gave the other fellow a gun too, I can only imagine. I expect its to do with character balance.

20. Pmeie says:

i went kinda lolwtf when i saw diablo with guns… it’s the kind of thing you joke about having in diablo with your mates when you’re 14 and playing video games… “yeah well i’d just use an m14 on diablo ha ha ha” then “lol” .. just doesn’t make a huge amount of sense to have all these fantasy creatures n then guns, but i guess it fits into tomb raider having guns

Stompywitch says:

Looks pretty good, which is potentially I flaw – a Tomb Raider game I’d like probably isn’t one fans of the series would like. :)

Still, going to look out for this, assuming the PC version is decent.

22. Meat Circus says:

Vertical exploration is my second favourite kind of exploration.

23. Tei says:

I approve of this.

Also, is surprising how popular is Lara Croft. Maybe is not popular here, but under the general populace is *very* popular. Theres also like 3 movies about his adventures, this is x3 times more than Mario Bross.

24. Hmm says:

Why Steam exclusive? Stop kissing Gabe’s feet, Eido… I mean Square Enix. Every game this publisher releases of late is tied to Valve’s client.

25. Urthman says:

I love Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia type games. This doesn’t look like it has much of what I love in those games, but the stuff it does have looks fun.

More than anything, it looks to me like a cross between Trine and Torchlight. If only it could be half that awesome.

Flimgoblin says:

Intriguing…

27. Spindaden says:

is it just me or does everyone seem to be doing a diablo-like since Blizzard announced D3?

28. ASDF says:

What a weird turn this franchise has taken. Underworld was beautiful and a huge technical evolution from the previous TR games, plus it was quite fun. Fapworthy to the max as well, SO I HEAR. And now… this?

• Klaus says:

You are free to fap to any of the three in the picture. Be free and fap!

• Urthman says:

Underworld was a very minor evolution from the previous two games, and this is not the next turn of the franchise. It’s just a spin-off game. They’re going to make another one that will be more like Underworld.

29. K says:

It reminds me of Contra and Prototype.