Can We Refuse Mafia II Footage?

By Jim Rossignol on August 2nd, 2010 at 9:50 pm.

It seems pretty clear that Mafia II is going to be one of those games where the publisher-released assets are going keep on coming until they flood the internet, burying life as we know it under a series of informative or excitingly-edited game footage clips featuring well-dressed men doing violence. (Because, if you hadn’t already realised, dudes are going to get shot.) This latest trailer is probably my favourite so far, because it’s not spoilering so much as just leaping from event to event. It’s also reminding me that I need to nip over and see John to get a glimpse of the thing in action. If you want to see what he thought about the early preview build, go have a read of this handsome preview.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. PiP says:

Other than the HDR hurting my eyes, it looks pretty damn sweet.

2. Karthik says:

It’s nice to see a game about men not wearing armor or bulletproof vests, for a change.

3. Heliosicle says:

“Hey you know that game Mafia 2 thats coming out? DON’T FORGET ABOUT IT.”

4. Klaus says:

This game…

There better be multiple classes, selectable genders/races and romances. And dialogue trees with multiple endings! Stats too!

Also the streets are very empty.

• Vandelay says:

You do know what Mafia is right? I think you might be disappointed.

Unless this is a case of Internet sarcasm failing on me.

5. Jimbo says:

The ‘Kick in the Head’ trailer they just released for this is fabulous.

6. Alexander Norris says:

I have such fond memories of Mafia. I’m very much looking forward to this.

7. Risingson says:

Oh damn, that nose. I really love those noses in men.

Risingson, who is realizing that he *really* needs some love lately

8. oldFox says:

And this is the console version! Imagine the pc version…

9. Freud says:

I don’t think I have been looking forward to a game as much as this for years. But I am a drooling Illusion Softworks fanboy. Hidden & Dangerous is still one of my top five gaming experiences.

10. Vandelay says:

This is looking great. John’s preview left me a little deflated, but it still looks like this will be a solid game, even if it isn’t quite the dream game I’ve been waiting for since playing the original Mafia. I really liked the section where the player was walking through the war time city, with planes flying overhead. So many other games wouldn’t dare do simple atmosphere building pieces in that style (like the piece where you had to walk the daughter of one your mob friends home in the first game.)

I do hope some of those scenes were on Developer Easy Mode though. There were a few times where he seemed to be able to survive quite a pummeling, which would never have happened in the original. The (slightly) more realistic combat was one of the things that made the first game such a tense experience.

Also, did I see one of the mission objectives say “follow Luca”? Wasn’t Luca the character in the original game, who dealt in the luxury cars?

11. Navagon says:

Hell yeah!

12. AirborneGamer says:

It is truly nice to see a shooter like this. God knows I love a more standard run and gun FPS, but a change of style is always welcome.

13. JohnnyMaverik says:

Kayne & Lynch 2 is just as guilty of this video flooding. Personally I’m still very much 50/50 on both, looking forward to playing the Mafia II demo though, if it comes out for pc that is, which hey, it probably won’t.

14. MartinNr5 says:

I wasn’t all the excited about Mafia II when it was announced but it has certainly grown on me and that trailer sold it to me even more.

Will be giving it a try for sure.

15. Hax says:

Steam = do not want, sorry Mafia2, your choice

16. Kadayi says:

Agree with the comments that the population level looks a little barren, but otherwise the game world looks stellar. Illusion softworks always excelled with fantastic environmental texture work (both the original Mafia & H&D2 still hold up pretty well today) and it’s good to see that the transition to 2K Czech hasn’t impacted negatively on that. Gamewise I suspect we are probably in for another reworking of atypical Mafia cultural clich├ęs, rather than anything innovative, but what the hell.

17. sfury says:

Awwww, splendid!

18. Plopsworth says:

Looks very nice. I would only gripe about the parked car spontaneously exploding from a slightly extended tommygun-burst. I too hope that the combat is as brutal as the original (2-5 bullets kills both you and enemies). No one need worry about the PhysX crap since this is going to be a multiplatform release for consoles too. It can’t be anything too integral and I’m sure the bullet-impacts will kick up plenty of dust blossoms and environments will shatter only slightly less spectacularly without a PhysX processor.

+1 to ye olde Illusion Softworks fanclub.

• Plopsworth says:

Going off on a tangent, one of the more interesting things that H&D 2 did, and which is pretty unique in an action/tactical game (except for SWAT, proper R6, Soldier of Fortune… I guess) would be enemies who surrender. SS and Japanese rarely ever surrendered, Wehrmacht sometimes, Italians often did. Benefits included being able to strip their uniforms so you could disguise yourself (non-fatal injuries to limbs apparently didn’t splatter the uniform).

You could summarily execute them afterwards if you so wished (I felt pretty bad for violating the Geneva conventions a few times by plugging them in the forehead with the Webley revolver and watching them flop over, but they *had* shot my medic to bits… and that one time I did it out of child-like morbid curiosity). It brought moral questions to the forefront with just a few lines of situational-awareness/morale code (lone sentry turns around to find grim SAS chap pointing an automatic in your face with a questioning expression, optionally delivering an encouraging knee-capping). Adhere to the rules of war, despite never expecting any mercy and operating outside the rules yourself (hostile actions/espionage in disguise?).

19. stress ball says:

If you want to start your business with some daily used items, here is the site you need to check. It offeres many products like wholesale umbrella, wholesale pen and stress ball ect.
    Under each product section, there are some detailes classification. For wholesale umbrella, there are paper umbrella, aluminum umbrella. For wholesale pen and stress ball, there are also some detailed classifications.