We’re Also Getting Tropico 4

By Jim Rossignol on August 14th, 2010 at 9:47 am.

Kalypso and Haemimont Games aren’t abandoning their dreams of benevolent dictatorship simulation any time soon. We’re going to be basking in the warm light of a fourth island-managing build and diplomacy game in Q2 2011. It looks like this will be an expanded take on Tropico 3, with new buildings and political features, some new online rankings and Facebook/Twitter feature stuff, as well as revamped disaster and trade systems in the game itself. I discussed my casual fondness for Tropico 3 just here.

, , .

1. Mr Chug says:

My buying this will depend entirely on whether they give the avatar more lines. If I hear “It’s all work and no play for Presidente!” ever again I’m actually going to snap and go form an island dictatorship somewhere.

2. Wilson says:

@Mr Chug – Heh, yeah, I can sympathize with that.

I’ve enjoyed the Tropico games since I got the first two in a deal bundle. So I’m looking forward to any new ones.

3. Gabriel Knewell says:

Dwarf Fortress has ruined me for management games.

Excluding turn-based ones.

• Coillscath says:

Some day we’ll have a 3d Dwarf Fortress, and on that day, the universe will implode.

4. Archonsod says:

Viva El Presidente!

5. sfury says:

Too soon?

• Grape Flavor says:

That’s what I was thinking. This is a very short interval in which to rehash the same game concept. Less than a year. It’s as if Civilization VI was announced next July. Seems weird.

• Rii says:

To my untrained eye it appeared that Tropico 3 was a near-carbon copy of Tropico 1 with a fancy graphics engine. This time around – perhaps having seen that there’s a market for the game – it seems they actually intend to update the game as well as the graphics. We’ll see how they fare.

6. Nyst says:

I hope this version well let me choose where my farms will plant their crops.
    Really.

• terry says:

Also place buildings without the (huge) gaps between them. Also allow sane road placement and placement of buildings on land that isn’t level to a microscopic degree.

• MWoody says:

I actually like that farms handle that stuff automatically. I have a tendency to obsess over ever little detail in builder games, down to counting the number of squares in every room in Dwarf Fortress or quitting and restarting if I accidentally mine out an extra, unnecessary square while making traps in Evil Genius. Tropico, however, somehow manages to strike this weird vein of heretofore unknown “casual”-ness in my being – I don’t mind if things look a little slipshod or dirty.

I’d go so far as to describe that as its greatest feature: the towns you build feel organic and alive rather than pixel-perfect creations of their creator’s inner OCD.

7. Severian says:

I love Tropico (well, except for T2), and my top 3 requests for a new iteration are:

1. Make the economic management more challenging. In T3, it is far too easy to be flush with cash after your first bumper crop comes in. However, if you deprive a player of funds for too long, the early game is very boring and frustrating. You’re just waiting for money to come in. So…

2. Give a player other play options besides spending money. What can I do when I don’t have any money? How can I improve my island?

3. Force a player to make difficult decisions in what buildings they will place and what “direction” their island will take. Happy people? Economic engine w/ high pollution? Military dictatorship? etc. You shouldn’t be able to have it all, and you can now. This is largely a result of #1 (it’s too easy to get all the cash you need to build anything).

8. Burningpet says:

Yes, a very good game for the entire 3 hours it manages to keep you interested.

• MWoody says:

Play the campaign. I usually avoid such things due to their stink of linearity – opting instead for a skirmish or random map mode if the game has it – but here, it works. Each mission is essentially a blank island with a specific goal and unique random events (often with choices for you to make). Even if, like me, you usually ignore such things, in Tropico 3 they’re where the real fun is hiding.

I’m especially annoyed by the people who claim the game is “too easy.” You’re playing in SANDBOX MODE and complaining about difficulty? Finish the last few levels of the campaign and say that!

• Kanamit says:

@MWoody I don’t think it’s too much to ask that the sandbox mode be as difficult (on higher settings, of course) as the game’s predecessor. And I didn’t find the campaign particularly difficult either; just time-consuming.

• Fumarole says:

Speak for yourself.

9. Mavvvy says:

Its funny how they market one of their free marketing tools as a feature in games nowadays. Ie linking to Twitter/facebook.

I’m not saying i’m completely against it, just sits kinda funny with me. Why is this more acceptable then what EA was trying to do with ingame billboards in 2142?

Its okay if its on a real life item, but not okay within the world of the game. I dont think im making my point well but its in there somewhere.

• Vinraith says:

The fundamental question is “is it optional?” In game advertising usually isn’t, in game account linking usually is. If I don’t have to do it, then I don’t care about it.

10. Pijama says:

More resources, more variety of everything, bigger islands…

MOAR STUFF. Otherwise, a game that stays interesting for only five hours is… eh…

11. Vinraith says:

I adored Tropico 3, played it for dozens of hours (as has my wife, who likes it even more than me). It was a beautiful refinement of the original Tropico, adding some much-needed features (especially the road/garage system which let you actually get something built before the second coming). I’m a bit disappointed they went straight to a sequel this quickly, rather than making a second expansion, especially because the new feature list here seems a bit light. I guess I’ll wait and see how this plays out, but in the long run I can’t imagine not picking up another Kalypso Tropico game simply because of how good the current one is.

12. Kanamit says:

Agreed. Honestly I would probably buy 4 if it were just Tropico 3 tweaked to be as difficult as Tropico 1.

13. Torgen says:

LOVE Tropico and Tropico 3 (no interest at all in pirate island one) and this news makes me happy.

14. Gritz says:

Tropico 4, Patrician IV, that Dungeon Keeper game… Kalypso is staying busy.

15. adam says:

This kinda pisses me off. I just bought 3, which came out not that long ago. What’s with all these companies making games to throw away and upgrade all the time now? Support what you have, damnit!

16. DickMyTater says:

I’m a dictator. Let me shoot more people. Currently if I don’t suck there isn’t a single armed confrontation in the whole game.

Give me enemy islands to conquer.

Give me rebel camps to burn down.
    Give me an opposing faction that is actually a faction and present if I ever give in to elections. Give me ways of interacting with them(slander, tv/newspaper matches, again shooting them, smearing them, exiling their prime candidate etc)

Make secret police true secret police. Let me wiretap, falsify documents, subvert diplomats, etc.
    Let ME kidnap rich tourists for ransom, while double-playing the public as trying to save them and collecting both the cash and then sacrificing some petty criminals that were set up for the move by my secret police.

Let me farm and harvest and export DRUGS.

Let my population have a drug society problem, complete with drug dens, prostitution, crime and poverty.

Bring in prostitution, options for child labour and conflict with the UN charta and an option to be able to fight off the ensuing actual threat from UN / US troops, perhaps with cold war era aid from russia.

Goshdarnit, someone give me a creative designer post somewhere.

Just seeing the hint of a waterslide lets me know things are going in the very opposite direction as they should.

Life has so much depth. It doesn’t take a genius to bring that kind of fun into a game.