Strong Like Ox: Stronghold 3

By Jim Rossignol on August 16th, 2010 at 8:46 am.

Financial squabbles between Southpeak Interactive and CDV had made some people wonder what would happen to the games being produced by the corporate couple, and somehow we missed the confirmation last week that Stronghold 3 is unaffected, and will still hit its 2011 release slot. Eurogamer have the news, and some affirmation by Southpeak’s CEO that they have confidence in the title. And they should have confidence, because it’s one of Germany’s biggest selling strategy titles and as such is likely to sell half a squajillion copies. No major details on the game yet, but a smattering of screens show a new 3D engine, which should make for spangly castle-construction when the game arrives next year.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Batolemaeus says:

Mmmhm-hm.

I’ve spent quite some time on the 2d titles of the series. Color me interested.

2. Armyofnone says:

My god I loved the first, as well as the crusader expansion (damned good expansion pack, that was). The second left me a bit dissapointed, though. Awesome to hear that they’re making a new one. Even if it doesn’t look as shiny as most other RTS games, I’ll still buy it for sure.

3. Choca says:

My castle is bigger than your castle.

4. stone says:

5 minutes ago I was browsing the offers at GamersGate, and realised I’d just missed this weekends sale on Red Faction: Guerrilla. But then I saw the Stronghold collection priced at €7,48. Immediately I sent off a reminder to myself from work to get hold of this when I get home. And now this news about Stronghold 3. Fate? Methinkso!

5. Burningpet says:

I wonder if it is cheaper for them to code the 3d engine rather than licensing an existing advanced one.

6. robrob says:

I am thinking of buying these games because they will run on my laptop and are cheap on GamersGate. I like Total War and Civ but am not very fond of the frantic pace of most RTS games. Can anyone recommend these games?

• Choca says:

The first one was good (but looked ugly even back then so be prepared to bleed out of your eyes), the second one wasn’t so great.

• Batolemaeus says:

Esprecially crusaders hasn’t aged that much imo. It’s rather slow at times and especially big battles play out much more strategically than tactically.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The original and Crusader are definitely worth it, 2 is still okay. Crusader Extreme is just a re-release with minor tweaks that adds a few imbalaced special abilities that make multiplayer really painful to play.

I wouldn’t touch Legends at all.

7. Reiver says:

As long as they throw in collision detection with that new engine this should be good. I always felt that a lot of the strategy of funneling and choke points were nulllified when you could have 100 spearmen occupying the same spot. fighting like some cross between Shiva and Neo from the matrix.

8. Chris D says:

I did enjoy Stronghold:Crusader but my castles always ended up looking like movie sets. They were impregnable fortresses from the front but if you were to nip round the side there was only a tiny little wall. Unfortunately that seemed to be quite effective. I’m sure they’ve changed that now, err…. probably.

9. GreatUncleBaal says:

As if by magic – Stronghold Collection is on sale at Gamersgate as of today, £4.97.

10. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

This will be so bad.

And not in a good way.

11. Magnus says:

One thing you need to remember with the current screenshots is that they’re pre-alpha, so the textures on the models right now, and most likely the models themselves are temporary and will be improved upon drastically. Also its the Settlers 7 engine, if anyones interested.

12. Fumarole says:

Here’s hoping this is as fun as the first and nothing remotely like Legends.

13. Dreamhacker says:

I miss the Stronghold 1 2D graphics. Not to mention the GUI complete with hooded advisor mimicking the emotions of the peasants in the stronghold…

14. mafia1469 says: