You Can Get Get Lamp

By Kieron Gillen on August 3rd, 2010 at 9:26 pm.

You can tell advertising is splendid if I’m happy to use it as a story-header. Anyway – it’s a good week for documentation of a genre. Following the guide to graphic adventures, Georg Wille brings me news that Jason Scott is now shipping the long-awaited text adventure documentary “Get Lamp“. And I do mean long-awaited. I did think we’d posted about it before, but the trailer actually debuted around the time RPS went public, so we never have. You can find more here or here. Alternatively, you can order the 2-DVD set directly here for forty dollars plus postage. So specialist pricing, but no harm in that. And the venerable trailer follows…

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

James G says:

Oooh, I was reading about this a few months back, definitely interested. I think you might have dropped mention of it in a Sunday Papers at some point, either that or I found out about it through a source other than RPS. (Boing Boing perhaps)

phlebas says:

Don’t suppose there’s any chance of PAL?

Rikard Peterson says:

Does that matter for a DVD? (I happily read that it’s free from region encoding and copy protection. Anything else would have been stupid, but it’s still a good thing. I’ve encountered music DVDs only available as region 1. Grr.)

• HYPERPOWERi says:

Get AnyDVD from SlySoft, or something.

OT: I seem to have some sort of bit.ly fetish. I mean, the original URL isn’t even that much longer than the shortened one. And this isn’t twitter.

Rikard Peterson says:

Wouldn’t you still need region-free hardware for AnyDVD to be able to read it?

• HYPERPOWERi says:

My DVD player is set to region 4. I have a licensed version of AnyDVD running in the system tray.

I’ve just tried a couple of DVDs off my shelf — one region 2 and one region 3, both NTSC; they run perfectly fine from the get go. You don’t need to change the region (and then wrestle with the region change limit) or anything.

Hope this helps. AnyDVD was a good investment for me. It cost $49 when I bought it back in ’07. Getting free periodic updates since. You may be able to find an open source or freeware alternative.

Rikard Peterson says:

Thanks, that was interesting information.

phlebas says:

Region free means I can get the thing to play at all. NTSC means I could only play it on the computer – most modern TVs in the UK support both PAL and NTSC but mine isn’t one of them.

3. Out Reach says:

Is it a load bearing lamp?

4. protobob says:

Been following this for ages, can’t wait to see it.

5. Terazeal says:

I was hoping that “text adventure documentary” meant a documentary in text adventure form. Now I’m disappointed. :(

6. Nick says:

No MC Frontalot link? For Shame!

solipsistnation says:

Jason’s a good guy, and his last documentary (the BBS documentary) was quite awesome. I’m looking forward to this one too.

• BonusWavePilot says:

That *was* good! Though I think perhaps I got more out of the extras than the doco itself…
      The Fidonet guy is an absolute fruit-loop, for example.

8. Esc says:

minor tangent:

Ever since playing Zork in my youth I’ve become obsessed with owning a shiny brass lantern like the one shown at the end of the trailer. I’ve never bought one because I’ve never run into one and I’m very much the person who doesn’t buy unnecessary things. But I can’t help but want to peruse online lantern aficionado sites and get something to put over the fireplace. (along with an elvish sword, naturally)

9. Karthik says:

RPS, please cover IF more. I know you send out a shout every time IFComp rolls around, and you did that piece on Photopia once, if I remember correctly, but there are several dozen really fantastic pieces of IF released every year.

• user@example.com says:

I don’t really follow IF, but I’m always interested to read about it. The best way to get RPS to cover something is for the thing’s creator/organiser/fans to send them a link about it to let them know.

Or money, money works.

10. Bhazor says:

All this and no mention of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE

11. Jules says:

Does this documentary gloss over the fact that text adventures aren’t, well, gone? Text adventures (now: Interactive Fiction) is alive and kicking and producing great games.

12. Jason Scott says:

The documentary most definitely covers “modern” text adventure authors, the IF Competition, and a variety of other contemporary topics. Interviewees of this period include Adam Cadre (Photopia) Stephen Granade (IF Comp), Dave Cornelson (Textfyre), Robb Sherwin, Adam Thornton, Nick Montfort, and Andrew Plotkin.