GI Visit Bioware, Spy Some Dragon Age 2

By Jim Rossignol on July 27th, 2010 at 1:17 pm.

This video (below) from Game Informer’s visit to Bioware is clearly grossly unrepresentative of what the finished game is going to be like, but it does contain lots of chatter from the devs, and a brief glimpse of a battle going on in the new game engine. Not looking particularly finished, but it’s there nonetheless. It also demonstrates that games really are made by guys sat at desks, and not by cackling EA money-bots in a city of darkness in the caves beneath California.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. toni says:

i find the engine switch still weird.

2. Out Reach says:

The guys on monitors are all a front! The EA money-bots in a city of darkness in the caves beneath California work on!

3. poop says:

the graphics look a little better than in those dreadful early screenshots but this still looks way too much like a late gamecube game for them to be whipping it out in public

4. Lars Westergren says:

I like the 2D work and especially the audio.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Both of which are similar in style to Dragon Age. Which is a good thing, especially since the 2D will probably be used in the intro (among other places) and music, well, is everywhere.

5. Wulf says:

An amount of blood no body could really live without being spilled, a massive sword, a broody looking hero…

Hey, it’s Dragon Age: Sword of the Berserk!

…I can’t be the only one who thought that. It’s giving me massive flashbacks of Guts’ Rage on the Dreamcast.

6. Bleeters says:

I’m fairly certain the first game features enemies that would stealth mid fight then re-appear somewhere else. Or did I imagine that?

• Zenicetus says:

IIRC, the original had a rogue-type Darkspawn that would initiate a stealth attack, but it was normal melee combat after it de-cloaked next to you. I guess what’s new is the idea of a stealth retreat? Could be either interesting or frustrating, depending on how they do it.

I hope they manage to avoid the main thing that bothered me in the original: all that cookie-cutter combat filler. I understand why they need to use a limited number of what they’re calling archetypes here with the enemies — fighter, rogue, mage, etc. But for God’s sake, don’t make every combat sequence play out exactly the same way! It gets really boring. It will be twice as boring if your main character is locked into a fighter class that doesn’t have the additional tactical opportunities of a rogue or mage. They need to improve the AI and level design, so each fight can be different in some way.

• somnolentsurfer says:

According to the GI “facts about Hawke” report:

you won’t be able to select Hawke’s race. However, just because that one aspect of Hawke’s backstory is set doesn’t mean BioWare is eliminating character creation. You can still choose your class and customize your appearance.

So there will be no restriction to play a fighter class. The DA2 launch page also says you’ll be able to be a warrior, rogue or mage. Seems she’ll be just like Shepard – fixed name, but a character of your own creating.

7. somnolentsurfer says:

There’s really not much to see there, is there? If you can even hear it. The sound’s terrible. I hadn’t seen the wallpapers on the GI site though. Some of those are nice. I never understand why developers don’t make more wallpapers available of the beautiful concept art they produce.

8. Choca says:

I doubt this video is “grossly unrepresentative of what the finished game is going to be like” because said game is coming out in less than a year and because they wouldn’t be showing it if it was the case.

9. DrGonzo says:

Video doesn’t load for me. Anyone got another link?

10. Maxheadroom says:

me either. Tried IE and Chrome but then got bored and gave up.

Has someone gone done and broke something?

11. yeastcapp says:

I’m glad they’re reconsidering music direction. I found DA:O’s soundtrack to be awfully flat, with few moments to look forward to. Compare it to Mass Effect 2′s OST and, well, there’s just no comparison.

12. Hodge says:

Man, way to shatter my dreams. It’s like finding out the tooth fairy’s not real.

• Klaus says:

The tooth fairy is indeed real and the game is being made by evil robots. RPS is a bunch of grumpy faces, don’t let them ruin the magic.

• Wulf says:

You know… considering how incredibly vast and complicated the Universe is, including all its various layers and dimensions, it’s very likely true that anything the human mind is capable of imagining exists somewhere in a similar form, and that any form of creativity is tapping these other planes of existence for after-images of other realities.

I predict that in 4759, when they breach the barrier between such planes, there are going to be a lot of people pissed off at their parents for lying to them about the tooth fairy, who does actually exist, just not in their home reality.

Never know. :p

Living in something that’s still as massively complex and beyond our understanding (to the point where we have new theories to explain different aspects about it that disprove older theories all most every day) as the Universe is fun!

13. Jimbo says:

Thedas’ terrain appears to be about as exciting as a random Mass Effect 1 planet. Almost everywhere has been totally lifeless so far.

I get that they’re going for ‘grim’, but what they’re actually getting is ‘dull’. The Scottish Highlands are ‘grim’, but they’re also stunning. A decent weather system would work wonders for Thedas.

14. Coldwave says:

Cool Dead Space poster, Bioware.

15. Justin Keverne says:

So according to the text in the lower right the character used for the combat demonstration is called Garrett… Hmmm Tricksie.

16. FalseMyrmidon says:

I’m Commander Hawke and this is my favorite store in Denerim.

17. Toaster says:

Gah, doesn’t work for me… Anyone know of a dl link ?

18. whisperkwane says:

Wow about time..listen gamers…think about it…Tekken6 Eddy Gordo has less fighting moves of power then most of the characters…why…is it a reason for that…come now…you’ve played with Eddy or chirstie…they look good …but the power each has …sucks..no power punch…no downward power punch…no really low kick.. come on …what are the game makers saying…
    Whisperkwane@ swtlamb@yahoo.com…answer someone please…

Comment on this story