Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Update

By Quintin Smith on July 22nd, 2010 at 11:27 am.

'Pro Elf' has got me wondering about Prince Tyrion's Pro Elf, in the style of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

The word’s out on two of the twelve new teams featuring in Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, which arrives at the end of this year. The word, and also screenshots. The Pro Elves aren’t to be confused with the game’s existing Wood Elves, because they’re tougher than Wood Elves and as such would probably beat you up. The second team, the Ogres, offer unmatched brutality at the expense of their team roster being made up by Snotlings. Full press release after the jump.

New races aren’t the only thing coming in Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, of course. There’s also new arenas (a snowy Norse one can be seen in the screens), a new Story mode which casts the player as a freelance coach and a more comprehensive tutorial. Exciting times! And thanks to the lovely Ian Hetherington for the tipoff.

Meet the Elves and the Ogres!

This week, we are pleased to present screenshots of not one, but two of the 11 new races that will join the 9 previous races in the new Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition’s at the end of the year! Also enjoy a glimpse of one of the new stadiums, where the teams will compete in bloody matches!

The “Pro” Elves typify the Elven tradition with speedy, agile, albeit fragile players! And though these Elves are not as fast as the Wood Elves, they are a little more resilient and can sustain a few more blocks than their cousins… only a few more though! Their specialized players make the “Pro” Elves team perfect for an efficient passing game.

On reflection, the Ogres’ teams offer the complete opposite when it comes to play style, The Ogres unmatched brutality – and stupidity – is balanced by the smallest and the weirdest Blood Bowl players: the Snotlings. At first sight, these little creatures may seem useless and only worth being stomped on by the opposite team (and that would be a fair evaluation!). Yet, they are essential to help the Ogres to actually win games; especially since the big ones tend to forget they are in the middle of a game when the blood begins to fly!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BooleanBob says:

This game has recently consumed my life to the point where, if I am having a particularly good morning, I will inform anyone unfortunate to be in earshot that I have been ‘rolling sixes’. This, for me, is a problem.

So yes I am very interested in more teams. I don’t suppose there’s been any word on pricing, expansion/’expandalone’ status , discounts for previous owners, or similar?

• BooleanBob says:

I sniffed around the forum and found this thread, which suggests that the game will be a stand-alone product that will be full-price for everyone. Which of course makes perfect sense, given that the vastly larger part of the new game’s audience will be those who own the original.

In other words: This is Super Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition.

• Junior says:

Naturally, how nice of them.

I take it this will also be priced the same as the original game, around the £50 mark with no boxed copy avalible?

The PC is all about the niche games, which is really infuriating when a company takes agvantage of an existing fanbase.

• R3D says:

i have allredy made my forum rage herd over on the bbforums.
      it is crap that i now have to spend the same cash again to get what i was offerd from the beginning.
      it feels alot like the l4d-l4d2 crap but at least valve are good and deliver a game that is playable to begin with and not the roach motell that is Blood Bowl

2. Choca says:

Gah… Elves. In the hand of a good player they are amongst the most annoying teams out there.

The Ogres suck real bad IIRC.

• groovychainsaw says:

But..but..you can have TWO ogres. On one team. How can that suck, how?! Surely it is the greatest thing in the world.

I for one, welcome our Snotling overlords. (and the other teams, of course… I hope they don’t price the expansion at some ridiculous £40 price point like the original game…)

• groovychainsaw says:

/Edit – I say 2, but then check it out and find out its 6. 6! This is better than sliced bread, I am sure.

• BooleanBob says:

So Pro Elves = (‘just’) Elves?

Judging from their Living Rulebook description, it’s still strength 3s armour 7s all ’round, and Blitzers seem a poor substitute for Wardancers indeed. Plus, they’re slower. Am I missing something?

• Web Cole says:

Seems like they’re basically a bit more cost effective than the Woodies, and have different positionals: http://bbtactics.com/elf-teams/

• The Promised Landt says:

Pro Elves should be compared to High Elves, not Wood Elves. They’re High Elves with an additonal decent skill attached to Blitzers and Catchers. The downside is that your linemen are strictly worse (-1 AV), but since you’re saving gold on linos, you can afford more positionals earlier.

3. Lars Westergren says:

I hope they do something about the lobby interface for chatting, sending mails, finding matches and so on.

4. Gothnak says:

Any news on how the campaign will be improved?

All i want is better AI, the ability to play local leagues on a LAN at work, Team Setups (So i don’t have to but my best player BACK in the team at the start of EVERY kick off) and a better league system in the single player mode. Rather than playing in random cups…

Think of Football Manager – Blood Bowl Edition… Ah, that’d be awesome! :)

• Ian says:

Funnily enough I was thinking this yesterday, about a Blood Bowl management game.

The amount of detail my casual musings got into was sort of frightening.

• Vinraith says:

Yup, AI improvement is all I really care about. The UI of the original game worked fine for me, I’ve never really understood the complaints, and what MP I played seemed to work smoothly enough as well. The only thing wrong with the current version is that the AI plays the same way for every team, which makes what should be a very entertaining campaign something of a drag once you learn the patterns.

stw402′s mods did a great job of improving the single player experience, but he’s gone silent so I’m not sure we’ll see a Legendary Edition version of his work. :(

5. Ian says:

Ogres tend to be either an exercise in futility or brutality. In my limited experience with them there’s little middle ground.

Also Quinns is putting quite the shift in, isn’t he? I assume the Hivemind have all gone to Malibu and left him in charge for having the temerity to be away from the site for a while.

• Quintin Smith says:

They say I can have some shavings and clippings from the self-replicating supercomputer in the RPS Bunker if I’m good!

6. ChaK_ says:

that game got badly over-looked.

Clocked a good 100H on it, and I just lack time to play it again. Very solid game.

• Malibu Stacey says:

If by solid you mean terrible UI, horrendous bugs in the skills/rules, Ai that’s only worth using the term once it’s modded to hell & back by the community & a barely adequate league system then you’re on the money.

7. Web Cole says:

Very much looking forward to this. At the moment, in this order:

1. Vampires
    2. Amazons
    3. Norse

8. bill says:

They seem to be adding a lot of “ok” stuff, but there doesn’t seem to be much word on fixing any of the core issues with the first on (AI, interface, etc..)

I don’t really care about the extra teams, as the first game had all the main ones, but I do want a game with decent AI

• Whiskey Jak says:

Exactly! They need to do some serious in-house playtesting/user research and fix all the usability problems; this is by far the most pressing issue, which they do not seem to acknowledge properly. It’s as if their stance is “Well if people can manage to finish a match, it’s fair enough for us”, which is a terrible way of thinking in my opinion. They need to test, fix, test again, fix… until the game interface is worthy of the adjective “polished”.

Getting rid of quite a few bugs and getting a proper AI are also huge priorities over “more races”.

9. Andy says:

Is there any word on cost?
    As in, is this going to be added in like the dark elves in a free patch for all those who already own the game or are we going to be required to buy the whole thing again outright?

The story mode is a reasonably appealing proposition but only if it means they’ve fixed up the AI somewhat (or used some of the community developed ones) as it was soft as a snotling after an ogre stampede!

• Malibu Stacey says:

Full new game so everyone is paying full price from what I’ve read.

Nice way to treat your public beta testers….erm…I mean customers who’ve put up with the extremely buggy original release.

10. Malibu Stacey says:

Any news on whether all the glaring bugs in the rules/skills are going to be fixed for this version & whether the UI will be worth using that description for that horrible inconsistent barely usable mess?

11. Kazz says:

Now if only I could figure out how not to get stuffed every match I’d be very interested in this :). Guess I’ll give the manual a 3rd read.

12. Item! says:

According to the game web-page, (http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=races-comingsoon) the 11 new races for the Legendary Edition are:

Halflings, Undead, Amazon, Norse, Nurgle, Vampire, Necromantic, High Elves, More Elves Khemri and Ogre.

I think that would certainly make me pick this one up again!

• Gothnak says:

I know Necromantic, Vampire and Khemri are all cooler, but i just have to stick with the Undead, zombies and skeletons ftw!

13. apricotsoup says:

Those pics are pretty old by now (at least 2 weeks I think).

For the updates, the game is moving to LRB6, which now isn’t living and with GW’s horrible legal team treating many people badly is now the CRP.

We’ve heard on the official forums that the skill bugs are being addressed, old bugs and any changes to the new rules. Optional skills will have an option to actually make them optional (so grab players can crowd push at last, etc.).

So it just comes down to whether they will realise all of the promises, I for one am highly hopeful if still a little saddened by the missing stunties.

14. Dr. Derek Doctors, DFA says:

@Malibu Stacey: Dear God, the UI on that game is horrendous. I finally picked it up on Steam on sale, but the interface has kept me off it. Those tutorials are some of the worst design I’ve ever seen.

Note to aspiring designers: user interface is not something you hand over to the intern to slap together. The player judges the professionalism of your game first and foremost on its UI. Indeed, in most reasonably complex games, the game is the UI, with the lovely models, particle effects and shaders moving into the background.

I picked up The Witcher at the same time as BB, and was playing Dragon Age. Comparing the games’ respective interfaces is instructive: Dragon Age is attractive, consistent, and generally easy to use; The Witcher is detailed, well-crafted, but in terms of usability impenetrable; and the Blood Bowl UI is basically nonexistent, roughly on par with an early build of Tux Racer.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I’ve played through the tutorials & a fair few cup matches but gave up on it after a while as it’s just so horribly frustrating trying to use the ridiculously bad UI. Thankfully I was playing a mates copy so I’ve never shelled out any cash on it as yet. If I had I’d feel awfully hard done by to the extent I’d be asking for it back which I’ve never done for any game.

I love accidentally clicking the end turn button when I was actually trying to select one of my players further down the field. Oh wait no I don’t. I play Skaven predominantly but I imagine any fast teams like the various Elves are going to run into this often enough for it to grate.

The skill & rule “bugs” are a huge deal breaker. It’s not as if they had to design & balance the game before implementing it, it’s already all done for them by GW! The LRB is effectively a requirements specification & they still constantly manage to get it so badly wrong it’s not even funny. Maybe I’m less forgiving on this type of stuff as I’m a software developer myself but if Cyanide’s QA or even the tiny part of GW who are supposed to care about the standard of their video games had done anything like a basic QA process on this game it should never have been released in the state it was.

• IdleHands says:

Can someone explain why the UI is all so bad? I kept hearing that it was and when I got the game I thought they were refering to the extremley clunky internet leagues section, but are you talking about the ingame UI? I’ve had no problems with it at all, sure there’s room for improvement but never had a reason to complain about it. I just don’t understand why it’s meant to be so hellish, the end turn button is a large button top of the screen clearly marked ‘End Turn’ how do accidently click that (I’m not trying to provocative or insulting here I genuinely don’t understand what’s so bad about the ingame UI).

• Ian says:

I think the worst of it isn’t the in-game stuff.

I’ve only accidentally hit “End Turn” once, and I was annoyed at myself rather than the design.

15. malkav11 says:

Many of the updates and additions sound great – there are several teams coming that I’ve been very interested in trying. However, the fact that they’ve no plans to accomodate former Blood Bowl owners in any way makes me livid.

16. Finstern says:

Sometimes you have to roll a hard six ; )

17. Ian says:

I don’t know what’s worse, that it looks like there’ll be no accommodation of owners of the current, broken game or the fact that I’ll probably still buy it.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I don’t advocate nonsense like boycotts but I’m personally not giving Cyanide any money until they make a game worthy of being called a game.
      I love Blood Bowl (and most other ‘fictional’ sports games which are implemented well e.g. Speedball 2) but I’m not going to give them any positive reinforcement by purchasing the second unfinished product they release. I could be wrong, this game could be awesome with the full LRB6 rules & skills perfectly implemented but I will remain skeptical going on Cyanide’s past performance.

18. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

I for one am just looking forward to more teams. Hurrah!

19. jon_hill987 says:

As much as I am looking forward to this I can’t help wonder how badly it will split the already small community.

They should make it so that if you own the original, you can join the new leagues and play against the new teams online, but only be ably to pick one of the 9 in Dark Elves Edition for your own team in much the same way the Duels of the Planeswalkers DLC works. This would have the added bonus of making people want to buy the Legendary Edition after they get trounced by some Vampires.

20. somnolentsurfer says:

Unless there’s some serious UI improvements there’s absolutely no way I’ll be buying this until I can pick it up cheep on Steam. Certainly not at the ridiculous £40 price tag the original was released at. Which is a shame, because most of the friends I play with are planning on getting it at release, and apparently the two aren’t compatible.

21. Jorum says:

I really don’t understand what the issue with UI is – I’ve never had any problem or confusion with it.
    As someone who doesn’t get much time for multiplayer my main interest would be AI improvement.

22. TheHumanBlur says:

What the balls? Honestly, FOUR types of undead and 2 new elf teams? Elves are rubbish. And who the shit are ‘amazon’? Where are the CHAOS DWARFS?? Jesus, even an iteration of one of the human nations would have been more interesting then ‘more feckin elves’ *mutter mutter*

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

A lot of similar teams means less work for the developer. Yeah, that’s pretty cheap. But we’ll have to see how they play and look to see if they’re more than copy-paste witha mild paintover and slightly different players/stats.

• TheHumanBlur says:

After a bit of research I retract all former statements.

23. Stompywitch says:

I quite liked playing with Zons on FUMBBL a few years back, but I’m not going to be dim enough to buy this game again – poor UI, poor AI, and just generally not much fun.

It was better than the DS version, but that’s hardly a recommendation.

24. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Als, I’m soo buying this. Not necessarily immediately, but I’m still enjoying Blood Bowl a whole lot and more teams is only going to make it better. Um, well.. I hope. Knowing CYanide it’s entirely possible they mess that up as well.

25. jeremypeel says:

So… I keep considering buying Blood Bowl, despite the lukewarm reviews, despite the fact I’ve never played the tabletop game – merely because I’m excited by the prospect of a Games Workshop game brought relatively faithfully in all its complexity to PC.

Should I be buying it?

• malkav11 says:

Not yet.

• Kelron says:

I picked up Blood Bowl for £5, having never played the tabletop version. It’s great as long as you have people to play with. Maybe if I knew the rules beforehand I’d be more conscious of bugs and mistakes, but it’s the only multiplayer game I’ve really got into for a long time. The multiplayer lobby interface is kind of clunky, and it needs to be clearer on what dice rolls you need to make for certain actions, otherwise I don’t have a problem with the UI.

I won’t be buying the Legendary Edition for full price, but I will be looking to get it at some point.

26. TinyPirate says:

Have they fixed leagues so you can play anyone at any time and just acrue points among a league of friends? Formal leagues were too fiddly and pick-up games too random in quality…

27. FrownyFace says:

So really what we have here is that an unfinished game got made and sold at an above average price that most fanboys that for years were just playing on Javabowls were willing to shell out for, and then a year or two later the actual finished product is being sold as LED and another round of cashing in ensues.

You know, I liked these guys when they made Chaos League. Played it to death, it was SUPER fun.
    Blood bowl, on the other hand, was not.
    I suspect that the superstrict adherence to the ruleset instead of the focus on the fun is to blame there.

But seriously, don’t people feel ripped off here?

Then again millions are happy to pay subscriptions for the honor of being allowed into MMORPGs..so hey.

28. Adam Whitehead says:

Incidentally, any plans by RPS to cover the Cyanide announcement of the GAME OF THRONES real-time strategy game they recently announced? Fans of the books are severely concerned about Cyanide’s track record and it was a bit of a surprise Cyanide got the licence. After HBO bought the TV rights and Relic and BioWare were bigging up the books (the primary inspiration for DRAGON AGE), a very small, borderline-obscure French company best known for a so-so adaptation of a minor (but fun) Games Workshop side-game getting the rights came as a bit of a shock.

Plus they seem to be doing an RTS and an RPG, which is extremely ambitious for a company unproven in either field.

29. Gus says:

Turns out that previous owners get a 30% discount. Not too bad I say.

30. Surgeon says:

Just thought I’d quickly defib this thread to post that you can get the Legendary Edition from Play.com for £14.99 delivered. Bargain!

31. Darcangelo says:

Kip Sothman
    Inspired by the Warhammer Fantasy world, Blood Bowl is an ultra-violent combination of strategy and sports games.

The Legendary Edition features 20 playable races, including 11 that are totally new, each offering its own game style! Make a competitive team, train it and buy the best equipment. Brutal victory after victory, improve your players’ skills to make them into true Blood Bowl players!