Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo

By Jim Rossignol on July 21st, 2010 at 8:56 am.

A demo? A demo! Turns out BIS are releasing a fairly beefy demo for the recent expansion pack, Operation Arrowhead, including some single player scenarios, a mission from the main campaign, some multiplayer missions and even the mission editor. Get the 3gb download here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. robrob says:

I want to play this so badly but I do not have a computer. Take pity on me :(

Does anyone remember the Op Flash demo? That thing had me totally enthralled. Drive a jeep! That guy is talking to me! Get in the truck! Oh my god they are talking about ‘distance intervals’ it is like I am really there! Oh my god an ene- oh I am dead. It blew my young mind. I was expecting a straight up shooter but it did so many things.

• AndrewC says:

I know! I feel a bit bad, but this amount of content will be all the Arma i need. I should complete it in a year or so.

• Spacewalk says:

My only memory of the Op Flash demo was jumping of the back of the truck, running some distance away and then blowing it up and watching all the soldiers scatter like little plastic army men, then merrily waltzed back to base to get shot for insubordination because I did that every single time.

• robrob says:

My (then) friend told me that if you take a left at the T junction once you have the jeep, you can keep going that way and find an airfield and there’s a helicopter and a plane which you can steal and blast the Russian tanks. Whenever I tried it I lost the mission for deviating from the area of operation but he insisted if you take the right route then it makes an exception. I must have wasted hours hunting that elusive helicopter.

Chris if you’re reading this you are a rotter.

2. Harlander says:

Cool; I’d wanted to try this but somehow managed to overlook any demos of Arma (2) that may or may not have existed.

Now just to hope that my new fan settings will keep my creaky old GPU from exploding…

3. Turin Turambar says:

Technically it’s not an expansion pack, it does not require the original game.. ;)

4. klumhru says:

Despite the fact that OA is in fact not an expansion, I’d highly recommend to those that do not have Arma2 already, to get the Combined operations pack. It’s an extra $10 (on steam), but worth it. A lot of mods require both, as some content from Arma2 is not included in OA, specfically the islands and some vehicles.

• Alexander Norris says:

It’s also worth noting that as the OA demo is being released now, it’s a much, much better demo to non-OA ArmA2 than the base ArmA2 demo, which was made a long time ago and consequently is very poorly optimised.

5. Sam says:

I bought ArmA 2 at release but didn’t play it because it ran terribly on my system. Gonna download this and see if it’s any better. If this runs well, will a patched ArmA2 run well?

• Alexander Norris says:

Most likely, yes. I hear the performance has been vastly improved since release.

• squirrel says:

If it’s just frame rate issue then you’re lucky. I also bought it at launch, and was immediately angered by the so-called “artifact bug”. My English is not good, but from the gamers who complained at the game official forum it is a bug that would turn all texture in the game graphics off, essentially turning your game unplayable. No, not frame rate issue (it runs smoothly actually). It often occurred to system with over 4GB system ram on an ATI system (some Nvidia users also complained about the bug but from what I heard most Nvidia users should have no problem even with over 4GB system ram, so yes it was mainly ATI issue). I have to wait for 4 months, after 3 official patches for it to be solved. Damn, I paid full launch price for it. But, afterall, by the time this bug was resolved the price simply stood still in my city.

The good thing about this bug in the original game is, that you are almost ensured this bug will not occur in this new expandalone, or BIS would be out of business.

6. Thiefsie says:

I’m still bemused at how rubbish Arma 2 runs, even on my new gtx 470… :( I haven’t had my $$$ worth out of the first so don’t think I will pony up for this expandalone… pity as I love these guys and Op Flash.

7. squirrel says:

Wah!! I have ARMA 2 so I didnt want to buy this one. But then I read from online forums in my city that this expandalone enjoys a huge popularity over the original one, indicated by the no. of online players. Great! Just too good to be true to have a demo to try out.

8. neofit says:

I am a big fan of BIS games – OFP/Arma/Arma2. But I wouldn’t recommend the purchase of OA for the included campaign alone. If you are not playing online, and don’t consume a lot of user-made scenarios, you’ll be through the OA campaign in like two evenings.

The campaign is about 6 missions-long, if you exclude the blah-blah cinematics they are calling missions. And only a couple are playing to the strengths of the game. Arma2 is first and foremost an infantry combat “simulation”, I don’t even think an “IMHO” is warranted here. If you want proper flight models, or tank/APC combat that is not based on a vehicle healt-bar, there are other games on the market. Yet only a couple of missions in the already short campaign have you fighting as infantry. There is the mandatory chopper mission, but most of what I remember doing in the OA campaign was driving a tank and trying to command my dummass AI squadmates.

But if one plays online, and my favourite is the coop mod “Domination”, the expansion has a lot of new things: a new map, new equipment, new functionality, I won’t list what is already listed elsewhere. The “Domination” mod was ported to OA at release, and as a toolbox for a new Arma2 experience I definitely got my 30€ worth. As a standalone game with its own campaign, no way.

And BTW, don’t be scared to play online, coop is very fun, there are mods that have their own campaign with up to 10-60 players in coop. I know it took me months before I made the jump, mostly because of bad past experiences. Just read the manual that is usually included in the “Notes” section of the map and you will be fine.

9. jackflash says:

10. EBass says:

Arma2 has a very strong and dedicated community and 90% of them are gonna have this. Thus most of the new missions/mods are probably gonna require this to run.

But yea if you want to buy a game for unmodded single player play you’re gonna be dissapointed.

11. Duck says:

All of you who are saying things like:

“Tried the demo last night – runs (and looks) like a dream compared to vanilla Arma 2. I’m impressed.”

Are you talking about the vanilla ArmA 2 demo? Or the full game?

Because Bohemia Interactive have been consistently releasing great patches for the retail game, the latest one being 1.07, which VASTLY improves performance and optimization (especially for quad core users like me).

Most people on the Bohemia Interactive forums are complaining that Operation Arrowhead isn’t running as well because it doesn’t have the benefits of the 1.07 patch yet. The exact opposite complaint of what I’m seeing here.

On another note:

I’d recommend that anyone trying to get the game just spends $10 and gets Combined Operations. Just do it. You’ll love it. You’ll love it a lot more than I, who has to spend ANOTHER $40, and then run a bunch of confusing scripts and batch files in order to get the two games to combine.

• jackflash says:

I’m talking about the full game, which I own. Chernarus in Arma 2 still runs like crap on my Radeon 4850 and C2D E8500. A couple missions in the campaign are just too choppy to be enjoyable. The demo for OA runs great, though. I particularly like the SSAO – the lighting looks 10x better.

• GC says:

I played ArmA II in v1.05 and was not able to finish it because of constant crashing. As it was only a crippling problem in the last mission I consider the game playable.

With ArmA II OA I had not a single crash !!! It’s the first time with a game made by BIS… well I’m lying, that was only after patching it : in the out of the box version it crashed when I clicked “start campaign”

ArmA II OA runs better because Takistan is a flat desert with sand, rocks, and small villages, where Chernarus in ArmA II was a beautiful forest country with big cities.

OA is also shorter… really short in fact. Time limited mission doesn’t help.

• Duck says:

Make SURE you get the 1.07 patch, because, like I said, it vastly (VASTLY) improves performance, vastly.

VASTLY.

Then compare OA to A2v1.07 and tell me if OA is still faster.

• jackflash says:

Of course I have the 1.07 patch. Arma 2 is slower on a single card setup for me and most of the other people I’ve read comments from, just because of all the trees.

12. Derf says:

Just played the demo. Unfortunately the game still bizarrely revolves around special forces type missions. Surely the USP of this series is the infantry experience?

13. Soobe says:

One of the standalone missions is a benchmark. Post some numbers if ya got ‘em:

Mine – 34 FPS with normal everything @ 1680×1050. When I turn the lighting up it dips down into the 20′s, and no matter what settings I use it’s hard to make it look decent and crack the 50′s.

Also, yes, this game is very much CPU bound, more than most games I play. I’ve got a Quad core, but only 2.4 GHz and it hurts.

14. Freaky says:

squirrel : I had that texture problem too. Simple workaround: `-winxp` as a launch argument to turn off the buggy Vista+ DirectX 9 “enhanced” codepath.

Comment on this story