Japanese Gamers Vs ???

By Alec Meer on August 3rd, 2010 at 8:19 pm.

If you looked at the filename you cheated

What do you suppose these frowning folk are unhappy about?

I’m going to have to tease you. I’m sorry. But you’ll like it. Hint: it’s not that they’re all wearing exactly the same clothes.

Courtesy of the tireless Andriasang, here’s what those placards read:

“A game where you just follow the scenario is like living life on rails.”

“What’s the point of playing again if there’s no change to the story.”

“When did games become something that you watch?”

“I think it would be nice if the main character had a mission aside from just wiping out evil.”

And finally, from Tiny McBeard at the front, “The world has been prepared. After that, you’re free to do as you please!”

Whatever could they be talking about? Why, with all those attractive, well-dressed young people, it couldn’t possibly be for something as skanky as a post-apocalyptic RPG…

Oh! Guess it is.

It’s perhaps not the most salient or final word on J-RPGs vs W-RPGs, but the Roger Rabbit rule saves it from being empty antagonism.

Fascinating that this is how Bethesda elect to market Fallout: New Vegas too – go for the nerve rather than try to sell the universe. I don’t know if this kind of playful swiping is common in Japan, but I suspect it’ll prove quite the talking point if not. What with it being a big fat American company attacking some of Japan’s videogame culture mainstays and all that.

It would be nice if the main character had a mission aside from just wiping out evil, though.

I’m hoping to snag a good look at New Vegas at GamesCom later this month, by the way. I SHALL BRING YOU WORDS.

, .

1. Jeremy says:

I love words.

2. Daniel Rivas says:

So, we’re not wiping out evil in this game, then?

I dunno, I wiped out quite a lot of it in the other Fallouts.

• Hidden_7 says:

Yeah, but your initial quest was never to wipe out evil. That was just sort of something that developed along the way.

Also, do we know much about the plot of New Vegas? I mean, yeah, it’s probably about you wiping out some evil, but it is from Obsidian, featuring Chris Avellone of Torment fame. No wiping out evil in that one. Lightning has GOT to strike twice eventually, hasn’t it?

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve always been a horrible bastard in Fallout games.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I think what we know is that you are a courier who gets their package nicked, and has to chase after it. Also, factions.

Doesn’t quite have the snap of “Find Liam Neeson”, but I’m still looking forward to this one. Hopefully Obsidian will manage to finish a game this time, and the death of Alpha Protocol was not in vain.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Gonzo: Yeah, but, even as an evil character you still seem to do an awful lot of nastiness-wiping.

• Fumarole says:

I was such a bastard in Fallout 3 that the sheriff to whom you can turn in bandit scalps/fingers (I think those are the correct groups/body parts) and his crew would run from me on sight even when attempting to turn in said scalps/fingers.

• Jambe says:

@Daniel Rivas: so what? Not every enemy of an enemy is a friend. Ethically unsavory characters don’t have to cooperate; in a universe like Fallout, they probably have more incentives not to. Post-apocalyptic scenarios tend to highlight the more divisive, competitive elements of people anyway, so you’d expect more “moral gray area” and Machiavellianism in Fallout, wouldn’t you? And higher stakes all-around?

3. Andy says:

Hmm….I want to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit now

4. mandrill says:

Can we not have cookies instead?

5. Jimmy says:

so, I understand “Japanese Gamers vs. ?????” but I’d like to know who the ?????? are that are holding the signs… You never did say.

• Bobsy says:

Models. Models who have just lost their contract to do more GAP adverts, apparently.

6. ReV_VAdAUL says:

So then Obsidian release a buggy unfinished game and JRPG fans are vindicated? Sound plan.

• Rob says:

Well if there is one studio that can release buggy, unfinished games as well as Bethesda does its Obsidian!

• sfury says:

Touche.

Also – better story.

7. whalleywhat says:

Treat Japanese gamers to a walking simulator where you choose “head” out of a menu every once in a while. They’ll run screaming to their copies of Demon’s Souls and Valkyria Chronicles.

• Jimbo says:

Or simply replace ‘head’ with ‘attack’ and you’ll have a best-seller.

• whalleywhat says:

The most bare-bones, basic JRPG combat system ever created has more strategic nuance than VATS.

• Manley Pointer says:

But replace “head” with “eyes” and it becomes brilliant turn-based combat!

• Wulf says:

@whalleywhat

This is both true and not true, according to my experiences.

If we’re talking about strategy games, like Shining Force and Disgaea, then there’s a lot of truth there. if, however, we’re talking about games like the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series, then they’re pretty much just a glorified game of rock, paper, scissors, and not more advanced than VATS in any way.

I say this as someone who’s played his fair share of Japanese RPGs, and most of the non-strategy combat systems are either action-based (which are fun, but not strategic) or rock, paper, scissors stuff. Which is, to be frank, more than a bit crap. At least some of them were bonkers though*, which was a redeeming feature.

* I remember Star Ocean II for this. Wherein, you could tell a mage character to do physical fighting, and suddenly she’d become a master of kickboxing, and you could give a massive book to a little boy, who’d proceed to hit big monsters with it and do massive damage.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I think you’re selling that Dragon Quest-ey combat system a bit short. Also, VATS for me did amount to clicking “head” a lot, or perhaps “chest”. I didn’t think VATS was especially bad, but it needed more reason for shooting things in the legs and arms.

In any case, I found, on the PC, Fallout 3 to have perfectly serviceable FPS controls, so I seldom used VATS at all.

• thebigJ_A says:

I’m sorry, but Demon’s Souls combat was very Western. Almost more western than western devs usually make, if that makes any sense.

I hate JRPGs. I LOVED Demon’s Souls. Nuff said.

8. MWoody says:

Ha! How strange: just yesterday I was having this discussion with a friend re: our dislike for many JRPGs and their persistent failure to embrace emergent gameplay. A Japanese ad is the last place I expected to see my statements so soon mirrored.

9. Aubrey says:

They look like they’ve all found these signs left around, and they’re really unhappy about it because they really like J-RPGs.

10. Aubrey says:

I am also pretty allergic to J-RPGs, but I will say that Disgaea has some great game play. But it’s almost closer to Advance Wars than Final Fantasy, so maybe it doesn’t quite fit dead center in the JRPG genre.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Aye, more of a strategy game, really. Dragon Quest IX came out recently, and I’m finding that very enjoyable. Very happy game, but periodically very melancholy. It’s fun, and seems far less linear than you might expect. I’d almost go so far as to describe it as… open world? Not quite, but almost.

I dunno, I also find that Dragon Quest sort of battle system far more enjoyable than, say, Dragon Age’s. Much faster as well.

• MWoody says:

I couldn’t help but feel Disgaea was a casual game that just refused to end. I really liked the item world, though; procedural generation is a huge step in the right direction.

• NegativeZero says:

Disgaea belongs to a different RPG subgenre to JRPGs, though admittedly there’s some blurring of the edges between the two. It’s what’s called a SRPG (Simulation RPG) in Japan, and usually ‘Stragety RPG’ or ‘Tactical RPG’ in western circles. Stuff like FF Tactics, Fire Emblem, Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, Super Robot Wars, maybe X-Com at a stretch, though it plays more at the strategy end of the pool than it does RPG.

11. Shinryoma says:

Zing!!

Or it would be if WRPGs weren’t dumbed down to hell thanks to consoles.

• FunkyBadger says:

Hurrah! You win the “dumber down for consoles” prize for this thread. Congratulations!

Wonder who will be the first to utter this in other threads!!!

• CTA says:

Don’t worry, poppet. We have mods. That’s more than enough to fuel every PC gamer’s superiority.

(Also why did my Captcha have a pi in it? I can’t type that)

12. Gritz says:

Are you sure they’re not protesting the Mass Effect series?

13. Freud says:

Do they even market it as a game about what happens after a nuclear war in Japan? Is that a sensitive issue over there?

• Daniel Rivas says:

I think Fallout 3 had the Megaton quest line censored, so you could only save the town.

Also, in India the two-headed cows were excised, as I remember.

Fun facts!

• sfury says:

Also I clearly remember half a dozen animes (Akira for sure) that have a nuclear blast in them so i guess it is not such an sensitive issue there. Plus it’s the US that’s bombed into oblvion (ah the awful puns, save me!) this time so they might like it. ^_^

• pipman300 says:

also in final fantasy legend nukes are regular bomb type items. you can nuke everything, you can nuke god. but it’s easier to carve through his skull with a chainsaw.

• Karthik says:

@Daniel: I picked Fallout 3 off an Indian store, and the two headed cows were intact.

• Dominic White says:

I recall reading that all the major Japanese gaming blogs/forums were full of people complaining about the ridiculous censorship that Fallout 3 got. It just didn’t make any sense. It seemed like a business decision made by a bunch of Americans afraid of offending delicate foreign sensibilities.

Something to remember: Nerds are nerds. They’re a universal constant. There really is very little difference between groups from one country and another.

14. Wolfox says:

I loved the title on the image. “If you looked at the filename you cheated” ;-)

• Chris says:

…except it’s actually alt-text, which Chrome doesn’t display as the devs say it breaks the spec – you’re supposed to use “title=” instead, like XKCD do. Won’t someone think of the Chrome users? ;o)

• jalf says:

and the Firefox users.

I know it’s been brought up before. Is it technically a big problem to just specify title=”" instead of alt=”" because of the blog software or something?

• Chris says:

I couldn’t find a technical contact here – halp, anyone? I hate the thought that I’m missing all the jokes unless I somehow turn off image loading :(

• Tei says:

“probably theres a firefox extension for that.”

• Poindexter says:

If you look here. It’s a chrome extension that lets you see the alt-text.

• Boldoran says:

Still the title attribute is the appropriate way to do tooltips on web images. The standard exists for a reason.

• Chris says:

@Poindexter , thanks! Works for me. Would prefer it if everyone were standards-compliant, but being able to read the jokes is a close second.

15. Andreas says:

I now have a flock of anime people shouting “NEW VEGAS!” in kawai stereotypical japanese accents in my head. Thanks, RPS.

16. Cinnamon says:

Another good example of how advertising is turning us all into morons. I can actually feel myself becoming stupider as I try to work out what this ad means and how I should respond to it.

• Jake says:

Well surely an ad where you try to figure out what it means and how you should respond to it is actually cleverer than 90% of all other adverts.

• Bhazor says:

Learning Japanese might help. Maybe.

• Cinnamon says:

@Jake; So they wanted to me to think that this game was made by a bunch of annoying trolls? Clever.

• StormTec says:

I don’t know if it’s fair to critique an advert created for a foreign audience and, in this case, state of videogame culture…

• Shih Tzu says:

Cinnamon: It makes a lot more sense if you’re familiar with standard Japanese game templates and read it as a reaction against them. They’re building on their advertising campaigns for previous Bethesda games: “Hey look, we’re the cool Western RPG where you can do anything you want instead of pressing O to watch the same generic fantasy anime plot you watched last month.” Who knows if it’ll work. I think Oblivion and Fallout 3 each sold in roughly the 100K range; not bad for a non-Japanese first-person game, but still nowhere near their American or European sales.

• Zwebbie says:

There’s a difference between pointing out why your game should be played, and arguing that other games shouldn’t be played. This advertisement is just mud slinging towards JRPGs, which is pretty immature.

• 4c says:

no u

17. Out Reach says:

What’s the point of evil if your not committing it, against say, a sack of new born kittens?

18. Jake says:

Those are beautiful placards they have, I’d be prepared to listen to more protesters if they made nice signs like these. And slogans like ‘The world has been prepared. After that, you’re free to do as you please’.

19. Wednesday says:

Oh man, they’re gonna go absolutely nuts over this.

• sfury says:

The Japanes gonna be more nuts than they’re now? I doubt that’s possible.

Interesting what (if anything) would happen though, taunting them like that while their gaming industry has been in serious decline for some time now.

20. Reikon says:

Obviously not all the signs have been translated.

The top left one says, “Having the enemies weak while the player is weak is just a bit too convenient.”

I find that funny because Bethesda had level scaling in Oblivion and a partial level scaling system in Fallout 3.

• Janxer says:

Then again, New Vegas isn’t made by Bethesda, it’s Obsidian.

21. Robin says:

What’s the Roger Rabbit rule?

• Starky says:

I have no idea and would also like to know – googling “the roger rabbit rule” got my a nude picture of Jessica rabbit on 4chan.

So thanks for that Alec.

• Nick says:

don’t give the rabbit a drink!

• Frye says:

I’m not evil, I was just drawn that way..

• Quirk says:

Well, my googling got me:

Eddie: “You mean you could have taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?!”
      Roger: “No, not at any time. Only when it was funny. ”

which I suspect is the Roger Rabbit rule being spoken of here…

• DigitalSignalX says:

I was wondering that too, but I’m not sure how being funny at the right time saves Fallout Vegas from the J-RPGs vs W-RPG debate.

22. Internet Friend says:

I’m scared of the one in the top middle, I think he’s going to stab me.

23. starclaws says:

“When did games become something that you watch?”

Always argued those games are more like interactive movies than games.

24. Tacroy says:

When I was reading the translations of the placards, the only thing I could think of was “whoa, there’s Dwarf Fortress ads in Japan?”

25. Dominic White says:

On an interesting tangent, I’ve recently been playing a lot of Resonance of Fate on the 360.

It’s a Japanese RPG. It’s also not about saving the world – I’m two thirds of the way through the plot, and not at any point has any of the main characters even suggested being a hero. What they have done is shot a lot of people, and even split up to inadvertently end up on seperate sides of a job to kidnap a bride from her wedding.

There’s no classes, only the most cursory of level systems, and a pretty complex and involved combat engine that plays out almost entirely without menus. While each chapter of the plot has a primary objective, most of the gameplay is based around non-linear questing and exploring.

It’s also set in a clockwork arcology, and there’s no magic. All three of the main characters are guns for hire. They shoot people, and occasionally throw grenades, but that’s the limit of their powers, other than some wire-fu acrobatics.

The funny thing? It released right alongside Final Fantasy 13, the most linear game in the long-running series. It bombed. But it’s pretty great, and I reccomend y’all check it out.

• DarkNoghri says:

That actually sounds interesting, but I don’t see any word about a PC version with a quick google. :(

26. negativedge says:

Unfortunately for Bethesda, Fallout 3 is garbage and Obsidian is the most uninspired development house in the west. They’ll fit right in!

“‘What’s the point of playing again if there’s no change to the story.’”

Well, you could play for the game parts, for starters.

• Starky says:

Are you on Crack? Obsidian are many things but uninspired is not one one them.

Fallout 1 and 2
      Planescape Torment (regularly hailed as one of the best PC games ever)
      Icewind Dale
      KotoR 2 (which despite being buggy as hell and half a game – thanks to Lucas Arts forcing them to shat it our early – was a good game and probably would have surpassed the original has it been given another 3-6 months).

NWN 2 and Alpha protocol I’ve not played but from the reviews I’ve read inspiration was never an issue…
      Technical proficiency and quality assurance seem to be.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah there is no doubting they have some of the best writers in the industry.
      Yeah there is no doubting they have one of the worst QA team in the industry.

Really if you can’t look past glitches (I’ve never had a game breaking glitch in an Obsidian game) then it’s your loss buddy.

Aside: Personally I think Kotor 2 is far better than the original because it barely feels like Star Wars (which was after all is said and done a family adventure film with a focus on kids). Kotor 1 just feels dated now to me, like a first wobbly step in to 3D and making a full talkie. Kotor 2 on the other hand is somehow simultaneously darker and funnier than both the first Kotor and the first Mass Effect.

• negativedge says:

They are uninspired because they, like, say, Raven, are generally the guys that come in after someone else has done something and go “hey, we can do this too, only it will be buggy and generally won’t play well, but hey–you don’t have to pay us as much as the original guys!”

I don’t really care because I’m not generally a fan of the games and kinds of games they swoop in to poorly emulate, but whatever. Their ties to Fallout 2 and Planescape are a little tenuous as well (and Planescape sucks).

• Bhazor says:

Wow, those three words completely invalidate everything you will ever say on this forum/blog.

You also seem to forget the “tenuous connection” to Fallout 2 includes having the lead writer Chris Avellone as well as lead developers Feargus Urquart and Chris Jones. Still you admitted to not playing the genre of the games so I can understand not knowing the background.

• negativedge says:

I’m assuming the three words of which you speak are “and Planescape sucks.”

Sorry, it does. If I wanted to read a mediocre thousand page fantasy novel, I’d at least pick one that didn’t come stuffed with internet fanfiction level *grammar* and an ugly, unwieldy, tedious game bolted on to it.

• Starky says:

Aww, look at the special unique snowflake going against the almost universal opinion, shine special snowflake shine!

Not liking the game I could understand, but dismissing what was probably the largest leap forward in narrative driving gaming, and interactive fiction in the history of the medium is a little beyond believable.

That you dismiss it as a mediocre fantasy novel is even more amusing, given videogames before PS:T were lucky to have a short story cobbled together, even lengthy roleplaying games were more just a bunch of mini-plots with a sprinkle overarching plot to carry you through. No where near the cohesive narrative PS:T contained.

It also had some of the best sound and music for a game of it’s day.

• Vinraith says:

Ever notice how, when you criticize some games and game companies, you get a response that has to do with the game or game companies in question. When you criticize certain other games or game companies, however, you invariably get a personal attack instead. I guess every culture has its sacred cows, eh?

• Nick says:

Ever notice how people saying stupid things get called stupid? Crazy.

• negativedge says:

What an asinine defense of a game. Saying video game stories suck doesn’t make one game special for having a longer story that also sucks. A bunch of words (a bunch) has little bearing on the quality of a video game. The game sucks. No one that loves it ever defends the game–they defend the story. It could be Tolstoy and the game would still suck.

Usually the people that love this thing are people that have never really read anything significant in their lives. They use a game like Planescape to (incompetently) scratch an itch it should never be scratching in the first place. You want to know what games are big advances in “video game narrative”?–the ones that are actually video games. Half Life 2 has an infinitely better “narrative” than Planescape Torment. So does Missile Command. Or Another World. Or or or.

• negativedge says:

No doubt Planescape does a few things well–it (licenses) a cohesive world, it ties the protagonist’s unique situation and his goals into the way the game works on a mechanical level, and it offers differing methods of play that don’t feel as artificial as they do in lesser games–and you would do well to mention these things. But you don’t. Much like the JRPG fans this news post exists to mock, you present yourselves as incapable of appreciating video games on their own merits. Instead, you fall back on bullet points inextricably tied to the genre of choice–the Japanese fans cling to story and characters, the western ones to character builds and “choice.” All four are pointless on their own, and fans of these things have an annoying tendency to separate them from the games proper, betraying an actual dislike of video games in favor or gimmickry or fluff. That we are discussing Planescape, which is traditionally defended from the same point of view as the Japanese games, is particularly delightful.

• Starky says:

@Vin Obsidian a sacred cow? Hardly, they are anything but perfect – as has been mentioned they have horrible QA, their games are almost always buggy and unstable, usually requiring community patches to fix them.
      The reason whoever the community puts such effort into fixing them, is because they are incredible games despite their flaws – without them they would indeed be all time best of genre’s. Hell several of them are anyway.

Dissenting opinions on the quality of something held in high regard by the vast majority of people/gamers is one thing, but trashing it and calling it trash is just stupid.

Fallout 2, PS:T or Fallout 3 may not be the best games of all time – I don’t rate them so myself, but the people who call them terrible games are just idiots, usually saying so for the sake of it. Those games may have flaws, and you may not personally enjoy them – but if someone cannot objectively see the qualities that make other people highly regard them, then they are either wilfully ignoring said qualities, or just stupid.

It is the gaming equivalent of people saying “Avatar sucks” as some kind of counter point to the people who say “best film ever” either way it is stupid, fails to recognise the flaws and the achievements of the most successful film of our generation.

• negativedge says:

Avatar does suck.

Fallout 2 is a very good game.

I don’t care one way or another about sacred cows, popular opinion, etc. The gaming internet is so full of mouthbreathers that all of us are judged against their standard. If you don’t flow with the hivemind, you are being willfully obtuse and obstinately contrarian. If you do follow the hivemind, you are a dumbed down console toy-boy. If everyone likes something awful, then everyone is wrong. I am capable of thinking for myself.

• Starky says:

Thinking for yourself and having your own opinion is one thing, expressing that opinion in the most antagonistic, trollish manner possible just marks you as a jerk.

You say the Internet is full of mouth breathers, this may be true, but it is also full of arrogant tossers with superiority complexes, you’ve clearly placed yourself firmly in the latter.

• Ozzie says:

Fallout 2 is a very good game.

Yeah? I think it sucks. It’s just another post apocalypse game, devoid of any originality, full of rats killing and has an awful combat system.

Oh, see what I did there?
      You’re so clever, aren’t you?

• Vinraith says:

@Starky

Obsidian a sacred cow?

Actually, I was talking about Planescape in this particular case.

27. Fergus says:

I wonder how Obsidian feel, burdened with the awful knowledge that they wouldn’t have a livelihood without Bioware.

• Jimbo says:

Are you mistaking this for a Bioware franchise, or are you going back to NWN?

• Starky says:

And you have it utterly backwards

Bioware would not exist without Obsidian.

Or to be more exact Black Isle Entertainment (who became Obsidian) who published the first Baldurs gate (through their existing relationship with Interplay), which while it wasn’t Biowares first game (shattered Steel was) it was their first big seller.

28. Taillefer says:

Fallout-San. (Ha)

It’s pretty wordy for an ad, is that typical for Japan? Although, it’s been a while since I’ve seen any game ads at all. It’s nice to see they still tell you nothing about the game.

• Arienette says:

In my time here I’ve noticed ads are often pretty wordy. Guess Japanese people really like reading.

29. Nick says:

And the whole JRPG combat system style was spawned by popularity of old old western dungeon crawler RPGs.

IIRC anyway.

30. Terazeal says:

Is it just me, or is that ad missing the box for the PC version?

• Arnulf says:

This story might provide an explanation.

• bansama says:

Haha! Normal PC games… in Japan!? As far as the majority of publishers are concerned here, we PC gamers don’t exist. They don’t want our money. For the few publishers who do try to put out (hideously over priced — even more so than the console pricing) PC versions, most retail stores won’t touch them with a 20 foot barge pole.

Thus, the only reliable ways to get PC games here is to import or buy via digital distribution (and you’d better be prepared to play in English). In that respect, the only good news PC gamers in Japan have gotten this year is the CEO of Square-Enix allowing the sale of their games to us over Steam — and that was all thanks to comments on Twitter.

So yeah, the PC version is absent from that advert on purpose, and given how Bethesda have now removed a large chunk of catalog from sale over Steam in Japan, I’ll be surprised if we can even get New Vegas over Steam here at all. They might just want to push only the console versions as they can charge near $80 for them and get away with it happily.

31. Muzman says:

This is troublesome. The Japanese are not a people to be taught that the world is their oyster by video games or anything else! Let alone by playing in a United States reduced to a nuclear wasteland!!

/end1950s

32. テイ says:

:3 NEW VEGAS! :3

33. Bobsy says:

Aside: Do we even know what the story in New Vegas is? I’m racked my brain-bits and all I think I’ve heard about it has been the setting. YES IT IS LAS VEGAS WITH LASERS AND MUTANTS, now what am I actually doing there?

• Kommissar Nicko says:

Las Vegas already has a lot of lasers and mutants, so I can only assume you gamble, shop, watch strip shows, and accumulate flyers for interesting escort services.

Sounds fun!

• DigitalSignalX says:

Waking up with Amnesia, finding out who mugged you.. lasers, robots and mutants. Pretty much that’s it.

• mihor_fego says:

It could work as GTA: New Las Vegas.

The remains of a city, riddled with factions could be a basis for a GTA-like game in the post-apocalyptic Fallout universe. Yes, instead of following radio transmissions, go collect the debt of some ghoul junkie, wreck some poor survivor’s shanty-town dwellings on the way, then return with a stolen hog constructed from scrap. Things like that.

In a way, go over the top like FO2 did after FO.

P.S. Please have destructible neon signs

34. bansama says:

Regarding the comment about the advert focusing on J-RPGs vs W-RPGs, or more precisely, the linear vs open world comment, consider fate of Final Fantasy XIII, the latest installment in arguably the biggest named J-RPG series going. It bombed. Completely and utterly went down the crapper in terms of sales (or lack thereof).

It is the only big named title in recent years here to see a price drops from it’s initial $80 to $100 price tag down to $50 then $30, then $10 all in the space of 4 months. That just doesn’t happen here. Games generally retain their starting RRP for good — only getting a price drop if they see a re-release on a “greatest hits” type budget label.

The reason for it failing so badly was the fact that it was highly linear (even the dungeons were simply straight lines for the most part) for the first 12 or so hours of gameplay without the story even properly starting. And that just didn’t sit well with the gaming population.

So even if those comments are meant to be a US company making digs at J-RPGs, they are sentiments felt by many gamers here. Unfortunately, like PC games, the majority of retail outlets for games are dead set against selling the majority of Western produced games that get a local console release — just one example: I’ve still never found Fuel on the PS3 despite now also appearing a budget label re-release.

Although Fallout 3 (heavily censored in a manner that removes some of the character choices) is one game that stores are happy to sell here, but that just have something to do with the way that gamers here campaigned for a good year two just to get a local release of Oblivion.

Now, I personally wonder how open world the local version of New Vegas will be. Will it be untouched by censors (highly unlikely given the Fallout universe), or will we see the player character being forced into a “good” role again — in Fallout 3 it is impossible to set the nuke off in the first town, thus meaning you cannot move into Tenpenny towers (or whatever it was called).

35. テイ says:

I just noticed that all kanji and the other japanese letters are monospace fonts. Poor guys. Reading proportional fonts is soo much superior.
    And yes, seems the ads in japan are filled with text in all corners, cultural difference.
    And yes, the RPG games in japan are different, his own genre: JRPG. So is not a extend to imagine that most westerns RPG will not do good there. Videogames are a cultural item, his relevance, fun, design, are directly linked to a culture, if you are not part of such culture, some game can means and do nothing to you. Well.. this is my rational as why MW2 is popular, anyway.

36. ZephyrSB says:

…or more specifically, Wizardry. Which released a handful of games over here, and then went on to produce about 5 billion iterations in Japan, and continues to this day.

37. m_s0 says:

“As it turns out, they’re unhappy about the kind of RPGs that Japan traditionally developers. So unhappy that they’d rather have the kind of RPGs that the West increasingly develops instead.”

Increasingly? PC rpgs peaked about 10 years ago. Back then you could’ve easily said “increasingly”. Now it’s decreasingly. Actually, the emphasis is increasingly put on railorading (i.e. dominating main plot) and creating a “movie-like experience” which in fact makes western rpgs similar to jrpgs, at least in principal. They’re not the same yet, but I imagine that in a few years there won’t be much of a difference.

Nice idea for an advertisement, though. I wonder what the reaction will be.

38. neofit says:

But will there be object insertions or tentacle action in New Vegas to compensate? ;)

39. bill says:

Japanese menu-based rpgs might suck for home gaming, but they seem to work well for mobile phone / ds based on-train gaming.

That said, when I’m on the train ans someone next to me is using their phone, it’s often hard to work out if they’re playing a game or doing some kind of work. Then a few seconds of running around a world map will appear to reveal it’s a game, before back to the exciting menu-based action.

40. pipman300 says:

wizardry is pretty popular in japan, like popular enough to make a dozen sequels and remakes.

41. manveruppd says:

I can see the headlines now…
    “USA ACCUSED OF FOMENTING REVOLT IN JAPAN”
    “ENTIRE STATE OF MARYLAND NUKED, ZENIMAX CORPORATE HQ EPICENTRE!”
    yes, I know Japan doesn’t have nukes, but I’m sure Square Enix has a few stashed away in its top-secret bunkers where it keeps its robot-drone corporate army.