Yet More Spaceflight: SWTOR Space Combat

By Jim Rossignol on August 17th, 2010 at 6:57 pm.

Blimey, I had almost forgotten to mention that Star Wars: The Old Republic definitely has spaceflight in, but a fortuitous poke in the ribs from Kieron reminded me. Better still, it turns out there’s a trailer (embedded below, auto-playing for some reason) to illustrate this fact. The brief montage of space whirliness shows some of the shoot ‘em sequences in action, each with familiar and favoured visual themes of asteroids, close-to-capitol-ships, and upper-atmosphere conflict. And yes, shoot ‘em up. No comprehensive recreation of X-Wing for you, sir, this is more of a linear arcade blast. And, hell, it barely matters what it looks or plays like, because it’s got the noises. More on this soon.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

Fat guy with wings!

KG

2. Alex Bakke says:

I agree, the noises made the trailer. The music too, of course.

Star Wars Disco:

3. Jimbo says:

*holds head in hands*

• Zogtee says:

I don’t want Bio to make MMO’s, I don’t want Bio to make MMO’s, I don’t want…

/cries like a girl

• Adventurous Putty says:

It hurts that every time I look at this, I think it’s an awesome new single player RPG.

I mean, that doesn’t even LOOK like an MMO, or even a multiplayer-capable bit of the game. Is there such a thing as a multiplayer on-rails shooter that’s GOOD? Why not just MAKE GODDAMN KOTOR III? WHY BIOWARE WHY?

4. Freud says:

Looks fun. Not, fall-off-the-wagon in regards to MMOs fun but still fun.

5. Hunam says:

Jesus christ, why doesn’t the rest of the game graphically look as good as the space combat bit?

6. MonkeyMonster says:

wud wud wud-wud-wud :D

YAY

7. Sarkhan Lol says:

The turret sequence from KotOR, but with DIALOG?? Where’s my credit card?

8. Tuor says:

Need… X-Wing… Must have… X-Wing remake. Help us, LucasArts, you’re our only hope.

9. mandrill says:

This. Is. Awesome.

that is all. EVE better watch its back.

10. Alchenar says:

Getting flashbacks to Rebel Assault.

11. talon03 says:

Alas, my dreams of TOR being a cover for TIE Fighter 2 appear to have been smashed. For Shame, Bioware, for shame.

12. WiPa says:

That gave me goosebumps.

13. Sweedums says:

how cool would that be for an end-game raid…. begins with your 40 man group in starships, fighting through a space battle reminiscant of the opening scene from episode 3, then at the end you all land in the landing bay of a capital ship and then it turns into more of a conventional “dungeon” sequence.

• Azhrarn says:

I would imagine it not being a case of “if” but more of “how often”. The image is to cool to pass up so Bioware will probably have thought of it already.

14. Scoteh says:

What I like about this trailer, is that they manage to make it look like it’s not on rails. It’s on rails. Don’t get me wrong I’m still looking forward to SW:TOR and will definately enjoy it. But don’t be fooled, they’ve come out and categorically said that it’s not a space mmo.

Still very pretty though

15. Tei says:

Anyone know where I can buy a WoW Clone with “On-Rails” space combat? I would love to buy one!.

(for these with broken sarcasm detectors:

your is broken)

• geldonyetich says:

We’ve already known it was going to be a simple rail shooter minigame – they announced that awhile back. Further, this wouldn’t be the first Knights Of The Old Republic game to have a rail shooter sequence. So, hey, no skin off my nose unless I was expecting it to be a X-Wing versus Tie Fighter. it doesn’t look half bad at all once you set the bar right.

I think it might be a bit of an exaggeration to say Old Republic is a WoW clone though. I’ve seen game footage. It’s really more like KOTOR than WoW.

16. jimmycrocketsunderpants says:

I think this is horrible… Roque Squadron on gamecube from 2001 looks better than this. What a stupid joke.

on rails? what annoys me even more is all the star wars fanboys who praise it. it almost makes me wish that this game fails and dies in a fire of flames, just because of their stupid attitude. “its freaking star wars dude”.

I’m getting sick of these fans. they are getting more and more pathethic…

17. Jimbo says:

It looks better than the rest of the game because it’s an on-rails shooting gallery.

It’s neat to look at, but is there anything MMO-y about this sequence at all? Or even MO-y?

18. neolith says:

I am under the impression that spacefights are railshooters after watching this. While those would be a nice addition to an MMOG I’d rather see less Rebel Assault and more TIE Fighter. Oh, and also less crayon colors. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but somehow the only things in that trailer that I really liked was the sounds and music… :(

19. ulix says:

Been waiting for Nintendo to make a new Star Fox that doesn’t suck since the N64, so I’m very happy with the looks of this.

Tube shooters are awesome.

20. Koozer says:

I really shouldn’t have had that glimmer of hope that it might be half as good as Galaxies space flight. Maybe I should re-evaluate my secondary glimmer on the main game being less than half identical WoW.

21. Mavvvy says:

On the rails, hardly multiplayer right? Bit of a dissapointment but then again it was never going to be the meat of the game.

I think this two year old illustrates my point rather well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US75H_1faLQ

22. Quests says:

Yipes, it really is like Rebel Assault.

There’s nothing even remotely interesting, for me, in this game.

Unless there’s real consequences to a player’s decisions.

23. DarkNoghri says:

The perspective you play from actually reminds me of Freelancer.

24. bogie says:

This is on rails. A crying shame as the graphics and effects look really good.

If they could take this and put it into free roam with manual docking at stations, landing on planets, walking in the interior of your spaceship so you can press a button to open/close the entrance/exit ramp and the same use button to jump in and out of your flight seat.

This is what everyone is crying out for yet nobody seems to want to tackle it.

Bring on a new X-Wing game. How long must we wait?

25. Bascule42 says:

Great Bioware…dont get cockey.

26. Serenegoose says:

I just need to get this out of my system. Forgive me.

Use the boost to get through!

Do a barrel roll!

It’s quiet… too quiet.

27. benjamin says:

What’s everyone complaining about? It looks to be a fun, decent space shooty thing which is great. Bioware are making an MMO not a Tie-fighter remake. And on the plus side at some point an expansion pack is bound to improve it!

PEW PEW!

28. ceson says:

Well, that looked dull. Cockpit view or gtfo.

29. Kronyx says:

Oh god those sounds. What would a Star Wars space shooter be without those.

30. Erzeal says:

Looks lame. I want X-Wing, Tie Fighter style combat. No thanks.

31. bleeters says:

I… it. Hrmm.

It’s times like this that I remind myself how mechanically tedious EVE’s combat actually is, and yet it usuallyremains breathtaking to be involved in. Or to put it another way: that doesn’t look all that amazing, but I expect it’ll turn out to be decent fun, so I’ll remain vaguely optimistic until I see it first hand. At the very least, they can’t possibly screw up vehicles any worse than Warcraft has.

Failing that, pew pew zap pow.

32. Deoden says:

Ah Star Wars space lasers, how I’ve missed you…

BLATBLATBLATBLATBLATBLATBLABLATBLATBLAT.

Feel free to correct my onomatopoeia with your own.

33. SuperNashwan says:

The voice acting is still all over the place. I really fear that it’s going to be this poor in the final release given the sheer volume of it they’re recording.

34. Nick says:

Huh.. kinda of sad that Jump to Light Speed played much better than this looks.

35. DerShcraa says:

Looks like Star Fox 64.
    [/troll]

36. Barman1942 says:

The second I heard “Here They Come!” I was sold. BEST track from ANY Star Wars movie.

37. Kid A says:

My inner nerd has a massive erection and is running around my head with his arms out yelling FLWAP FLWAP PHREEEEEOW FLWAP FLWAP FLWAP BOOM
    The rest of me doesn’t care, since I haven’t played any subscription MMO since I dropped out of EVE a few months ago. But still, looks more than adequate considering it will likely be little more than a highly interactive way of getting into instances instead of magical teleporters.

38. Zombat says:

Anyone else mute the sound and play the star fox theme ?

39. Bob's Lawn Service says:

This depresses me.

How hard could it have beeen to incorporate a slightly simplified X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter engine into the game? The space combat is optional, isn’t it?

40. Jesterrr says:

I couldn’t help but hear Peter Griffin humming along with the music in my head…

I’d attempt to type what that might be like in text but… I don’t know where to start.

41. Santori says:

*sigh*

I had high hopes for this game but my expectations are continuously being lowered. I know it would have been a colossal development project to develop a TIE fighter style space sim within an MMO – though God knows Lucas and Bioware have enough money. I have to ask though, if you can’t make a fully 3D space sim in the game, why bother? Spend those resources making the core game (ground combat) better.

Whatever. Maybe the arcade style rail shooter will be fun. Fun or not though, I’ll probably still feel like I’m playing a mini game instead of being fully immersed in the universe of space combat glory I experienced in TIE Fighter or X-Wing Alliance.

• Nick says:

“know it would have been a colossal development project to develop a TIE fighter style space sim within an MMO”

It was sort of done in the last Star Wars MMO. Sort of.

42. X says:

PORKINS NOOO!!

43. Dhatz says:

good thing it sucks(look at the BS anims), well it’s a mmo, there is no way around it. At least I won’t regret not playing this(or the pirate in me won’t).

44. Look says:

Looks like a fun time. I’m excited.

45. oo says:

Wow, he’s better at that than I am

46. authentic coach outlet says:

Thank you for this worthwhile information authentic coach outlet I must post a link on my blog so my associates can benefit from it also.

47. theqavish says:

The Cottages at Windermere House offer luxury Fractional Ownership of three bedroom cottages on prestigious Lake Rosseau in Muskoka. Fractional ownership at this landmark Muskoka resort provides the benefits of carefree and private cottage ownership in a magnificent resort setting.

48. khalilrwp says:

The rest of me doesn’t care, since I haven’t played any subscription MOM since I dropped out of EVE a few months ago. But still, looks more than adequate considering it will likely be little more than a highly interactive way of getting into instances instead of magical teleprompters.Paint Zoom

Comment on this story