Can I See Some id? Announcement Tonight

By Quintin Smith on August 12th, 2010 at 12:16 pm.

Maybe they'll announce that it's called D44M and we'll all have to kill ourselves.

Veteran news-commandos over at Eurogamer have spotted a tweet by John Carmack saying that id will be announcing a new game at QuakeCon tonight. In all likelihood this’ll happen during his keynote speech, which starts at 8:30pm UK time or 2:30pm Dallas / CDT time.

What could it be! Well, we kind of know what it’ll be. It’ll be Doom 4. We know id started work on Doom 4 back in 2008, and in 2009 they said that they’d be talking about it at QuakeCon 2010. Still, exciting! We only have some 10 hours of precious ignorance left! Let’s make some wild assumptions. I think Doom 4 will be a shooter, featuring some kind of gun, with emergent weaponry based on repurposing the body parts of various demons. Like, dual-wielded kidneys, or perhaps a whip made of intestines. What do you think, readers?

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pepper says:

Oooh! I hope you can sling explosive/metal bits in the general direction of angry-looking-but-never-talked-to creatures that may or may not have had the intention of harming me before they were hit by previously described bit!

2. Pardoz says:

Magic Schadenfreude 8-Ball predicts that this will be an isometric-view turn-based tactical squad combat game.

3. Vague-rant says:

Intriguing. Isn’t today the announcement of Irrational’s next project too? Stealing the spotlight, just coincidence, or they’re working on the same thing?

(coincidence)

• frymaster says:

given the dates of quakecom predate irrational’s announcement, it’s proabably coincidence, which is a shame. I’ve not had a good controversy in a while :(

• smokingkipper says:

let me quote…

“Lest hardcore gamers fear Carmack is going soft, he notes his fights to simplify “Doom 3″ haven’t always been successful. He admits the id Software developers got into bitter arguments about whether to include “crouch” and “use” keys in the upcoming game. (He lost the debate over “crouch” – which now appears – but convinced the team there was no need for a “use” key.) “

• smokingkipper says:

please ignore my reply, was meant for my reply further down

4. Max says:

I think there will be blood

5. smokingkipper says:

The only thing I can say for certain, is that it will be pretty much like the other Dooms.

I am sure I heard something about how John Carmack was arguing about having a “use” button in their games, for fear of it taking away from the “pure” shooter experience. Or was that just the Quake series?

lhzr says:

all doom and quake games had a ‘use’ key. how else could you flip those coloured switches??

• Tusque d'Ivoire says:

actually, Doom 3 did not have a use key.

Instead, the crosshair rather ingeniously became a mouse cursor on all in-game interfaces. I loved it, and it really hasn’t been done that much since, which is a shame.

speaking of which. i should really complete doom 3 before next shoot-ugly-creatures-in-darkness is released.

• Ricc says:

Painkiller didn’t have a use key and would have been worse, if it had one. You could consider it “what Doom 3 should have been”.

• smokingkipper says:

let me quote…

• ZamFear says:

@Ihzr

None of the Quake games had a use key. 1-3 automatically activated things when you bumped into them, and 4 used the same system as Doom 3.

lhzr says:

wow, so they were even more basic than i remembered. thanks for breaking my rosey glasses :(

6. bildo says:

Prediction: Doom 4 will have more open spaces. Just wait. It will have creepy corridors AND spaces a plenty via idtech5. you heard it here first.

7. Turin Turambar says:

Actually, i don’t think he was referring to Doom 4. Doom 4 is already “known”. I think teh Carmack was talking about some new unannounced iPhone game.

8. Ian says:

If there are open spaces then where will they stick the monsterclosets?

Monster port-a-loos, perhaps.

sonofsanta says:

Inspired by the Interactive Fiction field and that bit at the end of ME1 where you talk Saren into doing the job himself, Doom 4 will be a psychotherapy-‘em-up where you trade chainsaws for couches and talk to the demons about where this deep-seated need for destruction comes from and does it still hurt that their Daddy ran out on them when they were only 4 eons old?

Also, Quinns, seeing as you now post as much as the rest of the Hivemind combined, when are you actually getting your credit at the bottom of the site? I bet you’re a better healer than John as well.

10. Alexander Norris says:

Also tonight: Project Icarus announcement, nay?

11. Cunzy1 1 says:

There’s going to be a Wii port that requires the simultaneous use of the balance board, zapper and the wheel.

• BAReFOOt says:

That would be awesome! I’d buy that! But only if it includes a full keyboard with every key mapped at least twice. ;)

12. MD says:

Maybe this time you can talk to the monsters. BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS, I don’t know what to think about id these days. The whole Zenimax Media thing makes me wonder how much Carmack still cares.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yes having the opportunity to work with/alongside Bethesda must suck balls. I wonder where he gets the motivation to get up in the morning……

(fyi sarcasm just incase your detector needs new batteries)

• MD says:

Malibu Stacey, almost every post I’ve seen you make at RPS contains some combination of passive aggression, arrogance or plain old trolling. Please leave me out of your plans, whatever they are.

13. terry says:

The trouble with these mysterious sort of announcements is that whatever is twitching behind the curtain is, in my head, more awesome than whatever will be revealed :-(

It’s obviously a one-button cover-based shooter with retro stylings and a jaunty chip soundtrack, with a story that is a metaphor for animal testing.

14. Meat Circus says:

Exciting in the way, say, an egg mayonaise sandwich is exciting.

• Baboonanza says:

I’ve got a homemade egg-mayonaise sandwich (with homemade bread too) for lunch.

I’m really excited about it.

AndrewC says:

What’s that? You’re rough-cutting a freshly boiled egg? Mixing it with egg yolk and olive oil? A touch of mustard? Paprika too? All between two thick slices of wholemeal bread still warm from the oven! Goddamn am I excited! And I’m getting a blow job while i’m eating it too! WIN!

(The ingredients represent, like graphics and and light RPG systems and stuff. The blow job represents talking with the monsters, mostly in the sense of it not going to happen).

sonofsanta says:

Me too, although not so luxurious as to have homemade bread. But still, it was lovely, and I have been looking forward to it all morning.

This doesn’t make me said, oh no; it makes me very happy, as it happens.

So I’d say exciting in the same way that roadworks are, or something.

• BAReFOOt says:

How can you eat that? I swear I’d throw up violently, if I had to eat that. It’s like eating margarine, pure, with a spoon, except even more disgusting.

• MWoody says:

@Barefoot: Are you talking about the sandwich or the blowjob?

15. pakoito says:

David Carradyne would have loved it.

16. Baboonanza says:

Doom 4, flashlights monter closets, yada yada yada.

Update your blog Quinns! I want o know how your ridiculous backpacking saga cum LSD trip went!

17. coldwave says:

Doom 3 was a scary game, I only wish System Shock was as good.

Just listen, you enter a dark room and then it turns pitch black, yellow portals and red pentagrams appear and from there three imps emerge.

What a brilliant game design.

Phinor says:

Any idea if there’s going to be an Internet stream of the keynote or the various panels during the event? There’s Quake Live TV but as far as I could figure it out, they only show the competitive gaming matches. Or am I wrong?

19. bildo says:

nice trollin’ bro.

drewski says:

id are bringing Granny Shooter 5 inhouse.

21. LewieP says:

It’s going to be a new Commander Keen for sure.

22. Ricc says:

Doom 4 news and the imminent announcement of Irrational’s new game make this the best day since… at least last Friday!

23. Moni says:

John Carmack is one of those fascinating people who has so much stuff to say, so I’m looking forward to hearing the keynote.

Also his Twitter is really interesting, almost indecipherable, but interesting nonetheless.

24. Demon Beaver says:

Left 4 Doom? You and three other gritty space marines of various backgrounds fight your way through demon Hordes, controlled by the all powerful Producer. From time to time you encounter “Super-Demons” which challenge you to a specific type of team-play. There’s a horrible monster known as the Warlock, which sits in a corner, silently chuckling to itself until you point your flashlight at it.
    You and the other Space Marines quip about the situation and how such an unlikely quartet ended up together in this Demon Apocalypse.

25. smokingkipper says:

Anyone ever try that Dungeon Doom mod? An attempt to bring Zangband/nethack into the Doom 3 engine in realtime.

I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe they could bring more of a random level element into the new game.

26. Bob's Lawn Service says:

I’m still waiting for Rage Mr. Smartyman.

27. Nobody Important says:

Also, Little Sisters will appear.

Sagan says:

The tweet by John Carmack was

I’m showing something neat and unannounced at quakecon tomorrow. Deciding if I should leave it be or sneak a little more code in…

I’m almost certain that that means that it’s not going to be Doom 4. “neat?” That doesn’t sound like Doom 4 at all. I predict something related to rendering, maybe a glimpse at the next id tech.

• rebb says:

Yep, it sounds a lot like some tasty tech bit, not like a full blown game.
      But we’ll see anyway.

29. Azazel says:

Carmack has reverse engineered Super Mario Bros. 3 and has it running on an analogue watch.

30. RakeShark says:

Quake V announcement: The return to the Lovecraftian Hell.

Goddamned fiends and shamblers. And those flying things that piss on you.

31. Jac says:

Quake 3 had a use key for med kits

• Malibu Stacey says:

No it didn’t, you just ran through them & they healed you if you were less than fully healed.

• ZamFear says:

@Jac
      I totally forgot about that. But “use inventory item” isn’t what most people mean by “use key” :)
      @Malibu Stacy
      Not, quite. Quake 3 had a (very limited) inventory system. You could only carry one item at a time, and there were, I think, only ever two inventory items in the whole game. One was a teleport that dropped you someplace random, the other was a med-kit / syringe thing that healed you.

32. Tei says:

A reimagination of the Quake franchise, as a Lovercraftian horror game, in a sub, in the artic, with a fresh inventity system to create your own properties. Somewhat like John Carmack’s Bioshock….. QuakeShock?

33. internisus says:

Fingers crossed for nonviolent walking around, interacting with sweet computer screens and steadily gaining higher security clearance!

34. zornbringer says:

all i know about doom4 is that it will have a 30fps limit. and i think i remember something about more open spaces, but not sure… anyways. there will be something interesting for me to read tomorrow morning.

• Dominic White says:

I think Carmack is going a bit senile in his old age. He has made some truly baffling decisions lately.

Doom 4: Capped at 30fps, because even if your PC is capable of more, it’s VERY TECHNICAL AND WE CAN’T EXPLAIN IT.

Rage: Matchmaking-based multiplayer without servers, because that’s the way forward and not at all how you get laggy games hosted by one guy with a ridiculous ping advantage.

Doom iPhone: We removed the one halfway-decent control system from the options menu, because nobody mentioned they could use it. You can reenable it via a hidden console command, but it’s not documented at all.

35. Andy says:

Carmack has said in an interview that it’ll be at least a decade before they produce another new IP so that they can support the ones they already have.
    So even if we can’t be totally certain (just mostly certain) that this announcement will be Doom 4 we can say for sure it’s not something brand new.

Commander Keen remake anyone?

36. JKjoker says:

i just cant get excited about this after Doom3, i want explanations about the duct tape thing, i just cant believe the thought that “not being able to use the light and a weapon at the same time” was completely retarded just happened to slip everyone at the dev team, testers and previewer’s minds, that freaking crap was an outright specific design decision, i want answers

• Malibu Stacey says:

A horror game where you have to choose between being able to see or being able to shoot? Design decisions which in indie games would be praised as innovative but in mainstream games are lambasted?

Oh right, internet. I forgot (again). Apologies will try harder in future.

• Andy_Panthro says:

In the future people forget how to mount flashlights on guns.

• JKjoker says:

or to tie things, or using duct tape or holding both weapon and flashlight at the same time, or mounting highlights on heavy space armor that limits mobility and visibility (like the one you wear), or having head mounted light helmets on dark places, or putting emergency lights in starships/spacestation and i could keep going, jeez i have a led flashlight that illuminate better than doom3’s brick, has 1/5 the size, already comes with a sticker like thing behind to paste it on the wall and lasts more than the duration of the game with just one set of batteries

and btw, have you played any Silent Hill ? you have lights on all the ones i played and they are a lot more scary and doom3 and its “always spawn behind you after the sound cue” enemies

MonkeyMonster says:

I’m still chuckling at the idea of dual weilded kidneys… perhaps you can combine them together with a stretch of oesophagus and create a bolus…

/gets coat

38. Duoae says:

Are there going to be any links to a livestream of this? I can only find ones that are defunct or from previous years (e.g. IGN or UStream).

39. Zinic says:

If it is Doom 4, I just hope they’ll do a way better job than Quake 4.

… but what happend to RAGE?

• Ricc says:

@Zinic:

Nothing happened to RAGE. It was at e3 and will be at QuakeCon, certainly.

• Chris says:

Simultaneous games development is huge in the industry now.

40. Zogtee says:

It’s a tricky one, this. I don’t really believe he will announce Doom 4, but if he does, then it will have to walk carefully between new ideas and old ones. I’ve played Doom back and forth, sideways, upwards, in and out, and I’m done. If D4 is nothing more than a cosmetic update, then I couldn’t care less about it. If it has loads of new ideas, then the traditonalists will hate it.

Also, monster closets = fuck this game.

41. Rendering says:

Quake for the Iphone?

42. Madjack says:

Doom4, the MMO.
    Because every second game these days has to be an MMO apparently.

But if it’s another monster closet + gloomy hallway dash then as Zogtee mentions – fuck it.

Go back to the wide open levels filled with scores of enemies and I may deign to have a look.

43. WJonathan says:

If nothing else it’s encouraging that the fellows are expending lots of energy arguing about groundbreaking innovations like “use” keys. I can only imagine what revolutionary new ideas they’re cooking up for us.

(Disclaimer: In this post I used sarcasm to make a point.)

44. Madjack says:

Doom + Total War = win!

45. Perjoss says:

Wasn’t Quake4 made by Raven?
    I’d much rather see a new Quake game by id with a single player ‘story’ to it. I loved Quake 3 but I also loved Quake 1 and 2 for the single player.

• Radiant says:

Singularity wasn’t that bad.
      It wasn’t great but it was on par with say…Wolfenstein [the old new one not the new new one I haven’t played yet]

46. Radiant says:

Please be good!
    1) Do something with the corridor if you must have one.
    2) No identical monsters right next to each other.
    3) I NEVER WANT TO BACK PEDDLE IN A SHOOTER.
    Firing at an on rushing monster whilst blindly walking backwards is rubbish. Either I stand my ground or I strafe to the side…you know like I did in DOOM.
    4) Please be good.

• Sarlix says:

1) Laminate flooring?
      2) Twins do exist in the monster world you know!
      3) Side peddle is the new back peddle?
      4) Sorry I’m being an arse.

• Zogtee says:

After thinking about it, I would like to see some actual AI, beyond the “see player = shoot player” kind. I do want to see monsters getting pissed at each other and start fighting. I always liked that about Doom and it’s so very rare in games.

I think I can condense this down to “fun, no bullshit, and colors other than brown”. Yeah, that’s what I want.

47. Jimbo says:

Slightly shinier monsters jump out of closets. Exciting.

48. Dreamhacker says:

I’m not sure I can conjure any enthusiasm up for this…

49. Chris says:

I don’t care what it is, as long as your character goes ‘UMPH!’ every time you press the use key against a wall.

50. BAReFOOt says:

*looks in the dictionary*
    DOOM… hmm… DOOM… aah, here we have it:
    “look under YADSWNIAA”
    Allright then… YADSWNIAA does mean…:
    “Yet Another Default Shooter With No Innovation At ALL”
    Great! I’m back to bed! ID is dead.