Lost Planet 2 Benchmark & Lady Pirates

By Kieron Gillen on August 17th, 2010 at 12:55 pm.

Not a lady pirate.

As well as announcing that Lost Planet 2 PC will be hitting on October 15th, news reaches us that Capcom have released a tech-demo for the game. You can download the 1-Gig thing from here, which includes a DirectX 11 Benchmark (and a non-DX11 one) plus a “gameplay test”. Wait… “gameplay test”. That means it’s just a demo, surely? Well, no. It means there’s a benchmark of a cutscene and a benchmark of some in-game action stuff. Anyway – go gets if you wants. Head over to VG247 to see some grabs or… well, I was looking around for a video to link to the masses of console ones, and hit one called “Lady Pirates”. That sounds interesting. Pirates, who are ladies. So, with no further ado, here’s some lady pirates…

Lady Pirates.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. mrmud says:

Shame the game is supposed to be terrible

• Hmm says:

Actually, I’m hearing it’s a love it or hate it kind of game. Sort of like L4D – designed with co-op in mind.

• Dominic White says:

The game is great. It’s also the complete polar opposite of Modern Warfare 2. It’s tactical, slow, combat is decided on the 4th or 5th move, rather than the first, it has huuuuge reams of special attacks, interesting weapon gimmicks and features on vehicles and plenty more.

Tycho and Gabe over at Penny Arcade both were gushing about how great LP2 was for about a week. It’s not a standard shooter, but it’s a damn good one.

• DrGonzo says:

Played quite a bit of the 360 and yes it was rather pants.

2. Colthor says:

Just as well it’s not set on an ice planet like the last one.

3. Mac says:

After that vid, they should re-name this game “Lost the Will to Live”

4. kyynis says:

Hardcore 1girl1APILAS-action, ah yeah. I think I found a new fetish for myself.

• stahlwerk says:

And sometimes a rocket launcher is just a rocket launcher.

5. Mike McQuaid says:

Good to see they are all tiny with huge breasts and showing as much skin as possible whilst looking somewhat soldiery. I may be 25 and married but I like my female characters in games to look like they are in photo-shoot for The Sun. Can’t possibly have games where women look vaguely normal, can we?

• perilisk says:

But then they’d be competing with real life.

• ScubaMonster says:

Well, to be fair, males aren’t portrayed realistically either a lot of times. How many guys do you run into in real life having ripped muscles like the Incredible Hulk?

• lolfang says:

Not that Hulk is realistic.

6. Skusey says:

Pirates should not be naked. Nor should they use rocket launchers.

7. stahlwerk says:

“Suggestive Themes”
    “Language”
    “Animated Blood”
    “Inconvenient Wardrobe”

• Meat Circus says:

“Make make any person that has completed puberty retch”

• Urael says:

Speak for yourself, Meat… :P

• Urael says:

Actually, I jest. Those publishers should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Why do they think boys want to be staring up a woman’s arse while gunning down bad guys??

• DJ Phantoon says:

Sex and violence should never be combined, unless you’re Clive Owen. But even then that’s violence, then sex.

Yeah violence and sex should never be at the same time.

8. Qnton says:

Actually, the game is really entertaining, with lots of those “co-op!” moments…
    But NEVER play it alone, it’s just awful.
    Plus, the checkpoint/reload system übersucks. Hopefully they’ll fix that for the PC version (herm..)

9. Bob's Lawn Service says:

Well, they weren’t lying. They most certainly were pirates that also happened to be ladies.

(As a further aside – these Captchas are broken. I can swear I’m typing them in correctly but they keep rejecting them forcing me to retype everything.)

Just pushed the audio button and the Capcha says it is KFM5 while the picture is clearly D8M3

10. Jonathan says:

I like benchmarky demos — 90% of the time I already know if I’m interested in the game or not and care more about “will it run on my system” than “wot’s this like?”

• Jonathan says:

Of course, I’ve now seen enough barely-clothed boob and arse that and shred of interest I had in the game has evaporated. Grow up, gamers!

• Dominic White says:

Those models aren’t even in the campaign at all, and barely anyone uses them online. Plus, you can dress up however you like, ain’t that great!

It’s a really stupid video, and you should ignore it because it has approximately zero bearing on the game.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I’m with Cliffe on dis one.

Sell us the game. Why should I care when Lost Planet one was a steaming pile?

11. Dave says:

Surely any game which emphasises “lady pirates” in its trailer is a game with seriously messed up priorities. Unless of course those priorities are to seem shallow and adolescent…in which case, I suppose I applaud them….I think.

12. Bowlby says:

This games has some massive issues and I won’t be buying it, on any platform, but I really love the way Capcom have a habit for putting out benchmark demos for their games. I think it’s a fantastic, and I wish more companies did it.

• Soundofvictory says:

Yes, I suppose it is nice knowing how well a given game will run on your machine… That being said I would much rather have a playable demo with a benchmark mode included. Watching the in-game benchmark for this left me tearing at my eyes because of how stupid the player-AI was.

• Bowlby says:

Oh, absolutely, I agree.

13. Meat Circus says:

Oh, thank fuck. For a second, I thought there would be a realistic portrayal of women, and this trailer would not make all gamers seem like juvenile misogynists.

Crisis averted,

14. Dominic White says:

As someone who has played the game, I don’t even know why that video exists. Those models aren’t even used in the campaign – they’re unlockable extras that you can dress up however you please.

So here’s a relevant video:

15. mogsor says:

More gameplay videos need to recruit incredibly British guys to do their talking for them. The world really needs more people saying “oh my days” and “this is sick!”

That said, it’s a shame they felt the need to advertise the in-game ladies via “LOL THEY’RE SEMI-NAKED LOL!” while in-game they’re apparently quite sensible. I mean, I do love me some LOL SEMI-NAKED LADIES, but there’s a time and a place, dammit.

16. Bhazor says:

A gig? For a benchmark? Jesus fuck balls.

• Dominic White says:

It actually covers several missions, so it has a large chunk of the game data in there.

• Bhazor says:

Well why not make it playable then?

17. Al3xand3r says:

Lol @ people whining for unrealistic females, because the males are totally realistic in most games! And yeah, I didn’t even notice any women in the benchmark. If someone wants to choose a semi naked chick to play as in the multiplayer, what’s it to you? It doesn’t make the game any more or less realistic. It’s about killing giant aliens on another planet using massive weapons…

The actual game, it’s a great one, with some bad design choices that don’t affect it enough to make it a bad game. It’s just too much of an investment for your average reviewer, hence the low scores. Kinda like Monster Hunter. Though they rate Monster Hunter well nowadays, after the word got out that they’re good games they can’t handle playing, so now they claim they can, and love them, when they really don’t (made obvious when they still ask for silly features like lock-on cameras and what not, which are fundamentally anti-MH). Maybe the next Lost Planet will score better too.

As for the PC version, I hope the benchmark isn’t indicative of its quality. The gameplay based one run mostly smoothly but with dips to 30 fps in certain areas, which makes me think other areas would bring it down more, while the other benchmark run like shit, mostly 30 fps, and dropped to 10 for a few seconds near the end when the beast jumped back in the water. It also doesn’t run in DX10 mode, only 9 and 11 so the above performance was with 9. Changing shadows, AA, and rendering level from “none” to the maximum available (except AA, I didn’t try more than 4x) yielded absolutely no difference in performance on either benchmark. I’m not even sure what “rendering level” did.

It makes you wonder how they managed to butcher such a lovely engine, the DMC4 and RE5 ports are some of the best looking games around (mostly thanks to the art, but still) and run in silky smooth 60 fps (vsync on) with no hicups on my modest rig. I don’t think LP2 looks any better. Some screenshots and screens can be impressive but overall it doesn’t even look much better than LP1 in person. With that said, LP1 had a few performance issues too, perhaps the series is on a different branch of the MT Framework engine which happens to be lesser but they couldn’t switch over to the RE5 one without redoing a lot of the game or something. Oh well. I’ll still try it when it gets cheap.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah I posted on another comment saying the same thing. I don’t see too many guys running around with muscles like a comic book character. Also, people complain about unrealistic females in games, but like hot women in just about everything else. You don’t buy a Playboy for plain Janes do you?

18. Sam says:

Has anyone run the benchmark test A? I don’t understand what’s playing it, surely even an AI can’t be THAT bad…

• Dominic White says:

I’m fairly sure that you’re seeing the singleplayer ‘ally’ AI at work there. They’re about as smart as a brick, but they also don’t cost you any points if they die, they immediately respawn if they go down, and generally exist solely to draw fire from you.

It’s not like L4D were if you’re playing solo, the bots replace the other players. If you’re going solo in Lost Planet 2, you get bumped up to ‘hero’ toughness, and the buddy characters are there to ensure that not every enemy is gunning for you.

19. Soundofvictory says:

I love how the music for Test B seems pretty Godzilla-inspired.

On the PS3, I played through this game co-op, and I am thinking about picking this up on PC when it comes out (I only rented it). There are a lot of people who did not like it much, but I thought it was fantastic and a much needed injection of variety into the boring genre of modern shooters. It has got everything: giant monsters, giant drivable robots, insane weapons, huge scope, ridiculous Japanese game plot, and shiny graphics. Oh, and fun.

20. QWERTY says:

i love this game on 360 but idk about anyone with a pc getting it… knowing capcom they will do something like they did with the first lost planets, make a second version like lost planet colonies with much more content for cheaper. -.-

21. Navagon says:

I really have no idea why they’re even making this game. It seems that Capcom are stuck on the idea of making sequels even when there’s absolutely no logical reason to do so. Did Lost Planet even sell well? It seemed like a total non-event.

• Dominic White says:

Lost Planet was a huge hit in Japan (you know, that country where Capcom are based?), and was effectively the local alternative to Halo on the 360. They even did a multiplayer-centric re-release further down the line. Of course a sequel was going to happen.

22. zag says:

Oh Jesus. That was just so terrible. I want to stay away from this game now.
    Why does Capcom keep doing this bullshit? Why not just give ACTUAL demo.

23. Wedge says:

I love the original game a great deal… argh, just dunno if I can stand this being so co-opy.

24. anon says:

FFS! Put some pants on that skinny little girl!

25. EthZee says:

I own this game for PS3, and I can say that it is a marmite game. Playing through the main campaign with other real people is a necessity; the bots mean well, but bless them, they’re rather thick. And the game can be hard as nails at some points if you don’t have some brains behind the guns.

That said, the online multiplayer is rather fun. Fun! And there’s a lot of customisation. A lot. If you are the kind of person who spends more time customising their characters than playing games, then you’ll like this. And it has stompy robots. Lots of stompy robots.

That lady pirates thing is rather stupid, to be honest. As people have said, they play no part in the single-player at all; they’re a bonus faction in multiplayer, and not many people play them (as they’re not in the main game, you won’t gain experience for them whilst you play through the single player, meaning less unlocks).

Don’t let the stupid video put you off; try the game first. It is rather neat.

• EthZee says:

Oh! Oh! And, in the third episode, your team get to control a gigantic railway cannon (loading, aiming, firing), to shoot with at a flea the size of an ocean liner. And it’s awesome.

26. lolfang says:

I have hopes for this game. Hope it come out right on PC. Me wants more co-oppy stuff =P