Colony Irrigation: Victoria 2 Goes Gold

By Quintin Smith on August 3rd, 2010 at 11:53 am.

You know, I wouldn't mind playing a comprehensive butler simulator.

We are not amused. But we will be, soon! Paradox Interactive’s new political simulator, Victoria 2 (the sequel to their 2003 title Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun), has just gone gold, and it’s coming out on August 13th. Seems like it’ll provide more of that Europa Universalis style no-frills strategy, but with a few neat additions, like two countries colonising a province at the same time and engaging in a non-violent battle for influence. Mm! Features list and trailer after the jump.

Features:
• Deep engrossing political simulation with dozens of different governments.
• Detailed economy with over fifty different types of goods and various production factories.
• Advanced Technological system with thousands of inventions to discover.
• Improved graphics and interface, as well as multiplayer support.
• A streamlined interface makes the game easily accessible.
• Automation of various tasks including, trade and population promotion.
• Advanced spheres of influences system, where the great powers battle over the control of the world.
• Cottage production simulating pre-industrial economies.
• Gunboat Diplomacy, no need for negotiating as a fleet outside a port may be a more persuasive argument.
• Historical and Dynamic events guiding your country through the history.
• Over 200 different countries can be played, during the era stretching from 1835 to the onset of WWII.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Janek says:

Hooray!

In the past few years I’ve completely forgotten the intricacies of the original. No doubt it’ll take me another few months to learn :(

Will be waiting for a price drop anyway, and for the inevitable first-release bugs to be ironed out.

2. Stijn says:

And what about that WoW magazine review? Huh? Huh?

3. Gothnak says:

See, i’m a huge stat head. I love my Total War, Age of Wonders, Master of Magic, Civ etc, i play complex board games at lunch every day, i’ve finished every version of Moria, Angband, Zangband, TOME…

But every time i have tried to play any of the games using this engine and style i have absolutely no idea what to do. I try making an army and attacking a weak region near me and i get slaughtered.

It’s very rare that a game makes me feel stupid, and tbh, i don’t like it. I don’t know how anyone has enough patience to get good at this.

• Alexander Norris says:

You know, all you need to do to understand EU/Victoria/HoI is read the manual, right?

I know that we, as a society, no longer consider the ability to read more than one page of text something critical to success but really, it’s the manual. Its purpose is to explain the game to you. If you read it, the game is suddenly playable. Might I suggest you try reading it instead of complaining that the game is too hard? If you’d at least been complaining that the in-game tutorials in most Paradox games actually don’t work you’d have a point, but complaining that having failed to understand the game at a glance you gave up instead of reading the thing the sole purpose of which is to tell you how to understand the game is more than a little silly.

• Gothnak says:

I was usually trying out the X turn demos, like the Hearts of Iron ones, and i didn’t get a nice paper manual when i downloaded that.

Also i rarely buy boxed versions anymore.

Total War has a LOT of detail in it, but it all makes sense, maybe i’m just thick…

• Jae Armstrong says:

@ Alexander Norris

That’s not really fair. Paradox’s game manuals are hilariously out of date even at release. Much better way to learn the games is to talk to the forums or read the wikis. Though this time around they seem to have invested in an in depth tutorial this time around. Hopefully it’ll be better than HOI3′s “tutorial”.

• Plopsworth says:

I think the point may be more about the sandboxyness concept of the game? It’s not a direct totalwar-domination type of game, as there are usually other ways of exerting your influence than armed conflict. The idea is that you build up your power, set your own goals and try to fulfill them and hopefully encountering an interesting narrative (Switzerland becomes a continental power and a major colonial player with its new North Sea ports!) since complete world conquest/domination is pretty much impossible. More like a The Sims, but with nation-states.

• Jae Armstrong says:

@Gothnak

Total War? Detail? Whut. I’ll admit the last game in the series I played was Mediaeval 2, but unless Empire introduced drastic changes the strategic layer is a joke.

• jRides says:

@Gothnak

It took me like three attempts to finally get my head around the HOI series, and it turned out to be as amazing as everyone keeps insisting. What helped the most reading AARs, there are the occasional tutorial AAR on the paradox forums.

I would say take the plunge, maybe with Arsenal of Democracy (which is superb), – its pretty cheap and try with the full version rather than a demo, I think because the game appears so obtuse you’ll never get your head around something if your just unsure that such a feature exists or it does exist but its not in the demo..

I think what finally clicked it for me was suddenly realising that the economy was already there – it didnt need any input from me, all that apparent micromanagement and depth was entirely ignorable, in fact when you get right down to brass tacks there really was not much to HOI. It looks far, far more complex than it actually is, you can delve into its intrinsics if you so wish (and you will eventually) – but its not required to start enjoying the game – just build stuff and make it go kill other stuff, the rest you’ll get the hang of but its not important to start with.

• Ragnar says:

Read some of the Beta AAR:s (or some of the AAR:s of the other games):

It’s great for learning about Victoria 2.

• Snall says:

Frankly I find this baffling. However, I have been playing these games since EU1, but I don’t really find them very complex…secure your economy/allies, slowly conquer high value/low threat areas…maybe you should get in a MP game and get some pointers (MP games are probably a LOT more dangerous but very fun and you can talk to very experienced players)

4. Nakki says:

Sadly like all Paradox games lately, it will probably be nearly unplayable or atleast rather awful until they release an expansion or two.

Equally sadly I will still buy it since no other company makes anything even nearly similiar.

• Alexander Norris says:

Much like every title in the Total War series, every title in Paradox’s Europa Universalis/Hearts of Iron line is so broken as to be unplayable at release and isn’t worth buying until they start releasing the edition that bundles in the expansions.

So really, Victoria 2′s actual release date will be in two or so years.

5. NetsukeMonkey says:

Thank God I’m not the only one! Perhaps we should form a therapy group?

6. NetsukeMonkey says:

@Gothnak that was meant for

7. Xercies says:

I kind of like these games but they are so complicated and give you all this information at one go which makes your head explode. And you kind of have to spend mnths learning the game, and you having no idea whether your “winning” or not. i don’t think I have time for that. I played hearts of iron and i couldnt even figure out how to put people on boats so navel invasions were off the menu lol.

8. oceanclub says:

Will The Fall do the music?

9. jsdn says:

Looks like a game that could suck away what’s left of my soul until I realize how broken the mechanics are and then feel depressed for spending so much time learning it.

Oh well.

10. Carra says:

I enjoyed Paradox lightweight Majesty 2 pack. And bought the Europa Universalis games in the Steam deals. I’ll have to try that out to see if I have the patience to enjoy these kinds of games.

• Ginger Yellow says:

“I’m surprised to see that a company can still exist who releases mostly hardcore strategy games. There must be a big market for them but who plays these games?”

Hardcore strategy gamers, of course. There are tons of them in Germany, and enough elsewhere to support a niche publisher like Paradox.

11. HHPP says:

It is the way EU literally rolls a die to decide battle outcomes…

It needs EU’s civilizations, its people, and diplomacy options to be joined with Total War’s battlefields. Oh, and why not add Civilization’s slicker interface, better tech tree, city management, and time-span; Scourge of War’s order delivery system, etc.

12. fabamatic says:

I enjoy EU but I can’t play Hearts of Iron (didn’t try HoI 3), I feel that the game is too complex and has too much micromanagment for the grand scope of the game, also…eemm… Russia has too many provinces!. I never played the original Victoria, is the gameplay “halfway” beetween EU and HoI?

• Jae Armstrong says:

Weeell… the original Victoria was by far the most complex of the three (not help by a truly abysmal interface). The sequel? Well, no one can say for sure until it’s released and we’ve had a chance to get to grips with it.

But. The byword of the development process has been “macromanagement”. Most of what made the original so complex seems to have streamlined or automated. The cause of most of the micro in the original was finessing your population; splitting and promoting POPs (that is to say, migrating population units between socio-economic classes), encouraging immigration to various parts of the country, etc.; this is all automated now, with the player excercising control at a much higher level. Splitting POPs has been eliminated entirely.

Actually, when the reviewer for Out of Eight recently offered his early impressions he actually criticised the game for leaving too little for the player to do. Though I have to say if it’s a choice between doing nothing and mindless busywork I’d rather do nothing. ;)

13. Vadermath says:

Ha! ! Paradox has stated a few months ago on their forums that they’ve learned from their mistakes, and substantial (external and internal) beta testing has been going on for a long time. The most respected members and players of the forum have been given beta access, and they state that the game’s pretty stable even in preview build. A few previews state the same.

I burned myself with HOI3 (too much work to be fun, IMHO), but this one seems a good one.

14. Tomhet says:

>A streamlined interface makes the game easily accessible.

hahahahaha oh wow

Definitely going to get this.

Easily accessible, that’s a good one!

• Jae Armstrong says:

:p

“Accessible” might be a stretch, but to compared to the “interfaces” that blighted the old Europa engine (EU1&2, CK, Vicky 1), Paradox’s recent interface design is some kind of glorious God-given gift from above. I wouldn’t be surprised if the relevant design documents were delivered from on high by a choir of angels.

15. rei says:

‘Colony Irrigation’ made me laugh pretty hard, but I’m very tired.

16. qx says:

One day I’m going to get into them games.

17. rhizo says:

Finally, just pre-ordered on Gamer’s Gate. My all time favorite game is finally getting a sequel and from the dev diaries and beta-AARs it seems to be a good one. The original was horribly buggy at release but whether this one is a bit broken or not, one can trust the community to improve it pretty quickly. Looking at the mod forums I can see a lot of potential. Not to mention VIP is surely picking up the history side of things eventually.

18. cw8 says:

I love Hearts of Iron series and might check into Vicky 2.

Anyways, the CEO of Paradox has promised, sometime last year, to shave his head if Victoria 2 ever makes money:
    Vicky 2 Profit Equals Shaves Head

19. Jae Armstrong says:

Nice to see this getting coverage on RPS. Dare we hope for a Wot I Think? I wait with bated breath.

Quinns! I remember your attempt at EU3. Did you manage to get to grips with the game, in the end?

20. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I’m pretty excited for this, didn’t realize it was coming out so soon.

I played Vicky 1 and got just enough of it to take mostly isolated countries with lots of potential to the top through (mostly) non-violence. My two best games were China and Japan, fighting off the Western imperialists (and getting very lucky with events in Japan) and then going pro-capitalist and building a nation of beautiful railroads.

Then I got EU3 and I haven’t looked back because I mostly understand what’s going on in EU3 even if I’m still mostly pants at it.

21. Pijama says:

Actually, if any of you folks follow the development of the game in the paradox fora, it is apparently shaping up to become their best release yet. Professional beta testing, care for ease of play etc etc

And considering that my favourite grand strategy game is the first Victoria, I am positively excited :D

(and if you played the first and look to the interface now, IT IS GLORIOUS, I tell you.)

22. Hurr says:

Cool, now we’re just 18 months of highly critical, gamebreaking-bug-fixing (and/or buy-addon-for-patching years) away of being able to actually play Victoria ( / a Paradox Sim release).

Yay.