Batman: Arkham City Announced

By Kieron Gillen on August 5th, 2010 at 3:13 pm.

There may be subtext here. I don't know. Who am I to speculate?

News reaches us via a bat-signal link from Eurogamer that the sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum will be out autumn 2011. Hurrah for fans of Tightness. Except, from the scant details released, it may be less Quinns-delightingly Tight, as it’s set in a single sprawling walled city block in the heart of Gotham which is now home of all the city’s criminally insane folk (Which is the sort of ill-advised city planning the residents of that fair city have got used to). That suggest more open-worldy to me. However, tightness will remain in the form of the flesh-clinging costume, as shown on the three teased Game Informer covers. It seems it will feature prominently Catwoman’s prominent features. Press release follows for those who like to pick over the details…

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES BATMAN: ARKHAM CITYTM

As the Official Title for the Sequel to the Critically Acclaimed Batman: Arkham AsylumTM

London, United Kingdom – Aug. 5, 2010 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Batman: Arkham CityTM as the title for its follow-up to the award-winning, critically acclaimed hit videogame Batman: Arkham AsylumTM. Batman: Arkham City will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Games for Windows PC and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system in Autumn 2011.

Developed by Rocksteady Studios, Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City, the new maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight.

Batman: Arkham City is based on DC Comics’ core Batman license. Fans can visit www.batmanarkhamcity.com to sign up to receive updates regarding the game.

Our wish? Well, when Quinns and I picked over Arkham in the podcast, we were playing around with ideas for Co-op. That would be something.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Elyas says:

I’m giddy!

2. Ian says:

I’d still guess there’ll be comparitively confided indoor “levels” rather than it being like, for example, a small-scale, Batman version of a Spider-Man 2 kind of a game.

Also: Excited!

Also also: TIGHT!

3. AndrewC says:

Batman’s never really ‘got’ women, has he?

4. skyturnedred says:

Awesome, Arkham Asylum was one of the best games of last year. Or last decade even. Also, that picture looks cool, so unlike Batman to be so well lit.

5. Mr Chug says:

Shouldn’t that be the sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum?

Aimless speculation: the “Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City” immediately made me lust for a free-roaming style- maybe blending the original with a bit of Assassin’s Creed roof running action.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Yes. I actually changed that just before the post because I saw the name and I presumed I entered the wrong one, without looking at context. Man!

KG

• whaleloever says:

Bets are on it’ll be Unreal-powered. So small levels with lots of very sweaty men.

• Starky says:

Given that the original was Unreal Engine, coding and engine customization will be for unreal, and that Batman:AA was about as SOLID as a game as you can get.

That’s not a bet, it’s a certainty.

Besides Batman:AA looked pretty damn good for a unreal game – It’s not the Engine after all but the devs who use it, Mirrors edge, The Last remnant and Borderlands were all unreal engine too – and they are all wide open spaced games lacking sweaty looking men (mostly – Brick does not count).

• The Dark One says:

Mirror’s Edge is a bit of a special case, since they licensed a third-party lighting system to de-grease its characters and architecture.

• Starky says:

True, and no doubt Borderlands wrote it’s own sharers for the cell shades look. Still the point stands, Unreal is a versatile engine, and anyone who wishes too can create some unique looking games (just look at the unreal mods/stand alone stuff).

I think it is more a fault of the gears of war looking trend, than the engine itself.

Or a case of Devs, just using all of the out-of-the-box stuff and not bothering customizing it at all.

6. Easydog says:

I would love to co-op as Robin. Or Batwoman. Just putting that out there.

• Easydog says:

Yes, in fact. Co-op as one of Batman’s Batarangs would be even more awesome.

• roryok says:

but batwoman? really?

• Jake says:

A co-op mode, with synchronised take-down strategies could be a really nice addition but whoever had to play as Robin might feel a bit bitter. Unless it’s Damian Robin, that would be brilliant.

Batwoman would be cool too – she’s a good character, but I’d guess if there was a co-op character, it would be Catwoman.

• laikapants says:

@roryok: Current Batwoman, Kate Kane, kicks serious amounts of ass ( http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/batwoman.jpg ). Seeing her in this series would be amazing. But at the same time, she currently (as far as I know, I’ve only read up to the end of Elegy) works fairly independently of the rest of the Bat-family. So I’d have to agree with Jake, if there is co-op it’d mostly likely be Catwoman and/or one of the Robins.

• Easydog says:

AS I said I’m fine with being Robin in co-op. But I really enjoyed the new Batwoman run, specifically ‘Elegy’ and I would love to see her in the game, even moreso as a playable character. But unfortunately she hasn’t had much contact with the bat family so it’s just a pipe dream at the moement.

But co-op would hopefully prove to be a welcome addition.

• Choca says:

Looking at the few screens it seems that it might get a Batman + Catwoman coop actually.

• Optimaximal says:

Well, there’s the problem that the Batwoman in the game canon is stuck in a wheelchair in Gotham Clocktower, providing support to Batman.

• Easydog says:

Oh man, I’m going to be horribly nerdy and point out that it’s the old Bat ‘girl’, that’s in a wheelchair, now calling herself Oracle. Her real name is Barbera Gordon. Batwoman is Kate Kane, who’s relatively new on the bat-scene and can still appear in the game. But I expect it to be either Robin or Caatwoman if we do get co-op. Which is still awesome.

7. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

MAXIMUM CLENCH!

8. Tei says:

Never finished the first one. I have not patience for boss. I am the only dude that enjoy the game but can’t play it, because this string of boss battles.

• roryok says:

They’re easy enough though. And worth it for the other stuff. My only gripe was that by the time I had all the best gear, the game was over! I wanted to go around pounding more thugs afterward, cleaning up all the scumm in Arkham

• D says:

The biggest missed opportunity I found was that the “completed game” save was very boring. Just collection hunting hell. Ideally after finishing, the autosave should have reverted back to the party-room before the finale. 30 thugs to cheering you / getting pounced on and c’mon the fireworks are already there and everything!

• Tei says:

“They’re easy enough though.”

Not for me. I can’t strategize or apply tactics to then, dether then, corrupt the engine phisic, cheat with props of the map, or any trick on my pockets. Seems puzzleis with only one solution, so you have to “get it”, and be very skilled at it. I am totally unskipped, thats why I do the “interiors sport” know as videogames, because I am the unskilled. B:AA laughts at me with crazy consoley eyes.

9. frood says:

Hopefully it has sandman sections

10. Krikey! says:

Please give us clayface please give us clayface please give us clayface……

11. Ian says:

As it’s a bit more open I’m hoping it follows the plot of Batman Sucks Forever:

12. Flint says:

I’d rather that one of the tightest singleplayer experiences of recent years was saved from a tacked on co-op mode :i.

• jeremypeel says:

Tacked-on co-op is underrated. My two best co-op experiences of the past year have been with Baldur’s Gate and Rainbow 6 Vegas, both very tacked-on, both fantastic fun (although admittedly they feature parties and squads respectively in single player, which makes the addition of another player somewhat smoother).

• Teachable Moment says:

Stuff co-op. It’ll be RE5 again. It’s “Batman”, not “Batman & Friends”.

• luphisto says:

yea but RE5 was pretty mediocre anyhow, once you had played through once or got enough gear it stopped being challenging.

13. toni says:

me happy. catwoman render looks fantastic.

14. laikapants says:

This is literalmagically the most exciting news of my week and it goes quite well with the hefty stack of Batman comics I just got.

Hopes and dreams:

-Sexy open world-ness whilst allowing me to be Airduct Batman (ie a fair amount of buildings having proper interiors).

-Kane and Lynch (first thing I could think of) type co-op (so I can still have the joy of working with another member of the Bat-family in single player, but a human type person could drop in and yeah) AND/OR co-op like that of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (which is to say, two non-Batman characters working in the background of the story)

-The Paul Dini is still on board to write, which hopefully also means Catwoman is in her mostly ally state and not a villain.

-Better boss fights, while being appropriate for each character.

-More of your arsenal at the beginning or at least a New Game+ mode that lets you start out with all your gear.

15. DrGonzo says:

Wasn’t the first game freeroaming? Or did I miss something?

• laikapants says:

@DrGonzo: It was indeed freeroaming, but only with in the confines of the asylum. What I mean by ‘sexy open worldness’ is something more along the lines of Assassin’s Creed II. More rooftops and urban sprawl. A place in which you can even more so feel like Batman than in the walls of the first game.

• DrGonzo says:

Jumping along rooftops in Co-op with Robin will make my pants wet.

16. Vinraith says:

I passed on the first one due to the general linearity and the fact that I’m not that big on 3rd person action games. A free roaming batman game though, that’d probably be too tempting to ignore. If it had co-op, even moreso.

• DrGonzo says:

You really, really should play it. While there is only one way you should be heading it is freeroaming. It’s not perfect, all the boss battles suck. But you still really feel like Batman.

• Starky says:

You really should play it indeed… You can get it for cheap now (depending where you live), and it really is a great game – as Gonzo says, it is the first and only game that you actually feel like you are controlling Batman like he should be.

Oh and if you have a PS3, get it on that just for the Joker bonus bits. Though the PC version is tight and solid.

I’m just hoping this sequel doesn’t go the way of the spider-man games, which also nailed the feeling like spider-man part (aka web-swinging), but then just pissed great mechanics away with repetitive and uninteresting everything else.

• Vinraith says:

The demo didn’t exactly grab me. I agree that there’s a solid feeling of being Batman, and the voice acting and atmosphere were top notch, but what I was actually doing in the game just didn’t seem very interesting. Then again, as mentioned, I’m not generally big on third person action games or brawlers. I’ll probably get around to it some day, but there are too many RPG’s and strategy games on the “to play” pile as it is, and those usually get priority.

• FunkyBadger says:

The fighting was *really* good in this, transcendant, even. Became more like a rythem-action game, Audiosurf with dislocations…

Also, TIGHT.

17. Vague-rant says:

I want Arkham City to contain a origin part where I can use the pun delinQuinnt to describe either Robin or Batman. I don’t mind which.

18. Dominic White says:

A lot of the problem with the bosses in Arkham Asylum is that the combat engine was fantastic at letting you fight groups of enemies, but really crappy for one-on-one brawling. There was no ebb and flow to the combat, just ‘hit guy 8-9 times, fight minions, repeat’.

That was the one real problem with the game, and if the developers are even halfway competent, they’ll fix it in the sequel. I want to see more spectacular setpiece batltes between heroes and vlillains, dammit! That’s what classic comics are all about!

• Starky says:

I’d argue that batman was never about spectacular battles, in fact Batman pretty much was born to go against those comic book standards.

Especially the modern batman, his “boss battles” are (almost) always won either with technology, or by wits – often without combat involved at all.
      Yes batman fights, but he’s human, and knows he can’t go toe to toe with some of the more powerful super villains, which is why he uses his brains and his tricks.

While I agree the boss battles suck, I honestly think I’d prefer if such encounters were done in cut scenes, or abstract ways – such as how you defeated the scarecrow.

I’d rather the ending of that game just been an in game cutscene of coolness than that stupid joker brawl.
      Or taken him down in a stealth manner, hiding and sneaking and using explosives – that would have been great.

• Jake says:

@Starky: Agree completely, I loved the first game but it did suffer a bit from being full of pumped up giant monster people and bossfights that don’t really fit with the style of the Batman comics. There are not so many in the rogues’ gallery that are a physical match for Batman, and most of his ‘boss fights’ are mental or endurance fights. I thought the Scarecrow bit was brilliant, and it was a bit of a lazy plot device to make the Joker a giant monster that Batman could fight – that’s not why the Joker is a good villain and it’s not needed.

Obviously the game has to have a decent chunk of fighting and interesting things to fight, but I would still like to see some of that stuff toned down a bit, and hopefully they can figure out a way to do this – they already used up most of the physical villains in the first game: Bane and Croc. Two Face can still be a threat without a level where he grows huge and you have to beat him up for 15 minutes.

19. JennJenn says:

Definitely buying this. Please no Joker…more Clayface. Catwoman graphic make me want to put my Catsuit on while I’m playing

• laikapants says:

@JennJenn: Bad news on the Joker front, he’s definitely in it. Seen in the only teaser-y footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73_hcyc6Dg

I’m fine with the Joker so long as they steer clear of the Titan Joker, which was pure silliness. As a cackling ring leader, he works quite well.

Clayface not in a cell would be more than welcome though.

• RedFred says:

I want to hear more about this catsuit.

(But really I just want to increase my website traffic).

20. JimmyJames says:

Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the first game.

@laikapants
    Yeah, I agree. He was great except for that last bit as the Titan.

21. suibhne says:

Mr. Freeze, please.

I.e., the Mr. Freeze of the animated series, not of the movie. *shudder*

• laikapants says:

@suibhne: Super ‘reliable’ IMDB lists Mr. Freeze as appearing in the game voiced by the exceedingly excellent, Maurice LaMarche. Interestingly (and excitingly, though a good Mr. Freeze is damn exciting) they’re also listing Talia Al Ghul. Still, being IMDB it should be taken with a pound of salt until more concrete stuff is revealed.

22. Saul says:

If they get rid of the stupid Riddler treasure hunts, I might even play it.

23. jeremypeel says:

One of those mag covers looks strikingly similar to the Beyond Divinity box cover. So expect your Batman isometric and with lots more clicking.

24. laikapants says:

@Optimaximal: Er, that’s the Oracle (Barbara Gordon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gordon ) and she was in the first game. True she used to be BatGIRL but never was BatWOMAN. There have only been two women who took up the Batwoman mantle thus far: the excruciatingly lame, Kathy Kane; the incredibly awesome, Kate Kane.

25. Easydog says: