Killed It With Kisses: Kane & Lynch 2 Trailer

By Kieron Gillen on July 30th, 2010 at 10:48 am.

I am basically him.

Following the demo earlier in the week, Io are continuing their attempts to get everyone all worked up over the return of their burly men shooter with a new trailer. They’re not doing a bad job. The trailer’s a lot of fun, especially the ENORMOUS PINK LETTERS. Early word on this is actually impressively positive, with a “Best second iteration after a disappointing first game since Assasin’s Creed” sort of vibe. You can also pre-order at the moment at Steam to get 10% off, if you’re already sold. The trailer follows…

REAL MEN USE PINK

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Heliosicle says:

But.. AIR WICK HAS A MOTION SENSOR!

• JB says:

I like the way that the air freshener ad with the pleasant ladies is tacked on to the beginning of the trailer for an ultra violent, ultra hot-pink manshoot-fest like K&L2. As if my mum might be interested in the game, so they are going to try to get her to buy an air freshener so she can experience the nice scents while she blows up the Shanghai police with fire extinguishers. “Mmmmm cherry blossom and ylang ylang…die you pig bastards! Dakkadakkadakka!!!!”

I’ll have to ask her about K&L2 actually, Christmas is coming after all.

• Zogtee says:

What’s the point of that “Verify your age” nonsense before you can watch the video? I claimed I was born 1900, which would make me 110 years today.

2. OldRat says:

Hey! They totally did that wrong! When a character laments about “getting too old for this”, it’s supposed to be he who dies, not everyone else! You can’t just break the rules of the action genre.

• Ging says:

I can’t think of many characters who’ve promptly died after saying something similar, if anything it does tend to mean that they’ll kill everyone – Lethal Weapon is probably the prime example as a piece of entertainment media in the action genre.

• qrter says:

I can’t really think of any character outside of the Lethal Weapon films that says that line – without referencing Lethal Weapon, I mean.

• Schmitzkater says:

If anything, characters have to comment on their retirement in a few days/ after this mission to have a tangible chance to get shot.

3. kikito says:

I got a 3-minutes detergent advertisement before watching the video. Not only that, but it actually required me to click on a menu specifying my age and sex, or it wouldn’t go. WTF.

4. Kieron Gillen says:

And I’ve swapped the video, because that ad at the start was very silly.

KG

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

But now people wont vaguely wonder like I did if that lady was in Holby City some time in the past. You have deprived them!

5. LewieP says:

It’s actually much cheaper to get the (Steamworks) retail version than it is to get it on Steam, even with the 10% off:

6. BigglesB says:

Awwww……! I wanted to be sold an air freshener! Why wont you let me be, Kieron? WHY?!?!?!?!

7. l1ddl3monkey says:

This looks like fun, I hope it’s as mean and bleak as it looks cos I’m pretty fed up of being generic bio engineered hero against unstoppable odds. I’d quite like a game where I get to be a psychotic mass murdering nutjob.

8. Xercies says:

My god are they actually…having fun and putting jokes in there? That is a serious development i have to say. To many games take there selves to seriously now a days I’m glad some game is not.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I liked that the original Kane and Lynch was hard and gritty and serious.

Other games want to be “adult” but they’re not mature : /

9. yhancik says:

Psychotic Killer, qu’est-ce que c’est ?

10. Mac says:

In the Uk, why whould you buy from Steam at that price when Retail is so much cheaper? Steam is only competitive when it has sales on, and yet Retail is often still cheaper.

• frymaster says:

indeed, in steam-enabled games there really is no downside to buying retail

in non-steam games, for me it boils down to the difference in price vs the chance I’ll lose the disk

11. ZeroByte says:

I think the Chinese manufacturers are due for another recall. What have they been putting in those fire extinguishers! I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to put out fires, not, you know, start them.

12. Oak says:

Well that was a bit loud, wasn’t it.

13. Alexander Norris says:

The first game was mediocre in every way, but the narrative itself was quite good. I especially liked how they showed you Kane’s backstory rather than telling you it. I doubt I’ll get this until it drops to 5€ in four years’ time, but I’m at least looking forward to hearing more about it.

• whalleywhat says:

I tend to think games should be judged primarily on gameplay, while a worthwhile story is just gravy, but I thought the gameplay in K&L was at least passable enough (with m/kb) that it didn’t interfere with my enjoyment of the narrative. Some of the more enjoyable (not the same as likable) characters in scenes in a modern game.I think a lot of games suffer from seeming juvenile when they try to add shocking things to their game, but the original K&L is genuinely unsettling at times.

14. Cooper says:

I wonder what GT’s age demographcis look like. What with the majority of users born 01/01/1900?

15. triple_a says:

I liked the first game even though it was flawed. It even managed to impress a couple of times (nightclub, skyscraper rooftop). I did buy it at a greatly reduced price though.

16. Bas says:

Still can’t be bothered to like Kane and Lynch, it’s just trying too hard to be cool. I just clicked the link because of the Florence reference. You sir, are a man of great musical taste!

• sfury says:

Or a man of great taste for musical references?

(I’m not sure that makes sence, oh well…)

Anyway, nice trailer but I won’t be playing Kane & Lynch too. Dog days are over, we all know that.

17. Joe says:

If you played the demo, you will see that there is absolutely nothing to be impressed about here.

18. Tauers says:

Singler player demo it’s ok.

Multiplayer is unplayable: tons of lag, and you cant mute mics of other players, so you end up hearing “silenthillesque” background sounds :(

19. safetydank says:

The pink letters give off a vaguely Gaspar Noe/Enter the Void vibe.

20. Brendan says:

Everyone whose thinking of buying this might want to reconsider. The official Eidos forums are a flurry of complaints about crashes, lagging and non-working multiplayer.

It was a day one buy for me. I loved the first, despite it’s obvious flaws, and was looking forward to a more refined sequel. After downloading the demo for PC and finding out that it doesn’t work, it’s now been booted down to a bargain bin purchase.

Game just crashes on startup. After searching around for fixes, I managed to copy across some DLL files, which required renaming, and got the game to the main menu. Starting a game, though, crashed the game again. Tried everything from reinstalls, driver rollbacks, compatibility modes, etc. Nothing works.

Obviously it might not be the same for you, but I’d recommend trying the demo before purchasing the full game.

Sad, really. It looked like tons of fun.

• toro says:

To be or not to be … a wuss.

• Erm says:

Quite frankly I don’t think it should be taken lightly that developers nowadays push out unfinished shite and ask money for it.
      The last ultra-polished release that needed no further ado and patching that I felt was ultra-tight and sensibly done in it’s file-structure, too, was Prey.
      Say about the gamplay what you want, but the game was bugfree, ran nicely and used a handful of pak-files that were decently compressed and didn’t clutter the installation.

That should be a reference for all games.

But K&L is a console/PC hybrid, so you know it will be shite. Consoles, and I will never tire of pointing this out, lead to slop, shite and mediocre people getting to make and play games.

More PC elitism is needed again. High-end games for high-end gamers.

21. Psychopomp says:

Genuinely laughed at that final line.

22. PJMendes says:

I played the demo for this and loved it (not having played the first, due to no demo). The camera effects/style are amazing and refreshing, and the gameplay feels like Max Payne meets “Heat” (to me, Kane and Lynch feels a lot like a spiritual successor to Max Payne). I’m amazed this game is not gathering more interest and hype.

23. Radiant says:

Looks fun.
    Welcome back IO interactive.

24. Vinsanity says:

The developers are definitely trying their best to fix all the problems though. I sent in my dxdiag and msinfo to them and the next day they replied with a detailed solution to my specific problem and were ultimatley extremley helpfull.

25. Radiant says:

Ok so I just played through the demo [pon de xbox].

It’s really linear which in and of itself isn’t a bad thing. But it’s just that if you’re going to do linear then do it really well.

The cover system isn’t fluid [no move/slide to cover] and the movement itself is a bit stiff.
    It doesn’t show you where you are being shot from very well.
    The objectives are not clear so at times I had no idea where to go or what to do.
    There’s no melee; which usually keeps the fighting honest and at a distance but as it’s missing here you end up wanting to punch someone standing right in front of you but end up trying to aim and shoot at point blank.

The demo is also mind blowingly straight forward.
    Imagine call of duty 4′s pop up targets but with less moving around.
    Still it looks and sounds fantastic just a bit rough.
    GoW and COD4 are still the better shooters this, from the demo, is on par with say… that terminator salvation game but prettier.

26. Isometric says:

TRUST PINK. FORGET STAINS.

27. Seth says:

Played the demo on steam… it’s not very good. Just a formulaic corridor shooter. Possibly the most annoying implementation of shaky cam ever, it feels like I’m being followed around by some guy recording me on his camera phone or something. Please don’t spend a lot of time promoting this based on their cute pink trailer RPS.

28. bakaohki says:

ULTRA VIOLET

29. Poltergeist says:

Glad they got Michael Caine on board.

30. toro says:

Played the demo and to be honest, I’m not impressed. But despite clunky controls and obnoxious shaky camera, this game has something that is so rare today: anti-heroes within a pertinent context. Which is a much needed gasp of fresh air, in a market flooded with imbecilic heroes fighting for “greater than themselves” ideals. Anyway, this game seems to keep the good narrative from the first game, making it a must play for anyone that can enjoy a good story.

31. Shadowcat says:

My age is “January 1 1914″. No, I don’t know what that means either.

• sfury says:

I am appaled none of these age-checking sites let a person born before 1900 view their videos, what awful discrimination against the elderly/undead gamers!

32. Ben says:

@Radiant: Although the AI *can* act a bit like a pop-up target in places, in some sections it will also try to flank you and move from cover to cover (especially if you have shredded the cover it’s hiding behind). Maybe this is more noticeable when you set the difficulty to hard?

I’ve played through the demo a few times and the AI does react quite differently depending on what you do.

Also, the “take hostage” button seems like a reasonable replacement for melee – although it’s hard to get close enough to make it work.

Comment on this story