Good Points: Achievement Unlocked 2

By Quintin Smith on August 4th, 2010 at 9:55 am.

Could we not start games with 1000 points and then lose them as we prove our incompetence?

Now this is a wonderful way to start a day! This, and a mug of steamy tea. Bliss. Everyone’s favourite elephant in the (series of) room(s) is back! To pick up where our coverage of the original left off, the best approach to writing about it is to write as little as possible, so I’ve stowed some thoughts and a video after the jump. For now, go play.

It’s interesting how much more than straight satire this game manages to be. On the one hand, it’s a bit odd that in mocking achievements and DLC by exaggerating them, Achievement Unlocked 2 makes itself compelling for the exact same reasons as them. On the other hand, the game also exists to espouse some of the biggest strengths of achievements- how they can encourage play and experimentation, and how they can act as a one-way conduit for dialogue from developer to player. That dialogue might just be a series of winks, nudges and jokes, but that’s still more than enough to make the game feel so much warmer and more human.

My current favourite achievement is No Double Jumping, which you get for doing your first double jump, whenever that is. Trying to do it again, you find you’re stuck with a single jump. Gah!

Here’s a walkthrough and a trailer, in case you prefer watching games or reading about them to playing them, you big weirdy jerk. Warning! Absolutely none of the humour carries into the trailer. I’m only posting it here for completion’s sake. I think it might get me an achievement.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Aninhumer says:

Keeps randomly locking up for a few seconds for me :(

2. Kommissar Nicko says:

I got the bad ending.

Sadface.

3. itsallcrap says:

I’m sure I saw this a few months back. Or at least a game very much like the orginal that was not in fact the original.

Or is my memory just making shit up now?

P.S. The CAPTCHA thing seems to be set on Nightmare mode. Please turn it down to Hurt Me Plenty.

4. Tei says:

:-O

5. Ian says:

Like it but got bored.

6. Moni says:

I managed 76% before I couldn’t take any more.

My favourite was the cake button.

7. Dood says:

Phew, I actually completed it. Had to look up the notes though, I’m not really a musical genius. A lot of the achievements were really fun. I like the fact that you can figure out what to do by looking at the names of the achievements.

8. Sagan says:

49 minutes and I have got the good ending. :)

Needed a little help from the walkthrough though.

9. jeremypeel says:

As with the first game, the biggest joke is how we are (or at least I am) compelled to complete the whole damn thing despite the satire. Quinns is spot on here.

Wasn’t sure what the justification of a sequel was at first, but there’s some fantastic lambasting of DLC, half-arsed multiple endings and YOU, THE PLAYER. Also, a serious WTF moment that I won’t spoil for those who haven’t played yet.

Like the first game, it’s amazing how much of the genuine feeling of satisfaction meta achievements offer is retained in the making fun of them. Reminds me of You Have To Burn The Rope, in that it makes me wonder whether I waste my time with the real meat of a lot of games; maybe I should just play the endings.

10. Freud says:

I never got into the whole Achievement thing, which is kinda strange since I have completist perversions normally. I just don’t find it worthwhile to jump through hoops for no in-game purpose but to facilitate a ‘grinding’ playing style.

I don’t mind exploring games and have spent hundreds of hours in Morrowind, GTAs etc doing basically what I want.

I think basically when WoW introduced achievements (in a game that is mostly about achievements even before they formally existed there ) during a time when I was starting to get really bored with the game I took a very cynical view of the whole achievement thing and it stuck with me.

11. Gap Gen says:

The strange thing is, this is actually a really good example of how to do achievements well in many cases.

• SuperNashwan says:

Indeed, achievements that actually add through challenge are fine (as long as they don’t spam the screen with immersion breaking regularity). It’s achievements that are earned just by playing that are hatefully pointless.

12. Calabi says:

I had no desire to complete it.

I AM INVINCIBLE!

13. Phil says:

Argh. It appears to be impossible to get the Billy Mays achievement under OSX!

• Dreaded Walrus says:

@Phil and it’s impossible to get the “Waltzing Ma” achievement on a British English keyboard, because the tilde key on American keyboards is our ` ¦ ¬ button (i.e. left of the number 1, and below esc), and that doesn’t work, and shift+# to actually get the ~ (tilde) doesn’t work either. Although at least I suppose you can switch to an American keyboard layout for that…

• Wilson says:

I’m sure I got that by just pressing the # key. I got it somehow.

• Dreaded Walrus says:

@Wilson Weird, didn’t work for me.

• Deano2099 says:

The @ key worked for the tilde achievement for me.

14. Tori says:

Yes! All done! Now, I can get back to work ;)

15. Pani says:

You’d think for 84%, I’d get something other than the bad ending?

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

Damn you elephant, I need to read a walkthrough now.

16. Tei says:

Don’t work here. Linux, Flash 9.
    These dawn flash designers always make things only for the last version of flash and ignore the older versions. *shake fist* making things for the ultimate of the ultimate version of $something is against the idea and phillosophy of the World Wide Web.

• Hodge says:

I just played it all the way through in Linux with Flash 10 (albeit with the dodgy nspluginwrapper thingy because I’m running 64-bit). Works fine – any reason you’re sticking with Flash 9?

17. Wilson says:

I like elephants. Though this wasn’t quite as nice as the original (the joke isn’t as fresh now) it was still fun.

18. Nezz says:

Nice, but I think I’ll wait until it shows up on Kongregate. They have badges and collectible cards there.

19. Wowza says:

The Paste Into Notepad achievement is sooooo misleading.

• jeremypeel says:

That was one of the few I did last with the help of the walkthrough, and I still don’t get it. Why click the wheel?

I did reach 140 before getting to that point. I can feel pleased about that, whilst assuring everyone of my knowingness.

20. LintMan says:

This one seems harder in the sense you can jump much less high than before – it’s less “floaty” or something, so hitting some spots is taking multiple attempts for me, making it feel much more like a typical lame platform game and less like a satire. I closed it out after a minute or two. Blah.

21. JonFitt says:

CRAAAAAAAAAAP. I thought it was lying when it said quitting would lose your achievements and it was not a trick…
    Well I’m not bloody starting again. :(

22. The Sombrero Kid says:

the thing is with this game, they aren’t achievements but non linear objectives, there’s no meta gaming involved whatsoever. which is why it works for everyone rather than just achievement whores.