Lego Universe: Factions, Partnering, Petting

By Jim Rossignol on July 23rd, 2010 at 9:26 am.

Three new Lego Universe trailers have flickered their way into the dull glow of my consciousness, via Bluesnews. They show a bunch of in-game activity, and also a fully-grown Lego fan with his Lego. He really likes Lego. I mean I really like Lego, but this guy likes it at another level.

, .

1. vanarbulax says:

Venture league FTW! Anything with a flamboyant captain is good in my book.

Also I saw lego machine guns, I thought they intentionally did not include any lego guns.

• jeremypeel says:

In the game or in lego in general? ‘Cos I owned a small horde of plastic pistols and full blown cannons back in the day.

2. Jezebeau says:

Crazy. I’ve actually worked in opera with that guy. Had no idea he was a lego fan at all.

3. DavidK says:

That first AFOL clip was just wonderful. Better than any gameplay trailer.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Yes, one of the very, very few times I’ve seen felt some genuine ‘warmth’ from someone talking about a game they’re involved in.

Even if the MMO is crap, I hope this guy has a nice life, doing puppet shows, scaring kids with bugs, and making amazing things at home with plastic bricks. :-)

4. Max says:

54 seconds, in the background
    LEGO TF2 SENTRY

5. Nova says:

They seem to put quite some effort into this. Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.

6. P7uen says:

I can understand why we can’t make our own pets, for animatorationary reasons.

But when we have things such as rocket ships I get the impression we wont be making our own.

It’s Lego (or LEGO or lego or something), we should be able to make everything ourselves. EVERYTHING I TELL YOU!

• TooNu says:

Yea, just so Goonswarm can come in and make giant dildo houses.

• Wulf says:

@TooNu

That’s why they’re apparently limiting personalised construction to one’s home area, just because of that reason. I mean, you’re right, of course. Minecraft is the ultimate proof of this. With some servers, you have the most amazing works, and then, with others… those amazing works are griefed, or the whole server has been griefed to hell to the point where nothing is recognisable, except for the giant penises.

This is actually why I despise griefer-groups like that, and just griefers in general. So really, the LEGO Universe approach is the more intelligent approach, and it’s the approach that some Minecraft servers are taking now, with layers and layers of security, all to ensure that someone can’t vandalise the statue in the centre of their Minecraftian metropolis, by adding a penis to it and ‘suk it’ in big, friendly letters (yep, I’ve seen this, unfortunately).

This being a kid’s game, if that sort of griefing went on then they’d be sued within days of opening, by multiple parents, so it’s just not a risk they could take. *scowls at the griefers.* And this is why we can’t have nice things. It’s an interesting collective lie of the Internet really that griefing groups are good for anything other than perverted griefing, and Second Life proves this to be true. You have some fantastic areas there, and are they ever griefed by the supposedly perverse furry types? Noap, it’s splinter groups of goons. Go figure.

In Second Life you had groups like DISSENTION and Patriotic Nigras (both goon groups), who quite enjoyed their hate-crimes, racism, perversion, and so on. I can guarantee that if LEGO Universe allowed for full customisation, it’d have groups like this finding ways to grief the playerbase on a daily basis. Keeping in mind that – unlike Second Life, and unlike Minecraft – this is a game for young kids, that’d be the worst thing that could happen to it. So they’re not being lazy or mean by not allowing high levels of customisation, they’re just playing it smart.

pauleyc says:

Whenever a a new MMO launches I remember the horse griefing clip from Age of Conan. Makes me wonder what the goons will do to LU…

• Wulf says:

Nothing, pretty much.

I know from my own experiences, and from dev chats, that LEGO Universe is pretty heavily locked down. There’s not really any room for griefing, unless it’s some kind of blatant exploit that could be easily patched.

8. Durns says:

A true Lego MMO should be Minecraft with lego bricks. The whole point of lego was to buy a box, make the house/car/etc on the picture once, then break it down and make spaceships/dinosaurs/underwater bases with the pieces.

I don’t think I ever kept a ‘correctly’ built lego set around for more than a day – on the other hand, there was one chap in my friend group who shrink-wrapped every complete building and lined them up on his shelf, so maybe I was the odd one out??

Also, Minecraft Minecraft Minecraft:

minecraft.net

Your ‘better than the real thing’ fix.

• Wulf says:

Agreed, Minecraft is wonderful. Just avoid the unprotected servers and it’s probably the most brilliant game you’ll experience, there’s such creativity there.

And Notch is doing fantastic things with the survival end, too. He recently added boats!

9. Brett says:

I have to agree. I thought you might somehow get to build at least something in this game. Looks like atypical WoW-style grinding for kids.

10. Teucer says:

They don’t show it in this video, but there is a free build component to the game like you guys want. You get your own little space to build whatever you want. I saw some videos of it posted from PC Gamer a little while ago.

• Wulf says:

Yep, it’s an instanced spot, your own home location that can’t really be accessed without friending someone and then teleporting to their home instance. I think even that is limited in some ways, though, as I recall. I don’t blame them for that, of course, it’s understandable, considering…

11. Jake says:

Every time Lego is mentioned on this site I seem to end up spending all day looking at Youtube videos of Lego trainsets. Everyone likes Lego right? I think just about the only think I don’t want to do with Lego is play a computer game of it.

12. Tei says:

Even with all the rationalizations wulf have put on the comments, and the experiences he has shared with us about minecraft, is very sad to me that a game about freedom and originality, end like this. You can as well close the whole thing, and call it a failure. I will call LOVE Universe a failure.