Funny Little Frog: Frogatto

By Kieron Gillen on August 4th, 2010 at 9:30 pm.

Tubby frog, tubby frog, his body weight causes him to be mocked (In song).

Frogs! King of the Amphibians (bar all the better ones). Frogatto, a complete hefty freeware 16-bit styled platform adventure game “thing”. And it’s very sixteen bit, including a silly tone and a lead character whose primary forms of interacting with the world are tonguing it, swallowing it and then spitting it back out again – so something all the RPS staffers can empathise with (except for the spitting back out again). You can download it for PC, beardy-PC and hair-cut PC from its site. Alternatively, you can also get it on haircut-PC (but flat) and haircut-PC (but a phone) via a shop you have to pay three-quid-at, which sounds rather silly to me, but I’m but a foolish PC owner, so what would I know, eh? Anyway, footage follows…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Navagon says:

Pretty impressive looking for a freebie. Thanks for the heads up. Downloading.

2. Isometric says:

This looks charming, shall give it a go.

3. Supertonic says:

Good to see some linux love in there. Once my Crunchbang Statler download (Crunchbang’s new Debian-based instaler, looks very exciting) I’ll download the ubuntu version of this game (http://www.frogatto.com/forum/index.php?topic=20.0) and ps I notice no 64-bit version for Wintards ;)

4. Pod says:

When it zooms in I think of Fire ‘n’ Ice.

5. Dominic White says:

I remember not too long ago when you’d have to pay something like £40 for a game like Frogatto, and now they’re giving em’ away for free. Tis a golden age of gaming.

It’s a gem of a game. Very polished. The sprites are charming and cute, the dialogue amusing and whimsical, and the gameplay solid.

The music is lovely too. Reminds me a lot of Chrono Trigger.

6. TheLordHimself says:

The graphics are totally borked for me; anyone else have the same problem?

7. marcavis says:

Nope… what’s your OS?

8. MD says:

Song’ll be stuck in my head all morning now. This looks pretty cute though! Pretty sure I’ll get annoyed with it at some point and not finish, but I can’t not try it.

9. Supertonic says:

Working fine on my ubuntu box with stock open-source ATI drivers (and ATI is usually where the hassle is, NVIDIA proprietary is always perfect, intel hassle-free but slow, ATI proprietary buggy as hell, ati open-source reliable but a little iffy on 3d at this point). The game itself is fun, very enjoyable and I agree with Dominic White’s sentiments, isn’t it fantastic that we get stuff like this free?

10. Player1 says:

I love the style which reminds me of the great Superfrog for Amiga, but the bit of information on the download page ruined it for me:

Please note: Frogatto automatically uploads anonymous usage data while you play (if you are connected to the internet), to help us improve the quality of the game.

• Dominic White says:

You do realise that by posting on this comment thread, you’re probably leaving more personal information than the game could ever get hold of, right? It’s almost certainly the usual stuff – crash reports and internal performance measurements.

• jon_hill987 says:

It does not sound like the “we will spam you with ads” type. More like what Valve do with their games.

11. le poo poo says:

You’re my picture on the wall,
    You’re my vision in the hall,
    You’re the one I’m talking to,
    When I get in from my work,
    You are my girl, and you don’t even know it,
    And you’re the funny little frog in my throat.

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh, I remember some of that art. It’s from a guy who’s also worked on Battle for Wesnoth. Great sprite artist.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Hmm. Looking at the names of the team I recognise more than one of these folks do or have in the past worked on BfW.