The RPS Bargain Bucket: Knee-Deep

By Lewie Procter on August 14th, 2010 at 11:17 am.

This week’s BB is about twice as long as usual, because it’s filled with massive lists of discounted games. Beautiful discounted games, where would we be without them? We’d be a lot poorer, and we’d have slightly less ways to entertain ourselves on a Saturday afternoon, and that’s no fun. Buckle yourselves in, hold on tight, brace yourselves and get ready for yet another selection of the finest gaming offers available this weekend. Remember to keep an eye on the now fully fixed (!) SavyGamer.co.uk for all the bargains, all the time.

QuakeCon Stuff
ZeniMax Media Incorporated, the grownups in suits behind Bethesda, id and as of the other day Arkane Studios, have got games from id and the B discounted on Steam this week, to coincide with QuakeCon. All weekend there is the QuakeCon 2010 Pack available for £49.99/€69.99/$69.99 which contains everything id and Bethesda have on Steam. They also have a different offer on each day.

Right now (but not for very long):
Doom Pack Complete – £7.81/€13.59/$13.59, Contains (and individual prices):
The Ultimate Doom – £2.03/€3.39/$3.39
Doom II – £2.03/€3.39/$3.39
Master Levels for Doom II – £2.03/€3.39/$3.39
Doom 3 – £4.75/€6.79/$6.79
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil – £4.75/€6.79/$6.79
Final Doom – £2.03/€3.39/$3.39

Saturday:
Fallout 3 [GOTY] – £14.99/€24.99/$24.99
(regular edition might be discounted too)

Sunday:
QUAKE Collection – Not quite sure of the pricing on this one, should be pretty cheap.
Includes:
QUAKE,
QUAKE Mission Pack: Dissolution of Eternity,
QUAKE Mission Pack: Scourge of Armagon,
QUAKE II,
QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero,
QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning,
QUAKE III Arena,
QUAKE III: Team Arena
(games might be individually discounted too)

It’s all good stuff. The Doom pack especially. Very few modern action games move at the pace of something like Doom. You get the WADs, so you can grab the likes of ZDoom and play it at silly big resolutions, with proper mouselook and other enhancements. I don’t find that any of the QUAKE games hold up quite so well, they’re really horrible looking, and QUAKE LIVE is basically QUAKE 3 for free.

Booster Trooper – £3.99/€4.49/$4.99
Also available in a four pack for £2.99/€3.37/$3.75 each. Also also free to play this weekend (check your Steam Library). This is a multiplayer centric shooter/jetpacker, where everything takes place on a 2D plane, but with shiny 3D graphics. Let me know what you think of this one in the comments please.

Puzzlebots, PC – £7.88/€8.24/$9.99
This is a puzzle centric point and clicker, from Erin Robinson/Wadjet Eye Games. This is a permanent price reduction, not just a temporary offer, so you have plenty of time to *USE* credit card on *INTERNET*. This trailer right here might give you a good idea of what to expect, and there is a demo right here.

Gish – Pay what you want
If you haven’t already got it from the various bundles it’s been in, here’s your chance to get the platformer where you play a sticky ball. It’s Windows/Mac/Linux friendly, and it’s just been updated to include 40 new user created levels. It’s a good chance to get some practice in the run up to playing as Gish in Super Meat Boy, as he’s one of the many unlockable characters. I recommend you pay at least £3/€3.67/$4.70.

Deal of the week
Leave Home – £1.95/€2.43/$3
Delightfully minimalist scrolling shooter, it’s gorgeous to look at, and the dynamic difficulty means that it’s only ever slightly too hard. I’m pretty sure how it works is that it looks at how well you did in the previous level, and just spawns less enemies if you suck. The presentation is miles better than most full price games, and the menus are all *swish* *woosh* and other such onomatopoeic movements. The PC version just got updated to have better resolution support too, before it wouldn’t spit out 1920×1080, but now it can (and lots of other resolutions too). This discount is available for the next three months. Demo here, the developers blog here.

Also of note:
GamersGate have Painkiller on sale. All of them. I think Pandemonium is the one you want, but they haven’t made it particularly clear what all the packs contain.
Fort Zombie – £1.98/€2.48/$2.48
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena – £4.98/€4.98/$4.98 (has nasty TAGES drm)
Red Faction: Guerrilla – £3.73/€9.98/$4.96 (THQ again proving how much they hate Europe).
Phantasmagoria Promo at GOG.

Also, bonus deal:
For this weekend only you can preorder the (Steamworks) retail release of Fallout: New Vegas for £22.93 delivered, or Fallout 3 [GOTY] & New Vegas preorder for £30.86 delivered. Cracking price, and loads cheaper than £29.99 preorder discount on Steam. They ship pretty much everywhere inside the EU for 99p per item, and internationally £2.35 per item, so it might even be better than your local prices for none-UKers. Details here.

As always, keep checking out SavyGamer.co.uk got all your cheap gaming needs.

__________________

« | »

1. Vandelay says:

Disappointing offer on Fallout 3: GOTY. It can be had from Amazon for £10.85 and you get one of those shiny new box things I hear a lot about.

Already got the Doom pack and been enjoying Doom 1. Shockingly, I have actually only ever played shareware Doom, so the episodes after the first are a complete mystery to me. Don’t even think I’ve ever played Doom 2.

Already owned Doom 3, but not got the expansion. I didn’t hate 3 as much as most people, so I’m sure I will probably get some enjoyment out of the expansion too. They just aren’t Doom though.

• Dyst says:

I totally agree. I’m a massive fan of Doom 1 and 2 but Doom 3 seems very, very… standard.

In other news, Booster Trooper isn’t very good but for £3.99 you can’t go wrong.

• ArtyFishal says:

DOOOM! To anybody that hasn’t played Doom 3: It gets an unwarranted bad rap. I think it is a love it or hate it game. I love it! It has to be one of my favorite FPSs, and it is definitely one of the most frightening games ever made. It is tense and fun and with an awesomely stupid story. I think if you push threw and accept the game design choices you will find its charm, at this price you should give it a try.

• BAReFOOt says:

Frightening? Naah. More like “stupid in-your-face shockers“. System Shock (2) and Alien vs. Predator were frightening!

• DrGonzo says:

I thought System Shock 2 had pretty much the exact same atmosphere of Doom 3. Also, it was incredibly scream in your face too.

Doom 3 is criticised too harshly on it’s scares and System Shock 2 is praised way too much. Don’t get me wrong though, System Shock 2 is a brilliant game.

• pupsikaso says:

Doom 3 has one too many AARGH-MONSTER-IN-MY-FACE moments, yes, but what it has that most other games doesn’t is that it /keeps/ the frightful atmosphere even between the fighting. It does that through superb sound and level design.
      While a game like Deadspace has only the first and absolutely none of the latter, and Penumbra has all of the latter and completely breaks the atmosphere once you actually do see what it is that is frightening you – Doom 3 has both of it in perfect balance.

• Jason Moyer says:

I always think of Doom 3 as a haunted house. You know when you pick up that gun you’re going to get mobbed, or that any second now an imp is going to pop out of a false wall behind you, but you get startled and start firing wildly anyway. I actually found Doom 3 much more fun than something like Metro 2033, which basically did the same things but tried to realistic it up Stalker style, taking away a lot of the basic visceral fun.

• Fumarole says:

One too many?

2. Heliocentric says:

Watching the comings and goings on gamersgate (a few titles discounted without being mentioned in the newsletter) i think we can expect a strategy week from monday onwards.

With paradox that could be a biggy.

3. Sagan says:

The German Quakecon thingie only includes Call of Cthulu, Commander Keen, Doom 3, Fallout 3 and the two Elder Scrolls games, and it is 35€. (the rest of the games is banned or was never released in Germany) For once I think that us Germans have got a better deal than the rest of the world. I’d rather pay those 35€ and only get two games that I don’t want than 70€ and get a lot of games that I don’t want. Except of course, that Fallout 3 is slightly censored in the German version.

I don’t think that the rest of the world has access to the German deal, but it is here if you want to try.

• Tusque d'Ivoire says:

I’m not bothered about the elder scrolls games or fallout, but i love doom.

however it’s kinda sad that we don’t get the full doom pack but just the standard doom, but the price is definitely worth having it in my steam account !

4. mere_immortal says:

Anyone played Fort Zombie?

Looks interesting but heard some reports of pretty nasty bugs.

• DojiStar says:

mere_immortal, yes even with a current gaming rig and the latest version of Fort Zombie, I have still found it subject to relatively frequent crashes. It’s also almost freaking impossible to aim very well with firearms at zombies, especially when they’re close and hitting you in the face. It’s a great idea for a game, I just found the continued bugginess and interface awkward.

• Stromko says:

Fort Zombie is janky as hell, but is also an interesting take on the zombie genre. Knowing it was going to fall well short of a polished game, I actually enjoyed it. Patches have not been as frequent as I would like, but there was another one a few weeks back. Unless you’re really intrigued by the concept, I wouldn’t try to convince you to buy it.

5. Stompywitch says:

Global Agenda is 25% off at the moment, but if you have a trial account and check your vouchers, you might find you’ve got a $10 off voucher too – which they translate into £10 (Don’t know how it would translate into euros, though), making the game £8.75.

6. LewieP says:

Whoops, just noticed Fort Zombie and RFG are missing links. They’re both GamersGate, links encoming.

7. Malleus says:

I replayed the first Quake not so long ago and it does hold up quite well. In fact, it’s still awesome.

As for the Riddick game, it might have sucky tages drm, but it’s supposedly a lot easier to get new activations if you buy it through a digital retailer (like gamersgate).

8. Donkeydeathtasticelastic says:

I’ve been playing through Evilution on Ultra-Violence.

Christ almighty it’s hard. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that pensive going into an open area to only be greeted by HOLY DICK SHIT FUCKING FUCK SEVENTEEN REVENANTS AND FIVE BARONS AND A CYBERDEMON AND AN ARCH-VILE AND LIKE TEN MANCUBI HOLY CHRIST ALL THEIR MISSILES ARE FOLLOWWWIIIIIIIIIING MEEEEEE

And then coming out alive.

Fuck, I love Doom.

9. pupsikaso says:

So is New Vegas a stand-alone game, then? Why is it fully priced?

• Markachy says:

Its an entirely new game made by Obsidian rather than Bethesda, and I am hideously excited about it

• pupsikaso says:

Huh? How is it an entirely new game? Isn’t it just them taking Fallout 3 and putting their own flavour onto it? I’m sure it would be more like Fallout than Fallout 3 is, but… doesn’t seem to justify a full price.

• Sagan says:

It’s not just Fallout 3 with a new flavour. It’s a new story. A full sequel if you want, except it hasn’t got a 4 in the title.

• perilisk says:

Wasn’t Fallout 2 based on a similar engine and similar art assets as Fallout 1?

• pupsikaso says:

Well, perilisk, you got me there. Almost convinced me to buy, in fact.
      BUT!
      I did not hate Fallout’s engine/gameplay the way I hate Fallout 3′s engine/gameplay.
      Because in Fallout 3 you have two choices. Either you play it as a crappy FPS, or you use VATS for some more tactical gameplay and ENDURE HOURS AND HOURS OF BORING REPETITIVE SLOW-MO GORY NONSENSE. Nonsense because heads don’t snap clean off at the neck when you shoot bullets at them. And having such gore is not necessary for fun. Sometimes, when it is too much, it can be detrimental.

So, even if we could somehow reverse time and give the original Fallout’s team the technology to create the same game /in/ Fallout 3, it would still come out as a pretty bad game.

• dadioflex says:

So what’s your question? Is New Vegas an entirely new game? Or Is it a sequel based on a recent franchise? Or are you a dumb-ass who’s trying to troll the boards?

Pondering…

• Fumarole says:

The game has man-portable catapult-fired nuclear weapons and a rifle that fires rail spikes with accompanying train whistle but you have a problem with bullets severing heads?

• pupsikaso says:

dadioflex, please add to the discussion or take your trolling elsewhere.

Fumarole, I agree the game doesn’t strive for any sort of realism. The first games didn’t either, and that’s why I said that the amount of gore is simply unnecessary. And while the first games had a shocking amount of gore for their time, too, it was just that: shocking. It had impact. Seeing a body torn to shreds chunk by chunk from a minigun, or a hole blasted through someone’s ribs with a shotgun at the time had a very different effect than it does now, where such spectacles are a given in shooty games.

Fallout 3, though, takes the gore and overdoes it to a point where it stops being shocking, goes beyond being sadistically humorous, and lands straight in the zone of bad taste. And you have to see all that in slo-mo, over and over again. While playing, I came to a point where the tactical advantages of VATS did not overcome my aversion to having to sit through yet another dreadful mini cut-scene that entails. Remove VATS and I’m sure you’ll agree that the shooty part of the game isn’t very strong to stand on it’s own feet. And neither is the story, nor the sidequests.

There are some very fun and humorous parts to the game, like the steam nailgun you’ve mentioned, and that flaming skewer knife thing, and some of the quests and locations you discover, but they are too few to raise the whole game above mediocrity.

• Bullwinkle says:

@pupsikaso

You can mod the game so VATS plays in normal time, I believe.

• adam says:

who plays fallout for the action?

I play it for the choices, the story, experience, building a cool character… etc. If all I cared about was clever gunplay and such, there are lots of non-rpgs.

• Thants says:

pupsikaso: While games generally shouldn’t need mods to fix things, it’s a little silly to let the excessive gore ruin the game for you when it can very easily be modded out.

• Dominic White says:

For those of you who want Fallout 3 to be more of an action game AND more of an RPG, get the Fallout: Wanderer’s Edition mod. It’s an all-in-one package that turns the entire game into something more akin to STALKER. It’s also designed to be compatible with all the major popular mods, like the weapon upgrade kits, or Mart’s Mutant Mod, which adds way more enemy types/variants to the world.

• Dominic White says:

Here’s the site. It’s an enormous megamod that changes pretty much every single aspect of the gameplay. It’s good stuff.

• Casimir's Blake says:

There are people that play a Bethesda game for the story? Oh god, stay away, AWAY!

(When modded, there’s some reasonable dungeon crawling to be had in some of their games though. Especially Morrowind and Daggerfall.)

10. LewieP says:

Euro folk: It appears that New Vegas shipped comes to €28.93. At least that is what it says on my screen, confirm/deny?

11. benjamin says:

You can get Sins of a Solar Empire GOTY edition on Amazon for just £5.99

12. mcwizardry says:

Does anyone know if the Humble Indie Bundle edition of Gish will be updated to version 1.6?

13. kyynis says:

@LewieP

Confirmed, but it’s apparently better to use pounds when ordering, as the discount code takes off two euros (~1.6£ instead of 2£) when using € as currency. Then there is the shipping cost, of course.

14. HarbourMaster says:

I think Leave Home is cleverer than just the number of enemies – the attack styles and procedurally-generated levels also seem to be affected by how well/shit you’re doing. I reviewed it if anyone wants to know more.

15. LewieP says:

Oh, also the Machinarium $5 sale from last week got extended.

16. Sam says:

Anyone thinking of buying Booster Trooper, don’t, and download Soldat (http://soldat.thd.vg/en/) instead.

17. Jonathan says:

It’s a shame Steam doesn’t have Quake 4. I’ve never gotten around to playing it.

18. Tyra Banks says:

Gamersgate also have batman arkham asylum for £12.97.

I think that is a good price?

19. Sam says:

I’m going to use the code you suggested for Fallout, for Mafia 2. £23 is the cheapest I’ve seen it.

20. Dominic White says:

On the subject of Doom, and anyone who has bought them (or is buying them now), I did a writeup on the forums about how fantastic it is to this day, and linked to Best Of lists for the past 16 years (16 years!!!) of levels and mods.

Also, one of the biggest, most eagerly awaited Doom mods in years, Stronghold, is due out in about six hours from now. A hybrid of classic doom, arcade-style wave survival, tower defense and persistent campaigning and resource management.

21. pupsikaso says:

When are we going to get Metro 2033 in the bucket? =(

22. ZamFear says:

I’d get Painkiller Black, rather than Pandemonium. Sure, Pandemonium contains all the Painkiller games, but it was only the first one (and its expansion) that were any good. Resurrection in particular, was a horrific trainwreck of a “game.”
    If you really want Overdose, it’s actually cheaper to buy Black and Overdose separately than to buy the Universe pack (which contains both Black and Overdose).

23. Dominic White says:

Okay, even if you didn’t get it at the sale price, here is a honking great reason to get it even at $10.

http://stronghold.drdteam.org/ – Stronghold: On The Edge of Chaos. Years in the making, delayed for over half a year, and generally a big project. Doom modding never dies.

It was literally released about half an hour ago.

24. Urthman says:

Burn Zombie Burn! looks tempting and is $9 (marked down from $10) on Steam.

25. malkav11 says:

If for some reason you want Painkiller: Resurrection (and you shouldn’t), it’s cheaper to buy Pandemonium with all four Painkiller releases than it is to buy Resurrection by itself. It’s also cheaper than the Black + Overdose pack while including more. They have achieved this miracle of wonky pricing by discounting said pack by 75% and all the other Painkiller bundles and single releases by 50%. Black alone (Painkiller + Battle out of Hell) is still cheaper and contains the only good ones. This is because they are the only ones made by the people who actually made Painkiller as opposed to being cheap knockoffs.

26. MrSafin says:

It’s not true that Quake graphics don’t hold up. Try the Darkplaces engine, and then we’ll talk again :)

Quake 1 is by far my favourite shooter of all time.

• malkav11 says:

It’s not that they don’t hold up. It’s that Quake -never- looked good. Combine the super-pointy look of really low poly early 3D tech with the world’s most boring color palette and a 11-year-old’s idea of cool in the visual design. Blech.

• Jason Moyer says:

I think Quake 1 and the Quake 1 Engined games have held up a lot better than Quake 2 and that era of games have.

• MadTinkerer says:

Complaining that Quake graphics don’t hold up to modern standards is like complaining that Maniac Mansion doesn’t hold up to Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. IT WAS THE VERY FIRST REALTIME TRUE 3D SHOOTER*. It also invented the Dull Brown Style FPS, but actually did it in style with a huge variety of levels within the limited palette.

Don’t forget: Half Life ran on the exact same graphics technology as Quake 1 just a few years later.

*And if you want to argue that Captain McObscure in the Nobodyboughtthisgame Zone came out three weeks before or something like that, you can be quiet.

• Spacewalk says:

It’s really a love it or hate it thing. I quite like it (though if you are in areas that are in fullbright it looks horrible) and if you compare it to things that have come before it’s very dark and earthy but it’s supposed to be dark and earthy, it’s Cthulhu.

• Urthman says:

Even when Quake was first released, lots of people said the graphics were brown, muddy, indistinct crap compared with Duke Nukem 3D (the comparison the entire internet was endlessly arguing about at the time), but the gameplay was so fun and revolutionary that people didn’t care how it looked.

(Then Carmack stunned everyone with GLQuake, which transformed the graphics into brown, muddy crap with VERY DISTINCT EDGES, WOW!)

27. JohnS says:

Even if one can live with the interface, bugs and difficulty, it’s sadly a pretty boring game. I can’t honestly recommend it, no matter how big a zombie fan you are.

28. MadTinkerer says:

Dear rest of RPS,

Puzzlebots is not a Lucasarts (or Telltale) game. It is also not on Steam. However, for an adventure game that isn’t a Lucasarts game and not on Steam it’s VERY VERY GOOD.

Puzzle Bots Features:

Limited Inventory: Each puzzle contains a closed room or set of rooms so that every item you need to solve the puzzle is right there.This does not make the puzzles too easy, but rather simply prevents the hair-pulling situation of needing a screwdriver from back in Madagaskar when you’re in Salisbury.

Limited Verbs: Each bot does one thing, so there’s no misunderstanding what you want them to do. This prevents the frustration of trying to UNSCREW the SCREWS with the SCREWDRIVER when the game wants you to tell it to REMOVE HINGES WITH TOOL. (also, for items that do have multiple kinds of interaction, you can only do one thing at a time per robot so it’s just a matter of realizing you need to get the pusher robot to push the candle over a bit before you light it with the fire-robot, etc.)

Charming characters: Rather than try too hard to be like the really talented comedy adventure writers (and failing like so many mediocre adventure games), they wisely play to their own strengths so that the characters are witty and charming without everyone trying to be a wiseass.

Decent animation for a low budget: Some of the bigger characters seem a little clumsily animated at first, but when you realize that they actually have more animated frames than many of the older Lucasarts games and the real problem is that they’re just much bigger characters in much higher resolution, you get used to it.

Decent voice acting: There’s no Oscar nominations here, but also nothing painful, which is better than a lot of AAA studios manage.

In short, Puzzle Bots is a decent adventure game for a decent price. I thought it was worth the previous price and now it’s cheaper. Go buy it.

29. Vodkarn says:

On the subject of Doom 3 – I think the reason most people find it not scary is the formula is really transparent, really quickly. In fact, (and I never even made it to the hell levels) it goes like this: Walk into room, do a 180, walk 3 feet, shoot the guy who spawned behind you, walk forward, shoot the zombies in the room. Walk into the next room, do a 180, kill the imp behind you, walk forward, shoot the zombies..

And so on.

30. Willy359 says:

Oh look. A shadow. I wonder if there could by chance be a monster hiding there. Oh. There was. How horrifying.

31. Jimbo says:

Faces of War is £1 on Gamersgate.

32. sudogamer says:

This is what we thought about Booster Trooper (for anyone interested), essentially – it has some promise as a pick-up-and-play fun shooter but totally lacked the players to make it worth your while. . that was back in May however – things may have improved off the back off this sale?

33. Surgeon says:

Cheers for the heads up Lewie.
    I’ve been contemplating Red Faction : Guerrilla for a while, and that price is just too tempting.
    Previous best I’d seen was £7 odd on Doovd from Amazon.
    Went out to a house warming party, and it had downloaded by the time I got back.
    Sweet :)

By the way, when they were young, did anyone else think that the phrase ‘attacked by Guerrilla’s’ meant that people were literally assaulted by massive Gorilla’s armed to the teeth with automatic weaponry?

Comment on this story