Gun Running, Gun Jumping: Teppoman 2

By Quintin Smith on July 28th, 2010 at 12:44 pm.

Softly softly catchee buckshot.

Oh, this is wonderful. And a month old. Nevermind! Japanese indie freeware dev Ikkiki, whose games are largely distinguished by little men without any trousers on, has released a sequel to espionage-acrobat platformer Teppoman (which Google Translates as The Slightest Man). You can grab it here- it’s the second game down on the list, the one with the release date of ’10/06/21′. You can find the controls here, and you can also read me jabbering excitedly about it after the jump.

This is the Spelunky school of platforming, basically. Teppoman 2 is fast-paced to the point of skittishness and overwhelmingly brutal, yet it’s so expertly put together that it begs to be mastered. Both Spelunky and Tep. 2 also focus on the use of items snatched off the ground, both build tension by threatening to send you all the way back to the start and both have their own method for softening the accompanying irritation.

This is where the similarities end, because while Spelunky was a randomised exploration type affair, Teppoman 2 offers levels like obstacle courses which you gradually learn to blitz as fast as possible using all of tiny Teppoman’s slick maneuveres.

There’s a wonderful catharsis to seeing yourself go rocketing through a level you’ve completed ten times before. There you are, effortlessly backflipping over walls you’d previously levelled with a bomb. There you go, gliding up to a group of guards and taking them all out with two blink-quick shotgun blasts. There it– NO! You got cocky and a guard took you out with a lazy spray from his rifle. Following ten seconds of breathing into a paper bag, you try again. For real, this time.

It’ll be a very rare breed of gamer that elbows their way through Teppoman 2 without ever wanting to see a guide, and the bosses that show up every five levels can be particularly frustrating. Lucky for the rest of us, then, that a search for Teppoman on YouTube provides walkthroughs for the whole game. Hooray! God, we’re such terrible gamers. Our parents would be ashamed.

Here’s those links to the game (second one down) and controls again. Man, there’s a lot of games on that download page. If one of you wants to try the rest of the games on there to see if there’s any gold and drop my an email with your findings, I’d be much obliged.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pakoito says:

Why do they love to use SHIFT as a major key when everybody knows that if you press it 5 times in 10 seconds you get that annoying stickykeys message? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGG

2. AndrewC says:

“Man, there’s a lot of games on that download page. If one of you wants to try the rest of the games on there to see if there’s any gold and drop my an email with your findings, I’d be much obliged.”

Keiron would never write that – this is bad, lazy journalism. Keiron would say he’d checked out all the others but they all seemed rubbish, then insult the mum of anyone who disagreed. Now that’s game journalism.

3. Oozo says:

Ah, Ikkiki! That name brings up fond memories of digging my teeth into the keyboard while playing “Ninkujin” – jeez, was that game hard as nails. And yet so satisfying once you mastered it (or, to be more accurate, mastered bits and pieces of a tiny section of a level before you died another gruesome death). It might have asked for micro-precise inputs,and the protagonist may have been only 16 pixels high, but damn me if I never felt more like a Ninja while playing a game.

I guess it was, because – to borrow Tim Roger’s term – that game had the most delicious sticky friction I experienced in a game, ever. Seems like this one is very much of the same design school. Naked Ninjas for the win!

4. Heliosicle says:

thank you chrome for auto translate!

5. pkt-zer0 says:

Derek Yu over at TIGsource once planned to play all of Ikiki’s games. Got through a fair amount of them, but not all.

There’s a game where you have to squirt poop all over the insides of a house. That one’s weird. Hakaiman is cool though, a top-down, 2D Metal Gear Solid type of affair.

• Plopsworth says:

Yes! +1 for Hakaiman. It is solid entertainment which finds its way onto every USB memory stick I have owned.

Pseudo stealthy top-down actioning. C-Dogs + Rainbow 6 terrorist hunt + destructo-scenery. The stealth isn’t really obnoxious, you just have to learn when to be really aggressive and efficient, lying in wait around the corner, out of the patrolling guards’ line of sight, waiting for the optimal moment to quickly rush in and distribute suppressed carbine double-taps or risk a neck-snap on a solitary guard. Ramboing works too sometimes. Bonus points for the persistent carnage left behind with corpses, splattered exit-wounds, shattered scenery and furniture telling its forsenic trail of the results of deliberately applied dosages of violence.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

So, how does this work, actually? I’ve worked out that: X shifts between hand-to-hand and rifle, SHIFT uses your main weapon (hands/rifle); where hands also pick up items, and that Z throws grenades when using hand-to-hand and reloads your rifle. But I’m not sure how to end the first ‘mission’.

Oh, and J is.. er.. self-eliminate.

6. Tiktaalik says:

I tried. I died.

7. Heliocentric says:

I’m just glad they got it out 11 years early.

8. Ian says:

I find it to be an eyeball-clawing exercise in frustration and yet I want to play it more. :(

9. El Stevo says:

Nikujin is very good, Quinns. 18th from the top, the one that is version 1.12.

10. D says:

“Teppo” – of course being the musket like weapon introduced by the Portuguese (or Dutch) in feudal Japan, around 1600(?)

• Heliocentric says:

So… gunman then?

• D says:

And now with wikipedia: “Tanegashima” (arquebus) was introduced by the Portuguese in 1543. “Teppō” or “Tetsuhō” (Iron Cannon) were of Chinese technology (as the inventors of gunpowder) much earlier, and only very basic metal tubes, used in Japan from around 1270.

11. gnodab says:

hm…
    am i the only one who gets an avira warning message about a “JOKE/BadJoke.Formatter.GM”?

i mean it is kind of hilarious, but avira doesn’t want me to play which is kind of sad.
    to complex emotions make a tantrum throwing dwarf.

12. Ayam says:

Teppo is how they’ve English-ified ‘teppou’ which means gun, not necessarily old guns like muskets, you could even call a magnum a teppou, so ‘gunman’ is a good translation.

13. BeamSplashX says:

The original Teppoman is also an excellent game. I actually like his similar games (Bimboman, Teppodon, Nikujin) less since they have less Bombastic Action Violence ™. Bimboman’s first level is bloody amazing, but the rest is jumping puzzle city, which I’m not into. Same for Teppodon. Nikujin’s tutorial clued me into the puzzley nature of it before making much headway into the game.

14. HermitUK says:

Talking of incredibly hard games, has the RPS Hivemind ever been made to play “I Wanna Be the Guy”? I could see that being rather amusing. For us, at any rate.

• aerozol says:

After tearing yourself apart on that one, you can rest happy in the knowledge that “I Wanna Be the Fangame” is just as great/ makes you throw yourself off things.
      I would like to see the ‘pros’ go for it though (;

15. Prettiest Boy on the Planet says:

Glad this lovely game is getting its due.

The list of controls linked from the article forgets to mention that you can walk or jump backwards by holding down and left/right.

Much as I love Teppoman 2, Nikujin is possibly even more brilliant. Everyone should experience its swan-diving ninja goodness. It can be found on the same list of games as “The National” if you use Google Translate.

Comment on this story