Dead Rising 2: Welcome To Fortune City

By John Walker on July 23rd, 2010 at 2:20 am.

Mmmm, toasty.

It’s always good to see some more Dead Rising 2 trailers appear, since each appears to be more peculiar than the last. Two more have appeared for Comic Con, advertising the rather lovely looking resort of Fortune City, Nevada. The first is, well, literally an advert for the city. The second – it goes into more specific details about what more lively events could take place there.

So check out sunny Fortune City.

Right, here’s the meat. The game here is to spot the coolest method of zombie killing shown in the short bursts. But I’m not sure any of them can beat the card flinging in the casino. Cor, I want to play this.

The game is due out on the 1st October on consoles, but a PC date is still TBA.

, .

1. a says:

I’ve always wanted to kill zombies with a moose head while dressed like a leather daddy. Too bad we’ll have to wait at least 6 months after the console peasant release date. =(

2. spork says:

Yeah, lol, on top of the six month wait, the game will probably require an i7, 4gb ram, and a very high end video card to play.

I call crappy console port. We’ll see…

3. TheSarafanPriest says:

I don’t think CAPCOM is going to release a bad port,just look at DMC4,SF4,RE5…all great ports.

• pakoito says:

Sarcasm detector is over the roof!

• pipman300 says:

play them with a 360 control and a video card newer then 1998 you luddites

• StingingVelvet says:

Those are indeed amazing ports… ever since Capcom started doing the ports themselves they have been excellent.

• Jad says:

In fact, you can’t even really call them ports — for SFIV the PC was in fact the lead platform, and the console versions were ports. Which is to say, the game was built for the arcades (which, while dead in most of the world, are still popular in Japan) and the SFIV arcade machine was just a Windows PC stuffed in an arcade box. The only reason why Capcom releases the PC versions of their game late at times is because the PC as a gaming platform is basically nonexistent in Japan.

• pkt-zer0 says:

This isn’t developed by Capcom, but Blue Castle Games, so that doesn’t matter much.

• Lilliput King says:

I dunno if people are being sarcastic here, but I’ll clear things up and tell you I’m not being sarcastic when I say:

They were pretty good ports.

• Nick says:

I can only speak for RE5, but it was a great port.

Shame the game wasa wee bit naff compared to 4 though.

• DrGonzo says:

The only one of them I played on Pc was DMC4, which I played on my girlfriends computer. It had a budget dual core and an x1900. So a pretty dated Pc for the time and the game ran really well, barely noticeable difference between it and the 360 version.

4. Kid A says:

Reasons I own a console:

- Racin’
    - Third Person Shootan’
    - Dynasty Warriors (I am aware of the PC ports, but they run like crippled, dying dogs)

Will have to add Dead Rising 2 to this list. The original is one of the few games I’ve never traded in, simply because… well, it’s a mall full of zombies to fuck with.

• Rinox says:

Third person shooting? Really? Can’t really see why anyone would prefer doing that with a controller.

Sports games, racing games, beat’em ups, sure…but FPS?

• Rinox says:

Oh my god reply fail. I read that as FIRST person. IGNORE ME!!!

• Kid A says:

You even WROTE “third-person shooting”.
      Epic fail.

Chaz says:

I’ve always wondered what sort of people buy the Dynasty Warrior games.

• Rinox says:

I know. I was trying to gloss over the whole ‘third-person’ thing.

• KilgoreTrout XL says:

Good reasons. I also have a console because most of my friends have 360s and not gaming PCs.

You also get gems like deathspank and limbo from time to time, which is cool.

• DrGonzo says:

Sorry how is Third Person shooting not way better with a mouse and keyboard? The controls are the same as First Person but you can see yourself.

There isn’t a single genre I prefer on console. If it’s better with a controller I plug one into my PC. I do own a 360 however, but that’s for games that don’t come to PC. Unfortunately hardly any of them appeal to me and I don’t really feel my 360 has been worth the money to be honest.

• DrGonzo says:

Oh and are Deathspank and Limbo coming to PC? I thought I read that they were. I would rather get them on PC but if they aren’t coming out on it then I may buy them this weekend.

• KilgoreTrout XL says:

@DrGonzo

As to your first question re 3rd person shooters, I am a pretty big gears of war fan, and I don’t think a port was made for the sequel. (I also like enjoy playing halo, which is, oh fuck it, I know.)

And for the second, I think deathspank *is* getting ported, but Limbo is not.

That sucks, because Limbo is a downright amazing game that everyone ought to play.

5. JimmyJames says:

@pakoito

I think he was being serious–those were all pretty much top notch ports! Really looking forward to this one.

6. dadioflex says:

Probably a redundant question, but is the original ever going to see itself on PC? If the engines are the same, or similar enough, it wouldn’t be much work would it?

I only ask because skipping an iteration bugs me. I’m turned off Fable 3 for the same reason.

Anyone play Zombie Fort? I bought it off the Impulse weekend sale last night for four quid. I know it got rubbished on release, but… four quid.

7. JimmyJames says:

@dadioflex

Yeah I was hoping for older versions as well.
    Also, Fort Zombie was crap. Great idea, garbage execution. You’ll soon see for yourself!

8. Rich says:

I’m all for improvisation, but a flame thrower made of plastic doesn’t strike me as the best idea.

• Tei says:

The best weapon to kill zombies could be a ninja with a fishing pole.

• Tei says:

Followed by the actor Chuck Norris as Kratos in the God of War movie, armed with a grapple hook.

• Turrhurr says:

Oldspiceman “Prophet” Isaiah shouting religious curses and snapping them in the behind with his now wet towel anda wildly flailing peewoh that is used as a finishing move to slap the heads off.

Hire me, NOW!

• P7uen says:

So you pick up the ninja with a fishing pole and swing him/her around? Or do you use him/her as a giant hand puppet?

Eww.

• Tei says:

He works much like a pet. He is just around doing awesome things. You just have to feed him with rice, from time to time (he eat it from your hand).

9. TearsForFears says:

I agree that the first one should be remade for PCs.

What is it with these series that should have been for the PC in the first place starting from Nr 2 on?
    (Bad company, e.g. as well)

10. Oblique says:

Btw, am I the only one thoroughly annoyed by the ancient style of shadow rendering used in console games AND their respective terrible PC ports?

The shadows on characters and other item self-shadows look like torn pieces of black paper and feel as unrealistic as a debt free government.

We have DX 10 on the PC, why do _WE_ have to suffer through crap functions that are used solely because of the retarded locked down console hardware?

Also, what is it with that Godfather II engine type of look? It’s terrible! I would think things start looking better, not worse over time :(

I blame consoles for everything that’s evil, rainforest erosion and the BP oil leak.

• jeremypeel says:

Well you’re wrong to. Speaking as someone who regularly plays lots of Xbox games, the shadows in those trailers made me feel pretty queasy too. Consoles ain’t got nothing to do with bizarre 2003-style shadow rendering,

• DrGonzo says:

Dead Rising is actually incredibly crisp on 360, so I’m hoping it’s just Gametrailers dodgy compression.

• Thants says:

The Godfather engine looked good in Dead Space.

11. tome says:

Oh, the umbrella. That’s easy. The umbrella.

12. blunders says:

I really hope this does end up coming out on the PC. Capcom’s last few PC ports have trailed the console releases by a few months, but the fact that the PC version of Lost Planet 2 seems to have fallen off the radar gives me a bit of dread. I hope it’s simply because that game wasn’t received nearly as well as their other recent games.

Dead Rising is my favorite video game Ever, and I recently ditched my 360, so I’m left hoping that I’ll get an opportunity to play this one. Don’t let me down, Capcom!

• pkt-zer0 says:

Dead Rising 2 has been announced for a simultaneous PC release from the very beginning.

• blunders says:

Well, not simultaneous, as evidenced by the fact that the release date is still up in the air. And Lost Planet 2 was definitely confirmed for a PC release at some point, too.

13. Ginger Yellow says:

This would be an amazing PC game if they allowed modding support – make your own weapons, maps etc. Not going to happen, though.

14. Zogtee says:

First video: No jiggle physics, eh?

Hiss, boo.

Second video: Somewhat disturbingly, I’m mostly looking forward to more cross-dressing possibilities.

/blush

15. Jacques2 says:

Umbrella Gun, FTW, too bad you can shove it down their brain chugging throats before you open it, but then again, you might need another umbrella to shield you from the carnage that would cause.

Weapons seen thus far:
    -Feet
    -Plastic Lightsaber
    -Roulette Wheel
    -Fire Extinguisher
    -Electric Guitar with built in Amp
    -Some kind of Sonic Gun
    -Blanka Mask that electrifies it’s wearer and all around them
    -Car
    -Motorcycle (sans chainsaws)
    -Microphone stand
    -Little Girl’s Bicycle (with training wheels)
    -Desert Eagle Equivalent
    -Manly Staring
    -Possibly a Katana (or long shiny chrome barreled rifle, can’t tell)
    -Trash Dumster
    -Baseball bat
    -Baseball bat with nails
    -Hard Hat
    -M60
    -Trunk
    -Rake with Car Battery(s)
    -Drill + Bucket for stuffing on zombie heads
    -I.E.D.
    -Exsanguinator (vacuum cleaner with saw blades)
    -Beer hat
    -Freedom Bear (Teddy Bear with M60)
    -Kitchen/ Throwing Knife
    -Frying Pan (hot or not)
    -Wheelchair (with passenger or not)
    -Foam Finger
    -Tenderizers (MMA Gloves + Nails)
    -Traffic Cone
    -Steven Hawking’s Wheelchair (with chainguns and awesome)

Lack of jiggle physics does disappoint me though, I thought it was becoming an industry standard (that is both a joke, and not)

16. Bhazor says:

“The game is due out on the 1st October on consoles, but a PC date is still TBA.” From here

“The game will now ship on September 28, 2010 in the U.S. and Canada, and October 1 in Europe on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. ” From here http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/110/1102386p1.html

17. YogSo says:

I’m sorry but I have to tell you this: killing zombies with cards is sillier than killing rhinos with popcorn...

• Tei says:

explosive popcorn!

• Jacques2 says:

1. It doesn’t seem to kill them, only distract them
      2. Have you never played SMOD? Do you know not the joy of the soy? Are you unaware of the might of bananas?

18. Nick says:

The umbrella stab and open was my favourite. Truely a nine pointed death star if ever there was one.

19. shinygerbil says:

Fortune City? Lemme tell you about Fortune City. Fortune City was, is, and always will be the superior rival to Geocities, and nothing else. Where, in the glorious days of the early Internet Rush, Internet Prospectors who were looking to Make It Big could get their own little 5mb patch of Internet, for their very own, to keep forever and ever; and with it, to make their fortune! (So long as they didn’t use more than 20mb bandwidth per month.)

I feel I’m Getting a little caught up, in a world which no longer exists. A world of tiled backgrounds and animated GIFs and marquee text.

20. Saiko Kila says:

What I wonder is if use of these exotic weapon would be realistic enough. I want them to hit as real as possible. Which means, most of them should be crap.

• Nick says:

Somehow I don’t think realism is the aim of the game with a wearable moose head as a weapon.

21. Jacques2 says:

Nonsense, I wear a moosehead every day to work and it clears traffic better than any cone ever did, granted it gets heavy alot faster.