Bigger Daddy: Bioshock 2′s Single Player DLC

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2010 at 2:17 pm.

This is interesting, at least if you found the second Bioshock game to be moderately entertaining: 2K have announced that there’s going to be a single-player “narrative driven” DLC called Minerva’s Den released for the game at some point in the near future. It puts you in “the role of an all-new character who has teamed up with Brigid Tenenbaum to unravel a dictator’s stranglehold on a key district in the distinctive city under the sea.” As well as being an entirely new district of Rapture, it’s also going to feature new plasmids and a new kind of Big Daddy. This is apparently the final bit of DLC for the game, but there’s no details on date or price as yet, so we’ll post those when we know. Probably. Who can really know where our whims may lead?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. toni says:

at last hopefully something substantial worthy of the DLC title and pricetags

2. Pesforozo says:

I’ve just finished BioShock 2, and really enjoyed it. I did however buy it for £10. The problem with DLC is that the prices always tend to be based on the original’s RRP. I’d assume that this little slice of game is going to be £5-£10, or basically the same as the full thing now.

Nevertheless, more BioShock is very tempting.

3. Bowlby says:

The problem with DLC, I find, is that it rarely depreciates over time like retail prices do for the full game. A good example I’ve encountered recently is Assassin’s Creed 2 for the 360. I bought the Complete Edition (ugh, nice one, Ubisoft) for £17.99, which includes the DLC. The DLC add-ons, bought separately, add up to roughly £7, which is 38% of the full price. Is there 38% worth of additional content or ounces of enjoyment over the full game? I think most would say there isn’t, as I certainly would.

From my point of view, most DLC, like this, is very poor value for money when bought on its own. So much so that I rarely buy any of it.

4. Shagittarius says:

I really liked Bioshock 2. I don’t usually buy Aftermarket add-ons/expansions (unless were talking MMOs of course) but I will probably make an exception in this case.

5. DrGonzo says:

Didn’t enjoy Bioshock 2 at all. It felt completely pointless. It didn’t add anything more to the game and the story felt over after the first game imo.

• DJ Phantoon says:

If the drill attack didn’t tickle the primitive testosterone filled part of your brain I think you may want to check your pulse because you’re probably dead.

6. Bostec says:

I didn’t bother finishing it. I got to the point where I had to defend the little sister from wave after wave of err..those crazy people. Died a couple of times then gave up. It didn’t pull me in at all like the first one.

7. kupocake says:

Rather intrigued by this, but mostly because Cistern Shock 2 brought Tennenbaum to Rapture because… why? It was like they just wanted her around so they could have an excuse for a set of new audiologs. And then she just walked off within the first quarter of the game.

My hunch is that the Multiplayer DLC hasn’t been doing very well. There’s enough content in the basic package simply going to waste. No-one ever seems to be playing.

8. Heliocentric says:

Bioshock 2 Needs 2 features, they are called “not needing the disc for multiplayer” and “servers”

Still, I’ll take more single player happily…. I refuse to get Microsoft funny money however.

9. bansama says:

I’d be far more excited about this DLC if there were the possibility of it being sold anywhere other than GFWL — A service that despite being available in my region, Microsoft simply refuse to support. Which for us poor sods, equates to not being able to purchase =(

10. dethtoll says:

I love Bioshock 2, far more than the original (which grew on me.) So yes, I am excited for more Rapture lovins’.

Comment on this story