In League: Patrician IV and Patrician Online

By Jim Rossignol on August 17th, 2010 at 2:27 pm.

The Medieval trading business is going to be well catered for in the coming months, as Patrician IV (see trailer below) is out next month, and Kalypso have – in partnership with Gamigo – also just announced Patrician Online. They explain: “The browser-based game, which is planned for 2011, will be based on the well-known trading simulation series The Patrician. Thousands of players can experience the glory days of the Hanseatic League and build up their own trading empire. The focus of the game will be on trading goods between players and creating effective production chains.”

My production chain is particularly effective. That’s what I tell the ladies, anyway.

, , , .

1. luckysori says:

“Trade 20 goods between over 30 cities!”

Those are not very impressive figures to be honest, but I remember having really good times with Patrician III, even though I recently came back to it and found that it doesn’t grab me as much as it used to. I’m not really convinced by what I’ve seen of Patrician IV since it was announced either; it seems to be really similar to the third installment, besides a new engine. I’d love this game to be good, but I am not sure…

2. Kingmarzo says:

Can’t believe there wont be any multiplayer for Patrician IV. Shame…

• Hmm says:

That’s what Patrician Online is for. SimCity, Patrician, Anno, Settlers and so on I NEVER even bothered to check if they have mp.

3. kjr says:

It seems like patrician 3 with a UI overhaul….

What new features are there?

4. Andrew Dunn says:

Kalypso did an excellent job with Tropico 3, so even though I never played the Patrician games in the past I’ll keep an eye on this one to see the reaction.

• battles_atlas says:

I loved the original Tropico but the new one just hasn’t grabbed me. The problem is the UI – all the detailed feedback is just a necessary as it was in the original, but seems to have been stripped out now. An attempt at simplification thats just made the game far more complicated.

• Oak says:

I don’t get that at all. 3 seems to me a lot more “readable” than its predecessor.

• RedFred says:

Tropico 3 also looked lovely. This, however, does not. Strange.

• Ozzie says:

Well, it’s not Monte Christo developing this, but anyway, this time around some developers of the previous games are also on board. Whee!!! Former Ascaron employees basically formed under this new studio.

5. Joji says:

I want to see the world map!!!
    Lame on the whole no multiplayer though…

6. Gritz says:

Civ 5, Victoria 2, Patrician IV, Elemental… it’s a good time for well-made hypernerdy PC games.

7. Burningpet says:

Sorry for my ignorance, but, is this game in the same style as of the Anno series?

• Chris D says:

It’s similar but with less emphasis on building and more on trading. In Anno you’re primarily building a city, which can do some trading. In Patrician you’re primarily building a trade empire which can also build stuff.

8. Ozzie says:

The graphics are unsurprisingly mediocre, but anyway, the gameplay matters!
    Lots of people will miss the multiplayer, but I guess the developers have to operate within a limited budget, so I prefer a strong singleplayer mode.
    I absolutely loved Patrician 2+3. Those are surprisingly addictive games and quite easy to get into, even if you need patience to get far. Really, for simulation games the interface couldn’t be more accessible. I have high hopes for this one then!

9. Snall says:

Why cant game makers ADD things to games instead of just graphics ffs? Blah.

10. Dylan McCall says:

I don’t understand why game developers continue to specify the exact number of places / items / levels / whatevers you will encounter, as if it’s a relevant metric. It really ruins a big part of a game, to me. As soon as I know how many places there are, I’m going to be thinking about how much there is left to discover. These numbers don’t help the experience, either. Fun Is Not A Number Game.

They should just add a progress bar. “Estimated three hours until the game is spent.”