Hurrah/Bah: Fable III Grumblenews

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2010 at 9:24 am.

Yesterday revealed that Fable III has a web-based Villager Maker, which allows you, yes YOU, to design villagers that could find their way into the full game. What a clever idea. (And saving someone some work, I should think…) However, if you’re planning to play the game on PC then you will be waiting an indeterminate amount of time longer to see said villagers, due to the PC version of game being delayed from the original October 26th date. MS say we should expect more detailed news on the PC version soon.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Choca says:

People care about Fable ?

• Okami says:

• Aemony says:

Definitely. Fable 1 was amazingly good on the PC and I’m quite happy to see the third game make its way unto the PC as well. Seeing as it comes from Microsoft we will most likely be able to use the 360 controller if they fail on keyboard and mouse.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yup, the first game was lovely and the second was even lovelier.

Shame about the delay, I was going to switch back to the PC for Fable 3 but it looks like I’ll be playing it on the consoletoy after all.

phlebas says:

So Fable III will be on PC, having skipped a generation? I really haven’t been keeping up.

• Alexander Norris says:

Yes, but apparently sold only through GfWL’s store.

So expect it to sell miserably poorly among people who know their way around the Internet.

• radomaj says:

If a person doesn’t know their way around the Internet, I doubt they would have much luck navigating (or even accessing) the GfWL store.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yes, but apparently sold only through GfWL’s store.

As far as “digital distribution” goes, yeah. But it’s also available through yer Amazons, Plays, Games and etcs.

• Rich says:

@Man Raised By Puffins
      TRUE. For some reason the misconception that it won’t be available in retail stores isn’t going away easily.

• DrGonzo says:

Well it won’t be available in any shops in my town I’m sure. Nottingham doesn’t have anywhere with a decent PC games selection anymore. I suppose there is PCWorld but they charge insane prices.

• Rich says:

play.com? I’m pretty sure they deliver anywhere in the UK.
      Even Nottingham.

• Zogtee says:

Play will deliver to the depths of Hell, as long as you can provide an adress.

3. ZIGS says:

This was expected, really. See every game by Ubisoft as of late

4. rocketman71 says:

Silverlight. Blegh.

Fucking Microsoft, always the same shit.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

THIS!
      Wouldn’t hurt them if they used normal FLASH…

• Rich says:

- This page requires a newer version of Silverlight
      Fine, install Silverlight
      – Unable to install Silverlight
      – Another product is already installed
      …sigh

• Daniel Rivas says:

So… Is Silverlight actually worse than Flash?

Quite an achievement.

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve never had a problem with Silverlight. Now Flash crashes in Chrome all the time.

5. Davian says:

Feel free to delay this trash even more.

6. Larington says:

When I did a pre-order for the PC version of the game on play.com I didn’t get any indication of a pre-order code for use in the village maker. So either there’s been a frakk up in the process somewhere, or the village maker code thingy only applies to 360 versions of the game.

???

oceanclub says:

Wait – so Microsoft are specifically delaying the game that appeared to the lynchpin of their Games for Windows Live shop relaunch?

P.

• Mac says:

Yep – they are that shit !

oceanclub says:

“A: In terms of revenue, Windows is far and away the largest gaming platform in the world, so it’s an incredibly important part of Microsoft’s business. From core games like “Fable III” to casual, social and Facebook titles, more gaming happens on Windows than anywhere else. Windows 7 is a world-class gaming platform, and you can bet Microsoft has a vested interest in using it as a platform for amazing first party content. “Fable III” on Windows as well as Xbox 360 this holiday is a great first step, and we’ll have more news for you later this summer.”

These words now ring more hollow that old thighbones used as wind-chimes in Sleepy Hollow.

P.

8. robrob says:

Do they call you Harry Handface because you have hands for a face?

9. Butler` says:

What an incredibly clever little ploy.

P7uen says:

The villagers in Black & White 2 were named after the staff that worked on the game.

I thought that was a nice touch since I was one of them, so that I could make my creature poo on my own head.

And in the game etc etc.

11. Rich says:

The picture of the face you selected looks a lot like Patrick Stewart. Shame the model doesn’t.

• Rich says:

Where are my manners?
      That’s Sir Patrick Stewart.

• Bhazor says:

Actually thats exactly how Sir Patrick Hewes Stuart dresses when he goes out on the pull.

• BooleanBob says:

Thought it looked a lot more like wossname off the Crystal Maze. Gods rest his soul.

12. James Benson says:

Hey, I work for Lionhead and just wanted to let you guys know that this feature has totally not saved anyone here work :p, bunch of people worked really hard to make this thing happen b/c we thought it would be cool for players.

PEACE

• robrob says:

James Benson, lead writer.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Man, sorry. It must suck having to release your games with that GfWL garbage all over them. It’s a shame really, I’ve always wanted to play the Fable series, but never quite managed it. I pretty much bought the first Xbox to play Fable, but the game was delayed so long I no longer had it by the time it came out. Would love to play this one, but would obviously like to play the first two first. Would pick them both up in a shot if they were on some decent PC download service.

13. Alez says:

So they delayed the first game on the pc, they didn’t even release the second and now they’re delaying the third on the pc again?? No…just, no…fuck this game. I don’t care how good it may be, the people in management need to have a keyboard shoved up their asses.

P.S. I don’t mean you mister james benson. I see you said you worked there but i assume you have no control over these dick moves. Although if you do play a part in this….oil up that keyboard partner(spoken with a Tychus voice, from starcraft).

14. Shadow Aspect says:

Good to hear from you. Since you’re reading, able to comment on if this Design-a-villager jobbie applies to the PC version?

AndrewC says:

FUCK EVERYONE IN LIONHEAD! APART FROM THAT ONE, WHO IS NICE.

HELLO MR NICE MAN FROM LIONHEAD, CAN I MAKE YOU SOME TEA?

16. BigJonno says:

So a delay on the PC version is a sure sign of PC-hating or terrible management and not, for example, just another example of the problems that crop up with dozens of games every year? Right. It just so happens that I have a lovely line of tinfoil hats that you may be interested in.

oceanclub says:

“So a delay on the PC version is a sure sign of PC-hating or terrible management and not, for example, just another example of the problems that crop up with dozens of games every year?”

Sure, it’s possible, but let me repeat; Microsoft were explicitly advertising this game as their reboot of gaming on the Windows platform. The “first big step”. So, if on the first step they’ve managed to fail utterly, what exactly does that say about their reboot?

• Jetsetlemming says:

When Valve for example has to delay one of their platform versions of a title, they delay all versions to keep the launches together. L4D2 was done on 360 before PC, it was held so that the titles could launch together. Bioware held Dragon Age like six months or something so the console ports could be finished and all three platform versions released together. Microsoft not maintaining platform parity, even when they own both platforms, should tell you all you need to know about their claims to be re-re-re-recommitted to PC gaming.

17. somnolentsurfer says:

Hang on. Maybe you get more stuff to choose from if you’ve got a pre-order code, but three faces? Really? That’s hardly a character generator now, is it?

18. pakoito says:

What I don’t like about Fable is the crappy combat/magic system. I couldn’t care less if my PJ wears a hat or a duck but I wanna fucking personalize my magic book hardcore style, which I can’t in Fable because they have 10 “standard” spells.

And pretty much the same as a warrior/shooter.

19. Freud says:

Didn’t enjoy the first one and I loathe GfWL, almost as much as I do Ubisofts DRM. So most likely I will pass this one up at release and if it turns out well, I suppose I will hear about it.

20. Davie says:

You know what this means…
    What happens when games not originally for the PC have their release dates delayed?
    Insane-o-DRM, kiddies! They’ll probably manage to come up with something worse than GFWL.

21. TheApologist says:

Oh look Microsoft are dicking around with a PC release.

Shocker.

• Vinraith says:

Well, it’s kind of shocking tah they have a PC release to dick around with I suppose…

22. Junior says:

Ugh, whatever, you want to dick about with PC gamers with shitty GFWL and arbitrary delays, fine.

Just don’t come back acting all shocked when PC gamers don’t flock to you and start throwing money at you, we’re not morons, we can tell when you’re treating us like them and we don’t apreciate it.