Snow Crash: Solipskier

By Quintin Smith on August 12th, 2010 at 11:47 am.

It borrows heavily from Kirby: Canvas Curse on the DS, which-- sorry? Oh. Right. PC gaming site.

Sorry I started yesterday with a taxing piece of freeware. Here, let me make up for it with another morsel snatched from the groaning tables of the Indie Games blog- Solipskier is a moreish browser game that sees you earning points by navigating a skier between posts, through tunnels and over jumps. Except you don’t control the skier! Aha! No. You control the landscape, painting it into appropriate slopes with the mouse. The physics can be a little rickety, but the game makes up for it with the moments where you accidentally flick your skier into orbit or throw up a wall for him to collide with. If you want something to shoot for, I managed a score of around 10,000,000. Feel free to embarrass me, you grubby lot.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gabriel Knewell says:

Snow Crash eh?

I refuse to rise to the bait.

2. Ian says:

Couldn’t get above about 2 million thus far.

3. Songbearer says:

Oh man this is so good. A little awkward to begin with, but once you hit your flow you won’t ever want your skiier to stop.

Which is why it’s heartbreaking when you cock it up and he plummets to a 500mph death. At least there’s no yeti!

4. Shazbut says:

11 mil, but i’m sticking with this. This is one of the best browser games I’ve seen

• Shazbut says:

27 mil currently. It’s a good game because it makes you desperate for speed. When you’re going fast it’s not only easier to score, but it’s more fun. I think, a lot of games like this make you not want to go fast because it just makes it more likely that you’ll die. Here you absolutely crave it.

• Shazbut says:

The grammar and syntax was horrible there because I want to get back to the game

5. LukeAllstar says:

6.7 million is my best so far, but i will try harder!

My Name on Kongregate is “Luke91″
    post you Kongregate Names here so we can compare :)

6. Koozer says:

Kirby’s Power Paintbrush anyone?

7. Quasar says:

Am I the only one who thinks this’d be great on a touchscreen? I’d certainly buy it for my iTouch.

• JuJuCam says:

The death screen has a little mobile icon you can click on to go to the app store page…

8. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Chopin at the death screen. Sweet.

9. Serenegoose says:

Man, I suck at this game. I think I’ve got a bit over a million so far. I’m just not very good at making the guy go fast, but yet I CRAVE SPEED SO MUCH that I end up trying to make him do a jump and hitting a wall or something. I am a failure at ski-based landscaping. :(

10. trjp says:

The trick is clearly making gentle direction changes – he only slows on STEEP hills and speeds-up enormously on even a slight downhill.

The ‘canabalt-like’ bad bit is that when you’re flying, stuff comes up too fast. I’m still not really ‘ready’ for jumps – they tend to kill me most often – but it’s a lovely little game.

• Berzee says:

Yeah, what also helps is to keep the landscape very slightly wobbling up and a down, because I think he speeds up on downslopes more than he slows down on upslopes.

only 9mil so far though, so I am hardly the expert on ski-based landscaping.

• LukeAllstar says:

a good trick is to not make high jumps, just stop pressing your mouse key for a second so he ‘jumps’ through the checkpoint things and you will get a nice point boost
      i just do really big jumps after tunels
      i got to 10m+ with this technique :)

Devenger says:

Wonderful game. A bit annoyed that jumps aren’t given a distance indicator (they tend to stymie my best efforts by surprise).

12. Berzee says:

Bwa, 17mil, I beat Quinns, I can stop. =P

13. mike says:

It’s out for all iOS devices actually! iPad play is pretty dang awesome, if I say so myself :)

14. jeremypeel says:

I’m so far behind you folks on the score front!

Absolutely love this though – failing and thwumping down through several screens to a death accompanined by dryly amusing ‘ski tips’ still gets guffaws from me. As others have said, the speed is really satisfying and as new-junkie Shazbut implies, highly, highly addictive.

Also, surprisingly polished and aesthetically pretty great; was really impressed when I noticed the trees sprouting violently to life as the slope pops into existence.

Gameplay takeaway for the devs on here has to be: if failing is made to be nearly as fun as succeeding, your player will spend longer enjoying your game.

15. Seymour says:

Welll, I don’t think I will be going back to Cannabalt for a while, and I do love that game…

Eric says:

22,915,727. And that’ll be all for awhile I think, though I did buy the iPhone version.

Great little game.

17. fallingmagpie says:

I got 7 million. I was happy. Checked the high score page out of interest, and number one is 2,036,816,659. He has played it three hundred thousand times though.