Commander: Conquest of the Americas demo

By Quintin Smith on July 26th, 2010 at 5:23 pm.

I took screenshots of what the game really looks like but couldn't bring myself to put them up instead.

Paradox Interactive’s latest strip of historical beef jerky, Commander: Conquest of the Americas, has a brand spanking new demo available for download at FilePlanet. CotA casts players as a European power scrabbling for colonies in the New World at the start of the 16th century, meaning it’s all turning a profit while remembering to fight your wars. Or the other way around, if you’re a jerk. I’ve had a quick look and it seems plenty engaging in a biscuity, Paradoxy, straight-laced sort of way, so why not give it a shot?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Vinraith says:

Here’s hoping Nitro found the right balance of gameplay this time, as the concept sounds excellent and the art is absolutely gorgeous.

2. Chaz says:

For a brief few seconds there I thought that this was going to be a Command & Conquer game set in the age of sail.

3. The Innocent says:

I’ll definitely try it out, though their first game was certainly plagued with disappointment. Fingers crossed!

4. Shazbut says:

I didn’t read the article yet. I just wanted to mention that I’m still thinking about Medi Chimp. Someone just make it already please.

Remember that, Quinns? An off hand joke you made about a week ago? It’s still with me.

5. Coins says:

It’s fun, I think. It is very complicated, and some stuff could have been easier. Also, I am not sure what the exact limitations of the demo are? (I do applaud the fact that there is a demo!)

• Haplo says:

“It’s fun, I think. It is very complicated, and some stuff could have been easier.”

For some reason I’m utterly unsurprised to see this in a comment about a Paradox game. In my experiences with their games, I spend a few hours-days-weeks learning how to play then ultimately lose months of time to it.

6. Nesetalis says:

Honestly.. i want to like all these age of sail games… but none of them compare to my boyhood love of Uncharted Waters: New Horizons on the SNES.
    new graphics, shiny, but the depth just isnt there, the feeling of exploration and adventure.. it just feels flat. Perhaps it is the fact that I have grown, and now the planet is a very small place with few secrets hidden from me. The internet has made it easy to explore from my chair.

Perhaps we need an age of sail game, set in space, but with the same vibe and wonder as the 1400s-1700s.

• Jimbo says:

The fact that your age of sail touchstone isn’t ‘Pirates!’ means that we can never truly be friends, and that’s a shame, but have you played Skies of Arcadia? It’s really quite wonderful.

7. Matthew Minix says:

Indeed, It’s amazing to me that there hasn’t been a game that has successfully competed with it =(

Comment on this story