The Future Of Everquest: Everquest Next

By Jim Rossignol on August 9th, 2010 at 4:44 pm.

EQ’s Fan Faire event in Las Vegas has had a big reveal: the working title for the next Everquest title is… Everquest Next. Which is exciting, I suppose, because it means that there really is another Everquest game in the works. EQWire totally blogged the panel in which the new game was mentioned, and although details remain fairly scant, it seems that Everquest Next will be more like the original game, and with a lovely PvP focus for people who like the fantasy mega-biff.

So that’s that. What about PlanetSide Next, eh? We await with mild anticipations.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Jim9137 says:

I cannot fail to notice the enthusiasm sparkling from this post, like the rays of sun through the forest ceiling dewed mildly by the spring drops.

And then it thundered. Verily.

2. Smithy says:

Sweet sounds good to me the orginal eq was a great game toss in some pvp and awesomeness..

3. Mac says:

PVP – in Everquest Bah !!!

They should stick to what tehy are good at and focus on a PVE game … PVP in EQ has always been a dogs breakfast – infact, I can’t think of a mainstream MMO where PVP actually works well?

I guess Dark Age of Camelot came teh closest to nailing it, but that still turned into groups on follow training around and the winner was decided by who got the mez off first.

It also leads to character nerfs, etc to try and balance PVP, which inevitably breaks PVE …

I’d love to hear how they are planning to avoid these problems …

Maybe sticking to what you are good at and putting effort into PVE and perfectly tuning that would give them a marketing edge?

• Antilogic says:

Eve Online, Planetside, to name just 2.

• Nick says:

As long as the dev team doesn’t hate druids and bards..

• Mac says:

@Antilogic, but those two games were designed as PVP games, and Planetside does not have any PVE in any case.

4. Nick says:

Misreply! But yeah, Guild Wars does PvP quite well.

• Shagittarius says:

Guildwars wasn’t an MMO, it was Diablo with graphical chat rooms.

• Grey_Ghost says:

The best part about Guild Wars is when they separated their PvP balance changes from PvE and vice versa.

5. ExplosiveCoot says:

I love the fact that this concept art captures what made EQ1 so visually appealing. EQ2′s art direction was a huge disappointment.

• Ezhar says:

That, and the generic skills with little class differentiation (oh look, my brawler skills are like warrior skills with a different name!). And the whole good town vs. evil town split. That was a dumb idea copied from WoW and made worse.

I’d love to see something new that recaptures the spirit of the original EQ.

• Nick says:

Eh? EQ1 had good towns and evil towns (and neutral towns) and racial factions based off that.

6. ScubaMonster says:

This could be pretty cool if they actually do want to go back to make it more like the first game. I’d actually want to play this then.

7. Swyyw says:

I doubt PVP will be a huge part of the thing, I think they’re just saying that they’re keeping PVP in mind when designing the game, not hacked on like in the earlier games.

8. James G says:

I’m always a bit surprised to be reminded about Everquest. Never played the game, but I remember it getting a lot of coverage, and then the sequel came, but was rapidly overshadowed by the behemoth that is WoW. I’ve barely heard anything of Everquest since WoW took the crown. (So much so that I had mentally filed EQII as pre-dating WoW by a few years, Wikipedia indicates that the came out pretty much at the same time.)

9. BeamSplashX says:

Are they keeping the treadmill combat?

10. Bob says:

PvP games always do well!

11. malkav11 says:

How wonderful. The only details so far emerged (except for a couple of astonishingly pretty shots that are supposedly in-game but probably aren’t) are both exactly the wrong direction. Everquest 1 was popular, sure, but it’s a stunningly awful game in many respects, and remains so even after a dozen or so expansions worth of tweaking out some of the worst bits. It is barely conceivable that there are a few quirkier ideas from EQ that would be worth bringing into a third MMO in the franchise, but I’m doubtful that that’s their intent. Secondly, one of the things I love best about EQII is that it is unabashedly a PvE MMO and until very recently barely so much as tipped its hat to the idea of PvP. This is a brilliant decision, in my book, as there simply isn’t any other major MMO that doesn’t try to roughly shoe-horn in a PvP game (or, horrors, focus on it). And while I don’t begrudge PvPers some games of their own, I don’t see why it needs to be in every single game.

12. Scandalon says:

Up next, Meridian 10?

13. user@example.com says:

At first I was all “Ooh!”, then I looked at the picture and had flashbacks to levelling to 20 in EQ2′s Faydark. Oh god. Spending hours in a forest seems nice at first until you realise it means there will never be sunlight.

Ugh, PvP as a major focus? PvE pls.

Perhaps I should just resub to Vanguard. Mm, Vanguard.

14. Ovno says:

And warhammer, I loved the PVP in that, its just a pity the population density dropped so much…

15. Wyrm says:

…waits for the announcement that it’ll be on PS3…

16. Ubernutz says:

I’m actually working on a new Planetside now. So far I’ve managed to stick some cats teeth to a piece of glass, and the ‘A’ button from an old xbox controller.

It’s a work in progress. But at least I’ve sorted the sound effects – ‘pe – pew – pew – ta – ta – tat – neeyow – BOOF’

17. Surgeon says:

“So that’s that. What about PlanetSide Next, eh?”

Tell me about it.
    I’ve even re-subbed in the vague hope of satisfying the void.

Bad Company 2 is full of awesome, but once you’ve had some 100 vs. 100 vs. 100 three way action, you can never truly go back…