Show Tremendous Interest In Toonstruck 2

By John Walker on August 6th, 2010 at 4:38 pm.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

A few weeks back I replayed Toonstruck for a retrospective, which led me to reading about it. And I discovered, having not heard before, that there was an unreleased sequel. The first game, already very long, had a lot of content cut, which was then to be reused in the follow-up. A lot of it already made, it was apparently reasonably close to completion. But Toonstruck, despite being a splendid point and click adventure, did not sell well, and any plans for a sequel were abandoned. Well, apparently if we still want it, we just have to ask.

The rights to Toonstruck are held by its music director, Keith Arem, who has recently expressed an interest in recovering the project, re-releasing the game for modern systems with the second half put back in. That’s a second half of FMV footage of stars Christopher Lloyd and Ben Stein, along with Dan Castellaneta and Tim Curry providing voices. It’s something I want. Me. Now. Please.

However, he has said he wants to see fan interest before considering the project. In fact, he said this, as posted to the AdventureGamers.com forum.

“While the game was internationally critically acclaimed, the game did
not receive the sales we hoped, and the second half was never released.
Now that my career has developed, I would like to re-release an updated
version of Toonstruck to include the 2nd half of the game (iPad, online,
etc), but I would need tremendous fan support to justify its release.”

This is a result of the Toonstruck 2 group – a collection of gamers who have been attempting to stitch together the unreleased content into a playable game themselves. Approaching Arem, they’ve clearly sparked his interest, and the possibility of something official could occur.

But “tremendous fan support” means action. Which is what you should do now. So there’s the Facebook group, and there’s the an online petition. Go on. (If you can get the petition software to work – it’s not the easiest to use.)

And if you need convincing, check out our screenshot gallery from the original.

Big thanks to deanlove for pointing me in the direction of this.

, , , .

1. Heliocentric says:

No ta.

• John Walker says:

Do you go around the internet responding to things you aren’t interested in?

People are weird.

• Heliocentric says:

I read the post and then said how i felt. :(

Didn’t know the RPS thought police were on patrol! But seriously, kisses.

• Lukasz says:

We don’t.
      Normally

but for toonstruck 2 we would gladly feed you to rats.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I join Helio on that one…I’d prefer a new Quest For Glory! Or Al Emmo, at least…it was supposed to have a sequel!

2. Michael says:

Toonstruck 2 sounds nice but getting the original released on (say) gog.com would probably be easier in the interim and generate a bit of cash and interest, if that’s what he needs, to develop 2.

• Vinraith says:

Toonstruck on GOG would definitely help Toonstruck 2 get made. Time to go give it a vote…

3. Quasar says:

But is it a good game?

4. westyfield says:

Signatures: 329
    Goal: 50000

Oh.

Signed it with a haiku.

5. Web Cole says:

Sounds like a splendid idea, I’d love to see this happen :D

6. Kast says:

What’s Toonstruck? (Googles) Ah, yes. I might have an explanation for those low sales – there was no way I was going anywherer near the bloody cover as primary school-aged game player. It’s freaky!

• BooleanBob says:

Wot he said. It was a terrifying (and terrifyingly misconceived) piece of packaging. The worst in gaming, megaman aside?

That said, I somehow found myself playing it anyway. It’s excellent, and I’d dearly love to see a sequel.

• LionsPhil says:

Bah, you cowards, it’s only a clown.

It’s probably not much of a spoiler to point out that he’s actually a mildly tragic character. (But if you keep watching after he leaves conversation, don’t blame me.)

7. Tangy says:

Signed. I loved Toonstruck. I’d definitely pay a fiver for a version I could play on a modern OS, more if it included all the stuff that got cut. That said, I’m not optimistic for the future of this idea :(

8. Andy says:

Oh man I remember this – I wonder if I still have my copy floating about.

Had to use “display doctor” to get my old matrox card to run it…ah, happy memories.

I agree with Michael that a re-release of the original would be a great idea to get people interested in it, then hit em with the sequel a few months later!

9. Trip says:

I’d love to see this come out, but I’d settle for an updated version of the original. I have fond but vague memories of it.

10. orangedragon10 says:

Oh man, Toonstruck was definitely a blast to play. To play through the sequel would be a dream come true! *sign*

oceanclub says:

Hmm, I think re-releasing the original on GOG and seeing how much interest there actually is would be a better way to judge the market. I’m sure lots of people would happily sign a petition but, come the release, not actually stump up the cash.

P.

12. Darren Effofex says:

I would like to see them tag on a playable[sic] version of Toonstruck while they are at it.

13. Travis says:

I do have tremendous interest in this. I would even pay many, many dollars.

Now if they could only clone an army of me this petition would be a done deal.

14. John says:

I loved the first game.. so much clever dialog. I can’t get it to run anymore, though.. not even through DosBox or a VM. A rerelease that runs would be great.

15. MadTinkerer says:

I bought and played through the original. Decent puzzles, occasionally hilarious, some parts are wonderfully retro-feeling now (who would use blue-screened actors and hand-drawn animation nowadays when everything’s spline-mapped and polygonated?). Wish I could play it on my current laptop, but I suspect Win 7 will turn it’s nose up at a Win 98 game.

TS2 is absolutely worth pursuing for two reasons:

1) the original ended on a cliffhanger (which, if the second part really was that far along, is somewhat forgivable).

2) No one will ever make a game like it ever again. Seriously: Roger Rabbit-style live action and hand-drawn animation? In a point and click adventure? On the PC? Even the Strongbad games were realtime 3D! No one will ever make a game like it ever again.

16. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

I’d have to play the first one before I could decide if I wanted a sequel or not, but due to all of the black magic involved in such an endeavor I worry I’ll never get the chance.

Fingers crossed for a GoG release!

17. Navagon says:

SHOWING TREMENDOUS INTEREST WITH EVERY CAPITAL LETTER

Also mention GOG in the comments, guys. That way we make it obvious that releasing either version on GOG would be a good idea regardless.

18. Jorma says:

Perhaps Vangelis has the missing half of blade runner (the westwood one)!… :’(

Vandelay says:

Signed. I’ve never even played the original, but I would love to get the chance to. I remember seeing a screenshot of it, possibly in PC Gamer, when I was younger and thinking it looked great. I didn’t get round to playing it though. A re-mastered game that allowed you to play on modern systems would be fantastic, with or without the other half.

20. Shazbut says:

Sorry if I missed this, but are we talking a sequel or one big game comprising all of the original and the extra material?

21. DMJ says:

BALLOOOOOOOOON?

22. Lukasz says:

only 521 signatures

I am disappoint.

23. Raum says:

That petition site was horrible.

You need to sign in with a social network account and give them all your information?

Not to mention the completely transparent donation option. Ridiculous and rude.

No wonder nobody is signing.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Yeah..PetitionOnline would be ENOUGH.

• Ozzie says:

You don’t need to sign in into any account. It’s enough to give your name and e-mail adress.

24. Casimir's Blake says:

Hardcore Gaming 101 also have an article on Toonstruck. It seems like a match made in cartoon heaven with the actors involved, but ultimately it’s a flawed game, if a good cartoon.

Lambchops says:

Yes please.

26. Brulleks says:

@ Raum

No, you don’t. See option 4. And also, er, the donation is optional.

Signed. And if I end up with a bit more junk mail but get a sequel to one of the best p&cs ever made, (and NOT by Telltale, for a change), then I can live with that.

27. Chronotis says:

It was a fantastic, if ambitious, game that managed to both poke fun at the genre and yet exemplify what fun a post and click adventure could be. Tim Curry chewing up the scenery (vocally, anyway) was great as well. With recent disappointments like “The Whispered World” this is just what we need! (Can I give a shout out to the other massively expensive but financially disastrous “The Last Express” cmon, GOG, practically the only way to play this now is pirating or a second mortgage for a second hand copy!)

28. Hulk Handsome says:

Really? I bought a copy of Last Express for about $10 a year ago. Maybe I just got lucky. Great game!

29. LionsPhil says:

Everything’s better with butter.

Online petition sites can crawl back into the fetid swap they originated from, though.

30. abbo10 says:

YES, YES, YES!!
    people do what ever it takes to get this game going =]
    the origonal was such a big part of my childhood- bring on tonstruck 2

31. Danda says:

I’m also showing TREMENDOUS INTEREST.

I played the original and it was great. And I would definitely pay full price for a Toonstruck 1 + 2 remastered release.

Hodge says:

I signed the petition and it’s just staggered past the 800 mark… or 2% of what they’re shooting for. Not going too well, is it?

33. Vestin says:

@Kast: Funny that you mention it, because the cover was pretty much the only reason I told my dad we were buying it… and I was 9 years old at the time.

34. TheTingler says:

Tremendous interest achieved! By me. Just release the damn thing on GOG kthx.

35. Southmaaaan says:

Great game!

There is a way to PLAY it on Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Just follow this guide; http://www.mediafire.com/?c33wx3camccaxu5

Did it myself on Windows 7, worked perfectly!