Black Ops Multiplayer Looks Like This

By Alec Meer on August 9th, 2010 at 7:24 pm.

I have very rarely played Modern Warfare 1 or 2 online, so pray forgive me for not knowing which bits of this video specifically-prompted the internet-wide squeeeee! earlier today. Looks broadly like I would expect it to look, and as I suspect it should look if it’s not to create titanic outrage – although I did particularly like the exploding crossbow. (Even though Timeshift did it first.)

“Full multiplayer reveal in September”, eh? I know Activision have been making some enormous claims about how much they’ve invested in that side of the game (even claiming CODBlOps is their biggest-ever launch), but it can be incredibly hard to differentiate between business-minded chest-thumping and genuine promises of spangly newness.

The game’s due for November, but I rather suspect we’ll be unable to escape coverage of it come September, as Activision may elect to steal the Autumnal limelight from Halo Reach and Medal of Honor.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. westyfield says:

I like the bit where the gun goes bang.

2. Alex Bakke says:

Hey look, it’s Modern Warfare 2!

3. Quasar says:

Recordable, editable killcams? Nice.

I enjoyed MW1 multiplayer, but whenever I played MW2 during one of those free weekends it smacked horribly of a game with far too much stuff in it.

Hopefully, Black Ops will be restrained enough to be enjoyable.

• Seras says:

exploding RC cars makes that seem unlikely =P

• Darkdobe says:

Yanno, I think you hit the nail on the head there as to why MW2 is, to me, inferior to the first. Way too much stuff thrown in – but nowhere so apparent as the clusterfuck level design. Gone is any semblance of tactics – it’s become a matter of luck since every corridor and arena in every level has about 50 different ways in and out.

4. Lord_Mordja says:

Well you certainly shoot people…

5. moose_juice says:

i’m pretty sure thats MW2 multiplayer, they must have gotten the title wrong

6. Duck says:

Okay, at first I was like “this is MW2 all over again”. Then I saw the replay/theater feature at the very end. All doubts aside, I immediately decided that I’m getting this game.

7. Devan says:

I think you should amend the crossbows comment to say “Timeshift did it previously”. I can think of at least one title (No one Lives Forever) that did it previouslier.
    Ahh, I love shaft projectile weapons. Especially when you can pump rounds into the ragdolls to make a porcupine-looking adversary.

8. Xercies says:

Hmm looks exactly the same as previous multiplayers…i don’t get the fanburst out of it.

9. Stizzy says:

I’m confused, is this MW1, MW2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, or Medal of Honor? They all look the same.

• Jason Moyer says:

If it were Bad Company 2 you’d see vehicles, team tactics, and things blowing up.

• Jason Moyer says:

Also, it would be more boner inducing, in general.

• Nick says:

Nah, you’d just see a bunch of people shooting each other with carl gustavs.

• Alexander Norris says:

GUSTAVS!

FOREVER!

• Jason Moyer says:

I find the best strategy against guys who take potshots with CG’s is to point your gun at their face and click a few times. YMMV.

• Nallen says:

Ban CG’s amirite?

• Jason Moyer says:

The Carl Gustav launcher is overpowered. Er, no, I mean, the M-60 LMG is overpowered. Wait, no, the VSS Vintorez is overpowered. Uh, what am I thinking…the AN-94 is overpowered.

Actually, what’s overpowered in BC2 are people who are good at the game and work with their team. Bitching about gameplay balance is easier, though.

• Alexander Norris says:

@Jason Moyer — nope, it’s still pretty much just the explosives that are overpowered against infantry and fucking annoying. Never mind the fact that anti-tank munitions don’t do much against infantry; the fact that even sniper rifles can’t one-shot people at anything outside of point-blank range unless they get a headshot is a pretty clear indication that the Carl “aim in general direction of enemy feet, score three kills in one shot” Gustav shouldn’t exist in its present form.

• Nick says:

Um, yeah, the M60 was overpowered and so is the Gustav, what’s your point? Oh and don’t get me started on the stupidity of insta kill 20 foot knife lunges. It’s ok though, the guys I played with have long since stopped playing it as have I, yes we could work together and win, but it wasn’t any fun getting there with no decent gunfights.

• Jason Moyer says:

The most overpowered guns in the game since day 1 have been most of the shotguns (loaded with sabot rounds) and the VSS. I’m fairly certain the only reason people don’t complain about them is because there are typically only a few people using them on any server. The combination of motion mines, the VSS or a shotgun, and C4 is unstoppable if you have enough ammo crates laying around.

10. Marco Antonio says:

Dedicate Servers+ Modern Warfare2+New Maps+ crossbow+ huge backstab =Epic Win

11. Daniel Rivas says:

I just want an RC car game now.

Obvious, perhaps inflammatory question: Will there be dedicated servers? I haven’t been keeping up, but apparently that’s a thing people want.

• Tomato says:

Yep, we’ll have dedicated servers.

• Wordy says:

Dedicated servers have not yet been confirmed by Treyarch.

• Wordy says:

Well, what he actually said is that he thinks dedicated servers are ‘excellent’, and everyone has taken that quote to mean they will definitely be in Black Ops, even though no one at Treyarch has explicitly said this in the several months since.

I think everyone will be a bit surprised if (when?) Activision decides that dedicated servers aren’t worth losing DLC money for and decides to ship Black Ops with another matchmaking system, leaving Treyarch to announce there will, in fact, be no dedicated servers, even though everyone had previously assumed there would be and it was in the final code of the game. Sound familiar to anyone?

• Tomato says:

Well, at the CoD:BO community event pcdev (http://twitter.com/pcdev), working on the game specifically on the PC aspect, showed up wearing a shirt saying dedicated servers, as did some others from Treyarch.
      At the above twitter pcdev also posts a tweet (god i hate that word) saying “server browser” a bunch of times. If those don’t confirm it I don’t know what will.

12. Emphursis says:

Counter Strike:Source is still far, far better.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Translation: Shooting army men in the face 2004 style is better than shooting army men in the face 2011 style.

How about playing something a little less generic for a change or would that be too much to ask?

13. Coldwave says:

Wait, how did a player-guy teleported to stab an enemy-guy?

Is it some black ops magic?

Never played CoD:MW.

14. LewieP says:

You can preorder it here for just £24.74

Or Medal of Honor for £18.54!

Limited offer, be quick.

15. WiPa says:

When do we find out who won the Starcraft 2 comp? :O

16. wazups2x says:

This time they actually decided to put in dedicated servers and many other PC features but I think it’s still going to be 60 dollars. So I will buy it as soon as it drops down to 50 dollars.

• Clovis says:

many other PC features

Besides mouse support and the ability to change the resolution? Wow! And I thought Treyarch were the ones that made the crappy CODs.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah looks like Treyarch outdid Infinity Ward.

• wazups2x says:

@Clovis

Yep. Treyarch seems to be heading the right direction with the PC version. Dedicated servers, server browser, command console, demo recorder, Changeable FOV, lean, and possible mod tools.

• Clovis says:

And it is optimized for lean?!? Surely, you jest, sir.

• wazups2x says:

@Clovis

Yeah, I thought COD games couldn’t be balanced to work with lean. It’s truly a miracle. Treyarch somehow achieved the impossible!

• Jad says:

If the game has all of those (particularly mod tools, since that’s something that’s somewhat rare, even among “PC friendly” devs, like DICE’s BF:BC2), then I am substantially closer to buying this. Still, will wait for reviews, as always.

17. Berzee says:

Turok had explosive crossbows.

18. stahlwerk says:

Oh my… why do these electronic people fight each other right next to a soyuz rocket launch? Why can’t they just marvel at this beautiful feat of soviet engineering?

Why oh why must they fight? ;-(

(captcha: “shub”)

19. Zyrxil says:

Spawns and Battle Lines. That’s what I want. No randomly solo around the map. No capping 3 domination points and then suddenly the other team is all over the place. TF2 Spawns, spawn protection, and real battle lines, and then it’s a game that doesn’t bore me after 2 months.

• Alexander Norris says:

You know the Domination spawns are done on purpose, right? It’s so the enemy can easily recapture one flag and have a base to spawn from, and so the mode is a little more involving than “hurr capture three flags, durr win” – the best strategy is to capture two and hold them.

• Malibu Stacey says:

So you basically saying you want Team Fortress 2 but with “realistic weapons” & “angry army men” models?

20. deanimate says:

Same old, same old. I’m a fan of FPS games I really am but damn this looks virtually identical to MW and MW2. Some minor changes I’m sure but ultimately no real upgrade. Don’t people get bored of the same damn thing year after year?

They could really do with some big innovation to allow the poor game to stand out. Maybe a huge towering badger that looks really cute but in reality is going to crush the fuck into anything it damn well wants to.

• mlaskus says:

Your badger idea seems to be inspired by Monthy Python. I approve.

• deanimate says:

I didn’t have the mighty pythons in mind admittedly but do you mean the giant foot that likes to squash things in Gilliam’s awesome animations?

DarkNoghri says:

Once again, TF2 is the great innovator in games.

Not a badger, but hey, what can you do?

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ deanimate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-4Ug0IgVo

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Yes. I have already played this game.
      Deathmatch? Deathmatch with flags?
      Time for something new I think.

Please people, STOP BUYING THESE GAMES so they stop making them and make something new and interesting.

• Chris says:

Badgers, you say? They wanted hippos that could do this in the original Halo (well, Matt Soell did) – and before someone accuses me of talking about console games, Halo was supposed to be a PC game before MS ate Bungie and turned it into an XBox sales device.

Still, a small white rabbit with a 1-shot kill melee attack would be neat…

– Chris.

21. Psychopomp says:

Killstreak of Duty:Running Around In a Circle Ops

22. Glow says:

Its not Battlefield: BC2 … the only squeal this induces from me is that its prompted me to go play Battlefield: BC2…and not COD. Ta’ra :)

23. rocketman71 says:

Wow, that was innovative!

Now, LAN.. that’s starting to feel really innovative. Let’s see how much the Kotick inserts his dirty hands into this.

24. ArtyFishal says:

“Me gun goes click, me gun goes bang”

25. Bungle says:

I don’t care if it looks like MW2. A lot of discriminating gamers like myself boycotted MW2 and we’re going through serious CoD withdrawals by now. That trailer gave me a raging boner. It will feel damn good to be back come November.

• wazups2x says:

Haha yeah, I never bought MW2 so this will be completely new for me. This will be the true PC version of MW2.

26. Alexander Norris says:

If Treyarch can not bungle the balance this time, this’ll basically be what MW2 should have been in the first place, and I will be very happy.

Please let Treyarch not bungle the balance this time. :(

27. Meatloaf says:

I liked the part where one man shot another.

28. Penguin says:

is that no-recoil mod or something?

you can kiss my hat than..

29. XM says:

I’m going to give MOH a chance, fed up of the same COD games now.

30. Scott says:

No matter how much stuff is thrown in, on PC mods can be made to strip it down to what people want, so long as dedis and mod tools are released as they are supposed to be. So, if it is too much, sucks for Xbox owners xD.

31. Gack says:

Obvious troll is obvious.

32. Tei says:

Based on this video, I score the game 10/10. But I will not buy either. Already played it, and is not my tea cup.

33. Gick says:

1.6

34. Captain McSpanky says:

I still want a spear gun. Man…is the most exciting thing to hunt after all

35. Mac says:

Re-release of CoD4 then?

36. dudekiller says:

It looks exactly the same? Check out 1:10. Apparently now you can go to war in brown leather loafers with Cuban heels and a sky-blue duffel coat.

Ability to look fabulous: CONFIRMED. Day one purchase.

37. N says:

WHERE THE HELL IS MAH RECOIL AT?!

No, rally, you’d think after BC2 they would get with the fuckin program.

• Bungle says:

The video was obviously from a console version. It isn’t uncommon for console versions to have no recoil when the PC version is more realistic. Hopefully that’s the case here.

38. Gunsmith AKA NanosuitNinja says:

i will never purchase another activision title as long as bobby kotic is breathing and still in charge.

39. Jez says:

lol… fckn Engineers. lol

40. Kandon Arc says:

After playing the MOH beta, I’m pretty sure that it will be the true successor to CoD4’s multiplayer which I loved so much. This looks like MW2 taken to even more ridiculous levels. Exploding RC cars? Sentry cameras? I know these games were never realistic, but they used to at least keep the illusion of realism. It’ll be interesting to see which game does better come release though.

41. GHudston says:

I never really got into MW2 but… RC car bomb? Sold.

42. Kevbo says:

Its all about balance in my opinion. MW1 was a great multiplayer game with a decent balance of weapons and perks etc. It wasn’t perfect but it was FUN. For MW2 they basically just kept adding more and more stuff without once really looking at how balanced the game would be.

Cod:World at War was also a decent game that built MW1 in a ww2 setting and added in the dogs (which were absolutely phenomenal in my opinion) but kept it moderately balanced. It looks like Black Ops is going a similar route but hopefully they will keep balance in mind.

Finally as long as dedicated servers and modding tools come out, I will buy since for me that will extend replay value and make the game into what I want.

43. Adam says:

I’m all for a great game, no matter the BS or Money Grabbing involved. If it rocks, it rocks. And the COD series delivers the goods. The one beef I do have is the Multiplayer in MW2 as compared to a Bad Co. or even CS:S it that there NEEDS to be specific spawn points, I rage quit from time to time while playing MW2 online cuz it feels like it get blasted in the ass every other round : )
    Ohh and by the way. WP 3.0.1 is avilable, lol.

44. Navagon says:

Man, these spot the difference competitions Activision keep throwing at us are getting tougher and tougher.

Scandalon says:

I think the part that has the CoD fans happy is there weren’t any people insta-killing with a knife from the other side of the map. :P

• Navagon says:

Oh don’t worry. They’ll find other ways of leaving the multiplayer a horrible experience for all. After all, it’s pretty obvious they’re taking their cues from Infinity Ward.

Scandalon says:

Also, Alec, there’s no way this can out-shout Reach, is there?

46. Landlocked says:

Just remembered the one thing I want Treyarch to do above all else: Remove the perk “Stopping Power”, I’m certain everyone can understand why

47. Unitentionallysuperlongwittyandhumeruoususername says:

RE: exploding crossbow

“timeshit did it first”

Um it’s called half-life, hello!?

48. BeamSplashX says:

I’d love a military FPS with Ninja Gaiden logic. Sure, you can chip away at people with your puny RPG-7 if you wish, but a solid air-juggle with the knife finished with an izuna drop is where the real deal’s at.

Also, jiggly soldiers.

49. Nallen says:

So MW2 with MOAR SMOKE?

50. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

As much as I was going to say “Yawn MW2 all over again”, I kind of like the zany extras; crossbows, ballistic knives.. exploding RC cars.

Might have to give this a shot.